Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pick a number, any number
Pillbug

Robo Reagan posted:

tho the late 40s early 50s bored housewives that dont stop asking simple questions that are explained in more detail in the textbook should die imo
It's even better when the question isn't about the material specifically but the actual meta of the classroom. Like when they ask a bunch of inane questions about how many questions will be on the test as if that's going to change anything about how well you do on it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
There was a girl in my college year that was like 16 and hyper smart but the joke was on her because she was way younger than everyone else, a know it all, and had no social skills whatsoever because she moved to a different school every year when she was younger. Gg

ziasquinn
Jan 1, 2006

Fallen Rib
After dropping out for two years, tutoring high schoolers, getting medicated, I only want to go back to school so I can laugh at how retarded I was before

[Im gay]

The Dipshit
Dec 21, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Dicere posted:

It feels like cheating because the first year of undergrad is laughably easy.

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FordPRefectLL posted:

i already did all the gen ed stuff when i was like 19-20 and it transferred over, i'm not doing first year stuff
So the the equivalent of 7th or 8th grade for a 20 year old, still not even in high school yet. I hope you've pieced it together why this is an embarrassing thing to pretend is an accomplishment as opposed to a hidden shame you should carry around.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

ArbitraryC posted:

So the the equivalent of 7th or 8th grade for a 20 year old, still not even in high school yet. I hope you've pieced it together why this is an embarrassing thing to pretend is an accomplishment as opposed to a hidden shame you should carry around.

Tell us about your life

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

Your Dead Gay Son posted:

There was a girl in my college year that was like 16 and hyper smart but the joke was on her because she was way younger than everyone else, a know it all, and had no social skills whatsoever because she moved to a different school every year when she was younger. Gg
Due to a program where you can take community college courses to overlap with highschool credits and count towards your future degree I entered college as a junior at 18. My academic adviser was like how about taking a bunch of stuff not relevant to your major so you can spend some time developing social skills and networking. Was best advice ever and I'm super glad I didn't just pound my major's courses and leave, though I had a free ride so there wasn't a lot of cons to just taking my time.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

ArbitraryC posted:

Due to a program where you can take community college courses to overlap with highschool credits and count towards your future degree I entered college as a junior at 18. My academic adviser was like how about taking a bunch of stuff not relevant to your major so you can spend some time developing social skills and networking. Was best advice ever and I'm super glad I didn't just pound my major's courses and leave, though I had a free ride so there wasn't a lot of cons to just taking my time.

(the advice didnt work instead you posted on the internet about drugs and got mad about other people doing well)

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FordPRefectLL posted:

Tell us about your life
Like you I'm 26 (well barely). I have a graduate degree in chemical engineering and work in a national lab. I haven't gotten much traveling in yet (except for a bit in the US and canada) but I grew up in a single parent household with poverty level income so it wasn't too feasible. Now I make bank and am building up some vacation time and will probably take a long trip overseas within a year or two.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

you should do that good luck where do you want to go

Irradiation
Sep 14, 2005

I understand your frustration.

Waltzing Along posted:

Everyone hates you, OP. Especially the teachers.

hofnar
Dec 27, 2008

by sebmojo

Tuxedo Gin posted:

good job being an insufferable prick

Actually you seem to have this covered

hofnar fucked around with this message at 19:19 on Sep 25, 2014

ArbitraryC
Jan 28, 2009
Pillbug

FordPRefectLL posted:

(the advice didnt work instead you posted on the internet about drugs and got mad about other people doing well)
Drugs are p cool and I'm glad I got into them. Mellowed me out a lot and probably played a large role in me being good at stem fields but not an insufferable libertarian. A bit of growing/selling also helped me stretch that grad student budget out just a bit more.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
What ju co you go to OP?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Darth123123 posted:

What ju co you go to OP?

Arizona state university junior college

raton
Jul 28, 2003

by FactsAreUseless
The TA is younger than me and it makes it easy to bully him.

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tuxedo Gin posted:

any intellectual superiority you think you gained by being a world traveler is immediately lost by the fact that you're going into IT and list "MUDs" as an interest on your profile

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Sheep-Goats posted:

sounds like a worthwhile use of class time. the rest of the class thinks it's totally funny too btw

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Sheep-Goats posted:

I do this too haha

bollig
Apr 7, 2006

Never Forget.
I'm like thirty and I"m going to grad school in Europe. I'm going to get a masters for like $3500. poo poo owns.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

bollig posted:

I'm like thirty and I"m going to grad school in Europe. I'm going to get a masters for like $3500. poo poo owns.

cool. next time pick a subject where you get paid to go to grad school it owns even more

a creepy colon
Oct 28, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Why don't you Master interviewing techniques so you can land a PhD canidate position haha

Cool NIN Shirt
Nov 26, 2007

by vyelkin
going back to college as an older person is cool bc then you can trade legally-purchased booze for adderall with your underage classmates. Also, be sure to flash some chest hair to "rustle the jollies" of teenage coeds

Khorne
May 1, 2002

ArbitraryC posted:

But don't you see he's going through material people 8 years his junior are tackling in between partying and loving constantly, it's a feat to be bragged about for sure. I was only slightly exaggerating about a 20 year old chilling with elementary school students, it'd be the equivalent of being a 20 year old in ~6th grade.
School actually gets harder after your mid twenties.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

ArbitraryC posted:

But don't you see he's going through material people 8 years his junior are tackling in between partying and loving constantly, it's a feat to be bragged about for sure. I was only slightly exaggerating about a 20 year old chilling with elementary school students, it'd be the equivalent of being a 20 year old in ~6th grade.

And remember, this is you as a mellowed-out non-libertarian STEM-lord.

Rhymenoserous
May 23, 2008

FordPRefectLL posted:

i'm going into IT

lol certification trumps education dummy.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Khorne posted:

School actually gets harder after your mid twenties.

only because you generally have to work full time while doing it. i don't think that's something that somebody who spent their entire adult life loving around in asia/europe/haiwaii needs to worry about

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

GJ spending a majority of your 20's being a failure OP

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah well I dropped out of college to work and look how cool I am now

Pretty drat cool

I have no future!

Horniest Manticore
Nov 23, 2013

Hello, you!
Lipstick Apathy

Inzombiac posted:

Yeah well I dropped out of college to work and look how cool I am now

Pretty drat cool

I have no future!

that intro to women's studies course really would have put you over the top

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

Rhymenoserous posted:

A degree sure doesn't hurt though, especially if you ever want to get onto a management track.

vyst
Aug 25, 2009

Rhymenoserous posted:

Not anymore. You need at least a degree if you're going into a non-programming/non-tier 1 call center monkey field. Degree doesn't need to be in CIS or CS but having a degree is important now and is used as a filter for a lot of companies.

Pendent
Nov 16, 2011

The bonds of blood transcend all others.
But no blood runs stronger than that of Sanguinius
Grimey Drawer

vyst posted:

Not anymore. You need at least a degree if you're going into a non-programming/non-tier 1 call center monkey field. Degree doesn't need to be in CIS or CS but having a degree is important now and is used as a filter for a lot of companies.

My experience has been different but I also went to a trade school so:shrug:

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

vyst posted:

GJ spending a majority of your 20's being a failure OP

I remember one day I woke up after a nap on a beach in Bali next to my ex and being like "I've failed"

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
which subject is cooler with pooping yrself in class

i think womens studies would frown on that whereas IT would be like "nbd"

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

Good luck drowning in skizz op

Costello Jello
Oct 24, 2003

It had to start somewhere

Tuxedo Gin posted:

actually it's not a waste i just think this is a dumb thread

You're so mad at the OP who turns out to be pretty much exactly you. Do you hate yourself? Let's get deep here.

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Costello Jello posted:

You're so mad at the OP who turns out to be pretty much exactly you. Do you hate yourself? Let's get deep here.

ya but the real point is that i like to make fun of anyone who tries to brag about dumb poo poo online because at the end of the day we all paid to post on the internet and have nothing to be proud of

Action Yak
Nov 9, 2008

I had never taken the ACT in high school but it was required to move on to university (not required for community college) so I took an ACT prep class. It was me and twenty teenagers. Really loving awkward.
Also I didn't read the thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tuxedo Gin
May 21, 2003

Classy.

Action Yak Police posted:

Also I didn't read the thread.

that makes you the smartest person here

• Locked thread