Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Say what you will, things always seem to work out for them in the end

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

President! We have reports of people who play our game falling into comas for reasons unknown. System Administrators are unable to find out why and the dev team say it's not a feature they implemented. What do we do?

>Call our lawyers and issue a public statement, this is serious
>Call our lawyers and privately contact the parties involved, we need to keep this under wraps
>Launch a full investigation before we do anything else
>Nothing at all

>Make a Hentai 2.0

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Grimpond posted:

>Make a Hentai 2.0

Ok Mr President we have released the beta for The World 2.0 and it's just as popular as the first one, despite the fact we had people falling into comas while playing. If anyone brought it up publicly we simply told them "Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft The World!)" and attributed it to users not getting enough to eat or drink while playing. What do you think we should add into the final release?

>Over sexualised characters for teenagers to play and pretend that's what they really look like?
>Belts! Belts! Belts! Belts!
>Armour that induces insanity into the player who equips it.... somehow....
>ANGST. Both teenaged AND adult who never stopped being teenaged.
>The ability to induce comas in players

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
>All of the above. Threaten to fire the developers if they're too lazy to do it all before the original release date.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

Gridlocked posted:

Ok Mr President we have released the beta for The World 2.0 and it's just as popular as the first one, despite the fact we had people falling into comas while playing. If anyone brought it up publicly we simply told them "Remember to take all things in moderation (even World of Warcraft The World!)" and attributed it to users not getting enough to eat or drink while playing. What do you think we should add into the final release?

>Over sexualised characters for teenagers to play and pretend that's what they really look like?
>Belts! Belts! Belts! Belts!
>Armour that induces insanity into the player who equips it.... somehow....
>ANGST. Both teenaged AND adult who never stopped being teenaged.
>The ability to induce comas in players

>Instead of using our knowledge of what hosed up the first game, let's experiment with dangerous ai enhancements on 'random' test subjects chosen from the general population playing our game. Then we'll concoct a series of convoluted events that eventually lead to them working for us even though we pretty much caused the problem in the first place and these test subjects have no real reason to actually trust us.

Then we can finally work on solving the problem!

Maybe.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves

Grimpond posted:

>Instead of using our knowledge of what hosed up the first game, let's experiment with dangerous ai enhancements on 'random' test subjects chosen from the general population playing our game. Then we'll concoct a series of convoluted events that eventually lead to them working for us even though we pretty much caused the problem in the first place and these test subjects have no real reason to actually trust us.

Then we can finally work on solving the problem!

Maybe.

I would continue but SPOILERS really from this point on.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010
Gather around the fire kids, for I have watched the first 6 episodes of .hack//roots. So the things that I got out of it was:

Haseo is basically a tsundere. And I don't mean just around the waifu either. Is probably in love with Ovan, if we have a broad definition of love to work with.

Speaking of Waifu, Shino is basically acting in a romantic fashion fashion around Haseo. If by romance, I mean being coy and saying random things. That's love, right?

People take a MMO way too seriously.

Ovan isn't evil at all. Nope. Not at all.

So far, the Guild that Haseo belongs to, the Twilight Brigade, is searching for the Key of Twilight. They have found some virus cores, which are keys to restricted areas in the first set of games, but are just holding them in dramatic ways at this stage. Ovan is oh so mysterious at all times, and there's this other guild called TaN who are trying to screw around with the Twilight Brigade. In TaN, there is Naobi, who is a cat guy trying to out weirdo Ovan, a mammoth task. Tawalaya, who is a portly information broker type character who tries a little too hard at playing Anime Game of Thrones and Ender, who fits our quota for crazy stabby women.

The only normal characters are Sakisaka and Tabby. One is like an onion knight and the other is basically the designated cat girl for the series. They both take the game a little bit too seriously but not as crazy as the other members of the Twilight Brigade.

And of course Phyllo is the best character only because he calls out on Haseo being a big baby.

Edit: Spoilered to protect the innocent.

Dante Logos fucked around with this message at 05:22 on Oct 2, 2014

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Ovan is simultaneously the best and worst thing about GUverse.

Grimpond posted:

...sort of. We'll see in a bit.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Roots doesn't really need spoiler tags. Well, except for the Great Big Spoiler that's held off until the games are 2/3 done.

Roots tries to be serious and mysterious like SIGN was but it just falls flat. SIGN had a player whose consciousness was inside the game and couldn't log out. Roots has everyone freaking out over player Ovan helping out day one newbie Haseo. That's pretty much it. I'll talk more about the plot of Roots once a couple GU characters show up in the LP, otherwise it'll make even less sense than it already does. On top of spoiling the games Roots has a bunch of plot threads that never end up going anywhere in the show, and don't end up getting resolved in the games either. SIGN was much more clear-cut about being a prequel to IMOQ, and even though players in the show had only cameos in the game or vice-versa, the plot was much more contained within each one. Roots is just spread all over with a lot of things leading to dead ends. Also I think the music took a nose dive in Roots. SIGN had a very haunting Celtic-esque soundtrack composed by Yuki Kajiura with many sung by Emily Bindiger. Except for the opening song, Roots however had the soundtrack composed by Ali Project, and its music is more j-pop. Just like in SIGN they would frequently play songs throughout each episode, but in Roots they only ended up making it feel more generic and The World R2 much less special than what SIGN accomplished.

On top of that the animation budget was rather poor. SIGN tried to compensate for this by having characters stand around and talk while showing panoramas of The World around them. Roots has more action but it just doesn't look good. Fights have characters constantly freeze in place, and when they do manage to move they seem broken and disjointed.

Grimpond
Dec 24, 2013

SSNeoman posted:

Ovan is simultaneously the best and worst thing about GUverse.

...sort of. We'll see in a bit.

Yeah, It's been long enough that my memory of GU and IMOQ has gotten fairly fuzzy.

Gridlocked
Aug 2, 2014

MR. STUPID MORON
WITH AN UGLY FACE
AND A BIG BUTT
AND HIS BUTT SMELLS
AND HE LIKES TO KISS
HIS OWN BUTT
by Roger Hargreaves
Phyllo not appearing in G.U. due to his death is kinda sad.

He was the only guy in Roots I liked.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Dryzen, this thread is your fault.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

goatface posted:

Dryzen, this thread is your fault.

Please, this thread only exists to spite me

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Pins posted:

Oh come on Pinsy-Kun, don't be such a Party Killer.

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

EntranceJew posted:

Oh come on Pinsy-Kun, don't be such a Party Killer.

Hey man, dont be a Party Killer Killer.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Pins posted:

who?

updates this weekend I promise when have I ever let any of you down

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

Dryzen posted:

who?

updates this weekend I promise when have I ever let any of you down

You??

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

So one of the forum videos got a DMCA notice, one which that I had acknowledged third party content in before hand, and now my account has a strike on it and I'm at the will of a japanese company to look at and respond to the counter claim! What this means is I'm not in the mood at all to reupload any of the forum videos that were taken down but will continue to post regular updates without audio on another account which will hopefully prevent this from happening again. I had a new update ready to upload but now I can't without making a new Youtube account so I'll do that later and post it whenever

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 02:39 on Oct 7, 2014

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014
Sorry to hear about some japanese company getting mad about fictional message boards, can't let someone spoil their 8 year old game. Hilariously, the related videos section on the right side, my screen is showing ending videos for the third game.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Worklurker posted:

Sorry to hear about some japanese company getting mad about fictional message boards, can't let someone spoil their 8 year old game. Hilariously, the related videos section on the right side, my screen is showing ending videos for the third game.

it's all automated, they probably don't even know they made the claim.

Xumtosis
Apr 14, 2014

~A-a h-h-hentai? W-w-w-with me senpai?~ :nyoron:

AriadneThread posted:

it's all automated, they probably don't even know they made the claim.

Content IDs are automated, But a DMCA claim isn't. A human had to actually file a copyright strike on the video. That's how YouTube tries to prevent abuse. But, Since YouTube doesn't require any proof, Or even loving understand what Fair Use means apparently, It's basically broken and doesn't work since any company can issue a DMCA claim on any video they want and it will add a strike to the account until the account holder refutes the claim and the company that issued the claim decides to lift the claim from the video, Or the account holder seeks legal action against the company if they believe they are within their legal rights to post the video. Oh, And if you get three strikes, YouTube automatically deletes your entire account. So there's that.

So, Basically what I'm trying to say is, YouTube's DMCA system is almost as broken as their Content ID system.

Why in the gently caress do I know this much about this stupid loving poo poo.

Omobono
Feb 19, 2013

That's it! No more hiding in tomato crates! It's time to show that idiota Germany how a real nation fights!

For pasta~! CHARGE!

Xumtosis posted:

Content IDs are automated, But a DMCA claim isn't. A human had to actually file a copyright strike on the video. That's how YouTube tries to prevent abuse. But, Since YouTube doesn't require any proof, Or even loving understand what Fair Use means apparently, It's basically broken and doesn't work since any company can issue a DMCA claim on any video they want and it will add a strike to the account until the account holder refutes the claim and the company that issued the claim decides to lift the claim from the video, Or the account holder seeks legal action against the company if they believe they are within their legal rights to post the video. Oh, And if you get three strikes, YouTube automatically deletes your entire account. So there's that.

So, Basically what I'm trying to say is, YouTube's DMCA system is almost as broken as their Content ID system.

Why in the gently caress do I know this much about this stupid loving poo poo.

So a company can delete any youtube account they want simply by issuing 3 DMCA claims on 3 videos on the account at the same time? Because there's no way the account holder will be able to react in time before the 3rd claim goes through.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Omobono posted:

So a company can delete any youtube account they want simply by issuing 3 DMCA claims on 3 videos on the account at the same time? Because there's no way the account holder will be able to react in time before the 3rd claim goes through.

Yes that is a thing that can happen, or at least that's something that I have heard has happened and might just be people being mad about the internet.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Well that sucks. Is there any chance of posting screenshots of the forum threads, or would that be too many of them?

And now even Kuhn is explaining what guilds are to Haseo, when he knows Haseo was a member of the Twilight Brigade. He is kind of a dick choosing to go goof off instead of helping Haseo learn how to use his Avatar. I mean it's the only known way to fight AIDA which is so dangerous that it's putting players into comas, and Kuhn is just blowing it off.

Now that we've met Pi and Yata, here's some Roots backstory. Roots starts with Ovan, leads of the Twilight Brigade guild. He's looking for something called the Key of the Twilight in the game. Naobi, the leader of the seedy guild TaN, is super snoopy and wants the Key of the Twilight for himself. When Ovan helps out Haseo on his first day of playing the game, Naobi sics the sadistic PKer Ender to gather information on Haseo. After that more people seem to think Haseo must be special because a weirdo like Ovan spoke to him. I'm not even sure if there's a name for such a logical fallacy but everyone is convinced Haseo is a source of candy and treasure when it's just his first day playing the game. People keep interrogating Haseo, wanting to know his connection with Ovan and the Twilight Brigade. Meanwhile Haseo isn't having much fun playing the game because he's constantly getting interrupted and ambushed by players when he's trying to play. Ender keeps shaking down people, going to former members of the Twilight Brigade and demanding info on the Key of the Twilight, even though since the item has yet to be found they wouldn't know anything.

Haseo ends up joining the Twilight Brigade more out of reflex than anything else. He and the other Twilight Brigade members continue to get bullied when out of town and harassed when they're in town. It all leads up to a point where Naobi and Ender capture Ovan in order to illegally scan him. poo poo hits the fan, TaN gets caught by CC Corp and forced to dissolve, Ovan kinda leaves and the Twilight Brigade falls apart, and thanks to Naobi and Ender Shino gets PKed by Tri-Edge. After TaN falls apart I think Ender and Naobi get their characters banned, so they just hop over to other characters they have: Pi and Yata. I don't know if CC Corp was aware that Ender and Naobi were System Administrators and they just didn't care and never punished their employees, or if the never realized the real identities of Ender and Naobi in which case CC Corp's incompetence isn't that surprising either.

All of this however is quite irrelevant. Pi's former identity never becomes a plot thing, same thing with Yata, and Haseo never discovers their roles in getting Shino PKed or driving Ovan away. As Ender, Pi was quite a bitch to Haseo and I don't know if Haseo was written as just being a jerk of if he somehow senses that she's a bitch, but his attitude towards her is somewhat justified.

Some more trivia: Yata is 17 just like Haseo. Pi is 24. The Dot Hack series is actually interesting because it has a lot of people in their 20's and 30's playing videogames along with teenagers and 10-year-olds with improbable vocabulary skills.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

By the way, for those of you wondering what the Key of Twilight is, don't. It's a MacGuffin that never ever, ever, ever, ever makes an appearance or becomes relevant to the events that occur. It's just a thing people search for because the writers need an excuse for getting the heroes to group up. It's one of the lamest examples of a driving force I have ever seen in a medium.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I am going to repost all the videos but I currently have exams so that won't be until at least Friday.

Dante Logos
Dec 31, 2010

Bricoleur posted:

Well that sucks. Is there any chance of posting screenshots of the forum threads, or would that be too many of them?

And now even Kuhn is explaining what guilds are to Haseo, when he knows Haseo was a member of the Twilight Brigade. He is kind of a dick choosing to go goof off instead of helping Haseo learn how to use his Avatar. I mean it's the only known way to fight AIDA which is so dangerous that it's putting players into comas, and Kuhn is just blowing it off.

Now that we've met Pi and Yata, here's some Roots backstory. Roots starts with Ovan, leads of the Twilight Brigade guild. He's looking for something called the Key of the Twilight in the game. Naobi, the leader of the seedy guild TaN, is super snoopy and wants the Key of the Twilight for himself. When Ovan helps out Haseo on his first day of playing the game, Naobi sics the sadistic PKer Ender to gather information on Haseo. After that more people seem to think Haseo must be special because a weirdo like Ovan spoke to him. I'm not even sure if there's a name for such a logical fallacy but everyone is convinced Haseo is a source of candy and treasure when it's just his first day playing the game. People keep interrogating Haseo, wanting to know his connection with Ovan and the Twilight Brigade. Meanwhile Haseo isn't having much fun playing the game because he's constantly getting interrupted and ambushed by players when he's trying to play. Ender keeps shaking down people, going to former members of the Twilight Brigade and demanding info on the Key of the Twilight, even though since the item has yet to be found they wouldn't know anything.

Haseo ends up joining the Twilight Brigade more out of reflex than anything else. He and the other Twilight Brigade members continue to get bullied when out of town and harassed when they're in town. It all leads up to a point where Naobi and Ender capture Ovan in order to illegally scan him. poo poo hits the fan, TaN gets caught by CC Corp and forced to dissolve, Ovan kinda leaves and the Twilight Brigade falls apart, and thanks to Naobi and Ender Shino gets PKed by Tri-Edge. After TaN falls apart I think Ender and Naobi get their characters banned, so they just hop over to other characters they have: Pi and Yata. I don't know if CC Corp was aware that Ender and Naobi were System Administrators and they just didn't care and never punished their employees, or if the never realized the real identities of Ender and Naobi in which case CC Corp's incompetence isn't that surprising either.

All of this however is quite irrelevant. Pi's former identity never becomes a plot thing, same thing with Yata, and Haseo never discovers their roles in getting Shino PKed or driving Ovan away. As Ender, Pi was quite a bitch to Haseo and I don't know if Haseo was written as just being a jerk of if he somehow senses that she's a bitch, but his attitude towards her is somewhat justified.

Some more trivia: Yata is 17 just like Haseo. Pi is 24. The Dot Hack series is actually interesting because it has a lot of people in their 20's and 30's playing videogames along with teenagers and 10-year-olds with improbable vocabulary skills.

Speaking of, I found out that the reason why PKing is taken so seriously. It's because there is no autosave feature. You can play the game for the whole day, get ganked and lose your progress for the day. You save like you would in a JRPG, or so I've found. Why this is something that hasn't been improved upon in the new World is just silly at this stage.

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru

Dante Logos posted:

Speaking of, I found out that the reason why PKing is taken so seriously. It's because there is no autosave feature. You can play the game for the whole day, get ganked and lose your progress for the day. You save like you would in a JRPG, or so I've found. Why this is something that hasn't been improved upon in the new World is just silly at this stage.

Without going into too much potential spoiler territory largely covered by external material and videos to come I do wonder why bandaid solutions to PKing presented as a minor problem were even attempted by CC Corp rather than just leaving things be in R2 or do what they did in R1 and just disable the feature completely (the reasoning of which I forget other than an excuse as to why Sora gets to be a bouncy assassin and Kite can't).

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Yes, if I remember CC Corp established an Arena for players to officially fight in as some half-assed attempt to reduce PKing. Even if they couldn't outright disable PKing outside of towns, they have enough power to create safe areas or servers. For that matter, I'm not even sure how PKing works because in the beginning those two people PKed Haseo when he was in their party. A player can't leave a party or change a party unless they go back to town.

And yes The World is terribly archaic. No autosaving. No way to set up a shop or auction house without a player being right there stuck on shopkeeping duty. No way to privately message a player unless they've specifically given you their email address.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

By the way, for those of you wondering what the Key of Twilight is, don't. It's a MacGuffin that never ever, ever, ever, ever makes an appearance or becomes relevant to the events that occur. It's just a thing people search for because the writers need an excuse for getting the heroes to group up. It's one of the lamest examples of a driving force I have ever seen in a medium.

The Key of the Twilight was from SIGN, a supposed legendary item that allows whoever has it to rewrite the rules of the game. The cast of SIGN searched for it to try and help Tsukasa log out. Ovan forms the Twilight Brigade to look for it in Roots because GU plot spoilers.
The Key is an actual thing, in a way, but yeah, what it is doesn't really matter in GU.

gently caress me for remembering this poo poo, but I recall that the whole thing in Roots if Yata and Pi's alter egos and TaN was something they knowingly did as CC corp employees to gather information and track rumors (Which is more effective then just trolling various internet forums because…???) The guild was loving huge and got dissolved when someone (I think?) exposed that some of it's members were doing real money trading and CC Corp and it's all really try-hard anime grittiness that's hard to take seriously because it's a set in a video game.

Bricoleur posted:

And yes The World is terribly archaic. No autosaving. No way to set up a shop or auction house without a player being right there stuck on shopkeeping duty. No way to privately message a player unless they've specifically given you their email address.

I think there's a forum thread that pops up either in this game or the next that talks about how The World has drastically fallen in popularity now that it's not the only MMO on the market in our lovely one-OS alternate timeline future.

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru

AriadneThread posted:

I think there's a forum thread that pops up either in this game or the next that talks about how The World has drastically fallen in popularity now that it's not the only MMO on the market in our lovely one-OS alternate timeline future.

The existence of games besides The World is a nearly irrelevant cliffnote outside of Sakisaka ditching Tabby to play "Riot Gun" halfway through Roots. Though I found it interesting again jumping ahead of what we've been shown but given weirdery displayed in media prior to GU I do wonder how games like these are effected in times of crisis, likely just server crashes rather than anything exciting but I thought the possibility of expanding genres and setting in .hack was something that could have been further explored.

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

"This idea could have had some potential" is pretty much this game series in a nutshell

Gemcrim
May 26, 2014

Straight outta Sumaru
Yeah, I miss being able to think that some dude that looked like he came out of braveheart talking about apotheosis while a piano played in the background is super deep.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

gently caress me for remembering this poo poo, but I recall that the whole thing in Roots if Yata and Pi's alter egos and TaN was something they knowingly did as CC corp employees to gather information and track rumors (Which is more effective then just trolling various internet forums because…???) The guild was loving huge and got dissolved when someone (I think?) exposed that some of it's members were doing real money trading and CC Corp and it's all really try-hard anime grittiness that's hard to take seriously because it's a set in a video game.
Yeah partially my bad, it's hard to remember what parts were due to CC Corp being a terrible company for being completely unethical, and being a terrible company for being complete idiots. It's done both, and will continue to do both. Even right now in the LP, Yata admits CC Corp wants everything about AIDA to be kept under wraps. So CC Corp isn't even bothering to alert the millions of people playing when the company knows at least one player has fallen into a coma due to AIDA shenanigans.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Bricoleur posted:

After TaN falls apart I think Ender and Naobi get their characters banned, so they just hop over to other characters they have: Pi and Yata. I don't know if CC Corp was aware that Ender and Naobi were System Administrators and they just didn't care and never punished their employees, or if the never realized the real identities of Ender and Naobi in which case CC Corp's incompetence isn't that surprising either.

Wait, what? :psyduck:

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Haha if you think that's confusing just you wait

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

ninjewtsu posted:

Yes, Pi and Yata are the primary antagonists of ROOTS. Haseo never finds this out and the game does not address this.
The game pretty much forgets about this and proceeds to open massive plot holes because neither Yata nor Pi know facts they really, really loving should.

Seraphic Neoman fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Oct 8, 2014

Worklurker
Jan 2, 2014

ninjewtsu posted:

Since this isn't referenced in the game(s) anywhere, apparently Yata is in another form in the original four games.
He is Wiseman

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Dryzen how come you didn't download any hamburgers?

Thread, what file format would hamburgers be?

• Locked thread