Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

The developers Ice Pick Lodge are remaking their first cult classic game Pathologic. The remake is up on kickstarter right now but it has less than ten days before everything comes to an end.

The good news is that the game will be funded, but it is looking like just barely. The stellar Let's Play of The Void by our own CannibalK9 (SA archives, LP Archive) really showcases one of Ice Pick Lodge's better efforts but The Void still remains a daunting game to actually play. This is very much like their preceding effort, the original Pathologic.

Pathologic wasn't without fault, to borrow from the kickstarter page, a description of the fledgling effort:

quote:

"Thankfully we were smart enough to change our plans and made the game in 3D—although it did take time and resources. We had to learn the basics of game development from the ground up: study Direct3D, export assets from 3D editors, lightmap the environment, write our own scripting system and AI, program environment streaming, the editor, the UI, and so on… We did all that for the first time ever, and we did it blindly. (I would love to thank our engine programmer Alexey here, but he doesn’t like publicity.)

Rookies can’t do everything right, of course. Everyone makes mistakes—that’s how the process of learning goes. The physics of the playable character, for example, worked as though he was a blind person, tapping on everything around him with a stick, looking for a patch of solid ground to put his foot on. But it did work! During the development we were in permanent awe. Here are the player’s hands, oh my god, they’re working, they’re moving, they're even capable of holding a knife! Yes, the models are crude, their animations twitchy, but they’re alive! They are walking, talking, breathing! They’re making their way through the clumsy routines! We could watch the water reflections or the fire particles for hours."

The the amazing thing is, despite this small studio's amateur beginnings, a game was made. A game about plague, place and piecing together a mystery. And it was a game that really spoke to the people brave enough to wade through its translation which looks like something close to a google translate result. The best news is the remake of the game is focusing a considerable amount of funding into making sure this go around doesn't see as many technical or language issues.

A teaser video with some in engine bits:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gh5CB2lnZ7c

I've taken the liberty of copying some of the kickstarter page.

Pathologic KS page posted:

A mysterious and deadly disease breaks out in a remote town built upon old tanneries and butcheries. Whilst the disease can be identified by physical symptoms, its roots and origins remain mysterious. The disease is highly infectious and deadly. It affects the neural and the blood-circulating systems, crippling both body and mind.

To fight the epidemic the local authorities first send a learned doctor, then an inquisitor ordered to assess the situation, then a military commander. The first has to investigate the disease and find an optimal solution; the second has to save as many lives as possible while executing said solution; the third has the right to exterminate the whole Town should the others run out of options.

It’s a place where the main factory is ruled by a five-year-old girl, where districts are named after body parts, where bulls can only be slaughtered by the initiated, and where ideas and projects banned from the Capital somehow thrive.

It’s also the main character of the game.

If there’s one thing games are good at, it’s creating a sense of place, immersive and real. Imagine a remote town—so small it doesn’t even seem to have a name, a town where obscure traditions intertwine with progressive ideas and industrialization. You are an outsider here, and yet the town is yours. You’ll be the one to secure its fate, you’ll be the one it’ll open up to, sharing its secrets and mysteries. Its inhabitants will confide in you, its history will come back to life before your eyes, and its architecture will tell you stories.

Check it out, it's only got ten days left! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1535515364/pathologic

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Sep 27, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
This game is the best, everyone fund this game.

Dominic White
Nov 1, 2005

Yeah, this one needs to be funded in full, up to and including all the stretch goals.

The original Pathologic had two problems. Firstly, Ice-Pick Lodge were a new and inexperienced studio, and their engine wasn't too hot. The game was fun (in a depressing, high stress kinda way) but clearly low-budget.

More damningly, the script (which won awards in Russia for being fantastic) got mangled horribly in the original English version. Only one of the three campaigns was even halfway comprehensible, making two thirds of the game effectively unplayable without a walkthrough.

Ice-Pick have since overcome both of these barriers. They're quite technically capable now and I believe they're fully able to realize the town and the steppe in the detail they deserve. More importantly, they've taken to doing their localization work in-house, and are really good at it. The Void's translation was top notch, and even the dubbing worked great in just about every language.

I'd be throwing piles of money at this game if I could, but I don't have any money, so I can't. So, crazy rich goons, I implore you: Throw some cash at this. It could well be something truly special.

NmareBfly
Jul 16, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I threw money at this as soon as the KS went up. I never played the original because of all the complaints about tech problems and a bad translation, but I have played and enjoyed (maybe 'appreciated,' in Knock-Knock's case) every other Ice-Pick lodge game since then so I feel pretty drat good about evangelizing this one sight-unseen.

The only problem is the admittedly realistic projected completion date of two years from now. Gonna be a long wait. To that point I wonder if when the KS is done this thread should convert to general Ice-Pick discussion? I don't know how many people are raring to go buy and play through The Void but it does end up on Steam Sale a lot and is still sort of incredible (if janky.)

Also, if you read the Kickstarter comments be sure to pay special attention to the crazy person named Manuel, whom at this point is either a troll or just insane.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

NmareBfly posted:

...To that point I wonder if when the KS is done this thread should convert to general Ice-Pick discussion? I don't know how many people are raring to go buy and play through The Void but it does end up on Steam Sale a lot from time to time and is still sort of incredible (if janky.)
I agree to both points with a small edit. Also I found a youtube teaser and put it in the OP.

Cephalocidal
Dec 23, 2005

I feel kind of like a dick for this but I can't in good conscience support KS projects that offer exclusive in game stuff to backers. I get that it's a million times easier than physical rewards but it just feels wrong. I'll buy it full price when it's done, but I can't support this model. Same with Darkest Dungeon/
Pop-up Dungeon/ etc.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
most of it will probably be accessible on youtube anyways

Aeble
Oct 21, 2010

Did the LP end up with a comprehensible explanation of some of the phenomena of the town? I didn't read it all the way through, but it felt very interesting (and very odd).

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

I'm just a total piece of shit and I'm not sure why I keep posting on this site. Christ, I have spent years with idiots giving me bad advice about online dating and haven't noticed that the thread I'm in selects for people that can't talk to people worth a damn.
i dont know if the LP did, i didn't finish reading it because i decided to play the game instead. there's an explanation for everything, and then if i recall correctly, like two levels of meta-explanation beyond that? (at least one, and i think it was kind of pretentious but its been a long time since i played it now)

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

In the genre of 'profoundly flawed but amazing games about discovering the mystery of a weird town' Pathologic is pretty much second only to Deadly Premonition. If I were a rich man I would have been first in line for the executor mask :(

bango skank
Jan 15, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I've never played the original game, and I don't want to start a derail or anything, I just thought that this chart from kickstarter page was a good example of the problem with non-linear games:

I understand its a limitation designing games, but it's super disappointing when they seem like they've got this amazing depth to the story only to have all your choices funnel you into one of three or so identical endings.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

uh, what? what other ending is there from "i need food"? you get food, you don't get food. the other things are just variations of avoiding the conflict which is exactly the opposite of thing you're complaining about

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Yeah that chart isn't describing the story of the game, it's describing general gameplay.

When you need to get food, there aren't very many outcomes besides "I got food," "I didn't get food," "I got some food," and "I got shot and died." This is a system entirely divorced form the plot of the game, so what's another possible outcome state that you would recommend? I'd love to hear it personally.

I mean when you do a random-rear end dungeon in Skyrim that's just sitting around int he middle of nowhere or whatever (I've never played Skyrim), do you get upset that there isn't any outcomes besides "I got the treasure at the end" and "I died to a monster and now I have to restart in town?"

The thing about Pathologic is that, unlike most other games, there isn't a whole lot to the gameplay outside of decision making, and that's what they're emphasizing with the Kickstarter. When you shoot a dude with a gun, it's not the actual shooting that's important, that's easy and it's over in an instant (having a loaded gun is basically a free "I win" card in fights). The actual gameplay is the "do I shoot this dude with my gun, or save it and most assuredly get injured, so I can pawn the gun off later for food?" question, and the challenge comes from accurately deducing the better decision to make, not in actually carrying out the decision.

Full Disclosure: I've only played day 1 of Pathologic, and could entirely be talking out of my rear end. But this seems to be what Ice-Pick Lodge is emphasizing and describing in their Kickstarter, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

ninjewtsu fucked around with this message at 07:56 on Sep 27, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Getting a different ending isn't the point.

TerminalBlue
Aug 13, 2005

I LIVE
I DIE
I LIVE AGAIN

WITNESS ME!!
Oh wow, I'm glad I caught this thread.

Pathologic is really one of the best candidates for a remake that I can think of in the land of viddya games. I wanted so hard to love the original(dark, depressing, and pretentious is my bag), but I felt like I was doing myself a disservice by playing it in the generally hosed up form it was delivered to the English speaking world in. I sorta figured it'd never happen, but I guess I could be wrong!

Here's to hoping they don't spend it all on vent hoods hookers and blow!

TerminalBlue fucked around with this message at 08:09 on Sep 27, 2014

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

ninjewtsu posted:

Yeah that chart isn't describing the story of the game, it's describing general gameplay.

When you need to get food, there aren't very many outcomes besides "I got food," "I didn't get food," "I got some food," and "I got shot and died." This is a system entirely divorced form the plot of the game, so what's another possible outcome state that you would recommend? I'd love to hear it personally.

I mean when you do a random-rear end dungeon in Skyrim that's just sitting around int he middle of nowhere or whatever (I've never played Skyrim), do you get upset that there isn't any outcomes besides "I got the treasure at the end" and "I died to a monster and now I have to restart in town?"

The thing about Pathologic is that, unlike most other games, there isn't a whole lot to the gameplay outside of decision making, and that's what they're emphasizing with the Kickstarter. When you shoot a dude with a gun, it's not the actual shooting that's important, that's easy and it's over in an instant (having a loaded gun is basically a free "I win" card in fights). The actual gameplay is the "do I shoot this dude with my gun, or save it and most assuredly get injured, so I can pawn the gun off later for food?" question, and the challenge comes from accurately deducing the better decision to make, not in actually carrying out the decision.

Full Disclosure: I've only played day 1 of Pathologic, and could entirely be talking out of my rear end. But this seems to be what Ice-Pick Lodge is emphasizing and describing in their Kickstarter, someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

it became pretty easy after a couple days to fight things and not get murdered or exhausting all of your resources, but i think most people used the walkthrough that came with the game. if you were toughing it out you were probably very short on all resources, about to die, and about to fail on day 3 or whatever

thats honestly going to be the biggest challenge - giving people a reason to gently caress up an early day, either by letting them recover for the good endings or making it fun to lose. i dont think pathologic was good enough that you could get to day 6 or whatever and feel good about restarting, because loving up invariably meant "she said go here but it was wrong because its translated badly"

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

As of right now its at $250,190 pledged of $250,000 goal. And the next stretch goal is $300,000. :unsmith:

$300,000 Stretch Goal posted:

The Town Extended ($300,000). This stretch goal seems pretty self-explanatory, and yet it’s the toughest one to explain. We’ve launched this whole campaign to make an extended version of the game after all, didn’t we? Thing is, it’s always possible to add more. More unique objects, more dialogue options, more questlines, more events happening around you. And it won’t be filler content either. Say, there are plot-dependent areas planned in the warehouse district; but what if you could also find caches and hideouts there? What if street NPCs had additional reactions to your activities? What if there were simply more questlines? You would become even more hard-pressed for time, sure, but we’ll balance it. The Town is a finished place, but we can always improve it intensively, adding more small locations, hidden corners, nooks and crannies. Also: more quests, more NPCs—more content in general.

At the mean average of funding so far we might reach $375,000 but Lucid Dreaming is just $25,000 more and omg does it sound great.

$400,000 Stretch Goal posted:

Lucid Dreaming ($400,000). Thoughts and ideas are an important part of Pathologic, and it’s known that the Plague “speaks to its victims, scrutinizing them”. We would like that to become an even more prevalent motif, adding dreams in form of interactive experiences. Got infected? Go see the Plague in person. Found out new crucial information that completely changes everything? Same here. All those hints and omens dropped and mentioned everywhere will now appear in the flesh. Also more weird and creepy imagery. And these are not random events—they will depend on how you play and how the plot you create unfolds.
Tell your friends, someone spam reddit! This game needs more money! I want it all.

Raskolnikov fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 27, 2014

Grinspork
Jun 20, 2004

DEHUMANIZE YOURSELF AND FACE TO BLOODSHED
I threw $300 dollars at this because I love Ice Pick and who doesn't want a Russian board game based on this?

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Grinspork posted:

I threw $300 dollars at this because I love Ice Pick and who doesn't want a Russian board game based on this?
You're awesome. drat I regret giving Star Citizen money now.

(Of course I should have always regretted that but we're not all perfect.)

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Cephalocidal posted:

I feel kind of like a dick for this but I can't in good conscience support KS projects that offer exclusive in game stuff to backers. I get that it's a million times easier than physical rewards but it just feels wrong. I'll buy it full price when it's done, but I can't support this model. Same with Darkest Dungeon/
Pop-up Dungeon/ etc.

thats a real losers attitude and i think youre stupid (and a loser lol) for following it

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe
Oh, so they finally halted work on the Pathologic updated translation to do a new version of the game. I was waiting to hear something, anything about their efforts to fix the terrible translation since they announced it.

ninjewtsu
Oct 9, 2012

Wasn't that a fan run thing

Goatse James Bond
Mar 28, 2010

If you see me posting please remind me that I have Charlie Work in the reports forum to do instead

Cephalocidal posted:

Pop-up Dungeon/ etc.

Fortunately, there are more important things about this, like the 300k and 400k stretch goals above.

Party Plane Jones
Jul 1, 2007

by Reene
Fun Shoe

ninjewtsu posted:

Wasn't that a fan run thing

It was both from what I remember, the devs had a translation going that has no news for ages (they announced it after The Void came out) and the fans had one that died.

Leinadi
Sep 14, 2009
Would love if this could hit the first stretch goal, though I kinda doubt that. But most of all, I'm incredibly happy that they got funded. These guys are just one of those studios that produce games that are... intriguing. I only played the original game once, and got fed up with the translation, but I *loved* the oh-so-harsh nature of it. Think they hit the nail on the head when they said that game don't need to aim to be *fun*. Just like with other mediums, you can draw in people in other ways. I don't watch a lot of films because I find so much jolly good fun. Same thing with games.

metricchip
Jul 16, 2014

Really happy to see this one funded. I've wanted to play the original for some time but it was so rough around the edges that I couldn't get into it. It's one of those things where I liked the idea of the game a lot more than the game itself.

GoldenNugget
Mar 27, 2008
:dukedog:
Glad it's funded but I'm upset they didn't get their stretch goals up early enough. Also the game exclusive stuff for people who paid 55 bucks and up is bothering me too. Regardless it should be a fun experience.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Okay well I have a huge problem with backing Kickstarter games for a hundred reasons, but Ice Pick has earned their stripes multiple times over so I guess I'll have to plunk down some cash for this.

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010
Cargo was really lovely though.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Cryohazard posted:

So was Valve's Ricochet, doesn't make them a bad studio.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Cryohazard posted:

Nah, it was fun + weird. I don't regret buying it at all.

Fish Noise
Jul 25, 2012

IT'S ME, BURROWS!

IT WAS ME ALL ALONG, BURROWS!
Making an unsuspecting friend stream Cargo blind is a great thing.

I may have been the unsuspecting friend.

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Watching star citizen post record numbers makes me sad when a ice pick lodge game cannot get 300k in 30 days. :smith:

0 rows returned
Apr 9, 2007

It's understandable since at the end Ice Pick Lodge will release a game.

MrBims
Sep 25, 2007

by Ralp
I recently started the GOG version of Pathologic - is there anything I should know about that would hamper my progress, like mistranslations or buggy quests?

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

MrBims posted:

I recently started the GOG version of Pathologic - is there anything I should know about that would hamper my progress, like mistranslations or buggy quests?
You should expect all of those. Keep a walkthrough on hand. Also, walk through the ghostly clouds for extra karma points.

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

dont start with the devotress and probably just follow that faq to the letter

there was also a thing you could do, a console command? that would speed everything in the game up to whatever you want. i think i played most of the game at like 4x because theres a lot of walking

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?t=5302

Verviticus fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Oct 1, 2014

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

MrBims posted:

Honestly I'd wait for the remake or read an LP.

Selenephos
Jul 9, 2010

Verviticus posted:

dont start with the devotress and probably just follow that faq to the letter

there was also a thing you could do, a console command? that would speed everything in the game up to whatever you want. i think i played most of the game at like 4x because theres a lot of walking

http://forum.ice-pick.com/viewtopic.php?t=5302

You can't start as the Devotress anyway on your first playthrough, you had to beat the game as one of the other two characters first. But yes, follow the FAQ to the letter because I can recall one instance where you've to meet someone but the directions given to you are completely wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Verviticus
Mar 13, 2006

you can also just turn timescale to 10 or w/e and have hours to do the quests if you want to avoid the faq

• Locked thread