Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

Sith Happens posted:

I wonder why they decided to make the neck of the command tower so much taller? None of the other proportions of the ship seem to be exaggerated by the overall animation style, so why that?

Vader stretched its neck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

Sith Happens posted:

I wonder why they decided to make the neck of the command tower so much taller? None of the other proportions of the ship seem to be exaggerated by the overall animation style, so why that?

The TIE Fighters have stubby little wings that are more in line with the original toy from the 1970's than how it actually appeared in film.

Also, those walkers aren't AT-PT's, but a different model based on the original AT-ST concept art from Empire Strikes Back.

Mecha Gojira fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Oct 9, 2014

Sith Happens
Jun 7, 2005

You will find that it is you
who are mistaken.

About a great many things.

Oh man, that takes me way back. Whatever year it would have been, that was my favorite Christmas present. The laser lit up and tried really hard to make something that vaguely resembled a pew-pew sound. :3:

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Finally saw that first episode. I loved the hilariously bummed stormtroopers after they were trapped in the cell.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?

Mecha Gojira posted:

Also, those walkers aren't AT-PT's, but a different model based on the original AT-ST concept art from Empire Strikes Back.

Oh drat, didn't even realize that! That's cool that they're going for some really old school styles. As for Star Wars Mary Sue's, I think Shadows of the Empire takes the cake with Xizor. Funnily enough, it was so over the top, he ended up looking like an idiot.

MrBigglesworth
Mar 26, 2005

Lover of Fuzzy Meatloaf
All I ask about the JEJ thing is that it be more than 2 sentences.

I was so looking forward to seeing DV in Episode 3, but to get what he said as it was said is my only real gripe of the prequels. Yes we saw him, yes we got new Vader dialogue....I don't even mind the Noooo, but..just....ugh..

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Sith Happens posted:

Have they assigned it a new class name and backstory over at Wookiepedia yet?

thelaughingman
Mar 14, 2005
oooh I like madness!

Cross-Section posted:

Though they should. :colbert:

e: People getting mad about the Canon/Legends stuff gets even more hilarious when A New Dawn and (what's been released so far of) Tarkin are almost indistinguishable reference-wise from the EU at large. They're just angry that Chewie getting crushed by a moon, Darth Jason, Chief of State Daala, and yes, bug orgies, ain't in no more.

Karen Travis is now just a distant memory destined to fade into nothingness.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I mostly agree with you guys about the EU when it comes to narrative content, but the worldbuilding and background info was usually pretty cool I thought. You know, the kind of stuff you'd find in reference books, not novels.

On that note, the Rebels version of Kessel doesn't seem as cool as the EU version where it was an airless asteroid colony orbiting a cluster of black holes. But this new version of Kessel seems to be based on a Lucas description from back when Kessel was going to be featured in TCW, so I won't hold it against Rebels.

Sith Happens posted:

Yeah, I noticed that. Honestly, it's a bit too cartoony for my tastes. I preferred the TCW approach where characters were stylized, but the starships and vehicles had more-or-less realistic proportions.

Cnut the Great fucked around with this message at 10:20 on Oct 10, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
So far I'm liking it. It has a bit of prequelitis where it serves to shrink the world rather than expand it . . . but given that this was just the first episode, a little red meat isn't bad. I'm pumped to see how it all develops.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
So, is it ever going to get as violent and murder happy as clone wars?

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

TOILETLORD posted:

It's been pretty drat violent already. Stormtroopers get mowed down.

alg
Mar 14, 2007

A wolf was no less a wolf because a whim of chance caused him to run with the watch-dogs.

TOILETLORD posted:

How would any of us know that, TOILETLORD

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

TOILETLORD posted:

Well, the book based on it had NO issues with nasty atrocities (not just the bad guys) at least; death by acid bath for just one example. And of course last episode showed Kallus as an accessory to at least one genocide; even off-screen that's pretty dark for "kid's TV" to put it mildly.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!

MadDogMike posted:

And of course last episode showed Kallus as an accessory to at least one genocide; even off-screen that's pretty dark for "kid's TV" to put it mildly.

Not accessory, he was the one who gave the order to shoot Zeb's people. So he's full-on guilty.

Speaking of which, the one thing I really don't like so far is Kallus' characterization. I would have liked him more as an Inspector Javert sort of character, not that bad himself but relentlessly chasing the heroes because from his point of view it's the right thing to do. Instead he went full evil, starting with kicking a stormtrooper to his death as retribution for a quip in the first episode and continuing with being responsible for a genocide and enjoying toying with a survivor's feelings.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Mikl posted:

Speaking of which, the one thing I really don't like so far is Kallus' characterization. I would have liked him more as an Inspector Javert sort of character, not that bad himself but relentlessly chasing the heroes because from his point of view it's the right thing to do. Instead he went full evil, starting with kicking a stormtrooper to his death as retribution for a quip in the first episode and continuing with being responsible for a genocide and enjoying toying with a survivor's feelings.
They can always go the route of he's an honestly nice guy to those he considers his friends (and/or his space puppy), but he has very high in-/out-group differentiation. That would actually be great.

Thom12255
Feb 23, 2013
WHERE THE FUCK IS MY MONEY
I hope they characterise most Imperials as people that truly believe they are making a better galaxy through their acts instead of just being huge pricks.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

meristem posted:

They can always go the route of he's an honestly nice guy to those he considers his friends (and/or his space puppy), but he has very high in-/out-group differentiation. That would actually be great.

There's some possible degree of it already. When he has Ezra has a hostage, despite having every opportunity, he makes no move to harm the boy. Could be a matter of when he's 'on the job', and not. Though he'd still have some element of a petulant dick given what he did to the trooper, but he probably filed that in the report as being Kanan's fault.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Thom12255 posted:

I hope they characterise most Imperials as people that truly believe they are making a better galaxy through their acts instead of just being huge pricks.

...in Star Wars? The biggest Good vs. Evil property out there? An animated Star Wars for kids? Good loving luck. It's mustache twirling villains all the way down.

swickles
Aug 21, 2006

I guess that I don't need that though
Now you're just some QB that I used to know
Well, in the Clone Wars some of the bad guys got arcs and were even portrayed sympathetically, namely Ventress's Night Witch arc. She even ends up helping Asohka and becoming a bounty hunter. So, I doubt they focus on some actual Imperials, but they might toss in some bounty hunters who flip allegiances frequently.

WarLocke
Jun 6, 2004

You are being watched. :allears:

feedmyleg posted:

...in Star Wars? The biggest Good vs. Evil property out there? An animated Star Wars for kids? Good loving luck. It's mustache twirling villains all the way down.

The actual 'good' Star Wars media (KotOR 2 mostly) did a pretty good job of moving the IP away from a simplistic black/white good/evil paradigm.

meristem
Oct 2, 2010
I HAVE THE ETIQUETTE OF STIFF AND THE PERSONALITY OF A GIANT CUNT.

Thom12255 posted:

I honestly hope they don't, and instead choose the route of "we have order now. After so many wars, after so much bleeding, we have order. And peace. (And those kinds have been put in their place.) Why do these people have to go and try to spoil it?"

In other words, show a world where Palpatine and authoritarianism really, truly won. Some people being true believers, others trying to be in order to quell the cognitive dissonance, the new generation growing up not knowing any alternative, and no one really doing anything.

Duncan Doenitz
Nov 17, 2010

There are four lights.
Is anyone else not seeing this in their lineup? I have Dish (lol) and was able to watch SoR on the 3rd, but I don't see tonight's episode on Disney.

DancinBrud
Jul 23, 2007

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Is anyone else not seeing this in their lineup? I have Dish (lol) and was able to watch SoR on the 3rd, but I don't see tonight's episode on Disney.
I believe Disney XD (a separate channel) is the droid you're looking for.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Duncan Doenitz posted:

Yep, it's on channel 174.

tsob
Sep 26, 2006

Chalalala~

meristem posted:

I honestly hope they don't, and instead choose the route of "we have order now. After so many wars, after so much bleeding, we have order. And peace.

All one of them? I mean, it was a big war, but it was the only one in recent memory within the setting as far as I know. Also, your desire is in no way incompatible with the one you quoted.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

feedmyleg posted:

http://www.starwars.com/tv-shows/clone-wars/heroes-on-both-sides

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
The commercials are kinda skeezing me out.

I'm a boy! I play with Power Rangers and Transformer toys!

I'm a girl! My pores are totally too big and I am ugly. Proactive can help me be pretty!

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Yeah, I too am skeezed out by commercials that are for a target audience at least 10 years younger than me.

VaultAggie
Nov 18, 2010

Best out of 71?
The latest episode is up on Disney Xd. Chopper trolling the crew is still hilarious.

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene
It is how they are gendered. Not just "boys play with action figures, girls play with dolls", that makes sense. But it's "boys play with action figures, girls need to make themselves beautiful".

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004
Oh I get it, it's some social justice warrior crap. Chill out and watch a show that is made for 8-13 year old kids without getting all righteous at the commercials.

MadDogMike
Apr 9, 2008

Cute but fanged

VaultAggie posted:

The latest episode is up on Disney Xd. Chopper trolling the crew is still hilarious.

He's probably the best at it, but the competition for 2nd place is fierce among the crew. I could definitely buy this as somebody's Star Wars RPG group, they've got the intra-group taking the piss out of each other down pat ("At least it's not my room" was pretty much PC behavior to perfection). Definitely pretty good character writing; for only a couple episodes in I like the cast chemistry they've got going thus far.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

LoG posted:

Yeah, I too am skeezed out by commercials that are for a target audience at least 10 years younger than me.

Or possibly 40.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

VaultAggie posted:

It really is.

e: Also, a pic of Vader from the pilot re-air:

Cool of them to draw from the McQuarrie designs for the helmet, though in retrospect it's not terribly surprising since they've pretty much done that for the entirety of the show's art design. Not a bad thing, mind you.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 06:18 on Oct 16, 2014

Shbobdb
Dec 16, 2010

by Reene

LoG posted:

Oh I get it, it's some social justice warrior crap. Chill out and watch a show that is made for 8-13 year old kids without getting all righteous at the commercials.

How is what I said crap? Could you please clarify?

The only way I'm reading what you are saying is that it is OK for 8-13 year old girls to be sexualized. And I think that is pretty hosed up.

Do you sexualize 8-13 year old girls? Do you think they should be sexualized?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
God forbid someone criticizes commercials.

screech on the beach
Mar 9, 2004

Shbobdb posted:

The only way I'm reading what you are saying is that it is OK for 8-13 year old girls to be sexualized. And I think that is pretty hosed up.

Jesus Christ, shut up and take this crap back to tumblr.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Shbobdb posted:

I agree with you, but you're not going to get anywhere with it in this thread.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Hakkesshu posted:

I agree with you, but you're not going to get anywhere with it in this thread.

Precisely.

I kept squealing with delight through the first half of the third episode because I have fond memories of the Star Tours ride, but the third act was surprisingly heavy. Thankfully the transition between the silly antics and the discussion of y'know, genocide was a smooth one. The writers did a great job of not creating mood whiplash.

• Locked thread