Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
^^ agreed
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6ueDHn2HTk

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Haha the perfect Finishing Move. I guess it's supposed to convey "I know I'm losing this argument, but I'll end it by implying that due to my age I have some sort of mystical wisdom, despite everything that I've said pointing to the opposite, and you don't possess it because you're younger and naive"

But really Conservatives just appeal to the elderly on social issues and promise to take them back to a time that didn't exist and you end up with King Stephen Harper, First of His Name, ruling Canada.

It's annoying because superficially that's more or less the original quote's message but the wisdom it meant was experience-driven respect for how difficult political reform is to implement and for how impossible the actual real-world changes that will result are to predict. That doesn't really describe American conservatives since they use 'conservative' to mean 'agrees with the changes I want to see' and only wave the change-is-bad flag when they're trying to stop their opponents from doing stuff.

If anyone cares, it's also a misquote. Francois Guizot said the original quote, which was "Not to be a republican at 20 is proof of want of heart; to be one at 30 is proof of want of head." Guizot was a politician in post-Napoleonic France, and the quote refers to his own pragmatism-first political attitude. He favored increasing political freedom and giving power to the people, which was sensible for someone whose early adulthood took place under Napoleon's reign. He also opposed a sharp transition to a republic, which also was sensible for someone whose father was guillotined during the Reign of Terror when he was 6. He tried making a constitutional monarchy work but it didn't because both sides hated it, and him, and the opposite side, and the kings he was working with were giant morons. Not that any conservatives stealing his line give a poo poo.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Hold the phone, guys, it turns out that this may actually be an evil :argh:LIBERAL UNION OBAMA:argh: plot!

_____/____________

Michelle Malkin is the author of Culture of Corruption: Obama and His Team of Tax Cheats, Crooks and Cronies

I'm not normally tempted to get all :awesome: calling out rhetorical fallacies but I don't think I've ever seen more weasel words in a single article. I'm actually kind of impressed.

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Professor Shark posted:

Missed this gem somehow, this seals it:

Holy poo poo

proof of concept
Mar 6, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

King Vidiot posted:

I'm more just amused by the fact that these people's minds are so clouded that they can, without any hint of self-awareness, refer to their opponents as progressives as if progress were a bad thing. Progress by definition is considered positive change, and they're pretty much openly admitting that they're against positive change.

This is actually a surprising rhetorical blunder considering how conscientious conservatives usually are of framing their positions, so it probably won't last that long

• Locked thread