Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mordieth
Dec 23, 2008

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?

imo, if you play green, play nissa

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?

Anthousa, duh.

(But it depends, what's your decklist?)

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Ramos posted:

Anthousa, duh.

(But it depends, what's your decklist?)

I'll post it in the brewhaus.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~

Samael posted:

Fun-ofs of all of then. :v:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Surrak in Temur colors. He does a lot of positive things for your other creatures and stacks up against Rhinos, Polukranos, etc. Sarkhan allows you to burn out something that is being problematic or get in for 4 damage. Stormbreath is still great if people are playing white removal or white creatures, but will be bad if people move to other types of removal. In the mirror match Stormbreath is likely to get Tactics'ed. Sphinx is an interesting meta game choice. Could be a great sideboard card if you're up against lots of dragons?

Keranos sounds fun as a garruk replacement, helps draw cards or helps kill opponent or problematic creature. Keranos + Polukranos activation kills just about everything in the format. The only issue is this would be turn 6 at the earliest.

Nissa does amazing things, definitely a 2-of in any green deck.

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

Korak posted:

Surrak in Temur colors. He does a lot of positive things for your other creatures and stacks up against Rhinos, Polukranos, etc. Sarkhan allows you to burn out something that is being problematic or get in for 4 damage. Stormbreath is still great if people are playing white removal or white creatures, but will be bad if people move to other types of removal. In the mirror match Stormbreath is likely to get Tactics'ed. Sphinx is an interesting meta game choice. Could be a great sideboard card if you're up against lots of dragons?

Keranos sounds fun as a garruk replacement, helps draw cards or helps kill opponent or problematic creature. Keranos + Polukranos activation kills just about everything in the format. The only issue is this would be turn 6 at the earliest.

Nissa does amazing things, definitely a 2-of in any green deck.

Thanks for the input and I completely agree with your point- Prognostic Sphinx deserves a slot for the mirror, it shuts down stormbreath and sarkhan hard while providing very good filtering and is hard to remove. As an option for me, they seem very good/similar in what they are doing and are very good at beating face, but sarkhan doesn't provide board presence and stormbreath dies to most of the common removal in the format.

With the deck, I want it to contain resilient threats and plenty of mana sinks to do late game and Knuckleblade, Polukranos and Nissa/Keranos provides that in spades, being able to do draw extra cards, produce lots of guys and being able to choose from a lot of options.

I am going to go with a 3 of nissa, 1 or 2 of Surrak and possibly 1 or 2 keranos (Maybe as a SB card?) and see how it goes in FNM for testing.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

superstepa posted:

Do you guys think that a Mono-red burn with prowess creatures can be a thing?
It sounds like it could work, you can have something like:
T1:Monastery Swiftspear
T2-T99: Burn while beating face with grown swiftspear

SCG has officially awarded me $50 for my performance with 4 Monastery Swiftspear registered in my deck. In Legacy.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AnacondaHL posted:

SCG has officially awarded me $50 for my performance with 4 Monastery Swiftspear registered in my deck. In Legacy.
Seems to be a few Swiftspear decks at the NJ legacy event top tables.

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Man, it's crazy to me how Anger of the Gods was a mediocre card before rotation, and now it's poised to be an awesome sweeper. It kills Bloodsoaked Champion dead and makes sure he never comes back, Makes Goblin Rabblemaster and his crew of flunkies very unhappy, makes Sylvan Caryatids go away before they can even start ramping, kills Sidisi and all her zombies, and hoses Narset, who could be seeing a bump in play because of her most recent win.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Stephen Mann got a game loss and match loss due to slow play in the semi-finals of the Legacy tournament. Apparently he had got a few warnings throughout the day. Tough break for him since the top 8 isn't timed. I couldn't see what exactly was preventing him from moving on with the game.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

This semifinals match is hilarious.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

This semifinals match is hilarious.
This finals is hilarious. UR Delver guy gonna cast 2 or more treasure cruises a game.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

I love that Khans is having an impact in Legacy right away. Has anyone played Jeskai Ascendancy in a big Modern tournament yet?

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.
I don't think there's been a big Modern tournament yet, though SCG's run a couple Modern IQs at their Opens this weekend. Don't see any decklists for those yet.

YourHumbleMessiah
Oct 11, 2005

Oh my goodness, those Treasure Cruises!

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
I think the only Modern coverage we get is Modern PTs/GPs.

SCG runs Modern Premier IQs at every Open but they don't do any coverage of it. Commentators will mention it and talk about the results from it the next week but no actual live coverage. It would be nice if they would do some coverage of it though. I'm sure they could afford the equipment and put together a B-Team of commentators without much trouble.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is
Monastery Swiftspear takes the SCG Legacy Open!

(also Delver of Secrets and other good cards but who cares)

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
That legacy finals was pretty amazing. 8 Khans cards mainboard in the winning deck. Khans is a bigger legacy staple than Theros that printed a few hatecards.

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
How many Khans printing Fetches were seen on screen during the course of the Legacy Open?

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Is there a magic Online thread or can I post here?

Cernunnos
Sep 2, 2011

ppbbbbttttthhhhh~
MODO posts go here just make it obvious you're talking about MODO so no-one thinks you've done something insane.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

MODO posts go here just make it obvious you're talking about MODO so no-one thinks you've done something insane.

Instead they'll know you did!

Vomax
Oct 12, 2005

?
Also maybe put "MODO = Magic Online" in the OP because that one took me a while to figure out.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Cernunnos posted:

What do you mean I can't play FNM in just my Garfield underwear?

I Love You!
Dec 6, 2002
Oh what's that Treasure Cruise is completely busted in various formats? WHAT A HUGE SURPRISE

Dungeon Ecology
Feb 9, 2011

Vomax posted:

Also maybe put "MODO = Magic Online" in the OP because that one took me a while to figure out.

I know that MODO = Magic Online, but I still don't know what the acronym is for. I'm assuming it's "Magic Online Draft Online." :shepface:

Dubbed Video...Dubbed.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Magic Online Digital Objects

CaptCommy
Aug 13, 2012

The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a goat.

Dr. Stab posted:

Magic Online Digital Objects

Magic Online with Digital Objects, technically.

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Korak posted:

What do you mean I can't play FNM in just my Garfield underwear?

Richard Garfield Underwear? I think there's a DCI rule specifically allowing this.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

I Love You! posted:

Oh what's that Treasure Cruise is completely busted in various formats? WHAT A HUGE SURPRISE
As one of the commentators pointed out, we're one week into Khans being legal. That could mean that the format has yet to adjust to it (more people playing Tormod's Crypt over Grafdigger's Cage could hate it out of the format). It could also mean that the deck that capitalizes on it the most has yet to show up.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Froghammer posted:

As one of the commentators pointed out, we're one week into Khans being legal. That could mean that the format has yet to adjust to it (more people playing Tormod's Crypt over Grafdigger's Cage could hate it out of the format). It could also mean that the deck that capitalizes on it the most has yet to show up.n

Nobody's playing Tormod's Crypt to hate out Treasure Cruise man.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer
Time to stock up on foil Treasure Cruises and Monastery Swiftspears and sit on them for three years!

neetengie
Jul 17, 2013

Shittiest taste in anime and video games.

BJPaskoff posted:

Time to stock up on foil Treasure Cruises and Monastery Swiftspears and sit on them for three years!
Dig Through Time is going to be a good contender I think because Card Selection > Random draw 3.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks

Cernunnos posted:

How much play did Sphinx of Uthuun get? 'Cause that's Fact or Fiction strapped to a 5/6 Flier for 5UU.

I could see them maybe doing a Functional FoF reprint that's a Sorcery instead of Instant at some point in the future.

It saw play in Tier-2 Heartless Summoning decks. But Rune-Scarred Demon was almost always just better. So basically no play, really. :negative:

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

So what deck is running Monastery Swiftspear anyway? Is it burn?

I'm betting it's burn.

BJPaskoff posted:

Too late. :argh:

Count Bleck fucked around with this message at 04:42 on Sep 29, 2014

Shovelmint
Apr 22, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Delver

Pyronic
Oct 1, 2008

ROYAL RAINWHARRGARBL

Delver Delve.

Snacksmaniac
Jan 12, 2008

Delv-er?

PERPETUAL IDIOT
Sep 12, 2003

Pyronic posted:

Delver Delve.

Soon to be known as Izzet Delver based on SCG moving over to "Shardless Sultai" and "Sultai Delver".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

• Locked thread