Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

cursedshitbox posted:

while a beautiful piece of hardware, its on TVR levels of fuckery.

Well, I mean, it's an Italian Chrysler. A sure sign of quality!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Huggable Bear King
Jan 12, 2006
H.B.K.

Das Volk posted:

Time for an update. I'm taking the car to Laguna Seca next Friday, and this will be a good opportunity to get in some time on my second favorite track. Then off to LV for the SRT trackday the following monday.

That's awesome that you're actually taking it racing and not just standing in front of it to pick up chicks/field goony dude questions.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
I love how you never hear about this poo poo because most owners of these kinds of cars rarely drive them and definitely don't drive them hard.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.

BlackMK4 posted:

I love how you never hear about this poo poo because most owners of these kinds of cars rarely drive them and definitely don't drive them hard.

when it's time to drive it he will always drive it hard.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

atomicthumbs posted:

when it's time to drive it he will always drive it hard.

It's a beautiful thing.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

Huggable Bear King posted:

That's awesome that you're actually taking it racing and not just standing in front of it to pick up chicks/field goony dude questions.

Track day != racing.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

drgitlin posted:

Track day != racing.

You mean you don't try to win your trackday?

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.

BlackMK4 posted:

You mean you don't try to win your trackday?

It's easy to win if the other person doesn't know it's a race. It's why I've got trophies for commuting. ;)

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Raluek posted:

Well, I mean, it's an Italian Chrysler. A sure sign of quality!

I don't think transmission problems in a Chrysler can be blamed on the Italians.

Now when all the electronics stop working and/or it catches on fire, then we can blame Italy. :v:

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

HotCanadianChick posted:

I don't think transmission problems in a Chrysler can be blamed on the Italians.

Now when all the electronics stop working and/or it catches on fire, then we can blame Italy. :v:

Well, the radio hasn't worked from day one, right?

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

BlackMK4 posted:

That's the case for most sports cars except the Viper for some reason. Ralph indicated that 25% of Viper owners take their cars to the track/drag strip. Going by the Gen V forum, the number seems accurate with all the members who do just that, so it might be worthwhile for DV to read the race threads for handling quirks or potential problems.

Right now the hot topic in the community is modding since HP tuners cracked the ECU. One guy is making 607whp with bolt-ons and a tune. There's both turbo and supercharging packages in the works for crazy people.

Tekne fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Nov 21, 2014

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tekne posted:

That's the case for most sports cars except the Viper for some reason. Ralph indicated that 25% of Viper owners take their cars to the track/drag strip. Going by the Gen V forum, the number seems accurate with all the members who do just that, so it might be worthwhile for DV to read the race threads for handling quirks or potential problems.

Right now the hot topic in the community is modding since HP tuners cracked the ECU. One guy is making 607whp with bolt-ons and a tune. There's both turbo and supercharging packages in the works for crazy people.

The only tune I might consider would be for the sake of killing off the skip shift once the transmission is fixed. There's no way I'm doing power mods right now, the car needs suspension and brakes.

drgitlin posted:

Track day != racing.

Does hillclimbing count, since there's a timer? :v:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Yeah, adding nothing but power would be unbelievably sketchy. Looking forward to that Laguna Seca video.

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Das Volk posted:

The only tune I might consider would be for the sake of killing off the skip shift once the transmission is fixed. There's no way I'm doing power mods right now, the car needs suspension and brakes.

Do you have to tune that out in the Viper, or can you just get a jumper harness like every single GM product in the past twenty years?

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
What the hell? I've never heard of this skip shift crap until now. 1-4? That's absurd.

Raluek
Nov 3, 2006

WUT.

Beach Bum posted:

What the hell? I've never heard of this skip shift crap until now. 1-4? That's absurd.

If it helps the manufacturers sell more cool cars without getting dong-razzled by the EPA, I'm all for it. Even better if it can be turned off in software or with a resistor in place of the solenoid. I'd rather they do something like that than say "Welp, guess we have to only offer an automatic, the stick won't make EPA numbers."

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Raluek posted:

If it helps the manufacturers sell more cool cars without getting dong-razzled by the EPA, I'm all for it. Even better if it can be turned off in software or with a resistor in place of the solenoid. I'd rather they do something like that than say "Welp, guess we have to only offer an automatic, the stick won't make EPA numbers."

It seems doubly ridiculous in the Viper because it has skip shift but gets a double helping of the gas guzzler tax anyways, which means it was a wasted exercise.

Edit: Top Gear was right. The M3 was perfect. It is the benchmark. Everything else has to stand up to it, and I'm realizing what a massive hurdle that is now.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Nov 21, 2014

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003

Das Volk posted:

Yes, of course it counts - if it's timed it's motorsport. But a track day or a test day aren't - you're not racing, there's no pressure, it's about testing the car, yourself, or just having fun.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World

Das Volk posted:

It seems doubly ridiculous in the Viper because it has skip shift but gets a double helping of the gas guzzler tax anyways, which means it was a wasted exercise.

Edit: Top Gear was right. The M3 was perfect. It is the benchmark. Everything else has to stand up to it, and I'm realizing what a massive hurdle that is now.

The closest thing on the horizon might be the upcoming GT350 of all things. Mega-RPM V8 with a proper 6 speed and Torsen LSD plus magnetic ride control suspension.

Unless it falls apart like every other fast American car you've tried so far. Have you had a Ford burst into flames on you yet? :v:

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

sean10mm posted:

The closest thing on the horizon might be the upcoming GT350 of all things. Mega-RPM V8 with a proper 6 speed and Torsen LSD plus magnetic ride control suspension.

Unless it falls apart like every other fast American car you've tried so far. Have you had a Ford burst into flames on you yet? :v:

No, but I almost immediately hated the Corvette. The Viper not so; some adjustment cleared up the grinding in the forward gears so now it's just reverse that needs fixing, which I can live with for the moment.

I can not overstate how much fun this car is to drive. I saw a new TST on the T/A and I agree with nearly everything he says https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kd1b18ccH3E

I'll put up with a lot from this car. Like a girl I fell in love with, I will attach "but it's so worth it" to any detractive statement I make about it. I also like having a special hotline I can call that manages my service appointments and tries to get me manual Challengers as loaners.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
I take your disgust with your previous 'vette means you wouldn't consider a C7? Spent a week with a Z51 Stingray this summer and was quite impressed, and the Z07 seemed to impress Andy Pilgrim: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-first-drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Az1y62pFmE

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

drgitlin posted:

I take your disgust with your previous 'vette means you wouldn't consider a C7? Spent a week with a Z51 Stingray this summer and was quite impressed, and the Z07 seemed to impress Andy Pilgrim: http://autoweek.com/article/car-reviews/2015-chevrolet-corvette-z06-first-drive

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Az1y62pFmE

Pfft. Its g-meter only goes up to 1.25, Volk's Viper goes to 1.5.

The true measure of a sports car is its telemetry.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Pfft. Its g-meter only goes up to 1.25, Volk's Viper goes to 1.5.

The true measure of a sports car is its telemetry.

Or how it looks on a flatbed..

Yeahhh so much for that. Threw a rod at 4200 miles.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Nov 30, 2014

surivdaoreht
Jan 22, 2009

Yeaaah. That'll leave a bad taste in your mouth.

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde
Mopar. Mopar never changes.

:(

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 251 days!)

Terrible Robot posted:

Mopar. Mopar never changes.

:(

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKqXu-5jw60

Guinness
Sep 15, 2004

:lol:

I feel for you DV, that's not fun poo poo to deal with at all, but I find it hilarious that you've given both American "supercars" a chance and both have let you down with their utter garbage quality.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
ChryCo is paying for your new motor, right?

Turbo Fondant
Oct 25, 2010

gently caress 2014CHRYSLER

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013
How long till all the Hellcat fanboys experience this?

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
HOLY gently caress.

The hell happened?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

I'm sorry, that really loving sucks, but at the same time this is just getting comical.

At the rate you're going, if you set foot in a Ford it will burst into flame in a way that the Italians can only dream of.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
Nooooooooo

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

IOwnCalculus posted:

I'm sorry, that really loving sucks, but at the same time this is just getting comical.

At the rate you're going, if you set foot in a Ford it will burst into flame in a way that the Italians can only dream of.

I really should just buy a GT350 at this point, and park it near people I don't like.

I've owned 5 BMWs and had no issues with them outside of my inability to torque a brake caliper bolt.

If Dodge aren't assholes like GM were about the car's many failures I might accept a 2015 as a replacement. So far ChryCo has been really good/responsive about the problems I've been having, which is more than I can say about GM when I had that loving Vette.

Difference between the Viper and Vette: I hated the Vette when I took it in to be put down, I still love the Viper.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Das Volk posted:

I really should just buy a GT350 at this point, and park it near people I don't like.

Difference between the Viper and Vette: I hated the Vette when I took it in to be put down, I still love the Viper.

Never change.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

IOwnCalculus posted:

I was thinking that maybe he could replace the Viper with one of the new Shelby GT350s, but I fear you are right. Hell, at this rate if he were to get into actual skin contact with a Ford GT, the resultant fireball would be visible from 2 counties away.

Maybe it's the universe's way of telling him to sell the Viper and get a Cayman GTS instead? :getin: He's had better luck with ze Germans so far...

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

That is amazing.

DV, maybe you should try a Maserati next time :v:

n8r
Jul 3, 2003

I helped Lowtax become a cyborg and all I got was this lousy avatar
Why would they give you a new car? Wouldn't they just replace the motor?

blk
Dec 19, 2009
I keep hearing about the Vette but can't find the thread; could someone please link and/or summarize?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

To the goldmine with you: 2008 Corvette trip report: A warning about GM

• Locked thread