Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums
PSA: The 100k weapon is poo poo

What overdrives are you all running? I'm using

- +Weapon damage -Trap damage
- More Trap damage
- Style generation
- Less style to hit level 3
- More health
- More damage but less health

Pole swinging badges are the worst to get though :smith:

CHUMPVILLE posted:

Anyone finished this yet? What are the best Side Missions worth checking out?

One of the ones in the chuck-e-cheese gives you a turret trap which is awesome :v: Another one unlocks a Fedora

hanyolo fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 4, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

I eat Rotheseburgehergh's like you for breakfast
I think I am using:

+ Damage with single shot weapons (for bosses)
+ Damage with automatics (might change this to explosive weapons)
+ style for bouncing
+ style for grinding
+ damage to robots (I used to have +damage to OD but I'm finding myself fighting robots more often now)

I cant remember my 6th right now.

But yeah, mastering the traversal stuff owns a whole bunch, they really nailed the controls in this game. When I first started playing, I basically just grinded everywhere and it felt a little slow. Although I think I only did that because everyone said how slow it looked in videos and how terrible the game was going to be because of it. So it just got into my head - movement=grinding. But then you realize that the grinding is a little slow on purpose because the game isnt about grinding, its about mastering the entire catalog of traversal moves to build up your meter. Its really a pretty clever and well designed system. You cant just master wall running or grinding, you kinda have to master everything to be effective.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013
I am an employee of the Microsoft Gaming Division and they pay me to defend the Xbox One on the Something Awful Forums

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

I think I am using:

Hmm, I do like the idea of the single shot damage upgrade for bosses, might have to give that a go! I've finished the game so these overdrives are mainly for multiplayer which has a bit of everything then a tower d level at the end. Speaking of which, it seems like you need a pretty coordinated group to finish the last one!

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Although I think I only did that because everyone said how slow it looked in videos and how terrible the game was going to be because of it.

Yeah the game is pretty slow before you unlock the air dash and the extra high bounces.

For those wondering as well, to do the tagging challenges you just need to find the "your ad here" billboards and go up to them, there will be a tag option. The high point ones are binoculars around the city which you can use.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hanyolo posted:

For those wondering as well, to do the tagging challenges you just need to find the "your ad here" billboards and go up to them, there will be a tag option. The high point ones are binoculars around the city which you can use.

And like the phones, once you find one of them it unlocks the maps showing all of them.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
This game looks so good it is making me want a bone. However, I already have a PS4 and a WiiU.

But I think I will wait for a possible PC release or just borrow a friends and play it on that.

It makes me wonder, at what price point does a bone become worthwhile $250? $200?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A console is worth buying once the games worth owning for it total up to more than the cost of the console.

So like $340 in games to go unless you like sim racers. But if you like those you're probably bad with money anyway.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

This game looks so good it is making me want a bone. However, I already have a PS4 and a WiiU.

But I think I will wait for a possible PC release or just borrow a friends and play it on that.

It makes me wonder, at what price point does a bone become worthwhile $250? $200?

Just trade in your PS4 + games, you'll probably come ahead cash wise anyway. Then get a PS4 again when Bloodborne/Uncharted/Something good actually comes out on it.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

So other than just grinding mobs is there any way to get Overcharge after you've beaten the game and gotten gold on all the challenges? Replaying the missions seems to give you money, but not Overcharge, and I've still got like, 8 guns to buy and only about half of the OC I need to buy them.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

TheJoker138 posted:

So other than just grinding mobs is there any way to get Overcharge after you've beaten the game and gotten gold on all the challenges? Replaying the missions seems to give you money, but not Overcharge, and I've still got like, 8 guns to buy and only about half of the OC I need to buy them.

- Chaos squad (slot machines at the end give you a chance of up to 5000 OC)
- Side quests
- Killing Fizzco stuff around the map and the big mobs (I presume this is what you mean by grinding)
- Finding overcharge trucks and opening them

That's all I can think of

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hanyolo posted:

- Chaos squad (slot machines at the end give you a chance of up to 5000 OC)
- Side quests
- Killing Fizzco stuff around the map and the big mobs (I presume this is what you mean by grinding)
- Finding overcharge trucks and opening them

That's all I can think of

I'm 100% done with all the single player content, so no side quests left. I was worried about this. Welp, guess I'll wait for the DLC and hope it has quests that give me more OC than I need for the new stuff so I can get all the other guns I still need.

Lumpy the Cook
Feb 4, 2011

Drippy-goo-yay, mother-gunker!
How many customization items are there in this game, roughly?

iFriend
Sep 11, 2001

Having a bad day?
I just finished the main story yeterday. It took me 12 hours incl. dicking around. It's a great game which I can recommend, though the humor didn't apply to me at all and the quests are pretty easy at the end.

Looking forward to the DLC's and Multiplayer now! Is there any info yet about their relase date?

Lumpy the Cook posted:

How many customization items are there in this game, roughly?

What kind of customization? Weapons, passive Characterskills, Outfit?

Weapons: Around 20
Charskills (passive): Around 50-60 I think
Outfits: Probably hundreds - you almost always get a new wearable item (or weapon/trap) after completing a quest

iFriend fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 7, 2014

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

There's about 200 pieces total from a list I saw.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

Yeah, I finished a day or two ago and clocked in at about 16 hours. Still had a few side mission to do and still havent gotten around to MP. Really fun game.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I have a cool friend.

He has a bone that he purchased day one but has since become enamored with his PS4. As such, he is letting me borrow his console for as long as I want (or until Quantum Break is released.) And now I have the game to play, too.

Will check in with thoughts.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I like the game so far. It's good not great. It is seriously lacking a run mechanic. If you could run when on the ground it would make things a lot smoother. Also, enemy damage meters would be good, as well.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

Waltzing Along posted:

I like the game so far. It's good not great. It is seriously lacking a run mechanic. If you could run when on the ground it would make things a lot smoother. Also, enemy damage meters would be good, as well.

So is running on walls faster than running on the ground?

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Once you unlock the air dash, you will never touch the ground again.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

hanyolo posted:

Once you unlock the air dash, you will never touch the ground again.

This. If you're in the ground you're doing it wrong.

ApathyGifted
Aug 30, 2004
Tomorrow?

WEEDLOVER NARUTO posted:

I figured it out. You have to do the story mission with the crane and wrecking ball to get inside the building.

Oh, so that's how that hole got there.

I glitched through the wall during the story mission while trying to get the cell phone, and got the cutscene. Was wondering how I was going to get the hell out of the building afterward when I turned 90 degrees, saw a giant hole in the wall, and thought "how the gently caress did I miss THAT?"

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

ApathyGifted posted:

I glitched through the wall during the story mission while trying to get the cell phone, and got the cutscene. Was wondering how I was going to get the hell out of the building afterward when I turned 90 degrees, saw a giant hole in the wall, and thought "how the gently caress did I miss THAT?"

Hahah that's great. I would definitely recommend finishing the story before going for all the smartphones :v: seems like a few of them are in areas you can only get to via the story.

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

So is running on walls faster than running on the ground?

Way faster, running on the ground is slow as poo poo. You'll die to weak enemies, the scabs machine guns chew you up if you're on the floor and one hit from the big OD takes you close to death.

There's an achievement called "The floor is lava" you get it for stringing together 100 different traversal moves without touching the ground. I found it really hard to get at first but now I'm 12 or so hours in I'm often over 100 during normal combat. The traversal in this game is extremely fun. I've never bothered with fast travel.

Bought some new guns, all of which have been decent except for the spanner boomerang one, seems to do no damage at all. Does it get good?

I'm pretty far in now but I have been messing around with the challenges and collectibles more than I've been completing the story. I like the leaderboards, it's nice to try to beat the goons on my friendslist. Eric WK you are fast.

This is honestly one of the most fun games i've ever played and I'm not just saying that because I'm in love with phil spencer

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Crafty posted:

Bought some new guns, all of which have been decent except for the spanner boomerang one, seems to do no damage at all. Does it get good?

Spanner boomerang is only good against fizzco bots, seems to do decent damage to them for me but I generally just use the AK instead unless I'm out of ammo. I think the best bought weapon I've got so far is the hair spray bomb.

WinnebagoWarrior
Apr 8, 2009

hanyolo posted:

Spanner boomerang is only good against fizzco bots, seems to do decent damage to them for me but I generally just use the AK instead unless I'm out of ammo. I think the best bought weapon I've got so far is the hair spray bomb.

Hairspray bomb owns super hard. The Fizzco Rifle was my weapon of choice against the bots though, particularly towards the end when there are tond of them.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

WinnebagoWarrior posted:

Hairspray bomb owns super hard. The Fizzco Rifle was my weapon of choice against the bots though, particularly towards the end when there are tond of them.

The boomerang with ice amp and the shocker also work really well.

Anyway I just finished the game and its good as hell. Probably one of the best games this year.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I find this game very tiring. I've never experienced that with a game before. I play for 20-30 minutes and am just tired and want to do something else. I like the game but I hate having to deal with jumping/grinding during combat. I love the jumping/grinding mechanic but it becomes a chore, for me, while shooting.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Drug Free Since: Lunch
I thought I was getting pretty good at this until I tried multiplayer and got last every time. Guess I need to pay more attention to amps and poo poo but I'd rather spend money on guns than maps. Weirdly, I'm finding the challenges super fun, where usually I hate those kinds of things. I think it's because the difficulty is tuned really well, and it's only after two or three tries that it will click and I'll think, "oh, I see how I'm supposed to do this" and then just get better at it until I do.

The xbone hate around here is kind of a bummer but I guess that's preaching to the choir these days. Game's fun ya'll.

History Comes Inside!
Nov 20, 2004

Waltzing Along posted:

I find this game very tiring. I've never experienced that with a game before. I play for 20-30 minutes and am just tired and want to do something else. I like the game but I hate having to deal with jumping/grinding during combat. I love the jumping/grinding mechanic but it becomes a chore, for me, while shooting.

That's called boredom.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I agree with Waltzing, like the gun play is fun but having to manage jumps and everything kinda sucks. Granted I haven't unlocked Air Dash yet but it's just kind of tiring. Also you seem to do the same thing over and over and over again. Grind rails > shoot.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Air dash makes such an enormous difference in this game that I can't believe you don't start with it. They only keep it from you for like 4 missions but even that's too many. The whole game changes and I find myself just jumping off of tall buildings knowing that between jump distance + air dash I'll be able to hit the building/wire across the street.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

kaptainkaffeine posted:

Air dash makes such an enormous difference in this game that I can't believe you don't start with it. They only keep it from you for like 4 missions but even that's too many. The whole game changes and I find myself just jumping off of tall buildings knowing that between jump distance + air dash I'll be able to hit the building/wire across the street.

Yeah air dash and the higher bounce should have been available from the beginning as well as the explanation for how to wall run around corners.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
No way it's 4 missions; i'm easily about 10 in and still have yet to get it.

kaptainkaffeine
Apr 1, 2003

Didn't seem like that many. Advice would be to plow through story missions until you get it. Also, agreed on the wall running thing.

Haruharuharuko
Mar 24, 2008

Yeah I lied; so what is the truth?

Playing as Rowsdower and man it makes this game loving more amazing

also they made a direct Gymkata reference GOTY

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Once you finish the main story, can you go back and finish side missions? Does anything get locked out?

Also, how to deal with the robots? I don't seem to have anything that takes them out well at all. Those fights loving suck.

hanyolo
Jul 18, 2013

Waltzing Along posted:

Once you finish the main story, can you go back and finish side missions? Does anything get locked out?

Also, how to deal with the robots? I don't seem to have anything that takes them out well at all. Those fights loving suck.

Nothing gets locked out.

The first time you see the fizzco robots they're hard to deal with, but you unlock some weapons pretty quickly a few (main story) missions after that gives you good damage against them.

VincesUndies
Jul 18, 2002

Vince McMahon's Underpants
I found the turret copters to be pretty good against robots.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Finished the main game. Just have side missions to finish. Are there collectibles I should focus on other than the phones? I don't really care about overdrives and upgrades. Just story content.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Crafty
Dec 9, 2003

I CAN'T SEE SHIT.

xbox one is the best

Waltzing Along posted:

Finished the main game. Just have side missions to finish. Are there collectibles I should focus on other than the phones? I don't really care about overdrives and upgrades. Just story content.

There's collectible maps you buy from the gun store. The collectibles will then show up on the minimap. There's something like 100 shoes, 100 pieces of toilet paper and maybe 150 fizzie balloons. They don't have any story element attached to them but they do have ACHIEVEMENTS and they act as a currency for buying amps from Floyd.

In regards to dealing with Robots. Personally I use my TNTeddy or my magnum pistol. If you put the shocker amp into either, or both of those weapons they wreck robots. Also I have an amp that makes my melee swing shoot lightning which freezes the robots and damages them tons. The shockwave melee smash down amp is extremely powerful against all enemies, kills bunches of robots in one hit.

Another choice I'd recommend is the fizzie acid sprayers, equip them with the the electricity amp and they kill everything really well. There's also those overdrive things that you can upgrade to do more damage to specific enemies.

The guns have star ratings to show which enemies they damage most in the weapon wheel menu if you get stuck.

Add me on your friends list and try to beat my scores in the challenges : crybabygeeks

:siren: Warning :siren:

I'm an exceptionally good gamer

I just bought the nuclear blast amp and it's awesome. I only just realised you can buy more amps so I've got tons to collect. I previously thought you had to win them in night defense

Crafty fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Nov 29, 2014

• Locked thread