Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe
I loved all the smeary animation for the Ullman Simpsons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

Phy posted:

I loved all the smeary animation for the Ullman Simpsons.

It was too overdone in my opinion. Was the original animation that jerky? I do love when they reference their origins, like in "How I Wet Your Mother".

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Jiro posted:

Awesome they made a Attack on Titan reference, Bleach, Naruto, Lone Wolf and Cub and what was Maggie?

Actually it looks like Homer is a One Piece reference, the three swords and green hair make him Zoro.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

BJPaskoff posted:

It was too overdone in my opinion. Was the original animation that jerky? I do love when they reference their origins, like in "How I Wet Your Mother".

The lines were cleaner but the animation was really true to the original;
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gp4TBRawxSA

tarlibone
Aug 1, 2014

Am I a... bad person?
AM I??

Fun Shoe

BJPaskoff posted:

The one thing they truly nailed, if not overused, was Bart's ability to swing his head in such a way that his eyes go one way and his mouth goes the other while making an exclamation of some kind.

I liked all of the Simpsons in the couch gag, but I think the Sough Park Simpsons could have been done better.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

You're quite good at turning me on.

twistedmentat posted:

I loved how the other Kubrick references, thought no Shining?

Simpsons did it

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I really enjoyed the Barry Lyndon reference.

mrfart
May 26, 2004

Dear diary, today I
became a captain.

cheerfullydrab posted:

I really enjoyed the Barry Lyndon reference.

I had to think about that one before I realized what it was from. I liked the ending for some reason. Kubrick with his pen. Pretty good episode.

Aye Doc
Jul 19, 2007

for anyone curious, the Simpsons World app sucks dick. forced to watch between 4-6 minutes of ads per episode, no Chromecast support, bizarre issues including the episode playing behind the ad, they apparently hosed with the aspect ratio on all the non-HD episodes.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!
I don't recognize/remember the ones behind the minions to the far right.

Aye Doc posted:

they apparently hosed with the aspect ratio on all the non-HD episodes.

FXX :argh:

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

Dr Tran posted:

I don't recognize/remember the ones behind the minions to the far right.

An older treehouse of horror when they did a parody of Dr. Moreau.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

This has honestly completely turned me off the whole Simpsons World thing -- like they're not fooling anyone into thinking they're HD, and is there anyone using an app to watch Simpsons episodes from the 90s that would go, "Get rid of these black bars! :argh:"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.

Mokinokaro posted:

An older treehouse of horror when they did a parody of Dr. Moreau.
I recognized it because that treehouse was so terrible! It ended with homer "snuggling" with a furry cat Marge, if you will recall.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

TheRationalRedditor posted:

I recognized it because that treehouse was so terrible! It ended with homer "snuggling" with a furry cat Marge, if you will recall.

The clones segment of the same episode was pretty funny though.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
Frank Silvero is suing The Simpsons for using his image.

Beeb
Jun 29, 2003

Good hunter, free us from this waking nightmare

Is there any way for a DirecTV subscriber to get in on that Simpsons World thing? It'd be nice to go back and watch some old favorites.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Aye Doc posted:

for anyone curious, the Simpsons World app sucks dick. forced to watch between 4-6 minutes of ads per episode, no Chromecast support, bizarre issues including the episode playing behind the ad, they apparently hosed with the aspect ratio on all the non-HD episodes.

I haven't had a single ad, but I'm using Chrome with adblock so...maybe use adblock because this is 2014 and oh my god why aren't you already using adblock?

Here's a question though: When they announced this thing they said there would be custom playlists, and the ability to share custom clips from episodes with people on social networks and such. Are both of those just not in at all yet, or am I an idiot and just can't find them?

smashpro1
Mar 1, 2009

Shirley, these things happen in video games. We can't get hung up on real-world morality.

TheJoker138 posted:

Here's a question though: When they announced this thing they said there would be custom playlists, and the ability to share custom clips from episodes with people on social networks and such. Are both of those just not in at all yet, or am I an idiot and just can't find them?

Not there, yet. That sucks, because none of the available clips are the "Sideshow Bob steps on rakes" one.

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Just a heads up for anyone who gets the FXX channel. They will be airing a 12-hour marathon of all the Treehouse of Horror episodes this Sunday.

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

smashpro1 posted:

Not there, yet. That sucks, because none of the available clips are the "Sideshow Bob steps on rakes" one.

Figured. Hopefully they get those out soon because while having these all to watch is super cool, the clips and playlists were what I was most looking forward to.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

I just want the ability to instantly create and share Simpsons animated gifs from any episode, after that I will have no need for any other form of internet communication.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Opposites A-Frack

Lisa hopes to counter Mr. Burns' fracking operation by bringing in Assemblywoman Maxine Lombard (GV: Jane Fonda), but is aghast when the two political opponents take a liking to each other.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
"Scary Lisa words"

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
You were but a bit of parsley on my beefsteak, now I cast you aside for the bus boys to gnaw on!

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

That was an okay episode. It was nice to see them use Burns as an evil antagonist rather than the senile old man characterization they've been going with for the past several years.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mister Kingdom posted:

Opposites A-Frack

Lisa hopes to counter Mr. Burns' fracking operation by bringing in Assemblywoman Maxine Lombard (GV: Jane Fonda), but is aghast when the two political opponents take a liking to each other.

Lisa wasn't aghast by that event, I don't even know if she was even involved slightly or said anything about the relationship.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Danzel Glovington posted:

Lisa wasn't aghast by that event, I don't even know if she was even involved slightly or said anything about the relationship.

I don't write 'em, I just report 'em. I have never used the word "aghast" in my life.

Danzel Glovington
Mar 16, 2006

I'm too old to bury my son!

Mister Kingdom posted:

I don't write 'em, I just report 'em. I have never used the word "aghast" in my life.

I figured as much, just kind of funny.

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

The Futurama crossover episode airs this Sunday. I'm going to say I'm cautiously optimistic about this one as while I didn't think the Family Guy crossover was good, it was definitely... a thing, and bizarre enough to keep my interest. Here's hoping the generally higher quality of Futurama can elevate this episode above that one.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LHjtlcLuggM

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
Will Bender actually eat Bart's shorts?

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Is it really a crossover if Futurama is over?

Cacator
Aug 6, 2005

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Is it really a crossover if Futurama is over?

Ooh, you may be right. Futurama reunion?

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Is this going to be a Treehouse Of Horror type thing, or is it a "real" Simpsons episode?

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Senor Tron posted:

Is this going to be a Treehouse Of Horror type thing, or is it a "real" Simpsons episode?

The Futurama gang travels back in time to prevent the Simpsons from destroying the future.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

Mister Kingdom posted:

The Futurama gang travels back in time to prevent the Simpsons from destroying the future.

Yeah, but I mean the Simpsons has generally done a good job of differentiating between the "real" Simpsons universe (and I totally understand that has little meaning to begin with given The Simpsons very flexible continuity) and side-episodes like the Treehouse episodes, Behind the Laughter, Spinoff Showcase etc.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo
I wouldn't mind if they played the crossover straight and only justified it with time travel, though I didn't mind how the earlier Bongo comics crossovers did it, with sci-fi technobabble turning fictional worlds real.

I am a bit concerned how the episode will look. Simpsons typically looks "flatter" than Futurama, and some might see it as an animation downgrade for the Planet Express crew. I am looking forward to this episode, but I'll go in with low expectations anyway. I'm not sure how many laugh-out-loud jokes we'll get. The episode might also move too quickly and leave us with a "That's it?" feeling at the end.

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
This poo poo had better be like 75% Futurama and give a canon sense of advancement past the recursive time loop ending, ayyy.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

Senor Tron posted:

Yeah, but I mean the Simpsons has generally done a good job of differentiating between the "real" Simpsons universe (and I totally understand that has little meaning to begin with given The Simpsons very flexible continuity) and side-episodes like the Treehouse episodes, Behind the Laughter, Spinoff Showcase etc.

I don't know, especially after that future episode with all of the Homer clones.

J-Spot
May 7, 2002

Senor Tron posted:

In January they're doing a "real" episode where the family meet Kang and Kodos. After 26 years they'll use whatever plots they can come up with to get them to 22 episodes a year.

Speaking of which, I think we're right about at the point where we should be hearing if Fox is going to renew the show or not. They would need to start up production on season 27 soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away

J-Spot posted:

In January they're doing a "real" episode where the family meet Kang and Kodos. After 26 years they'll use whatever plots they can come up with to get them to 22 episodes a year.

Speaking of which, I think we're right about at the point where we should be hearing if Fox is going to renew the show or not. They would need to start up production on season 27 soon.

On one hand, I would love to see them pass Gunsmoke's 635 episodes, but on the other I don't want to imagine the plots it would take to get them there.

• Locked thread