Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
How do you look at an early access game and not think, "sure this game sucks now, but they promise that the $20 cost will go toward making it totally awesome!!!!!"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

but it's fun with goons

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
Sometimes you end up with something cool and with a future, developed by competent individuals with a clear direction and the means to achieve it, like Planetary Annihilation.

Other times, you end up with Starbound.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer

NakedWithCandy posted:

How do you look at an early access game and not think, "sure this game sucks now, but they promise that the $20 cost will go toward making it totally awesome!!!!!"

I don't. :smug:

Seriously though, I don't do much multiplayer, I'm too old to enjoy paying to beta test/QA/focus group a game that may not survive development, and in general I think EA is a great way to show that games are like the law and sausage: if you love them, you don't want to see them being made.

Bieeanshee fucked around with this message at 04:10 on Sep 26, 2014

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
Nuclear Throne and Prison Architect are pretty great. I think I managed to come out on top with that gamble.

NakedWithCandy
Sep 22, 2014
Also, it's like, I can't believe another indie came up with a unique and orginal use for zombies in their game.

Rookersh
Aug 19, 2010

NakedWithCandy posted:

I don't.

I only buy EA games that are done enough that even if the devs gently caress off with the money then and there, I'll still be able to look at what I bought and feel like I got a good deal.

Doorkickers, Prison Architect, Gnomoria, and a few others are all EA games that fall in that camp for me.

I'm also willing to jump in on EA games that have a good update history, or the devs have a roadmap they are sticking to. Full Mojo Rampage, Crypt of the Necrodancer, or Book of Unwritten Tales 2 are in this catagory.

Sometimes I'm willing to buy off name alone. I know Klei has delivered on EA games before, and works well with a budget, as such I can likely trust them with Invisible Inc, even if it's not quite done. Gaslamp is goonrun, and they've been pretty open about everything, so I feel if I bought that I'd eventually end up getting something resembling what they promised out of it. I don't do this often though, because I don't want unfinished games on my account, and by the time I buy them, they'll usually be almost done/show they've got a plan.

I've only had one bad case with EA so far and that was Spacebase. Even then it was because I trusted Double Fine as a company, and was willing to buy off the initial pitch. Even then I was slightly disappointed in myself for buying it on day one, because it lacked content even back then. But I learned my lesson from that, so that likely won't happen again.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

karl fungus posted:

Other times, you end up with Starbound.

What happened with Starbound? I forgot that was a thing that existed until now.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Rookersh posted:

I don't.

I only buy EA games that are done enough that even if the devs gently caress off with the money then and there, I'll still be able to look at what I bought and feel like I got a good deal.

Doorkickers, Prison Architect, Gnomoria, and a few others are all EA games that fall in that camp for me.

I'm also willing to jump in on EA games that have a good update history, or the devs have a roadmap they are sticking to. Full Mojo Rampage, Crypt of the Necrodancer, or Book of Unwritten Tales 2 are in this catagory.

Sometimes I'm willing to buy off name alone. I know Klei has delivered on EA games before, and works well with a budget, as such I can likely trust them with Invisible Inc, even if it's not quite done. Gaslamp is goonrun, and they've been pretty open about everything, so I feel if I bought that I'd eventually end up getting something resembling what they promised out of it. I don't do this often though, because I don't want unfinished games on my account, and by the time I buy them, they'll usually be almost done/show they've got a plan.

I've only had one bad case with EA so far and that was Spacebase. Even then it was because I trusted Double Fine as a company, and was willing to buy off the initial pitch. Even then I was slightly disappointed in myself for buying it on day one, because it lacked content even back then. But I learned my lesson from that, so that likely won't happen again.

DOn't use EA as an acronym for early access, I will savagely attack you.

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lPYkOMj-3iI

Great Joe
Aug 13, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=If36dGoKLr8
yes a company that has made more than 7 minutes of footage of just their logo is an entity i can trust with my money

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

Early access was really cool because it allowed gamers (lol) to take the gold in the "Worst Consumer Olympics"

Beta test your game for you and also take your word that this game will be finished with all the wonderful features you promised in it will make it in? Sign me up for your survival horror/voxel zombie game, you twenty first century snake oil salesman, you.

Edit: hey selling early access to my book over here. Please ignore the typos and the lack of an ending, going to add character development in the next update. That'll be twenty bucks pls

Zelder fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Sep 26, 2014

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

Dr. Fetus posted:

The developers haven't put out a new update since March. There are have been unstable nightly builds with new content, but that's about it. I believe the developers also moved at one point. Their blog is updated almost daily with pictures of new content they are working on, but I guess they don't want to release a small amount at a time.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

NakedWithCandy posted:

Also, it's like, I can't believe another indie came up with a unique and orginal use for zombies in their game.

You should do stand-up comedy brah.

What's the DEAL with indie developers?

Trilin
Dec 15, 2009

Ah! There he is!
Early access had a lot of good intention, but beyond that its total poo poo.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde
If Starbound doesn't kill early access, the flood of unfinished, generic "survival crafting" games will.

hello internet
Sep 13, 2004

Kerbal Space program seems to be working out so far.

Zigmidge
May 12, 2002

Exsqueeze me, why the sour face? I'm here to lemon aid you. Let's juice it.

Zelder posted:

Early access was really cool because it allowed gamers (lol) to take the gold in the "Worst Consumer Olympics"

This thread is going to be pages of idiots sharing their personal stories of wins and losses in the foray of early access titles but in the end it's still just this.

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo
Since you're new I am going to do you a favor. You should not have made this thread. Your entire OP would have been right at home as a post inside the Steam thread though.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp

Dr. Fetus posted:

Development has been extremely slow, and they recently announced they are doing another game alongside continuing Starbound. And that new game is being written in Haskell, meaning that not only is development slowed just by having more things on their plate, but the programmers don't any loving clue what they are doing and are probably going to make a lot of mistakes juggling two very different languages.

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

karl fungus posted:

If Starbound doesn't kill early access, the flood of unfinished, generic "survival crafting" games will.

Nothing will kill Early Access because gamers (again, lol) have literally no impulse control.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Ive kind of stopped buying Early Access games. Its just not worth it for me because they usually change quite a bit, and not always for the better, and who knows how long it will take before it is done or if it ever will be done.

LLJKSiLk
Jul 7, 2005

by Athanatos
Some Early Access games (Space Engineers) have had an exciting experience because they have a very active development and community involvement which allows the progress you paid for to be seen on the fly so-to-speak.

Other games (DayZ, Spacebase DF-9) have been disappointing and not what someone was expecting and eventually seem to wind down before being at a point where you'd want them to be.

Just seems like a mixed bag.

Sea Lily
Aug 5, 2007

Everything changes, Pit.
Even gods.

I think the Minecraft approach was the best one and I'm surprised more developers don't do that.

As in "pay an amount that's appropriate for how much content currently exists, keep the game forever", then you just slowly raise the price as you actually finish the game and flesh things out.

If Spacebase DF-9 had done that, charged like $10 a copy initially and then only raised the price if they added significant content, Double Fine would be seeing less of a blowback than they are for charging full price ($25) for a game they never completed. The Starbound guys were smart enough to price their game pretty low, there's a lot of frustration from current players but most people who bought the game early on for $15 "got their money's worth" and stopped playing by now.

There's something about passing the $20 line that makes your game need to be much more finished and complete than a $10 or $15 game does.

Overall though I would say don't buy Early Access games unless they're either very cheap (spend $5-10 and the game's never finished? no big deal) or backed by a developer that's demonstrated they can support this process long-term, either from another project or from the ongoing development of their current one. Prison Architect falls into that group, I think they've proven that this system can work. There's just a lot of ways to gently caress it up.

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Wasn't Nether a Early Access game that was being developed and then all of a sudden one day they said it was done and stopped working on it, despite still being a unfinished game?

TERRIBLE SHITLORD
Oct 20, 2005

MY NIGGA HAVE
YOU TRIED LSD
The fact that people are still throwing money at the Day Z developers is a true testament to how braindead most gamers are.

Even the assholes that made WarZ (Infestation: Survivor Stories) made more of an effort to update their game.

Yodzilla
Apr 29, 2005

Now who looks even dumber?

Beef Witch
Mount & Blade and Don't Starve were two excellent Early Access games that predated Early Access itself. Welp that's my two cents.

Loomer
Dec 19, 2007

A Very Special Hell
Yeah, Mount & Blade set the bar real high real early for me and almost no games have lived up to it since. I still don't regret my decision to trust a random Turkish man and his wife with my details to buy MnB early on, and watching how they've bloomed has been a goddamn pleasure.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I am totally okay with people throwing money at early access because it means I get to buy the good, finished ones when they go on sale for 75+% discount a few months after release.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Rookersh posted:

I don't.

This, basically. I buy EA games that are cheap and cheerful, if they end up updating and becoming something amazing, that's awesome, but even expensive EA games are cheaper than most traditionally developed games, so even if they have less content, I don't mind paying a few quid for a couple of days diversion.

Throwing money on a wing and a prayer is daft but that's not the only thing you can do with EA games. There's good ones and bad ones and generally, finding which is which involves not getting suckered into the hype. Same as with normal games.

Attack on Princess
Dec 15, 2008

To yolo rolls! The cause and solution to all problems!
I find I don't return to them when they're released, and if the early access version was broken, I don't even play it much in the first place. So I've stopped paying for early access.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat
Early Access is great! I've learned that the widely accepted excuses that many games are terrible because of the publisher is actually a load of crap. Instead it's both developers and publishers that are huge scummy idiots, appealing to the absolute worst people.

And basically,

Chard posted:

I am totally okay with people throwing money at early access because it means I get to buy the good, finished ones when they go on sale for 75+% discount a few months after release.

Carados
Jan 28, 2009

We're a couple, when our bodies double.
Even minus all of that, I don't understand the paying for a game that's all engine that you'll be bored of by the time content is released.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Carados posted:

Even minus all of that, I don't understand the paying for a game that's all engine that you'll be bored of by the time content is released.

Well for me, most of the early access games I own update semi-regularly so I come back to each of them as they update, keeps the game interesting as there's new stuff to try out every time.

Considering how cheap they were to buy it's frankly something of a plus that they're still adding content. I would probably play them less if I bought them complete.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Early access would be fine if Steam was a bit more restrictive with what they allow and follow up with those developers. There needs to be some level of accountability for it to work and as of right now there really isn't. With the Starbound and Spacebase DF-9 fiascos they'll probably raise their standards a bit but as of right now it's kind of hosed.

They also need to pull all of the early access stuff and keep it in its own section away from the main page/listings. Even if there were an easy way to differentiate between early access and completed games WITHOUT opening the game's page it would be a massive improvement. Just a simple blue border around the game's thumbnail would be fine.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

metricchip posted:

Early access would be fine if Steam was a bit more restrictive with what they allow and follow up with those developers. There needs to be some level of accountability for it to work and as of right now there really isn't. With the Starbound and Spacebase DF-9 fiascos they'll probably raise their standards a bit but as of right now it's kind of hosed.

They also need to pull all of the early access stuff and keep it in its own section away from the main page/listings. Even if there were an easy way to differentiate between early access and completed games WITHOUT opening the game's page it would be a massive improvement. Just a simple blue border around the game's thumbnail would be fine.

You mean like steam keeping them in different lists, or something?

Or possibly the ability to filter them out?

Kikka
Feb 10, 2010

I POST STUPID STUFF ABOUT DOCTOR WHO
Early access is pretty much playetesters and PR research that pay you

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

You mean like steam keeping them in different lists, or something?

Or possibly the ability to filter them out?

Either way, really. I'd prefer it be its own list but any way to keep the Early Access stuff away from the rest would be an improvement. At the very least, give us the option to exclude Early Access content. They're getting better about it but we're not quite there

metricchip fucked around with this message at 18:17 on Sep 26, 2014

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

If you search by new releases or release date, it shouldn't give you anything in early access. Early access games also shouldn't show up in the new releases ticker on the homepage, only in top sellers if they're selling really well.

Edit: Hmm, apparently release date does still show them but new releases seems not to.

OwlFancier fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Sep 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zelder
Jan 4, 2012

It's extremely cool that in 2014 gaming has progressed to the level where we can purchase the skeleton of a video game and then really just pray with our hands held tight that the developer will eventually put meat on them bones and not run off in the middle of the night with our money.

• Locked thread