Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Great Joe posted:

nobody cares, please leave

Zelder posted:

Lol look at this post. Oh my.

RagnarokAngel posted:

Haha go cry about it nerd.

Stick Figure Mafia posted:

Look at this guy. Don't be like this guy.
Op made a good thread. Please stop buying games that aren't out yet.

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Shut up you loving baby. Go back to your Steam megathread.

:eyepop:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Jon Joe posted:

If you wanted the ultimate Kickstarter scam, you just need one good 3D modeler/animator, maybe a fancy pants UI designer too. These two team members would allow you to create a really cool and polished looking gameplay video (and screenshots) for a game that doesn't exist, without much programming needed at all, and you can fill out any buzzwords you want in the descriptions because nobody knows otherwise. It's just you, your small team, and piles of money being thrown at you for stretch goals that don't mean anything. You could also technically use the money to deliver the game at some point, just to prevent legal issues, but nobody said the game has to be competently made or anywhere near your funded budget.

That already happened: it was called Confederate Express.

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

BexGu posted:

and then immediately after they used the kickstarter of hotels to scam some more people

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice

BexGu posted:

I was so mad that I had found out about that Kickstarter the day after it ended so I couldn't give them my money. Now I'm glad I dodged that bullet.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Arnold of Soissons posted:

and then immediately after they used the kickstarter of hotels to scam some more people

Bro's so lovely and scammy that they caused the TOS for two services to change!

Gantolandon
Aug 19, 2012

Buying into early access (and Kickstarter) is a terrible idea because of several reasons:

• You're paying for the privilege of alpha-testing the game, giving the developer a reason to hire less professional testers. No professional can compete with unskilled amateurs who are willing to shell their own money to do the same job.
  • Professional testers work full-time and are generally more experienced in finding bugs than your average player. Outcompeting them means that games will be overall less polished.
  • Giving the developer your money earlier is not going to give you more influence on its final shape. They don't owe you anything. In fact, after you pay for their game, they can finally stop caring about you and concentrate on people that haven't given them their money yet. Giving up the only leverage you have is a bad idea.
  • With early access and especially Kickstarter, it becomes much more important to promote a game than to finish one. This means even more money spent on marketing and advertisement and less on actually making a product. There is enough hype in video game market as it is; it certainly doesn't need even more.
  • If you feel generous, there are plenty of charities that could use your money. There is no point in subsidizing a for-profit business instead.

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

MrBims posted:

I don't agree that looking at the track record of the developers is any help - compare Double Fine and inXile and you see all the same bullet points with regards to big names, record of published games, openness of development, but the results of their respective projects couldn't be any more different. There have been no shortage of goons who went up to bat for Double Fine, and no shortage of goons doubtful of inXile, and I don't think any gambler could have foreseen how things turned out.

How did it turn out? Haven't really been paying attention. Wasteland 2 is good, right?

DrManiac
Feb 29, 2012

Phlegmish posted:

How did it turn out? Haven't really been paying attention. Wasteland 2 is good, right?

Wasteland 2 owns bones imo. It scratches that fallout 2 itch perfectly and it only cost me $15 as opposed to the $40 it's retailing for now.

Re confederate express I would have totally donated to it but I didn't have The money at the time. I thought about it a few months ago and looked it up to see its progress only to see that insane story of the dev squatting in a dudes house.

DrManiac fucked around with this message at 21:08 on Sep 29, 2014

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

DrManiac posted:

Re confederate express I would have totally donated to it but I didn't have The money at the time. I thought about it a few months ago and looked it up to see its progress only to see that insane story of the dev squatting in a dudes house.

And that was such the weird thing: they where talented! They put in the time to make detailed and animated art, released a prototype of the new lighting engine for sprite artwork, and even signed up to SA to talk about the game. But nope! Scam time!

Radio Talmudist
Sep 29, 2008
It's a crap-shoot.

I think if you want to be daring and support a project that looks interesting, there is nothing wrong with that. Just be aware of the risks involved.

If you buy an early access game and conflate what is almost definitely an inchoate mass of programming and mistakes with your ideal of what the title should be, you are being stupid and have made a poor decision.

Just be cognizant of what you're getting into and you'll be fine.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

BexGu posted:

and even signed up to SA to talk about the game.

Haha, are you serious?

Arnold of Soissons
Mar 4, 2011

by XyloJW

Haha, are you serious?

you're kidding right? ofc goons love throwing dollars at the screen.

BexGu
Jan 9, 2004

This fucking day....

Haha, are you serious?

Yep! It was in the bowls of the Kickstarter Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=205905

And he doesn't even half rear end it either!

Captain Gordon
Jul 22, 2004

:10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux::10bux:
I think its a simple decision: If you can get your money's worth out of EA title based on existing features then go ahead and buy it, if not, then don't buy it and wait for the game to be finished.

Captain Gordon fucked around with this message at 01:22 on Sep 30, 2014

Prop Wash
Jun 12, 2010

Captain Gordon posted:

I think its a simple decision: If you can get your money's worth out of EA title based on existing features then go ahead and buy it, if not, then don't buy it and wait for the game to be finished.

The point of an ea game is that you specifically aren't buying based on existing features, but if your point was that therefore buying ea games is stupid and you shouldn't do it then you're spot on!

Doorknob Slobber
Sep 10, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

BexGu posted:

Yep! It was in the bowls of the Kickstarter Thread: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3473379&userid=205905

And he doesn't even half rear end it either!

Oh man I remember seeing his gifs and thinking they were awesome and almost contributing. Someone should take their concepts and make real game.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

Cheekio posted:

I just backed your game for $25, which was a dumb idea because I'm poor, but the art style is amazing.

Have you considered alternate game modes? I imagine if you just made the player/enemy movement speeds faster you'd be 9/10th of the way to an arcadey hotline miami clone. The base engine seems like it could do a lot of great stuff reusing the same code/artwork.

Edit: I know this has nothing to do with the game you're already invested in making, but again, the art style is amazing. More games should look like yours.

:lol:

Emphasis mine.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Prop Wash posted:

The point of an ea game is that you specifically aren't buying based on existing features, but if your point was that therefore buying ea games is stupid and you shouldn't do it then you're spot on!

Basically, the only game you should buy on Early Access is the one that already is basically done anyway, and the only game you should Kickstart is the one that's being made by a big company that only went to Kickstarter because if grognards are willing to give you free money and let you skip out on getting a publisher, well why not do it.

Although, Spacebase apparently broke that second rule. Any summary on what happened there? I basically only know that it's a game Double Fine made that was an EA/KS title but not much else.

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Arnold of Soissons posted:

you're kidding right? ofc goons love throwing dollars at the screen.

Your av is sick

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

DrProsek posted:

Although, Spacebase apparently broke that second rule. Any summary on what happened there? I basically only know that it's a game Double Fine made that was an EA/KS title but not much else.

They made a fair amount of money on it and decided that it would be more profitable to halt production of the game and release it unfinished, hoping modders will finish the game for them.

karl fungus
May 6, 2011

Baeume sind auch Freunde

They made a fair amount of money on it and decided that it would be more profitable to halt production of the game and release it unfinished, hoping modders will finish the game for them.

Starbound will end the same way.

burnishedfume
Mar 8, 2011

You really are a louse...

Ah, so basically, DF is ahead of the curve here and they're not just letting their consumers be alpha testers that pay them, now their consumers can be coders that pay them!

RBX
Jan 2, 2011

Invisible Inc, Xenonauts, and Crypt of the Necrodancer are drat fun games and I won't let you bullies make me feel bad for buying them! :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kernel Monsoon
Jul 18, 2006

karl fungus posted:

Starbound will end the same way.

Nah, Think it'll be fine.

• Locked thread