Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

keep yr head up, problem girl
Ouch. Tough choice for the first pull. Take Bonds of Loyalty and Learning.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Rather goes to show that, for all its complexity, it can actually be pretty smooth once you know how to play it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

The revealed units are not village units, so I've run Tovak's turn as written. Also, the map is correct, gold rerolled to gold.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 3 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 5 hand, 2 deck.
Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 6 hand, 2 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 6 hand, 5 deck.
Unit Offer | Fame/Reputation Track | City Listing

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Oh okay i was wondering if that peasant was for sale or not, is it okay if i just end up getting the herbalists then?

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Oh okay i was wondering if that peasant was for sale or not, is it okay if i just end up getting the herbalists then?

Oh, no, sorry, I mean - when Norowas selected Bonds of Loyalty, the offer got 2 extra units put into it. I was pausing in case it rolled up extra village units you might want, but they were mage tower and keep-specific units, so I just went and got you the peasants. You're cool.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

A better world is just $69.69 away.

Soiled Meat
tovak i believ in u

Use a gold from the source to play Tranquility, getting rid of both wounds.

Play Improvisation (discarding Stamina) to move NW.

tovik pls

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I believe in me too, if everything goes right my next turn i will have a keep of my very own as well!

I think

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Norowas' Turn

Arythea has drawn her last card!

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 6 hand, 3 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 6 hand, 0 deck.

Bouquet
Jul 14, 2001

I don't know if Bonds of Loyalty is the best skill in the game, but I think it is the most fun/thematic! Followed closely by Goldyx' flight.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

The only downside to Bonds being that you can't disband the guy you get it with (which admittedly can be lovely if you used it on peasants or herbalists or something)really isn't enough of a downside to NOT take it if it comes up.

Stelas are you rigging this game? I call elf favoritism

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Stelas are you rigging this game? I call elf favoritism

If I were rigging the game it'd be Arythea favoritism for sure. Every time I play, I seem to get enough luck that I end up with a truly terrifying ranged/siege spell build.

Zombie #246
Apr 26, 2003

Murr rgghhh ahhrghhh fffff

Bouquet posted:

I don't know if Bonds of Loyalty is the best skill in the game, but I think it is the most fun/thematic! Followed closely by Goldyx' flight.

I pretty much take gold dick's flight over anything else I get with him, it helps out a ton.

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.

Zombie #246 posted:

I pretty much take gold dick's flight over anything else I get with him, it helps out a ton.

Same with polarity for Arythea. That kind of flexibility is invaluable.

Does Tovak have a key ability? I don't play him much.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

He doesn't have anything that you "build" around necessarily but he does have some pretty good abilities all around.

Who needs magic?! and I don't give a drat! are both good

The one i can think of over anything else is Double Time, which gives you a free +2(+1 at night)movement every turn, which is helpful for me in many,many situations :v:

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas

Play Swiftness for Move 2. Explore the tile east of my position.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Talk about all the dull tiles coming out early.

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 3 deck.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

This place has more mountains than loving Mordor

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I'm going to be out for the day - strangely enough, playing this! Updates will resume tonight GMT.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Bubble-T posted:

Same with polarity for Arythea. That kind of flexibility is invaluable.

Does Tovak have a key ability? I don't play him much.

Our group's never really managed to figure out what Tovak's focus is supposed to be.

Bonds of Loyalty is definitely Norowas' strongest, and if the right unit comes out (Illusionists, usually) among the strongest in the game. Being able to take those Illusionists everywhere and guarantee locking down any non-magic-immune enemy is HUGE - especially when you can support them with things like herbalists and your buffed healing card to ready the Illusionists several times.

This thread makes me think we need a Mage Knight discussion thread. It does come up a LOT in the board games thread and tends to go on for a page or two at a time...

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas, cont'd

Play second copy of Swiftness for Move 2, explore north.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
just go dive back into the portal instead

Get out of here, N.O.R.O.W.A.S.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

I am so shattered. Oy. (Fun game though.)

thespaceinvader posted:

This thread makes me think we need a Mage Knight discussion thread. It does come up a LOT in the board games thread and tends to go on for a page or two at a time...

I'm liking the commentary from assorted players as we go, it helps keep things moving.

Norowas' Turn

Ooh, it's the pinata tile. Look at that nice, shiny monastery, and so close to an easily entered dungeon. (Offer is updated.)

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 4 hand, 3 deck.

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Cool.

Take blue mana die, play Stamina (powered) for Move 2. Move to the plains adjacent to the monastery. End turn.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Stelas posted:

I'm liking the commentary from assorted players as we go, it helps keep things moving.

It's a good thing! I'm usually the guy that has to comment on just about everything that happens in a regular game. Even though i'm not sitting next to these other players y'all are still gonna get the same treatment :v:

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
My turn isn't reliant on any new information so I'm going to just post it because I'm busy the rest of today:

I play Improvisation with Rage in order to get on the town next to me, then play Promise powered by my golden token to hire the Herbalists. Then I play tranquility unpowered in order to heal my remaining in-hand wound.

So far, so good. You guys can feel free to use that magical glade now if you want. I'm all done with it.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Tovak's Turn

Norowas (Gutter Owl) - 5 hand, 1 deck.
Goldyx (Impermanent) - 2 hand, 0 deck.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Impermanent posted:

So far, so good. You guys can feel free to use that magical glade now if you want. I'm all done with it.

Nobody wants it now, it's got Dragon stank in it.

Anyway first i Concentration and take a red mana then i take a blue from the source to power up Stamina for 4 Move which puts me on the Keep, nothing for range attacks or blocking so my Peasents take one of the wounds I play my red Mana on Rage for 4 attack Which gets me the Keep!

I believe i have 2 wounds in hand then?

Edit: v Even better! I end my turn

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 01:52 on Sep 29, 2014

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

I believe i have 2 wounds in hand then?

1 Wound - you're taking a total of 4, but the peasants soaked 3, leaving you with 1 to soak yourself.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

Tovak takes a Wound to hand and a Wound on his Peasants.
Tovak levels! Tovak, select an Advanced Action and a Skill.
Tovak flips Shield Mastery (Each turn, +3 Block or +2 Ice Block or +2 Fire Block) and Night Sharpshooting (Each turn, +2 Ranged Attack if night, or +1 Ranged Attack if day).

Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 7 hand, 0 deck.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 02:40 on Sep 29, 2014

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Oh man if i only had one or the other to pick from this would be easy!

I guess i will Become a Master of Shield who frequently Blood Rages

The Shame Boy fucked around with this message at 02:19 on Sep 29, 2014

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
Time to punch a hole in the ground.

Play 2 marches to move NE onto the Monster Den. Give whoever's there a fightin'

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Arythea's Turn

Arythea finds a Medusa.

Tovak (HOOLY BOOLY) - 7 hand, 0 deck.
Arythea (Istvun) - 4 hand, 0 deck.

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat
oh no! Snakes!

Use my dark fire magic burn death kill for a red crystal and token. Use a blue mana from the source to play an empowered Determination with the Golems for 7 block

Then use my red mana token to play Battle Versatility for 4 attack

And celebrate my glorious victory with All of this Training! Get rid of Crystallize for Steady Tempo

I am the level champing

e: I'm pretty sure the policy of 'anything is better than crystallize' is going to serve me well.

Whoops someone took my blue.

Use TRAINING to get rid of Crystallize for Steady Tempo. Then use flip my mana skill for a crystal and token. Use a red mana on the Golems along with Determination to block the medusa.

Then use a red mana from the source to use Battle Versatility to kill the medusa. Still a levelologist and I keep the crystal.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:07 on Sep 29, 2014

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
I think that Arythea with Training might be one of the scarier starts I've seen.

Impermanent fucked around with this message at 03:18 on Sep 29, 2014

Bubble-T
Dec 26, 2004

You know, I've got a funny feeling I've seen this all before.
Medusa seems like a pretty good draw there, anything else would have required wounds or playing cards sideways right?

Istvun
Apr 20, 2007

Soiled Meat

Bubble-T posted:

Medusa seems like a pretty good draw there, anything else would have required wounds or playing cards sideways right?

A few of the others just would have required breaking my crystal, but yeah. Medusa was the one I was most hoping for.

I had a plan to at least not get wrecked by anything, but I forgot the blue die was missing from the source. That would have made the werewolf awkward, to say the least.

Istvun fucked around with this message at 03:32 on Sep 29, 2014

gutterdaughter
Oct 21, 2010

Norowas

Play Rage and Mana Draw sideways for Move 2. Move into Monastery.

Interact. Play Threaten* for Influence 2*. Recruit Illusionists to Bonds of Loyalty at -5 cost.

Activate Illusionists for Influence 4. Play Learning for Influence 2 (6 total). Pay 6 influence to Learning's effect, take Diplomacy from Advanced Action offer and add it to my discard pile.

End Turn. Unless!

*If Arythea rerolls her mana die to Red or Gold, instead take the red/gold die and play Threaten (powered) instead of unpowered. Use the extra influence to buy 1 healing at the Monastery and heal the Foresters. Take -1 reputation.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

I wonder if sombody is going to pull of a Threaten Promise combo, it's always great to see that happen in my games :allears:

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.

Impermanent posted:

I play Improvisation with Rage in order to get on the town next to me, then play Promise powered by my golden token to hire the Herbalists. Then I play tranquility unpowered in order to heal my remaining in-hand wound.

Did you go from 4 wounds in your deck to 1 in a couple of turns? I'm always afraid of taking wounds unless I can remove them on the same turn, which sometimes ends up biting me in the rear end.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Fat Samurai posted:

Did you go from 4 wounds in your deck to 1 in a couple of turns? I'm always afraid of taking wounds unless I can remove them on the same turn, which sometimes ends up biting me in the rear end.

The first bit of advice I read on the game was that if you're not taking any wounds, you're just not using the healing glades or the Regeneration card correctly; one of the roughest times I had learning the strategy of the game was figuring out when to take wounds and when not to. (This goes doubly true for me since I usually play Arythea, because I sure love generating my own black mana and Polarity is just bonkers.)

Impermanent posted:

I think that Arythea with Training might be one of the scarier starts I've seen.

The absolute scariest I've managed to pull off was getting the Amulet of Darkness and Crushing Bolt first day - I'm a big fan of hitting dungeons or monasteries immediately, usually by saving both Swiftnesses and a Mana Draw - and Call to Arms/Glory during the night. The Amulet of Darkness lets you treat the game as night for a turn; five free units? No need for Influence whatsoever? Sure!

Then I picked up every ranged unit and went to town.

Turns will be updated when I'm back from work.

Stelas fucked around with this message at 09:29 on Sep 29, 2014

• Locked thread