Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

n8r posted:

Why would they give you a new car? Wouldn't they just replace the motor?

At 4200 miles a car that needs a motor and tranny work is more likely to be a buyback/trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Das Volk posted:

At 4200 miles a car that needs a motor and tranny work is more likely to be a buyback/trade.

Especially with the other problems you've documented / been chasing.

Sucks, DV. You're going to end up back in an M4.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Das Volk posted:

mobby_6kl posted:

This makes more power/torque at idle than a BP miata does at redline, doesn't it?
The power meters in it claim about 150 ft-lbs when moving off idle, so yeah.

Speaking of meters, I'm only one hard right hander away from pegging it in all 4 directions:

So it looks like the tortoise wins again, Das Volk. :smug:

Seriously though I'm really sorry to hear all this, and hope that it was one of those "poo poo happens" things since I haven't really heard much about Viper engines just blowing up like that.

NitroSpazzz
Dec 9, 2006

You don't need style when you've got strength!

Das Volk posted:

Yeahhh so much for that. Threw a rod at 4200 miles.

At least it still looks amazing in the garage. I mean it's meant to mostly live in there anyways right?

Sucks to hear it blew up already after all the issues you'd already been dealing with.

Is something Bavarian in your future?

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
You should just buy a TVR at this point.

drgitlin
Jul 25, 2003
luv 2 get custom titles from a forum that goes into revolt when its told to stop using a bad word.
Holy poo poo. Those Friday-built cars just keep seeking you out.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

I think you must be the problem.

Sucks to hear. :(

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Just read up on this thread, looking forward to reaching the end and congratulating DV along with the rest of yez, but daaaamn.

You've got to get your bad Viper karma out of the way early on, though. I don't have experience with the new gen, but everything I've seen of the G3/G4 era is that they're tanks. I have an '04 (in black, nice choice! yours really integrates the shoulder scoops well) with a supercharger good for around 750hp, and it's been the most trouble-free thing I've ever seen. And wow has it been through a lot.

If you're still sweet on the car (and I would be), don't give up now. The noise it makes and the presence it carries on the road never gets old. And there's still nobody touching it performance-wise, certainly not for the price.

What's the diagnosis? How did it manage to throw a rod? That engine is super tried and true by this point. You wouldn't have spun a bearing unless you decided to go without oil for a day or something, and you don't sound like the type...

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Data Graham posted:

What's the diagnosis? How did it manage to throw a rod?
He was being chased by the majority of the Chicago PD and two station wagons full of Illinois Nazis.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

So in other words he does sound like the type? :v:

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

Data Graham posted:

What's the diagnosis? How did it manage to throw a rod? That engine is super tried and true by this point. You wouldn't have spun a bearing unless you decided to go without oil for a day or something, and you don't sound like the type...

My guess is that the abuse at the hands of the dealership ran a bit deeper than a cooked amp and lunched third gear synchro...

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Larrymer posted:

In the sense that I'm not meant to own an American car, I suppose that's possible. I only manage to break American cars though.

MrChips posted:

My guess is that the abuse at the hands of the dealership ran a bit deeper than a cooked amp and lunched third gear synchro...

This too. I'm going to keep on owning one if I can, but that's up to Chrysler now. I'm going to want a new car at this point - I don't think something with a new motor and trans is going to bode well for resale.

Das Volk fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Nov 30, 2014

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Will your red-phone concierge be able to help you with that, or are you going to be stuck trying to accuse the same dealership you got the thing from (and want a new car from) of shenanigans?

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Data Graham posted:

Will your red-phone concierge be able to help you with that, or are you going to be stuck trying to accuse the same dealership you got the thing from (and want a new car from) of shenanigans?

They will help yes, and it'll be a different dealership.

Here's me trying to limp it out of the street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U239EnVMvYI

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Data Graham posted:

And there's still nobody touching it performance-wise, certainly not for the price.

Guess you haven't heard of the new z06. I'm pretty sure it will beat the viper in about every measurable category, including price.

Das Volk posted:

In the sense that I'm not meant to own an American car, I suppose that's possible. I only manage to break American cars though.

This too. I'm going to keep on owning one if I can, but that's up to Chrysler now. I'm going to want a new car at this point - I don't think something with a new motor and trans is going to bode well for resale.

Hopefully they take care of you one way or the other. I would chalk this up to "lol chrysler" (though it's sad for their flagship) and the GM's being terrible because that era wasn't exactly GM's finest. I believe it's much better now, however, with any automaker you'll have a few lemons here and there.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Larrymer posted:

Guess you haven't heard of the new z06. I'm pretty sure it will beat the viper in about every measurable category, including price.

GM were huge assholes about the problems I had with my Corvette from the get-go. Chrysler seems to care about the reputation of their halo cars at least.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗
I think the cars have heard you poo poo talk them so much they do this in protest.

That said, one of my buddies at work just had his M3 lemon lawed and replaced it, and his wife's X5M is on its way to the same fate.

poo poo happens.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
that squeal is a main. there is something wrong with the oil pump(or its pickup) or main galley.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Das Volk posted:

GM were huge assholes about the problems I had with my Corvette from the get-go. Chrysler seems to care about the reputation of their halo cars at least.

I don't know all of the history with the V and the vette, but did you speak with anyone at corporate? I saw some stuff about the dealership and some Bowling Green guy in the old thread.

It sucks that the dealers are totally hit or miss. :smith:

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cursedshitbox posted:

there is something wrong with the oil pump(or its pickup) or main galley.
It's probably full of engine.

redgubbinz
May 1, 2007

The fake chatlogs between Volk and Lutz were probably the best thing to come of that mess.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

InitialDave posted:

:lol: and that's probably more true than false.

SUSE Creamcheese
Apr 11, 2007
That sounds like 13 INCH's old Starion. :stare:

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

Das Volk posted:

Here's me trying to limp it out of the street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U239EnVMvYI

God Bless the Dead :golfclap:

Previa_fun fucked around with this message at 01:34 on Dec 1, 2014

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

Man, that's really saddening to read about.

I'd suggest joining the Viper Owners' forum and making a thread about it: http://driveviper.com/forums/forums/7-Gen-V They appear to have the ear of some higher ups within Dodge/SRT as well as the best dealerships in the country. The odds of it being resolved in a good manner will certainly be higher with their help. Hope everything works out.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

InitialDave posted:

Ok. As awful as this whole thing has been for you, DV, this made it worthwhile.

atomicthumbs
Dec 26, 2010

We're in the business of extending man's senses.
it still appears to have some get up and go despite also having a crankcase full of mulch.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
RIP little Viper, you were taken from us too soon. May you finally be lulled into the peaceful rest that you deserve.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

Can't decide is this a better or worst death compared to the usual spin out and crash viper fate.

Maybe since you have finally used up all your bad luck now all you'll have left is good luck :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Supposedly one of the biggest causes of Viper-related spinout death is missing the 3-4 shift and putting it in 2nd.

Not sure how much stock to put in it (it's never felt like an imminent danger to me), but the trick I've always paranoidly used is "thumb up for 1-3, thumb down for 4-6".

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Data Graham posted:

Supposedly one of the biggest causes of Viper-related spinout death is missing the 3-4 shift and putting it in 2nd.
Yeah, I was musing over whether the pretty-much-agreed-upon-at-this-point abuse prior to DV taking ownership had involved a money shift that caused a mechanical over-rev, but I wasn't convinced that it wouldn't have enough engine braking to just lock up the rear end instead.

Saga
Aug 17, 2009

Das Volk posted:

Yeahhh so much for that. Threw a rod at 4200 miles.

Das Volk, Alberto at Area Maserati Garage called, he has a car he would like to sell you!

e: efb Kozmonaut! :arghfist:

Saga fucked around with this message at 15:11 on Dec 1, 2014

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.
I knew Das Volk buying a Mopar was going to be a problem.

Honestly, this is pretty unheard of with the V10, unless people start spraying or boosting, and even then it usually can handle it.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Mighty Horse posted:

I knew Das Volk buying a Mopar was going to be a problem.

Honestly, this is pretty unheard of with the V10, unless people start spraying or boosting, and even then it usually can handle it.

I've had the opportunity to talk to the VOA chair out here and apparently this has happened several times in varying circumstances with the Gen 5 cars. Everyone has assured me that they'll take care of it, so I guess it's down to the time it takes now.

Mr-Spain
Aug 27, 2003

Bullshit... you can be mine.

Larrymer posted:

Hotbod Handsomeface
Dec 28, 2009
What are you driving in the meantime? Did you get a Dodge Dart loaner?

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I will always read it as "Dodge Drat"

Stultus
Jul 22, 2007

Just finished catching up on the thread. That really sucks, but fortunately Chrysler is pretty good about replacing new cars with problems. Back in 2011 I bought a fourth-gen Grand Cherokee with the new V6 which had two transmission issues with less than 5,000 miles on it. After the second time I told them I never wanted to see the truck again and they happily replaced it with another Grand Cherokee, with a Hemi this time, no questions asked.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Have you considered a Corolla?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

ColdPie posted:

Have you considered a Corolla?

His mom had one, and it was stolen.

• Locked thread