Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I'll just leave this here:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Temporary draw?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Zenith wasn't banned only because of Dryad Arbor, but also because if your deck had green in it, you had no reason not to run GSZ.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I see they're really stepping it up for Uncharted Realms, good job wizards ...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Got a list for your UR delver? I haven't updated mine since after khans, wondering what people are running.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I think that another reason why people netdeck is because cards cost money. If you buy expensive cards for your own brew, chances are that it just isn't going to be good, and you can't afford to just buy cards for another brew. If you buy cards for an established list, you at least know that the deck is decent.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Cedric Philips plays modern, but I'd hate to see him stop commentating legacy (with Patrick Sullivan), since it's the format that's the most fun to watch.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Lol, legacy owns. This is the board state and I have 4 bolts in my hand. I decide to shortcut it and just put all 4 on the stack because 4 bolts lol. I managed to win later on by drawing chain lightnings and snapcasters, but try and guess how the guy took no damage this turn.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Wadjamaloo posted:

Crop rotation into glacial chasm.
Haha bingo! Loam decks don't usually run Flusterstorm. So yeah, don't just put stuff on the stack all at once for no reason is what I learned from this.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Not sure. In paper, I'd usually go bolt? then wait for my opponent to say OK before proceeding with another bolt. Paper magic has some weird interactions like that, like for instance when you ask your opponent exactly how many copies of Deceiver Exarch they're making and then all of a sudden they decide they're playing around all sorts of stuff when previously they were just like "combo, do i win?"

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

kizudarake posted:

Goddammit, Wizards, I know it's hard to believe, but some women that date/marry magic players want to do stuff other than hang around game stores on Valentine's Day.

Fate Reforged game day is Feb. 14.

At the risk of sounding like a goon, valentine's day is a really bogus thing anyway

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

haha, best username+avatar+post combo.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I liked it when goblin's weren't just hurr durr we're stupid and die but had a little more depth to them:

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I remember thinking up of a situation that you can resolve on MTGO but have no chance of resolving in paper (and it's not a loop that causes a draw, like the o-ring loop), I'll try to think of what it was.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Oh yeah, I think I got it: you get an arbitrarily large storm count (say, one billion) and then cast Brain Freeze on an opponent, but your opponent has an Ulamog in his deck. After all of those copies of Brain Freeze are finished resolving, what is the top deck of your opponent's deck? I recall this actually happening in one of my EDH games once (I was the one with the Brain Freeze hehe)

EDIT: Well in this case his top card is random either way, but there are probably states that involve arbitrarily large numbers and not being able to resolve their effects because you would actually have to do something one billion times to see the end result.

EDIT2: For instance, if someone had a Dimir Doppelganger on the board during all this, which creature would he be able to copy? There's a chance that every creature in the opponent's deck that's being milled will eventually enter the graveyard, but it's not a 100% chance.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 04:05 on Nov 16, 2014

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

More proper art things recently posted: the Duel Decks Kiora and Elspeth, by Tyler Jacobson (of Pain Seer, Dawnstrike Paladin, the Teferi planeswalker, and lots of the THS key story images, so he can pull out good stuff.)

I like Elspeth's face, but her armour less so. The way the light on her legs looks, with very discrete patches of light, it seems more like the armour's been beaten with a hammer and crumpled; her left gauntlet crosses the line into just looking sloppy for me as well. The background detailing is very cool, but probably unlikely to be very visible at card size because it doesn't have enough contrast, especially with the sunbeams already mucking around with the light levels. Which is a shame, because I like both the sunbeams and all those little pieces in the back.

The way he's painted the clouds at twilight to give them a distinct colour is imaginative, and I like his handling of the spray, especially where Kiora's hand is trailing through it. It was maybe a bit better on Teferi, though. On the other hand, Kiora's face looks a touch plastic: I think it's the lips, in part. And I'm not quite sure of the head/neck proportions.
Also, holy poo poo, that giant sea monster eye I just noticed glaring at you in the corner of the art. :aaa:
These both look kind of unfinished to me, especially at this resolution. If you look there's a stark contrast between Kiora herself and the water around her. The water looks like concept art, you can clearly make out photoshop brushes or whatever. What I'm trying to say is I wish more artists in magic these days used traditional media.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

That IS suspect, someone on reddit is gonna have to do a shuffling analysis ...

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Which guys do you cards like? Do you have any decks?

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I like playing UR delver (legacy and modern) but in my defense I played them before they were popular. Went 3-1 with it in my LGS today, lost to some rear end in a top hat running a zoo deck with 4x maindeck volcanic fallout.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Do another cube I'll watch it, i can't sleep and i dont have to get up early in the morning soooo

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Pretty much main thing about modern is that Jace and Stoneforge are banned, so yeah, it's not gonna get unbanned.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Is it just me or are like 80% of people on pucatrade from either south america or australia

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

MaRo also said they won't be doing stuff that turns non-morph permanents face down so yeah, that's a fake probably.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

You can get your Twinflame back. If the copy of Mnemonic Wall is on the battlefield, that means that Twinflame has finished resolving, so it's in the graveyard. Its ETB ability can target the Twinflame.

It's the same process that allows you to blink a permanent repeatedly if you have a Mnemonic Wall on the battlefield and a Ghostly Flicker in hand.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

My old group actually did some rules modifications around things like infect. It's clearly intended to be half your life total, so in commander it's 20 poison counters to die. Same goes for Sorin Markov's -3 ability, which we errata to say, "Target opponent's life total becomes half their starting life total," since it's pretty busted otherwise and we didn't want to outright ban the card. But to be fair, we do that with Serra Ascendant and Felidar Sovereign, otherwise something like my Oloro deck could abuse that and just win on turn 3 or 4 if no one just has removal sitting in hand.

We do tuck commanders, though. Sometimes Terminus is your only defense against some shenanigans.
The thing with infect is though, that creatures with infect are very weak and there's very few of them, especially since commander is a singleton format. So I don't think it makes sense to have infect at 20, especially considering what other busted stuff you can do in commander.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Woop, had my first real game against a real salty dog! First he complained about my play because in game 1 I said I cast a snapcaster and then quickly said wait nooo uhh I'll cast manaleak instead. I said OK sorry I will be mindful of playing tighter. He did a similar thing in game 2 and accidentally mulliganed to 7 and then just shuffled a random card from his hand into the library. I probably should have called a judge there.

Anyway, he was on some sort of unearth burn deck and I played UR delver, and after I beat him 2-0 he had like a 3 minute tirade about how I "completely lucked out and that's all there is to it" and how the deck takes no skill and it's easy to win if you play bad but you're lucky, blah blah. It was pretty funny, I just sat there and after his rant said thanks for the game and left. In retrospect, I should have teased him a bit for being such a crybaby.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Let a be equal to the damage currently market on target creature. Then,

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

yup

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The Wicked Wall posted:

I'm looking to get into modern, and having played a fair bit with my friend's decks to help them test, I'm kind of interested in building Affinity. Problem is, it's a pretty expensive deck, and I'm wondering if there's a cheaper way to get into modern just so I can have a go at local events etc. with my own deck.

A few friends are suggesting building Living End, which on closer inspection looks hilarious and can be built fairly cheaply. Would anyone here be willing to chime in as to whether it's actually a good deck, or is it just a pile of pure silliness? I was told also it's easily countered, but so is Affinity so yeah. Cheers!
The problem with picking up something like affinity is that it's pretty expensive and once you get it, you only have cards for affinity. Its cards don't translate to other decks. Living end is pretty fun, but it's also pretty one-dimensional, so you can get bored of playing it quite quickly. The best thing to do is to slowly work towards staples that can translate to other decks. For instance, I shelled out for some fetchlands one day and got UR storm. Then later on I got a playset of snapcasters and I had UR delver. Then I got some restos and some celestial colonnades and I got UWR control.

UR delver is very good right now, it's not crazy expensive (especially the version without snapcasters), you can use khans fetchlands instead of scalding tarns, and it has cards that translate to other decks, so you can build up towards an UR shell. Cruise might get banned though, so wait for the next B&R announcement.

Or you can just pick up merfolk. It's a really fun deck and it packs quite a punch and it's surprisingly flexible for a mono blue deck. You can run a more midrange version with more master of waves, a totally aggro version with only 1-drops and lords, chalice of the void versions, etc.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

The deck existed and wasn't bad before Treasure Cruise, I think it will survive a Treasure Cruise ban regardless.

True, I ran it before TC. The version with 4 snapcasters and 4 DTT is also good, so if TC gets banned, DTT will probably step in as the delve spell of choice.

Also yeah, when is the B&R announcement

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

The reason it's banned I think is (besides the Dryad Arbor fetching) that if you're a green creature deck, there's pretty much no reason not to run 4x GSZ.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Looks like a really good top 8. Surprised to see no scapeshift there. Also wanna see that merfolk list!

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Aw man, that choke. It would be really cool to see merfolk get to the finals.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Partial Octopus posted:

Legacy: No changes or Earthcraft and Survival of the Fittest unbanned. Both combos now seem to have more than enough answers to them and would probably only impact the meta in a positive way. Specifically, earthcraft would make enchantress actually competitive.
I think there's no way Earthcraft gets unbanned, as elves is already one of the most solid and consistent combo decks in the format, Earthcraft would just put it way over the top.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

PERPETUAL IDIOT posted:

Why would elves want another combo finish that's not as good as the one it has, especially when neither piece can be tutored up?

I don't think Earthcraft would serve as a finish, but as a mana engine. Being able to tap elvish visionaries and wirewood symbiotes for mana could get that craterhoof behemoth out way more reliably.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Standstill ninjas is the best casual deck

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

First Bass posted:

Man, Tiny Leaders is starting to pick up at the local scene, and I'm deciding what to build. Two of my friends have made Doran Buttfights and Jeskai "Basically Legacy UWR Control", respectively. I've brewed up a Geist Voltron deck, but I'm afraid it might be just too disgusting, even if I'm playing against really experienced semi-pros. :ohdear:
Tiny leaders sounded kind of stupid to me, but after giving it a go I've found out that it's really really fun. It might still have some issues (geist and ezuri might be too strong, IoK, abrupt decay, liliana, etc) but I imagine it will get even better over time. Right now I have a Thassa merfolk tribal deck which is surprisingly powerful and a lot of fun. I also have a Nin, the Pain Artist deck which features a lot of boardwipes, lightning bolts, sweepers, walls (for drawing with Nin) and counterspells with just a couple of finishers.

I saw a guy playing basically a legacy jund loam deck and it was very powerful. Clique is awesome as a commander too.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Derevi is banned in TL. I think the best commanders are Ezuri and Geist and probably Marath. I'm having a lot of fun with Thassa merfolk tribal and Yasova zoo/tempo (think RUG delver in legacy). Another cool commander I've been thinking of is Nin the Pain artist UR control. Lots of sweepers, some counterspells, then put in some walls so you can ping with Nin and draw, and a couple of finishers (Calcite Snapper, Ludevic's Subject, Stitched Drake, TNN, Mardu Scout, etc.) and you're set.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Feb 4, 2015

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Mostly decks that don't have a lot of creatures (dark depth combo or pure control or the like) or doran decks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

I got a playset of volcanics and one tundra. I wanna trade the volcanics for goyfs because I mostly play modern but some part of my brain is preventing me from doing that, which is probably for the best.

Oh, the other day I was looking for a remand that I was sure I had, and I found a card with remand written on the back. Flipping it revealed that it was the remand I was looking for.

hey mom its 420 fucked around with this message at 15:16 on Feb 11, 2015

• Locked thread