Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Disappointed that the thread title isn't "Rip N Flip all the value, Dark Confidant Edition."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
He should have explored his opponents board harder.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Brad Nelson and crew were running in the sideboard of the sneak/prison/stompy deck because the clock goes 1, 6, 8, dead. It's also popping up online in the stompy deck. for the same reason.
I play this deck. Can you explain the rabble in SB a bit to me?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

AATREK CURES KIDS posted:

More fun is watching someone's terrified reaction when you play Flip and Rip. I thought it was stupid, then I actually played it. Everyone should try it at least once, especially with a new player.
That's the spirit!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Kokusho... coke-a-show

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Sickening posted:

I thought legacy was like 5k?
Three color legacy decks are 2-3k. There are plenty of decks that can be competitive for around 1k, but stuff that plays 12 blue dual lands, fetches, and so on goes over 2k. I'm not sure any deck is 5k... maybe lands?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I feel like standard has been 500-1000 dollar decks since like... Jund days or even earlier.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zoness posted:

Although the format was known for jund, Jund itself rarely hit $500, usually stopping short of the $300 mark or so ($10 fetches, $20 maelstrom pulses, then like $10 ravines and lavaclaws). It was decks that ran Jace and Baneslayer that ran up deck prices, with Mythic clocking in around $700, and I'm fairly sure it actually dropped in price when it turned into Mythic Conscription.

Meanwhile Legacy Goblins was still in the $300-$500 range tops, I believe.
Goblins was more... I was playing it then and $300 maybe have got you ports, wastelands, and fetches. RB goblins for perish, leyline, and warren.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

He has no way to cast the Wayfinder though, and I can't imagine he wants to drop that with Show and Tell. I suspect they're just there, like a Belcher sideboard.
I just spend two minutes trying to figure out why they are there and came up with nothing. Thought I was losing my mind.

E: I'm talking about Wayfinder, Ashen makes sense.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Zoness posted:

Oh man trevor humphries has been such a big deal that people may have overlooked some more juicy cheating from Bertoncheaty! I mean, everyone else has to exile 7 cards to ancestral but not this guy

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jx8gu/alex_bertoncini_may_have_also_cheated_at_scg/

:allears:

I had fun exploring this link.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

KidDynamite posted:

Do you mind posting your list? I'm building affinity but need poo poo in the mean time.
I like Treasure Cruise so much that it made me build a R/U deck in Modern. The card is super powerful.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Oct 23, 2014

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

mcmagic posted:

As someone who just started playing Legacy a few months ago, Stifle and Wasteland are scary as poo poo.
As someone who plays stifle and wasteland... I love when opponents play around them and I don't even have it in my hand. Small things like playing a basic and limiting your turn 1 play by not playing a fetch/dual can have a large impact on the end result.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Treasure Cruise talk: It needs to be banned. I'm 16/19 in modern matches with my new deck playing against Treasure Cruise decks (13 UR Delver, 1 UR Solitaire, and the same UWR Delver guy twice, the others being Zoo, GR Tron and Scapeshift playing Dig.) I used to play against other decks. Now I just beat down on Delver. It's nice because free packs, but it's so boring. I was at the point last night where if I played 1 more Delver deck I was quitting modern until Cruise was banned. Which segues nicely into..
I think it'll even out. Cruise works best in red/blue delver, and it's working against Snap and Grim. I think the fad will die down and you wont see it as much after 1-2 months. RIP is very good right now.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

A big flaming stink posted:

oh I see it was this guy. But wait is his last name Charles or Humphries?
A great way to tell someone is hiding from something is when they have their Facebook set to only show first and middle name.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just wanna say now that this dude is bound to be called "Hagrid."

jassi007 posted:

So on non-cheaty talk, how do you all decide what deck to take to events? There is an IQ coming up next weekend in modern format and the prizes are pretty good.

Prize Payout:
1st - $400, Modern Masters Booster Box, Qualification for a StarCityGames.com Invitational, 6 Points, IQ Playmat, Top 8 Pin
2nd - $200, Modern Master Booster Box, Qualification for a StarCityGames.com Invitational, 5 Points, IQ Playmat, Top 8 Pin
3rd-4th - $100, 1/2 Khans Booster Box, IQ
Playmat, Top 8 Pin
5th-8th - $50, 1/4 Khans Booster Box, IQ
Playmat, Top 8 Pin
9th-12th - 1/4 Khans Booster Box, IQ Playmat
13th-16th - 1/4 Khans Booster Box, Dice Bag

I have 4 decks, affinity, GR Tron, UR Delver, and Burn. I have played affinity the longest, tron 2nd, burn a bit (mostly as a test deck) and delver I just jumped on the treasure cruise bandwagon to see what it is all about. My favorite deck, independant of a meta is Tron. I honestly don't know what I should play, but I really would like to do well in this event.
Play affinity. Knowing your deck and how to play it well is huge. I doubt you have the time to playtest a deck your less familiar with before the event, so just go with what you know.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Molybdenum posted:

Does your LGS charge tax on event entry fees?
We do not "charge tax" on entry fees. Our price includes tax, same with during tourneys when packs are 3 for $10, tax is included on the $10 flat. We still pay the tax, but it seems tax free to the customer.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Magic: The Gathering: Megathread: Christmas Yugioh Edition

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
As a TO, I will give Wizards some credit with reporter. It is not perfect, but it is much better than it use to be.

Then they went and pissed me off again with the new "easy" DCI signup. Fuckers.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

BuckFitches posted:

Just a question to everyone, whats your preferred format? i'm wondering if i should give standard a chance again, seeing i just play edh these days mostly due to money limitations.
EDH and Legacy. Mostly because EDH is something a lot of people from my LGS play and it's easy to plan a group of 4-6 to get together once in a while. As far as Legacy, I run a stores monthly tourney and have options in the area to play once a week if I wanted to. I've dabbled in a bit of Modern as well. I tend to stay away from Standard, because it rotates.

Archenteron posted:

I've seen a few people in this thread talk about the Tiny Leaders format, but it seems Starcity also has noticed the format, at least enough for one guy to write an article about it.
I just started working on a list yesterday. Seems like fun. I've heard a lot of people describe it as "singleton legacy," but I don't think I agree. Is there a following anywhere with decent deck discussion?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

I've posted my Xira Arien and Doran lists before. They're not perfect but considering I'm the only person who doesn't play control, they're quite good at my store. The Doran deck is fairly weak if Doran dies, which is why I threw in a few combos for insurance. The format is a ton of fun. We've gone from 2 people playing to 4 with another 3 or 4 making decks in the last 2 weeks.

I'd say deck discussion would fit in the eternal thread rather than commander. I don't know of any outside places though. It's definitely not quite legacy commander because of the lack of consistency, but it's pretty close. The best part for me is it lets me play a bunch of sweet cards I would love to play in legacy if there weren't cards that are just better. Stuff like Phyrexian Arena and Bonfire (which I don't think I've ever not drawn on turn 3. :argh:)
Thanks for the info. How long do games usually take?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

Usually a little longer than normal legacy games. It depends on the decks, obviously. Playing against my friend with Esper and 4 copies of Swords to Plowshares usually takes longer than Grixis with a bunch of Pyroclasm effects which I don't care about at all.
Good deal. Time to start working on a deck.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Waffleopolis posted:

I want this loving Game Day playmat.

Bring back "champio" mats Wizards!

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
You have to give out FNM promos. You cannot sell them. My store does a trickle down, where it goes to top 4, but if you've won it that month already it goes to the next person with the highest standings who has not won it yet that month.

The FNM cards are not factored into our prize pool, so we like to spread the love with them.

If you think your store is selling them, report them and Wizards will come down hard.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I think Starcitys new event schedule will give TCG more room to grow their events to a larger scale.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Is that the aftermath of being stepped on by a cow

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

AceClown posted:

Well hello new tiny leader....
I'm literally 3/4 done with my deck and now want to start over with her instead....

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

Unban everything, reprint everything, then ban everything.
WILDCARD

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
UNBAN MENTAL MISSTEP IN LEGACY! I want to mental misstep your mental misstep, dawg.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Just caught up on the thread and all I can say is the salt is strong tonight.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
I think I saw 3 or 4 Ugin's opened at the store this weekend. That's between 3 pre-release events and around 120-140 total packs.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

suicidesteve posted:

There were at least 3 opened just at my table. My friend across from me also got a Delta in the same pack as his Ugin.

Unless you mean the fancy one. I know of at least 2 of them that got opened. I don't think they did a very good job of mixing the Ugin packs up. There were a lot of people next to/across from each other getting the same packs. The 2 guys who got Ugins were also across from each other.
I do mean the fancy one.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

GoutPatrol posted:

Is the announcement at midnight or do we need to wait for the wizards website to update monday morning?
I'm pretty sure midnight.

E: I'm a liar and it's 11 AM tomorrow.

Vital Signs fucked around with this message at 06:16 on Jan 19, 2015

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Got $60 for FNM BBE set yesterday. 18 minutes till happy dance.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

To read the announcement, you must fill out this achievement card at the prerelease.
You also must register for a DCI card in the most time consuming way possible, while 10 people wait in line to sign up 2 minutes before start time.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Snacksmaniac posted:

We had the same goddamn thing happen. I'm happy signups are online now but their system is terrible.
It would be great if the online part could just happen on the players end after the tourney, and the store just logged them into their local system.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Looks like we made it! BBE still banned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

Hellsau posted:

Hey what was the verdict on those FOUR binders? Massdrop sent me a message saying they were back on sale, and 150 people have ordered them in a couple hours. Are they actually that good?

Cernunnos posted:

I don't know what the Massdrop price is but they can be pretty cool if you want to display playsets of cards or are just looking for a bigger (but not so much bigger as to be a hassle) binder for trades.

The regular price of $40 is a bit of a turn off to me, much as I'd love to display playsets of Fetches and other stuff easily (mostly garbage but I like it :smith: ).

Snacksmaniac posted:

I have the V1s but I haven't tried the sideloaders. Last run had a bunch of quality control problems.
I just ordered two from eBay, and I think it came to $45 each with shipping. I did get alerted to the massdrop, which ends up costing about $35 each. When you compare that to the price of monster binders, it's not that bad.

My thoughts on the V2's:
Pros:
4 cards in a row, playset... sweeettttt

Cons:
Can't keep cards in sleeves, as it will tear the pocket if you try
Quality isn't at the same level as ultra pro or monster binders, and more similar to sports card binders(cheapish)

I would wait until they get to the third or fourth generation before investing in another one myself. I hear the next gen will have a zipper to close, which seems cool.

• Locked thread