Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Prediction from what I seen last night, temples are about to go up in price.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Why is SSG coverage so bad? They seem to only setup one camera on a match most of the time and when that match ends they usually don't have another game to go to consistently.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bryan Braun has 4x sorin in his azban deck. Holy poo poo.

Holy poo poo that deck. I will never play it because the pricetag on that deck is gross but wow, interesting game for sure.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Sep 27, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Deflecting palm seems to be an okay card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Hey guys, if you buy a VIP scg package you get a water bottle and UNLIMITED WATER STATION! The value!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Veyrall posted:

I thought that Bloodsoaked Champ was Exiled?

That was his point. Like the previous poster said he had a man untapped he decided to not use and toss a bloodsoaked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

How do you not notice an extra land on turn freaking two? If your opponent can pass that over on you, you deserve to lose.

and they deserve to lose for cheating

you both should lose

When you are too busy figuring out how to cheat your opponent you get too busy.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I never saw myself playing Jeskai, but after watching that chick win with what looks like a fun deck I think I will. Just bought some cheaper mantis riders and finished off the temples set while everything is around 5 bucks or less.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

I tell you what, SSG shuts down cards quickly as the event unfolds. So much instantly went out of stock I am pretty sure it had nothing to do with orders and more with them removing inventory from that price in order to wait for price adjustments.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

SCGs Singles are usually overpriced anyway.

As compared to what?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Shots fired!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

stinkles1112 posted:

Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

It was more of if there was a viable deck to put it in, not the card.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Mischalaniouse posted:

Blah, last night Mantis Riders were like 2.50 and I traded them for some Temples of Silence and now they've jumped up to like 8.00 a piece.

I knew one of those trades was going to go badly for me.

I knew they were going to rise, but gently caress thats a big gain.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Rinkles posted:

I'd just like to once experience how it warps the game in a standard environment, but I suppose it's effect on modern would be unacceptable.

Ban it in modern. Fin.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

You know what has kept the legacy format going for this long?

counterfeits

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

TicalStal posted:

Madmarker's deck he posted was pretty helpful - I think the point is if you have 55 bucks, its better to buy single cards than an intro pack and fatpack. Another competitive "budget" deck is mono black aggro (the base deck is cheap except the thoughtsiezes which you can work towards and replace with something else for now). Below is a list of one that top 32'd a large tournament over the weekend.

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73347

I can say that boon of erobos is an upgrade maindeck over heroes downfall in this format and also makes the deck cheaper. Despise can replace thoughtseize for extra savings.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Went to my local LGS at lunch and noticed they had ashcloud phoenix for 3 bucks peace. Was I wrong to think that was a purchase worth making?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

I simply can't fathom deciding to buy a bunch of cards based on what showed up at the SCG Open when the Pro Tour is in like a week.

Yes, they play a lot of matches at the SCG Open. No, it is not a big enough sample size to decide what the meta is.

I understand that people are having itchy trigger fingers but really? You can't fathom how people can buy cards after the first big tourney of the format?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Angry Grimace posted:

Not expensive ones, no. Unless you see a Master of Waves out there, but that's a card that DIDN'T get played in those SCG tournaments, not the other way around.

Wait, what card did you believe we are talking about because whatever the gently caress you are babbling about doesn't make sense.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Yawgmoth posted:

Holy poo poo, I had to check this out for myself. Man do I feel good about getting mine for $12.

I bought mine at 4 or 5 and I have 2 extra! Keep going up you crazy diamond!

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Yeah, I can't help but think Rabblemaster and Nissa are going to hold practically to M16. Plus green is already strong from Courser and Caryatid, and Mardu and Jeskai showing promise. Think painlands might go up too.

Painlands are already starting to go up slightly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

C-Euro posted:

I'm running 3 Rabblemasters in my Modern Goblins list until they reprint Goblin Piledriver (shut up and let me dream OK)

Also, when did Stoke the Flames become a $4 card? And should I pick up a playset if I want to play red this Standard season?

Stoke is a staple and its a m15 card, both things mean it's going to be expensive. Nic-fleece ram prices are going up it seems too.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cernunnos posted:

I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.
[/quot

[quote="Cernunnos" post="435628758"]
I'm glad I've got my playset at like 25 cents.

I guess it shot up from people trying to build the Jeskai Tempo deck from the last Open.

It was high well before that.

Looks like it went from 2 bucks to 4 just from the open.

Sickening fucked around with this message at 01:17 on Oct 1, 2014

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Well what player is the most likely to BE murdered?

The slow play guy. Or maybe the guy in the pro tour in 2011 that pile shuffled his own deck and his opponents deck 6 times.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Madmarker posted:

On Stream? Alex Bertoncini

Stephen Mann

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Entropic posted:

What about the guy who grabs his ten lands and scoops them up into one big stack so you can only see the top one, then peels off a bunch of them to pay for a spell and puts them in second tapped stack?

gently caress people in the new standard that make you babysit them and their painlands. Too many fuckers trying to use them without paying life.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Fingers McLongDong posted:

I used to be a doubter of that card, and now I run 4. If you can do back to back marauders on turns 3 and 4, you've probably won. That deck gained about as much as it lost and it's still really good. Grim haruspex might deserve a maindeck slot too.

Grim hauspex doesn't deserve a maindeck slot just yet. It still a great card out of the sideboard though. Its really lackluster against the heavy green decks and they are everywhere.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Alris posted:

Someone set my mind at ease, Nissa isn't actually worth $50, right? Will she eventually drop back down to something reasonable?

How expensive do nissa, rabble, and the few other rare cards from m15 make a box of m15 valueable enough to open? That is the question that needs to be asked.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BizarroAzrael posted:

Can Deflecting Palm and the like work on burn spells where the damage is redirected to planeswalkers? Or must it be damage that, on resolution, hits you?

What is the point of the redirect rule for non-combat damage to walkers anyway?

The redirection can't be responded to right? Only the initial spell.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Cactrot posted:

It doesn't target, the damage is applied to the source's controller, so you can't redirect it to an opponent's planeswalker. However you can still deflecting palm damage that would be redirected to a planeswalker you control.

Your opponent is going to get the option to push the point of "is my spell resolving" and you are left in the dark if the hot you or the plainswalker.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Jonked posted:

How the hell do you pronounce mutant without a moo sound?

When you say it correctly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Lord Of Texas posted:

I definitely agree with Paulo on the naming of "Jeskai Tempo". Is it called that because aggro with blue must = tempo to some? To me the deck isn't Tempo unless we're calling Zoo "Naya Tempo" now.

How would it be aggro either?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Pinwiz11 posted:

I hate hate HATE that we're getting Limited coverage from SCG this weekend. I want more Standard... :emo:

why is it limited?

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Made it early to my fnm and thought I would trade a little. When you ask you people what they are looking for its basically all the same. Thoughtseize, sarkhan, downfall and all the usual expensive suspects. What shocks me is how often it follows up with "I don't have much with me" and trade binders full of bulks rares and other assorted trash. I guess I admire their boldness, but I can't help to think of the people who get ripped off constantly.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

BaronVonVaderham posted:

I got to live the dream tonight:

First pack of my sealed pool in the "Foiled Again" event tonight at GP Orlando. Sadly my White was REALLY weak except for a Siege Rhino, but my Sultai was epic, so I went BUG with a splash of white for double Sorin and a removal spell. Went pretty well, but I didn't play the final round (hadn't eaten all day, wanted to go eat and relax at my hotel).

Two sorins and a siege rhino means your white was great. Bombs for sure.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Played a modified version of the Jeskai temp deck tonight. Went 4/0 while playing the most fun night of FNM ever. All 4 opponents played actually noteworthy decks and I felt that I had to make decisions that could win or lose the game fairly often.

1st: Jeskai Ascendancy combo deck. He was running the mill version and actually went off turn 4 in game two. The other two games I was on the play and won in my turn 4 with pretty great hands.

2nd: Mardu Aggro: I actually didn't know it was mardu aggro game one and treated it like a mardu midrange and won the slow way. Game two I was not prepared and he crushed me. Game three I drew plenty of hate and won a nail biter. I didn't really think this deck was legit until tonight.

3rd: Mardu Midrange: Didn't have excellent hand all 3 games and mulled 2 of them. Still won 2 out of 3 by a race to the finish. Disdainful stroke mvp.

4th: Mardu Midrange: Mulled game 2 and lost to a stormbreathe monsterize with a untapped land off the top with lethal in my hand. Both game 1 and 3 were close otherwise.

Things I learned.

Crackling Doom is legit. Better than downfall in a lot of situations. Lost and rabble and a sarkhan with 1 loyalty counter to a single doom.

Green can go gently caress itself. Not only does majority of the field play it but the first round had almost a third of the field going past time in green vs green games of chicken. Board states that look like goldfish and nissas everywhere. Boring as gently caress.

Poor mono black aggro. In 156 player there were 2.

Red sligh numbers are starting to grow. Saw an 11 year old pilot it to top 8. He was a rude little poo poo.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

http://www.twitch.tv/atomicempire

Come watch this guy be so nervous he is barely breathing. He also appears to be playing this jeskai combo deck for the first time and is being slow as hell.

It does raise the question of "Do I scoop when my opponents combo goes off, or do I make him spend 10 minutes making him manually do it?" I personally scoop because I play to win and I hate draws. I somewhat get the appeal of being a dick and making them go through the motions because people dislike losing but I just can't make myself do it.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Count Bleck posted:

Is it normal for someone to feel uncomfortable at an IQ?

because everyone here seems really angry

People at IQ's want to win. That means all other decks are bullshit and everybody is topping what they need against them. IQ's draw the worst.

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

toadee posted:

Yeah I'm not digging it up either but a bunch were saying they wouldn't drop below 20

Yeah, several posters were trying to parrot that somehow modern was going to keep the prices high or some idiotic thing. They were only going to stay high if they were used in standard as heavily as shocks were and that just doesn't seem to be the case.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

How many of you use pucatrade? Is this going to be as cool as I want it to be?

• Locked thread