Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GentlemanofLeisure
Aug 27, 2008
I saw all the replies and figured you took it to a trackday or something.

So very sorry to hear about the bad news.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

cursedshitbox posted:

His mom had one, and it was stolen.

His mom stole a Corolla?

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Data Graham posted:

His mom stole a Corolla?

Perhaps you'll give birth in the street, but some people have (admittedly low) standards.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747
Here's a photo of the culprit. There's little bits of metal hanging around in the oil pickup, the pan, and I imagine lots of other places.

West SAAB Story
Mar 13, 2014

by Athanatos

(and can't post for 257 days!)

Not that big of a deal.. just weld it back in! :v:

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I like how the rod helpfully dug a big enough hole in the block for you to see through.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe
To quote you from neai yesterday, "the main overheated"

I see blueing.

:stonk:

overheat indeed

E: VVVV Looks that way!

I'd buy one just on that -alone-

cursedshitbox fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Dec 5, 2014

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

Factory ARP rod bolts?

jamal
Apr 15, 2003

I'll set the building on fire
A batch of Subarus had a problem where all the sand didn't get cleaned out of the block castings. So they all toasted a bearing or two in the first few thousand miles.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

IOwnCalculus posted:

Factory ARP rod bolts?

Holy poo poo, Dodge knows how to party. That is awesome.

cursedshitbox
May 20, 2012

Your rear-end wont survive my hammering.

Fun Shoe

Seat Safety Switch posted:

they did fractured rods too. They've done em on the 4.7 mods for a while, and thats also awesome.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Seat Safety Switch posted:

Yeah, and that rotating bearing design is pretty slick. :v:

Mat_Drinks
Nov 18, 2002

mmm this nitromethane gets my supercharger runnin'
gently caress me a lot has happened in a week and a half.

DV didn't you own the Cayman that caught on fire at a track day too? If so, you're the reason I don't own a Cayman. Or maybe that was Belldandy?

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Mat_Drinks posted:

gently caress me a lot has happened in a week and a half.

DV didn't you own the Cayman that caught on fire at a track day too? If so, you're the reason I don't own a Cayman. Or maybe that was Belldandy?

That was Eintier. It sucks to blow an engine but every Boxster/Cayman from 1997-2008 and every non-GT/non-Turbo 911 had IMS issues. I'm shocked people still buy them on the used market to be honest.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Pr0kjayhawk posted:

That was Eintier. It sucks to blow an engine but every Boxster/Cayman from 1997-2008 and every non-GT/non-Turbo 911 had IMS issues. I'm shocked people still buy them on the used market to be honest.

poo poo, I had every issue BUT that with my Cayman. Clutch died at 60k miles (looked fantastic, just out of spec), third gear went out in the transaxle, shifter cable end broke, front control module. I made the mistake of waxing the car, what a loving idiot I am. That FCM took out the light control module, left and right door control modules sequentially, and two $175 batteries. 10 months ownership was too long. I traded it in on a reliable Dodge Challenger 392, ironic as it seems. I didn't have three weeks running without it being down. I managed to get the Cayman into the dealership between CELs, and it still had a headlight adjustment warning light when I traded it. Took only a $2000 hit, and it was worth it to have a car that I didn't have to carry a jump box in every time I drove it.

That said, the car handled like a go-kart in the corners, had sublime steering and sounded like a demon with headers and exhaust.

I like the Dodge better.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

I lost a Variocam solenoid in mine after about 10K miles. Other than that it was a rock, but after reading all the IMS stuff I'm glad I got rid of it when I did.

Maybe I'm misreading, but how did waxing it kill your FCM?

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I lost a Variocam solenoid in mine after about 10K miles. Other than that it was a rock, but after reading all the IMS stuff I'm glad I got rid of it when I did.

Maybe I'm misreading, but how did waxing it kill your FCM?

Apparently waxing the car builds up static electricity that can easily kill the FCM. It can happen on any 987 or 991.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

wallaka posted:

Apparently waxing the car builds up static electricity that can easily kill the FCM. It can happen on any 987 or 991.

Inferior German grounding.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Das Volk posted:

They will help yes, and it'll be a different dealership.

Here's me trying to limp it out of the street: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U239EnVMvYI

perfect song title

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010

wallaka posted:

You guys are loving with me, right? This can't possibly be true.

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Beach Bum posted:

You guys are loving with me, right? This can't possibly be true.

Well, they redesigned the part in 2008 or so to be less susceptible to it, after like 10 years of production. http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/32374-waxing-killed-my-car/

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

wallaka posted:

:psyduck:

That's ridiculous.

Edit: If they canged it in 2008, how can it affect 991s?

InitialDave fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Dec 6, 2014

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

InitialDave posted:

:psyduck:

That's ridiculous.

Edit: If they canged it in 2008, how can it affect 991s?

Sorry, meant 997. Numbers all look alike in the morning. It probably affects 996s too. The module location didn't change.

wallaka fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Dec 6, 2014

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

Haha I wonder how long it took them to figure out that waxing the car was causing the problem. Unbelievable.

Bajaha
Apr 1, 2011

BajaHAHAHA.

wallaka posted:

Apparently waxing the car builds up static electricity that can easily kill the FCM.

Never change German engineering, never change.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Can someone link me to all previous das volk threads? This is amazing and horrible.

I'm sorry for you, that viper was beautiful.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Bob NewSCART posted:

Can someone link me to all previous das volk threads? This is amazing and horrible.

I'm sorry for you, that viper was beautiful.

Thanks, I'm sure I'll get it back fixed or another one like it, I'm just missing driving the thing now.

Here's the final thread I posted about the Corvette, it's all I could find (you might need archives):
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=2936086

It does seem a little weird that I beat on my M3's for years without skipping a beat, and the minute I go back to an American car something like this happens.

Dr.Smasher
Nov 27, 2002

Cyberpunk 1987
You seem to have a fairly large budget. Why not pick up a Ford GT and have that blow up on you?

Tremek
Jun 10, 2005

Dr.Smasher posted:

You seem to have a fairly large budget. Why not pick up a Ford GT and have that blow up on you?

Banks won't stand up a loan for a Ford GT. Also, 2x what the Viper cost.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

salvage title GTs are worth $250k at this point. It's insane. They made over 4000, and yet they've doubled in price over msrp.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

Tremek posted:

Banks won't stand up a loan for a Ford GT. Also, 2x what the Viper cost.

This. Also if I was going to destroy a Ford product it'd be a GT350.

Vitamin J
Aug 16, 2006

God, just tell me to shut up already. I have a clear anti-domestic bias and a lack of facts.

Powershift posted:

salvage title GTs are worth $250k at this point. It's insane. They made over 4000, and yet they've doubled in price over msrp.
And Jeremy Clarkson sold his.

BrokenKnucklez
Apr 22, 2008

by zen death robot

Das Volk posted:

It does seem a little weird that I beat on my M3's for years without skipping a beat, and the minute I go back to an American car something like this happens.

I own fussy rear end British bricks and they rarely give me issues. All the american cars I have owned were always problem children.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Das Volk posted:

This. Also if I was going to destroy a Ford product it'd be a GT350.

That would be my choice as well, that engine sounds amazing.

But there's just something wonderfully primal about the Viper.

Mighty Horse
Jul 24, 2007

Speed, Class, Bankruptcy.

Vitamin J posted:

And Jeremy Clarkson sold his.

Pretty much a sure bet that it will double in value a year or two after.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Any updates, DV? How receptive / apologetic has Dodge been with the problem?

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Mighty Horse posted:

Pretty much a sure bet that it will double in value a year or two after.

Obviously, it's because the car can now go on the Cool Wall.

Das Volk
Nov 19, 2002

by Cyrano4747

meatpimp posted:

Any updates, DV? How receptive / apologetic has Dodge been with the problem?

Honestly Dodge/SRT has been really great. Today they said they're replacing the motor for sure now, and I put in a request to replace the car contingent on the fact that heavy-duty repairs like this will likely end up on a CarFax. We'll see how that pans out, but I'll either end up with a new one or some recompense for all the repairs and downtime, in addition to a brand new and fully updated drivetrain. They communicate well, they don't argue, they didn't accuse me of anything (which I had come to expect) and at least for SRT vehicles the customer service is awesome.

randomidiot
May 12, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 years!)

I would think the ECU would have logged an overspeed if you'd actually caused the engine to spontaneously disassemble itself, such as something caused by a moneyshift. And I guarantee they've already checked the ECU for that kind of stuff. Probably why they're stepping up to the plate, the technology is there to show that it is/is not something you caused (plus it's kind of their halo car).

And yeah, generally a lot of dealer work gets sent to CarFax, even stuff as mundane as oil changes. I'm kind of tempted to run the CarFax on mine to see if the recall work has shown up. I was also been accused of causing a hit and run accident last year (over 400 miles away from here, on a day I was working all day doing delivery), so I'm wondering if that's going to show up. I've already taken a huge hit on what little value my car has thanks to the publicity about the KILLER DEATH IGNITION SWITCHES, it'd be my luck to have false poo poo show up.

randomidiot fucked around with this message at 06:56 on Dec 9, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Das Volk posted:

I think you drive your American cars differently from the German ones. You've made no bones about the fact you prefer German cars over US cars. Didn't you have a Porsche before the CTS-V?

• Locked thread