Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiderHyphenMan
Apr 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
"Soon monarchy will reign once again in the Earth Kingdom!" *immediately shows current Prince being an unbelievable rear end in a top hat*
I really hope they don't go in the direction of having the prince getting redeemed so monarchy is totally okay again you guys. Also we'd better get some real information on just what the hell happened in Ba Sing Se.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

Spergatory posted:

Huh. Sooooo... they apparently just learned to live with/around the spirits. That's kinda neat. Korra was actually serious when she said people were just gonna have to get used them.
They probably realized the monetary potential in making a tourist attraction of the place where the spirits took over

Also I'm glad there is a 3 year time skip since its more realistic for these changes and developments to occur after a few years rather than a couple of months.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

I think this all but confirms the idea that this season will be about the rise of a fascist state in the Earth Kingdom led by Kuvira. We have the earth prince who seems like the prototypical early 19th century out-of-touch nobleman.

I bet what's going to happen is that when all the world leaders are the to instate the new earth king, Kuvira leads a fascist takeover using metalbender security forces.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

I'm glad they're all redesigned to be visibly older.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011
We've not seen Bolin yet though. And I'm wondering why he left Pabu with Ikki?

JohnnyCanuck
May 28, 2004

Strong And/Or Free

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

"Soon monarchy will reign once again in the Earth Kingdom!" *immediately shows current Prince being an unbelievable rear end in a top hat*
I really hope they don't go in the direction of having the prince getting redeemed so monarchy is totally okay again you guys. Also we'd better get some real information on just what the hell happened in Ba Sing Se.

What's wrong with monarchy?

:canada: :britain: :australia:

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

X_Toad posted:

We've not seen Bolin yet though. And I'm wondering why he left Pabu with Ikki?

Yes we have, he's very clearly seen. His designed hasn't changed much. Plus shots of Lavabending.

Philosopher King
Oct 25, 2006
So what killed this franchise, season 2 or M. Night?

Kithkar
Apr 23, 2011

I'm gonna RENOVATE your ass!

Philosopher King posted:

I would argue that it's that it doesn't do what nick wants it to, which is sell merch (for some reason).

That being said, it's not like this being the final season hasn't been stated since before book 2 was a thing.

X_Toad
Apr 2, 2011

ImpAtom posted:

Yes we have, he's very clearly seen. His designed hasn't changed much. Plus shots of Lavabending.
I meant in that last preview, not in the trailer.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
The animation looked really, really wonky in that clip. The episode was done by Studio MIR, right?

Philosopher King posted:

I think the show never really found its groove. The characters were never great, and it made it more or less irrelevant whether they grew or not - which they haven't, really.

They tried to make the show without tying it too much to ATLA, and yet they created f'ing Bolin.

One reason for the lack of romance plots - finally - is that there simply aren't any interesting character dynamics going on.

Season 2 was really bad and the low point of the show, but it doesn't make sense to blame it specifically.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

ufarn posted:

The animation looked really, really wonky in that clip. The episode was done by Studio MIR, right?

I think the show never really found its groove. The characters were never great, and it made it more or less irrelevant whether they grew or not - which they haven't, really.

They tried to make the show without tying it too much to ATLA, and yet they created f'ing Bolin.

One reason for the lack of romance plots - finally - is that there simply aren't any interesting character dynamics going on.

Season 2 was really bad and the low point of the show, but it doesn't make sense to blame it specifically.

Too bad something's lowest point allowing the greatest change doesn't apply to television ratings. At least it did apply to this show's quality.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

I wonder if Mako is now part of Raiko's Secret Service.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
They turned the spirit wilds into a tourist trap? Let's bang the gong in honor of another wasted opportunity. (Sure this issue will get a episode or two, but it just looks like another plot point being swept under the rug. I'm also annoyed by how RC supports the EK government in exile, especially considering how the last monarch was aggressively revanchist. The world of Avatar is too small for a straight up Taiwan expy. (Which is probably where they're sugar coating the epilogue to.

Tezzor
Jul 29, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
Season 2 was better than 1 all around except for some janky animation in the middle. The disappointing showing of season 1 is what damaged the show beyond repair.

NutritiousSnack
Jul 12, 2011

Wan died for our sins, rip

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Jesus, I just got the thread title. :doh:

For shame.

Shaaaaaaaaaaaame.

Thundercracker
Jun 25, 2004

Proudly serving the Ruinous Powers since as a veteran of the long war.
College Slice

Tezzor posted:

Season 2 was better than 1 all around except for some janky animation in the middle. The disappointing showing of season 1 is what damaged the show beyond repair.

Eventually I'm gonna buy the box set for friends who were huge fans of ATLA but haven't watched Korra beyond Season 1. I'm pretty much going to tell them to skip season 2, watch 3 and hopefully 4, and then go back to 2 as a chaser.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

That seems like the worst idea.

Carlosologist
Oct 13, 2013

Revelry in the Dark

I like how the homeless man from season 1 (forget his name) is in the ad for the spirit section of Republic City. Also interested to see how the Airbender kids are going to act now that they're a little older.

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
I'm glad Meelo is still an ugly kid.

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet
Calling Kuvira fascist is a bit too easy; at her world's stage of sociopolitical development she makes more sense as a Bonapartist.

romanowski
Nov 10, 2012

Irish Joe posted:

Jesus, I just got the thread title. :doh:

For shame.

Shaaaaaaaaaaaame.

please explain

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

romanowski posted:

please explain

It's a pun off of Rebuild of Evangelion's subtitles I.E. 1.11: You Can (Not) Advance.

egg tats
Apr 3, 2010

Thundercracker posted:

Eventually I'm gonna buy the box set for friends who were huge fans of ATLA but haven't watched Korra beyond Season 1. I'm pretty much going to tell them to skip season 2, watch 3 and hopefully 4, and then go back to 2 as a chaser.

I only just watched season 2 and 3 last week, and this is probably a bad idea, if only because the two episodes about the Won and Rava are really cool.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

romanowski posted:

please explain

anime joke

Metropolis
Apr 6, 2006

Tezzor posted:

Eh, season 1 was bad but I think season 2 was their real last chance. Being moved to Friday nights at the same time as airing the crappiest season with a slashed animation budget and a plodding first 6 episodes left them pretty screwed, with little viewer enthusiasm for more. SO when they came out swinging with a pretty solid season 3 it didn't matter.

The biggest fuckup still has to be the movie though. It helped the show overall by virtue of being a movie pretty much, but that's all it did. I mean they could have made a trilogy or even four major blockbusters or at least decently popular movies, but the first one was so bad it basically canceled the whole idea. The TV series could have been in a much better position if there were 3 solid movies released rather than one poo poo one. So I'd say it didn't really damage the show so much as it was a huge opportunity wasted.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I'm not really sure a successful movie would have led to more good animated series. Traditional animation is very expensive and shows that aren't sitcoms have a limited demographic. This is why most animated shows are sitcoms and not really well animated, they need as many viewers as possible and can't afford better animators. There's just no market for shows like Avatar. With anime the good shows are basically made out of charity and goodwill and are funded by pandering poo poo aimed at shutins. Such is capitalism I guess, vote for more public arts funding if you don't like it.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 04:09 on Sep 30, 2014

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

JohnnyCanuck posted:

REPUBLIC REPUBLIC!

But truth be told I just want a referendum for the sausage sizzle.

Any excuse for a sausage sizzle.

Calling it now, the Earth Prince puts together a constitutional monarchy and enforces free and democratic elections with the Dai Li.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Kithkar posted:

I would argue that it's that it doesn't do what nick wants it to, which is sell merch (for some reason).

That being said, it's not like this being the final season hasn't been stated since before book 2 was a thing.

the merch thing baffles me because it never really seemed like they tried to push any merch out of this IP.

where are the action figures? Where is the trading card game? why is there just now a vidyergame? Shoulda been ready to roll all this plastic junk out in 2011, when ratings would naturally be highest.

kids will buy these things if you make and distribute them competently

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Sep 30, 2014

Combed Thunderclap
Jan 4, 2011

Rougey posted:

Calling it now, the Earth Prince puts together a constitutional monarchy and enforces free and democratic elections with the Dai Li.

Inside Nick headquarters...

"Ugh those guys really, really want more Korra."

"Fine. We'll put a stop to this series once and for all."

COMING SOON TO NICK.COM

THE ELECTION MONITOR

"You might be able to bend metal, Kuvira, but you won't bend these election results!"

"I don't know, Korra, looks to me like you're hanging onto sanity...by a chad."

...I'd still watch it. :allears:

Rougey
Oct 24, 2013

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Inside Nick headquarters...

"Ugh those guys really, really want more Korra."

"Fine. We'll put a stop to this series once and for all."

Accidentally make Avatar : The West Wing

Walking and Bending, or Bending and Talking?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

JohnnyCanuck posted:

Constitutional monarchies are actually fine even today, but this is probably a pure monarchy.

Rosalind
Apr 30, 2013

When we hit our lowest point, we are open to the greatest change.

Sithsaber posted:

Calling Kuvira fascist is a bit too easy; at her world's stage of sociopolitical development she makes more sense as a Bonapartist.

What the heck does this even mean? If we're comparing Kuvira to anyone I would probably guess they're modeling her after Asian fascists/nationalists like Sun Yat-Sen, Chang Kai-Shek, Dai Li, Wang Jingwei, Hideki Tojo, and more generally the Japanese Imperial Rule Assistance Association.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

ufarn posted:

Constitutional monarchies are actually fine even today, but this is probably a pure monarchy.

I think Wu would jump at the chance for a constitutional monarchy. No pasky actual ruling, so there's more time to be a jackass celebrity.

Blind Melon
Jan 3, 2006
I like fire, you can have some too.
Am I the only person who liked Bolin and the whole mover star subplot? The wink he gave the other lava bender was gold.

Why isn't this show on Adult Swim, it seems so out of place with all the other Nick programming.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

romanowski posted:

please explain
The Evangalion rebuild movies have these titles:
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance
Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo

They are meant to be thematic and pretentious (because its eva) and the Tenzengalion pun-thing from a few pages before plays off this.

Edit: :spergin:

DrSunshine
Mar 23, 2009

Did I just say that out loud~~?!!!
Legend of Korra Book 4.44: You Are (Not) Balanced.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving

Zedd posted:

The Evangalion rebuild movies have these titles:
Evangelion 1.11: You Are (Not) Alone
Evangelion 2.22: You Can (Not) Advance
Evangelion 3.33: You Can (Not) Redo

They are meant to be thematic and pretentious (because its eva) and the Tenzengalion pun-thing from a few pages before plays off this.

Edit: :spergin:

I've never seen any EVA thing. Am I (not) a bad anime fan?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sithsaber
Apr 8, 2014

by Ion Helmet

Rosalind posted:

What the heck does this even mean? If we're comparing Kuvira to anyone I would probably guess they're modeling her after Asian fascists/nationalists like Sun Yat-Sen, Chang Kai-Shek, Dai Li, Wang Jingwei, Hideki Tojo, and more generally the Japanese Imperial Rule Assistance Association.

That just seems too easy and too inaccurate. For example, Amon may seem like a commie, but honestly he has more in common with the taiping rebellion. The EK may seem to be a blatant China expy, but it could also be a condensed version of the history of France.

Sithsaber fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 30, 2014

• Locked thread