Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

(this is the opening cutscene)

OVERVIEW
.hack refers to one of two things, both of which were made and developed by CyberConnect2 which you probably know from Asura's Wrath or all of those Naruto hentais.

There's Project .hack which were made up of the ps2 games .hack//Infection, .hack//Mutation, .hack//Outbreak, and .hack//Quarantine. There was also an anime, .hack//Sign, and all I remember about it is that it was weird and probably bad. There are also a bunch of other manga novels and games that don't really matter and who cares.

Then there's .hack Conglomerate. For all I know this is still the current .hack project that CyberConnect2 is working on and is made up of .hack//G.U., the anime .hack//Roots and some fighting games and manga that never got translated for us.

The games that I am going to be playing for you guys are part of the .hack//G.U. series which are three games that were released over the course of about a year. They make up one continuous story and follow the super edgy Haseo who is trying to find a guy named Tri-Edge who killed his anime wife and put her in a coma. All of this happened in the anime .hack//Roots and I don't really care to watch it again to be able to explain what happened right now.

Why are you playing this?
anime

I'll be recording these videos with whoever is around

This should be obvious but try to keep spoilers about what happens in the game out of the thread. On the other hand, there's a lot of stuff that happens outside of the scope of these games that they expect you to know about in some form or another. Some of the facts given outside of the game are incredibly dumb and I don't think they're really spoilers so use your own judgement in what you post about here. If you know enough about this series you know what is and isn't a spoiler.

Videos

END OF GAME ONE
BANNERIMAGE EPISODE 20

Episode 32
Episode 33

PLOT?
No fancy banner images here and I'm not very sorry about it
Interim Report 1

I saw a balloon fly over my house today, it was nice.

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 01:42 on Jun 11, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I hosed UP

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 3, 2015

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I'm going to put random stuff here

Here's Xumtosis not knowing what VLC is before we recorded the first video:

here is kuvo's artistic representation of the previous recording

a hentai by fatbot

the best fanart

here's someone farting when i started recording

People Explaining the Plot:
Grimpond talks about what he can remember of the plot of the hentai ".hack//Infection"
SSNeoman talks about the history of "The World" and about the .hack games and the dumb thing about Haseo!

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Jan 3, 2015

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.
Required viewing for this thread: Enjoy!

Kobold eBooks fucked around with this message at 11:48 on Sep 26, 2014

rama!
Jun 30, 2014

is this a hentai

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Kobold eBooks
Mar 5, 2007

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AN OPEN PALM SLAM A CARTRIDGE IN THE SUPER FAMICOM. ITS E-ZEAO AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I START DOING THE MOVES ALONGSIDE THE MAIN CHARACTER, CORPORAL FALCOM.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?
I cant wait to make a hentai with you dryzen-sama

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
In answer to the thread title's question: no, no I do not.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I remember being so excited for these games. The trailer with Haseo in the Cathedral fighting what looked like a zombie Kite and then Skeith showing up at the end got everyone excited. However the .hack//Roots thing was a bit frustrating because it spoiled the hell out of G.U. but you couldn't avoid watching it either otherwise you miss out on a ton of context and characterization. The soundtrack is still the major highlight of these games.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
I remember seeing the ad for this in a magazine. Had the pink-haired girl's cameltoe in the center of the ad. That's when I realized all anime was hentai.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

No thank you, Thread Title. One of my problems with these games is that a lot of character arc endings are basically slashfics. Not to mention the third game which decided to go full retard with the anime tropes (I hate the plot in the third game, even if the gameplay was the best of the series).

Bricoleur posted:

I remember being so excited for these games. The trailer with Haseo in the Cathedral fighting what looked like a zombie Kite and then Skeith showing up at the end got everyone excited. However the .hack//Roots thing was a bit frustrating because it spoiled the hell out of G.U. but you couldn't avoid watching it either otherwise you miss out on a ton of context and characterization. The soundtrack is still the major highlight of these games.

I actually recommend skipping Roots because I thought it was boring as poo poo. Picking up the plot as you went along made things more interesting imo. And yeah, the soundtrack kicked rear end.

RSCNyx
Mar 6, 2013

It's okay, little guy. I would be scared too.
Hey, the game seems to have some interesting ideas!

To be fair, a lot of people talk weird in MMOs, from personal experience. "LFG BRS b attuned pls" doesn't make a lot of sense to many people.

Also, that lady's sword is pretty badass.

AtomikKrab
Jul 17, 2010

Keep on GOP rolling rolling rolling rolling.

I played these as a kid, I don't feel guilty though.

Also 100% run, you have no choice, do it.

Mr. Trampoline
May 16, 2010
Embrace the anime. Anime is love. Anime is life.

I played the first two games of GU when I was a teenager, but never got the 3rd. As far as I remember, these games were pretty fun! ... But you gotta go for 100%. :unsmigghh:

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I'm not even sure how it's supposed to be rewarding to PK new players. PKing is such serious business in The World, but I don't think they ever outline just what a player loses if they die.

Haseo's confusion over Atoli looking like Shino wouldn't have happened if The World had a hat system like TF2. I wonder if this game should have a counter for the number of times "PK" is spoken in a completely serious manner. And I forgot how utterly pretentious Ovan is. Really, really pretentious. Even for anime.

Haseo's abs always bothered me because they look like abs but they stick out for no reason and they have this weird purple tinge so is it just a chest plate meant to look like abs? I can almost forgive the stupid designs because they're meant to be designs chosen by angsty teenagers so of course the edgiest thing a kid can think of is a thousand belts and spikes and dragonkin attire. And I can't believe the prologue takes like 40 minutes. The whole game is pretty hilarious when you realize these teenagers are screaming and bellowing and crying in their own bedrooms and/or basements.

tokomon
Aug 23, 2007

:3: SCALE ITCH :3:

Funnily enough I had just start in on playing the .hack games again.
I enjoy the bemused self-hatred it tends to stir up.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I am going to start recording clips of the forum so that anyone who is interested can use the video in order to read them. A lot of these are related to the game but some of them aren't so I'm not going to go through the effort of transcribing or screenshotting every single one. I am going to add them to the second post as I make them and will probably be posting more with each update as appropriate.

There is a ton of text in this game so I'm going to try to make this as painless as possible while still letting anyone who is interested see all of it.

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 00:49 on Sep 27, 2014

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

There are a ton of loving emails to go through

The most fun is "logging" in and out of the main game to read that poo poo

rear end in a top hat can't even open a loving tab

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I wondered what kind of person would worry if they lost their emails if their computer crashed, but then I remember this is the fabled Altimit OS that everyone in the not-too-distant future uses. It's also supposed to be such a perfect OS that computer viruses are an unfathomable thing to computer users.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Oh man, you just reminded me that I have to finish the last volume of this game. I have to say, the GU series is a much better series than the original four, game-play wise at least. Any chance of showing more of the lore/background of the series?

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Bricoleur posted:

I wondered what kind of person would worry if they lost their emails if their computer crashed, but then I remember this is the fabled Altimit OS that everyone in the not-too-distant future uses. It's also supposed to be such a perfect OS that computer viruses are an unfathomable thing to computer users.

Thr irony being that pretty much every .hack story seems to revolve around Altimit having more bugs than an ant farm. :v:

Lord Windy
Mar 26, 2010
In the dark, distant future of 2016 computer viruses are unfathomable!

I don't get this PKer thing. So if you die to a pker you have to restart your character or is has it no consequences? If that is the case, why is everyone up in arms about Pking?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Worklurker posted:

Oh man, you just reminded me that I have to finish the last volume of this game. I have to say, the GU series is a much better series than the original four, game-play wise at least. Any chance of showing more of the lore/background of the series?

I'll try to do so to the best of my abilities but there is such a huge disconnect between the first series and this part that I don't know how much of what I know is correct anymore. There is a news section that I plan to start posting as well that should help with that somewhat but for the most part I'll leave it to trying to answer anything that people might ask. If anyone feels like they can explain the basic backstory of the world these games take place in feel free to.

PKing someone usually just means they get sent back to town and lose some exp and gold according to the forums in the game.

A lot of the smaller facts that they throw around as common knowledge actually get somewhat explained in these forum posts. My goal is that once I have most of the information in game in this thread a lot of these questions can be answered just by looking at the appropriate topics on the news/forums.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Lord Windy posted:

I don't get this PKer thing. So if you die to a pker you have to restart your character or is has it no consequences? If that is the case, why is everyone up in arms about Pking?

Because Pkers are dicks. They purposefully target new characters and kill them for shits and giggles. Some people even form gangs and guild around just suckering new players into a Field just to kill them.

nine-gear crow posted:

Thr irony being that pretty much every .hack story seems to revolve around Altimit having more bugs than an ant farm. :v:

Yeah but Pluto's Kiss apparently ensured that everyone runs Altimit anyway. Linux has apparently been taken out back and shot.

Dryzen posted:

I'll try to do so to the best of my abilities but there is such a huge disconnect between the first series and this part that I don't know how much of what I know is correct anymore. There is a news section that I plan to start posting as well that should help with that somewhat but for the most part I'll leave it to trying to answer anything that people might ask. If anyone feels like they can explain the basic backstory of the world these games take place in feel free to.

I used to know way too loving much about this series so I might be able to help you out. Though it has been like 5 years since I touched this series.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 01:55 on Sep 27, 2014

Koorisch
Mar 29, 2009
This game is the best worst anime, I will relish in the stupidity to come. :allears:

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:
I can never get away from the loving hentai.

It never loving ends.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The third game's story sucked so much. Generic shonen to end everything. What a waste, and a bad follow up to I/M/O/Q's fun mystery plot.

But yeah, the gameplay was fun. Roots was okay too if you could just stop watching halfway through.:smith:

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru

Bricoleur posted:

I was also very excited for the trailers of these games after playing the first series and watching/reading a majority of the adapted media (to this day as stupid and boring as I find it I hold a great deal of love for .hack//Sign and Liminality in my heart). Though rambling a bit about the first series I thought G.U. would be doing something weird specifically something like the events of the first games being seen through the perspective of the Eight Phases of Morganna fighting and failing to beat Kite somehow, no idea why I thought that would be a thing. That said I love .hack's rendition of the internet where every topic may as well have fate hanging in the balance somehow.

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Kuvo posted:

i made some fanart

Kurieg
Jul 19, 2012

RIP Lutri: 5/19/20-4/2/20
:blizz::gamefreak:

Shinjobi posted:

The third game's story sucked so much. Generic shonen to end everything. What a waste, and a bad follow up to I/M/O/Q's fun mystery plot.

But yeah, the gameplay was fun. Roots was okay too if you could just stop watching halfway through.:smith:

3's gameplay was great, the one plot twist was handled well, everything else was loving ridiculous.

Archonex
May 2, 2012

MY OPINION IS SEERS OF THE THRONE PROPAGANDA IGNORE MY GNOSIS-IMPAIRED RAMBLINGS
I played this. I remember thinking that the not-MMO concept was a neat idea for a game at the time. And it was a big step up over the original series which I got suckered into but turned out to have some pretty boring combat.

Story wise I gotta say that the first episode is the best. The main character is such an anti-social prick it swings back around to being hilarious at times. He really does not give half of a poo poo about all the ridiculous MMO anime drama that goes on around him. All he wants to do is murder the poo poo out of someone he hates. It makes for a refreshing change to your usual JRPG protagonist. :allears:

quote:

That said I love .hack's rendition of the internet where every topic may as well have fate hanging in the balance somehow.

If you think this is ridiculous then you've obviously never seen people debating politics online. :v:

Archonex fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Sep 27, 2014

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Call me stupid but I think Haseo is a really dull and depressive character; and not at all the kind of protagonist you want to cheer for as he goes about his adventure. He spends so much time being an rear end in the second half of the roots anime (and the subsequent lead into the games) that I kinda feel that he deserves to fail.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

I got a question, can we post spoilers if they're never brought up in the game and have no impact on the game's story? I want to talk about Haseo.

I tried to play the original quadrilogy a few months back and the combat was just too tedious to put up with. In addition your character moved very slow, which could be remedied only if you constantly cast speed spells on yourself (and your party members, so three separate casts every couple minutes) of which you can to purchase speed scrolls repeatedly. You could also have equipment that had the speed spell bound to it, so you had to keep that piece of equipment in your inventory (of which you only had 20 slots, someone correct me) and put it on every time you wanted to cast the spell, and take it off again when you were done because the equipment wasn't even good and you had no way to customize weapons. Spells were bound to certain weapons and gear and if you wanted to use a spell or skill you had to have the correct gear equipped if you didn't want to burn through spell scrolls for everything.

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

Bricoleur posted:

I got a question, can we post spoilers if they're never brought up in the game and have no impact on the game's story? I want to talk about Haseo.

I tried to play the original quadrilogy a few months back and the combat was just too tedious to put up with. In addition your character moved very slow, which could be remedied only if you constantly cast speed spells on yourself (and your party members, so three separate casts every couple minutes) of which you can to purchase speed scrolls repeatedly. You could also have equipment that had the speed spell bound to it, so you had to keep that piece of equipment in your inventory (of which you only had 20 slots, someone correct me) and put it on every time you wanted to cast the spell, and take it off again when you were done because the equipment wasn't even good and you had no way to customize weapons. Spells were bound to certain weapons and gear and if you wanted to use a spell or skill you had to have the correct gear equipped if you didn't want to burn through spell scrolls for everything.

I only played the first two and some of three, of the original series, but the combat in the games seemed to come down to buffing party members with scrolls before-hand and spamming the menu button to use skills and heal,especially with the first game's final boss. Also trading vendor items for high level equipment was hilarious.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Bricoleur posted:

If it isn't in the game feel free. I would go ahead and use spoiler tags just in case but if it is about who Haseo is or his characterization in Roots then don't bother because it's all dumb and silly.

e. actually if it's about anything in Roots or the previous .hack stuff go ahead and post about it because it is all stuff they expect you to have knowledge of and there's too much of it

Fatbot
Oct 17, 2012
I made a hentai I think

Unoriginal One
Aug 5, 2008

Bricoleur posted:

You could get the speed up spell on a pair of shoes that had stats good enough to last you straight through the fourth game, but even then having to stop to cast the thing several times per dungeon got annoying fast. Same with having to clear your allies to use skills and items at the start of every fight.

Thankfully, if memory serves, most of the really annoying and/or overpowered stuff was done away with for GU, though Level is still the Godstat.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

I loving loved these dumb games. Especially the first series, even the combat! I loved that poo poo and even now nostalgia cheat codes can power me through it.

So here's a big dumb post about the plot of the first series, as best I can remember it.

The whole story involves kids adults loving nerds playing the most popular mmo in the world, "The World". The game opens up with a character named kite with anime hair and a beret. He's playing the mmo with his irl bud named Orca. Orca is a pretty big deal in this game for reasons that get revealed later. Orca takes kite through a tutorial dungeon and while there they briefly run into another character of a young girl in a white dress who floats and is being chased by a giant skeleton with a big red wand. Orca seems to know whats up but kite doesn't. Later in the dungeon they meet up with the young girl and she gives Orca some sweet loot called the "Book of Twilight". At the end of the dungeon, the wand skeleton shows up, causes some game glitches, and does some weird bullshit that kills orca's character. Before that, Orca, or maybe the girl, I forget, give the book to kite for safe keeping. After orca dies the whole server crashes. Kite finds out during the downtime that his buddy orca has actually fallen into a coma at the same time as his character death at the hands of skellington. Kite vows to find out what happened.

Kite next meets a recruitable character named Blackrose, who for reasons I forget gets kite to go with her to a new dungeon, which is the same cathedral we see in the video. While they're there, a glitched monster attacks them and a new character shows up, the winged hentai Balmung. Balmung can't kill the glitch and that activates kite's plot power (the book) which gives him some sweet hacker skillz called data drain. Data Drain removes the glitch and turns it into a hacking item called a virus core. after the fight, balmung reveals that data drain is what caused Orca to fall into a coma!!! Balmung accuses kite of being the cause of all the game problems, but decides to leave or something instead, whatever.

After this there's some side quest stuff, and whatever grinding you like doing, there's email chains and poo poo, whatever, I forget. eventually the plot points you to the dungeon where the skellington is living and he turns out to be named Phase One: Skeith, the Terror of Death. After you win the battle, you data drain skeith, get some plot, and then a NEW SECRET BOSS shows up. Then big titty hentai shows up and, i think, rescues kite and whoever from getting hosed by the monster she calls cubia. There's some more plot stuff, and some bonus content for the end game, and whatever sidequest poo poo is there.

And that's just the first game!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:
Yes, But why IS Naruto so bad?

• Locked thread