Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

There's not too much to address in an OP for show that needs no introduction. If you haven't watched the show since the classic era, I can't imagine why you would start watching again now. I'd argue that some of the show's later seasons were good, but we're well past the show's second renaissance, if you think it ever happened. Maybe you just want to keep going after marathoning all those episodes on FXX? Fine by me. Lately the show's been usually enjoyable but forgettable at the same time. Occasionally, a good episode stands out.

If you haven't seen any episodes last season, the best is probably the LEGO episode "Brick Like Me", which is still on Hulu for America at least. It's the only episode last season I could easily recommend. I enjoyed others, but opinions are really YMMV. Watch it before they pull it.

What's up ahead in Season 26? We'll finally get the character death that they've been teasing us with for a while. It's a character death that has nothing to do with the show having Mrs. Krabappel tastefully die after Marcia Wallace's passing. That little epilogue is probably the full extent they'll acknowledge what happened to Edna. Yep, Ned's burried two wives now. Yes, Ned Flanders and Mrs. Krabappel were married. Al Jean has said this new character death will be of someone whose voice actor has won an Emmy for his or her performance.

Following the season premiere on September 28th, Family Guy will have its Simpsons crossover. (A crossover actually endorsed my Matt Groening, unlike "A Star is Burns".) Here's a preview. I'll watch it because it's The Simpsons, but it's still Family Guy. Ugh.

They'll also have the Futurama crossover later on November 9th, which is the is one I'm actually looking forward to.

They'll also probably get around the airing that episode based on Judd Apatow's script that he wrote for the show in the early 90s. It could be interesting.

But before all that, we have the show's season premiere.

"Clown in the Dumps"
SABF20 - September 28, 2014 - 8/7c

A Springfield resident dies. Also, Krusty the Clown retires after being offended by a cable channel's comedy roast of him, and Lisa tries to protect Homer from getting hurt. David Hyde Pierce, Sarah Silverman, and Jeff Ross guest star.

And stay tuned after that for the Family Guy episode with The Simpsons. Or not.

More Stuff:
Conan O'Brien sings the Monorail song
"The Simpsons" Writers Reunion - Serious Jibber-Jabber with Conan O'Brien; I mentioned this in the last thread, but it's still pretty good and worth watching for Simpsons fans
Official Facebook page; it sometimes has web-exclusive clips
The Simpsons Quote Thread
Season 25 thread

R.I.P.

Echo Chamber fucked around with this message at 02:00 on Mar 10, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Can't say I have high hopes for the premiere. I don't think I've liked a Krusty episode since season "The Last Temptation of Krust" in season 9.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
So odds are like 90% it's Krusty's father that dies, right? I don't think it would be Krusty, and the only other possibility would really be Sideshow Bob and...oh no....guest star David Hyde Pierce...oh no.. :ohdear:

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

OldSenileGuy posted:

So odds are like 90% it's Krusty's father that dies, right? I don't think it would be Krusty, and the only other possibility would really be Sideshow Bob and...oh no....guest star David Hyde Pierce...oh no.. :ohdear:

Apparently the death leads into the B-plot about Lisa fearing for Homer's health, so the Krusty plot may well be a red herring. DHP is supposedly playing a different character, and I don't think he ever won an Emmy for playing Cecil.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
Despite being 100 degrees, Simpsons at the Bowl was magical.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001

J-Spot posted:

Apparently the death leads into the B-plot about Lisa fearing for Homer's health, so the Krusty plot may well be a red herring. DHP is supposedly playing a different character, and I don't think he ever won an Emmy for playing Cecil.

I wasn't implying that Cecil would die, I was implying that DHP's involvement points at it being a Sideshow Bob episode, and that Bob would die. Not to mention that if it is Krusty's father that dies, i don't see how that pivots into a plot about Homer's health, since Rabbi K is an old dude.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

I'm gonna say it's Barney since this would make sense about the Homer health subplot, it's not one of Hank Azaria's characters who said none of his would be killed off, and Dan Castellaneta has several Emmys, one of which for this character.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 19:25 on Sep 28, 2014

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That's a really good theory. They've kind of neglected that character in the second half of the series but it would actually be a death with some impact to long time fans.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

Tim Whatley posted:

I'm gonna say it's Barney since this would make sense about the Homer health subplot, it's not one of Hank Azaria's characters who said none of his would be killed off, and Dan Castellaneta has several Emmys, one of which for this character.

Is he Jewish? Because commercials and a poster I say show all the guys wearing yarmulkes at the funeral.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

smashpro1 posted:

Is he Jewish? Because commercials and a poster I say show all the guys wearing yarmulkes at the funeral.

Not that I know of, but that could be revealed or the poster/commercial could be intentionally misleading.

Tim Whatley fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 28, 2014

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
I wonder if the fact that FXX is showing a block of Krusty-centric Simpsons is a clue.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
:stonk:

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP
Uhhhhh

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Looks like trouble for the Sampsan family.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Haha so this is the opening by the Rejected! guy right?

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Rejected Simpsons!

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...
WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT COUCH GAG?

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
What in the actual gently caress did I just watch?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

This is literally the funniest thing I've seen related to The Simpsons in years.

That had to be Herzfeld right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that they're not ending this joke while it's funny, a perfect representation of the show.

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.
The gently caress was that couch gag?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

hcreight posted:

WHAT THE gently caress WAS THAT COUCH GAG?

The greatest thing ever, that's what.

Mira
Nov 29, 2009

Max illegality.

What would be the point otherwise?

I feel like such a nerd for immediately thinking "this couch gag reminds me of that 'My Spoon is Too Big' animation". Then googling the creator and being right.

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

Oh wow you guys called it.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The most copping out of cop outs.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
And there we go.

Tim Whatley
Mar 28, 2010

So loving lame

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Okay, who called Krusty's dad?

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Booo-urns

NoMoneyDown
Jan 27, 2009

I've got the advantage. You've got nothing.
Gah, cable blinked out. What happened before commercial?

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Oh it was that character I hadn't seen in a decade and hadn't thought about ever.

What a loss for us all.

Next they'll kill off Colbert's life coach character and make a big deal about it.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I like that the Simpsons treated this like a shocking twist that was to be eagerly awaited when they kept showing a Jewish funeral in the ads.

OldSenileGuy
Mar 13, 2001
:phew:

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I glad they built this up like a year in advance.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
So this is going to be an elaborate swerve with the real death at the end of the next act right?

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

NoMoneyDown posted:

Krusty's dad is dead. Now we'll never hear his hilarious jokes like

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Ah well, of course they went with the obvious.

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

NoMoneyDown posted:

One of the most amazing couch gags the show has had.

Then Krusty realizes his career's in the dumps and his dad died while they were talking.

fart blood
Sep 13, 2008

by VideoGames
I wouldn't exactly call him a recurring character.

I mean, technically yes he was, but not RECURRING recurring...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
There goes any chance of the Springfield Synagogue being in Tapped Out.

• Locked thread