Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer

A person playing an MMO posted:

I don't wanna run errands for a stupid NPC!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Gaspard creeps me out because his original Japanese voice has him be very young which is supposed to go with his kind nature and naivete. Here his voice is completely inhuman. He doesn't sound like a 13 year old boy he sounds like a cartoon character. It's jarring compared to everyone else who manages to sound like people, albeit anime people. Gaspard is like if someone sounding like Bart Simpson started talking and expecting you to think he's a real boy.

At least Haseo's Scooty-Puff can be upgraded to be faster, better controlling, etc.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
When's Kuvo gonna guest?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Bricoleur posted:

At least Haseo's Scooty-Puff can be upgraded to be faster, better controlling, etc.

Sure, in the next game

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bricoleur posted:

In the next game :haw:

...What was Alchemy about? I don't remember ever using it.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

SSNeoman posted:

you mash weapons together for +'s

i will probably never do it

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

SSNeoman posted:

You can add status effects and stats, as well as "more money/exp/skill points" and "half MP cost" kinda stuff to weapons, armor and accessories. Not really that useful for main story stuff. Helpful for completionists/some harder dungeons.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Dryzen posted:

you mash weapons together for +'s

i will probably never do it

...Riiiiiiight, right. I remember now! I did it for the first game and then I never did it again because I got those secret weapons that carried me through everything. Okay, gotcha!

Sloober
Apr 1, 2011
I have and completed all these games and I seriously do not even remember alchemy being in them so it's probably safe to say you can get by fine without it.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

Alchemy is stupid bullshit that you never actually need

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012
The steam bike is basically a fancy handicap. At least once you reach the 2nd disc you can actually go fast, and then there's the bike parts that actually make it useful. As for Alchemy, it's kind of useful for pumping up the prices of extra equipment that you want to sell on your shop since you only get a handful of slots. Then there's also the kind you get in disc 3 but that's a long ways off.

Oh yeah, there's one thing about the bike they never tell you in the game. If you hold the gas and brake at the same time for a couple seconds while stopped, releasing the brake will make you wheelie and rocket off at top speed.

StarPilot87 fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Nov 10, 2014

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Use the steam bike for running over small enemies to get some free damage, that's all it's good for.
If you try to hit a larger dude, you'll bounce off and hurt yourself

StarPilot87
Dec 31, 2012

AriadneThread posted:

Use the steam bike for running over small enemies to get some free damage, that's all it's good for.
If you try to hit a larger dude, you'll bounce off and hurt yourself

This of course assumes they don't see you and initiate combat before you smash into them.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Okay so here's what I want to know. If being guild leader is so big and impressive and important and Haseo is so proud of it, why were Class Notes and Obnoxious so eager to pawn the job off on some chump they literally just met? I think Haseo's been had.

Black Balloon
Dec 28, 2008

The literal grumpiest

Dr. Buttass posted:

Okay so here's what I want to know. If being guild leader is so big and impressive and important and Haseo is so proud of it, why were Class Notes and Obnoxious so eager to pawn the job off on some chump they literally just met? I think Haseo's been had.

Because in actual MMOs in a larger guild, the GM is big and impressive and important. And being one is also a huge pain in the rear end.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Silabus is actually the smuggest rear end in a top hat in the game because everything he does is too deliberate to just be because he's stupid.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Oh yeah forgot the bike doesn't get upgraded until later. Whoops. But I think even the vanilla version is faster than walking. It's almost pointless to use it though because those mini-warp gates are so common in town and the fields.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

The Triad Frog is pleased with this custom title purchase.

Dr. Buttass posted:

Have you ever played an mmo? I wouldn't wish guild leadership on someone I hated. It's one part leadership, nine parts day care with a dash of cat herding.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Blame it on the misfortune of your bark!
Fun Shoe
so i guess i just spent my lunch break watching haseo run around a field while constipated then do a fetch quest for the most insufferable NPCs ever to be created *mellow*

i hope youre happy

Mico
Jan 29, 2011

A billion dollars.
you're welcome kuvo

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Kuvo posted:

so i guess i just spent my lunch break watching haseo run around a field while constipated then do a fetch quest for the most insufferable NPCs ever to be created *mellow*

i hope youre happy

i'm happy, YOU'RE AN ANIME *oink*

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

toddy.
Jun 15, 2010

~she is my wife~
I deserved it.

Pins
Jul 16, 2010

Haven't You Heard?

toddy. posted:

I deserved it.

TODDY R U OK. RU OKAY. ARE U O KAY TODDY?

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

You guys earned this one also these videos are still uploading as of posting this but I got places to be

Dryzen fucked around with this message at 06:55 on Nov 27, 2014

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

I love how finding an arena team is an issue for him.

/2 "I'm the Terror of Death, now taking applications/bribes for carry partners."

Problem solved.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

So now we finally met Endrance. And as we saw he's an Epitaph user. Endrance used to be Elk in 1.0. He fell in love with a purple bunny girl named Mia who later turned out to be Macha, the 6th Phase of Morganna. See that squirrel thing on his shoulder? Its head looks kinda like Mia's. If this sounds pathetic to you, then you're right and the game agrees.
Anyway, naturally his Avatar is Macha and he seems to be infected by AIDA. When he's talking about finding "her" he's talking about finding Mia again (so apparently the bonus dungeon in //QUARANTINE is canon, since once you complete it, Mia gets resurrected). Naturally this is not possible since Macha was forced into Avatar form by CC corp so her character is dead and gone.

Endrance/Elk is a total goon in real life. His life is a goddamn mess and his only happiness is hanging out in a video game world with a character who turned out to be an AI. One who has the title "The Seductress", no less. When The World is shut down, he falls into a deep depression, his life losing all meaning which is why he gets his Avatar in R2. We'll see how that works out for him shortly.

Having said all that, Endrance is the reason GU's quality takes a nosedive. I imagine you have noticed that he's :sparkles: :gay: incarnate? Well fangirls ate that poo poo up. CC2 (The real life devs) heard the siren song of more money and basically loaded up as much shipping fuel as they could into their game. At the expense of actual, interesting development.

ZenVulgarity
Oct 9, 2012

I made the hat by transforming my zen

SSNeoman posted:

So now we finally met Endrance. And as we saw he's an Epitaph user. Endrance used to be Elk in 1.0. He fell in love with a purple bunny girl named Mia who later turned out to be Macha, the 6th Phase of Morganna. See that squirrel thing on his shoulder? Its head looks kinda like Mia's. If this sounds pathetic to you, then you're right and the game agrees.
Anyway, naturally his Avatar is Macha and he seems to be infected by AIDA. When he's talking about finding "her" he's talking about finding Mia again (so apparently the bonus dungeon in //QUARANTINE is canon, since once you complete it, Mia gets resurrected). Naturally this is not possible since Macha was forced into Avatar form by CC corp so her character is dead and gone.

Endrance/Elk is a total goon in real life. His life is a goddamn mess and his only happiness is hanging out in a video game world with a character who turned out to be an AI. One who has the title "The Seductress", no less. When The World is shut down, he falls into a deep depression, his life losing all meaning which is why he gets his Avatar in R2. We'll see how that works out for him shortly.

Having said all that, Endrance is the reason GU's quality takes a nosedive. I imagine you have noticed that he's :sparkles: :gay: incarnate? Well fangirls ate that poo poo up. CC2 (The real life devs) heard the siren song of more money and basically loaded up as much shipping fuel as they could into their game. At the expense of actual, interesting development.

Antares owns though

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Please don't say mean things about EntranceJew's anime persona

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Dryzen posted:

Please [...] EntranceJew [...]

I agree with this guy right here.

Bricoleur
Feb 1, 2012

Endrance sounds almost obscene it's like Liam O'Brien is constantly aroused because he always moans out his lines. As SSNeoman mentioned, they try to make Endrance all bishie for the ladies but the truth is that he's a loser shut-in whose biggest human interaction is his mother leaving his meals outside his bedroom door. Every waking moment is dedicated to playing this MMORPG because he can't let go of his AI waifu that was destroyed three years ago. Endrance projects hard, calling other people pitiful and without accomplishments while he's done jack poo poo himself outside of a videogame.

At least this confirms that Gaspard is not an Epitaph User so we don't have to depend on him for that crap. Every time there's a scene showing Ovan walking away, he's disappeared so fast I can only imagine him doing a Speedy Gonzales whenever Haseo isn't looking in order to keep up an air of mystery. Haseo lacks a kitty on his shoulder, that's what Endrance has that he doesn't. It's funny when Haseo says he hates people who look down on others, because that was what he did for the entire second half of the Roots anime. Since Roots fails to be alluded to half the time, I don't know if Haseo was supposed to be hypocritical here or if the writers just didn't correspond with Haseo's Roots personality.

I liked it when Haseo finally snapped at Atoli after she prattled on for 15 freaking minutes about how people should fawn over the game's graphics as if they were real. Haseo botched the attempt to recruit her, but drat was she insufferable.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Bricoleur posted:

I liked it when Haseo finally snapped at Atoli after she prattled on for 15 freaking minutes about how people should fawn over the game's graphics as if they were real. Haseo botched the attempt to recruit her, but drat was she insufferable.

The sad part is that she's actually right. If you ever tried to go full retard with MMO endgames, it's just a boring grindy treadmill with everyone being a dick to each other. And then even if you do get all the best everything, you basically have nothing else to do until the next patch makes you start over again. Developers have mentioned that people get so focused on items they don't even see or care about the world unless it increases THER NUMBURS!!11

Of course, Atoli shoots herself in the foot by basically stating that she doesn't like how competitive people are in actual competitive events. When you're doing a time attack quest, you don't stop to smell the loving roses. I think what the developers were going for is the argument between casual and hardcore MMO players, but their representation of what a casual player looks like is frankly insulting. There is not a single video game player who would not kill a rare monster, especially for uncommon rewards. I honestly forgot she was this bad. Her loving voice does her no favors either.

Bricoleur posted:

Endrance sounds almost obscene it's like Liam O'Brien is constantly aroused because he always moans out his lines. As SSNeoman mentioned, they try to make Endrance all bishie for the ladies but the truth is that he's a loser shut-in whose biggest human interaction is his mother leaving his meals outside his bedroom door. Every waking moment is dedicated to playing this MMORPG because he can't let go of his AI waifu that was destroyed three years ago. Endrance projects hard, calling other people pitiful and without accomplishments while he's done jack poo poo himself outside of a videogame.

The best part is that he is co-dependent as gently caress. As Elk, he tried to bribe Kite into giving him the bracelet just so that Mia would stop paying attention to Kite.

Haseo and Shino have this to a degree, which is another reason why he snaps at Atoli.

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING

SSNeoman posted:

There is not a single video game player who would not kill a rare monster, especially for uncommon rewards.

I'm honestly willing to entertain the notion that this woman is some degree of mentally ill, and has difficulty distinguishing between fantasy and reality, and therefore in her mind a collection of computer data that looks like a bird is the same thing as an actual bird.

quote:

Haseo and Shino have this to a degree, which is another reason why he snaps at Atoli.

Speaking of mental illness, if a certain person's face is a trigger for you, playing an MMO where you're likely to see it literally loving everywhere is a really bad idea. Might as well be a vampire working on a garlic farm.

pointlessone
Aug 6, 2001

Dr. Buttass posted:

I'm honestly willing to entertain the notion that this woman is some degree of mentally ill

This describes nearly everyone in the series.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

I should go ahead and say I have finals now so there won't be an update this week or next probably sorry get your hentai kicks elsewhere for a bit. Maybe I'll post some terminal disc crap who knows

EntranceJew
Nov 5, 2009

Dryzen posted:

I should go ahead and say I have finals now so there won't be an update this week or next probably sorry get your hentai kicks elsewhere for a bit. Maybe I'll post some terminal disc crap who knows

don't worry dryzeb I got you covered

dryzb: we gotta find da ohlm shell
ejewz: same
motorcycle: *does a sweet wheelie*

my buddy Superfly
Feb 28, 2011

I haven't been keeping up with the lp but have you guys made the hentai yet?

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure this game must be someone's fetish.

Kuvo
Oct 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
watched ep 6 during my lunch break and im more confused now then having not watched it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

finals are going better than I anticipated so there will be an update this week yay

• Locked thread