Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Vernii posted:

I love how conservatives pretend like they wouldn't have been loyalists in a heartbeat.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A7K9k84R5ok

Dicere posted:

Call me old fashioned, but I feel American history as taught in US schools ought to attempt to inculcate a love of country. But the point they're missing is that the United States is a great country precisely because we can talk about the darkness in the national history - and use those issues to give context to what's happening today. Despite all of the bad stuff, I think you can make a good argument that things got better partly because of the American system of government and not in spite of it. Airbrushing away civil disobedience is incomplete, however.

:agreed: healthy love of country is good imho but you also have to accept that, like everything humans are involved in, we've done some pretty nasty poo poo at some points

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Prettz
Sep 3, 2002

StashAugustine posted:

:agreed: healthy love of country is good imho
Why? It's just the location you were born in.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Yup, it's horseshit.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Mariana Horchata posted:

rock rock rock rock

rock n roll high school

Dicere
Oct 31, 2005
Non plaudite modo pecuniam jacite.

Prettz posted:

It's also the location my family was born in, and my great-grandparents emigrated to. It's the location all of my neighbors and most strangers on the street were either born in or emigrated to. Based on that alone, I don't think loving your country is bad thing. The USA, in particular, has a poo poo ton of problems, that much is evident. But it's a drat sight better than a lot of other places on the planet and it got that way through a long tradition of democratic government, civil disobedience, and fundamental human rights - all of which were fought for and all of which are worth learning about.

It's the people who wrap themselves up in the flag that often appreciate it the least. Kids in America can learn about Kent State in history class, while kids in Chinese classrooms aren't allowed to talk about Tiananmen Square. Christians in America will talk about being persecuted when they have to take a cross off of a public building, instead of being thankful the 1st Amendment also says they have the right to attend church in the light of day.

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL

gary oldmans diary posted:

actual history has liberal bias :smug: yeah its called reality you shitheads

wait til you get older then you be a conservative too

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

Prettz posted:

Because you idiot humans function best in societies and a great way to have a well functioning society is to have everybody be happy about the society.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Dicere posted:

There's the other sticking point. I honestly don't remember much from AP history, but hoo boy do I remember tariffs and anti-trust laws and the New Deal. You can't really revere a thing that's never existed.

i remember learning about the gilded age when we had a 'free market' (meaning there was little or no government regulation, not that it was actually free) and lol that was some poo poo right there

it's like hey fuckwads we've already done all this and it wasn't even that long ago pick up a book instead of just parroting the Koch Bros. opinions because they're not really looking out for you.

whatever it's going to get a lot worse before it gets better (if ever)

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 08:11 on Sep 26, 2014

gary oldmans diary
Sep 26, 2005

Gaunab posted:

things conservatives say to wrap up a losing argument for $200 alex

The Droid
Jun 11, 2012

let's go back to the time private mercenaries bombed striking miners from aircraft and attacked with machine-gun laden armored cars and people were payed in company scrip

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
^^ agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Gaunab posted:

Haha the perfect Finishing Move. I guess it's supposed to convey "I know I'm losing this argument, but I'll end it by implying that due to my age I have some sort of mystical wisdom, despite everything that I've said pointing to the opposite, and you don't possess it because you're younger and naive"

But really Conservatives just appeal to the elderly on social issues and promise to take them back to a time that didn't exist and you end up with King Stephen Harper, First of His Name, ruling Canada.

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story
They don't even seem to be trying to pretend that their version is more accurate or correct. Just that they don't really like the history of America.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Are people seriously that mad about a single school in Colorado that pulls poo poo like this, however the school also allows weed smoking on the school campus if you can show your medical card.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

you dumb yankee fucks love to hate on yourselves so much its really funny. yet you still ignore the indian genocide, even bleeding heart liberals barely acknowledge that poo poo. just admit it. you are the american empire and might makes right. stop loving around you two faced hypocrites.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Dr_Amazing posted:

They don't even seem to be trying to pretend that their version is more accurate or correct. Just that they don't really like the history of America.

Sounds mighty unpatriotic.

But yeah, as before mentioned, it's possible to love your country and hate everything that made it what it is because ~*~*~cRAZY@~*~*~*~

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

numberoneposter posted:

you dumb yankee fucks love to hate on yourselves so much its really funny. yet you still ignore the indian genocide, even bleeding heart liberals barely acknowledge that poo poo. just admit it. you are the american empire and might makes right. stop loving around you two faced hypocrites.

um but white people

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

Mulefisk posted:

um but white people
why dont you put another man on the moon about it you monster

oh wait no one cares any more

your country died with regean

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

numberoneposter posted:

why dont you put another man on the moon about it you monster

oh wait no one cares any more

your country died with regean

Everyone in the world almost died with regean

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Professor Shark posted:

Everyone in the world almost died with Obama

ftfy

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

gary oldmans diary posted:

things conservatives say to wrap up a losing argument for $200 alex

You don't want to be old and liberal. You don't want to be that guy.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I think you'll find when you check the history textbooks that there never was a President Obama :smuggo:

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

burritolingus posted:

You don't want to be old and liberal. You don't want to be that guy.

Old Liberals are awesome, they smoke weed and love life

burritolingus
Nov 6, 2007

by Ralp

Professor Shark posted:

Old Liberals are awesome, they smoke weed and love life

Naw pretty much they're creepy and gross and smell bad.

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

numberoneposter posted:

Fart

Orkin Mang
Nov 1, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

burritolingus posted:

Naw pretty much they're creepy and gross and smell bad.

thats old hippies and old lyndon johnsons

Ah Map
Oct 9, 2012
So are they saying Marduk was the baddie not Tiamat?

treasured8elief
Jul 25, 2011

Salad Prong

The Droid posted:

let's go back to the time private mercenaries bombed striking miners from aircraft and attacked with machine-gun laden armored cars and people were payed in company scrip
let's rent a home in our company's beautiful town

plain blue jacket
Jan 13, 2014

IT DOESN'T STOP
IT NEVER STOPS

The Taint Reaper posted:

Are people seriously that mad about a single school in Colorado that pulls poo poo like this, however the school also allows weed smoking on the school campus if you can show your medical card.

yes people are mad that a bad thing has happened. It's pretty gay I agree but these homos don't have the guts to vote Romney

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

lol america

CountButtula
Jan 5, 2014
boomers did nothing wrong

Jesus Christ
Jun 1, 2000

mods if you can make this my avatar I will gladly pay 10bux to the coffers

Kanthulhu posted:

I think that's what Jesus would want.

Edit:
It's right there in the bible: "And so sayeth the LORD: stop thinking by yourselves you fools!" (Douchebagians 6:13)

If everybody doesn't emptyquote me then I am a failed prophet

Rad ROM Max
Mar 10, 2011

by XyloJW

quote:

Conservative activists fear losing local control over what is taught in schools, particularly when it comes to the meaning of American history. In interviews, they expressed an uneasiness with a view of history that examines groups rather than focusing on heroic individuals. While they decried the fact that civil rights figures like Dr. King were not explicitly named in the framework, they could have done without the mention of leftist groups that defined the 1960s like the Students for a Democratic Society and the Black Panthers. They also disagreed with the College Board over how children should learn, with Krieger and his allies preferring a curriculum based on memorizing facts to one based on critical thinking.

this is real life

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!

Beige posted:

Superintendent Dan McMinimee is a boss name.

You couldn't make him more of a stereotypical 80's high school movie villain if you called him Stan Stricter or Bob Killbuzz.

Inside Out Mom
Jan 9, 2004

Franklin B. Znorps
Dignity, Class, Internet

Daedra posted:

johnny appleseed was gay

:sissies:

Maldoror
Oct 5, 2003

by R. Guyovich
Nap Ghost
sic the social justice warriors on them

they'll be sorry

very, very sorry

Randandal
Feb 26, 2009

When will South Park condense this into a 22 minute analogy?

I'm guessing 3 weeks

Applewhite
Aug 16, 2014

by vyelkin
Nap Ghost
We want goodfacts, not realfacts.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Haha the perfect Finishing Move. I guess it's supposed to convey "I know I'm losing this argument, but I'll end it by implying that due to my age I have some sort of mystical wisdom, despite everything that I've said pointing to the opposite, and you don't possess it because you're younger and naive"

But really Conservatives just appeal to the elderly on social issues and promise to take them back to a time that didn't exist and you end up with King Stephen Harper, First of His Name, ruling Canada.

It's annoying because superficially that's more or less the original quote's message but the wisdom it meant was experience-driven respect for how difficult political reform is to implement and for how impossible the actual real-world changes that will result are to predict. That doesn't really describe American conservatives since they use 'conservative' to mean 'agrees with the changes I want to see' and only wave the change-is-bad flag when they're trying to stop their opponents from doing stuff.

If anyone cares, it's also a misquote. Francois Guizot said the original quote, which was "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head." Guizot was a politician in post-Napoleonic France, and the quote refers to his own pragmatism-first political attitude. He favored increasing political freedom and giving power to the people, which was sensible for someone whose early adulthood took place under Napoleon's reign. He also opposed a sharp transition to a republic, which also was sensible for someone whose father was guillotined during the Reign of Terror when he was 6. He tried making a constitutional monarchy work but it didn't because both sides hated it, and him, and the opposite side, and the kings he was working with were giant morons. Not that any conservatives stealing his line give a poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
I thought the internet would stamp out a lot of poo poo like this because people could just look stuff up and be like "oh, wait, that's a load of bullshit" but no instead we got freep and facebook and that one conservative version of facebook too

it just provided an equal pedestal for bullshit where every joe and jane shitbrain could claim any drat thing they wanted without repercussions somehow

Truth is if you can get enough people believing or saying something it will be Right, just keep saying it over and over until it sticks

gently caress

• Locked thread