Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Prediction for today: Black/Mardu Aggro cards all spike double or more by the end of the weekend. 4x Pain Seer in top 16.

So it seems like from FNM reports last night that playing deathtouchers in this format actually helps slow down aggressive decks and midrange decks. Pharika might actually be an interesting card in a Rock Control deck.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Reid Duke is on GR Devotion! Dylan Fay is on... Reid Duke. :lol:

Reid cut his hair.

Reid decklist so far: Sarhkan, Voyaging Satyr, Caryatid, Nylea God of the Hunt, Genesis Hydra, Mystic.

Korak fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Sep 27, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Fiend spotted. :siren:

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

mcmagic posted:

What MTG coverage is better than SCG? The answer in none and it's not even close heh.
CFB shows other matches during the breaks so they're slowly overtaking SCG coverage imho. The thing CFB lacks is a good graphics department. SCG's outlay looks clean and CFB's looks cluttered.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Boco_T posted:

If we're going to see boards like this for the next 3 months then In Garruk's Wake is going to become a playable sideboard card.
There's a constellation deck people are working on that actually feels pretty sweet, 2 of garruk's wake in the mainboard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
If you're playing Mantis Rider against a deck with 2/1 and 2/2s, always block and force them to have it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Deflecting Palm wins a game on cam. Get your copies quick!

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AgentSythe posted:

Since the OP is new enough, would mtggoldfish (https://www.mtggoldfish.com) a good link? It's a good way to figure out the online meta.

also something something, explore joke
MTGGoldfish is the go to for a lot of people to see what is working in the online meta.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

KidDynamite posted:

Hey new thread someone please link the 5 proxies on one card site. I need to get my Saito testing on.
This site?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Can you link to saito's new brews?
These are completely untuned and some are just fun ideas. Don't just sleeve one of these up and take it to fnm. Use it as a building point.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

bhsman posted:

What was the Harness by Force win? Did Rabble Red pop up on stream?
Everyone over prepared for Rabble Red and it got destroyed all day. Mono Black Aggro is still a thing.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ascendancy Combo 11th Andrew Baeckstrom StarCityGames.com Standard Open 2014-09-27 Indianapolis

So I guess this means that combo is a thing in standard.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Zorak posted:

Except UW Control was probably the best deck in last Standard? Sphinx's Rev, Detention Sphere, Supreme Verdict, and Aetherling were incredible cards.
It wasn't the best deck but it pushed the format in certain ways that you had to have a gameplan against it. If this R/W/B Control deck becomes the sweeper-heavy deck of the format, then we'll see people probably push more towards siege rhino type cards. If sweepers don't get played as much, then Yisan type decks or tempo will probably take over.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
So there's some talk in control decks about running Perilous Vault since it can deal with EVERYTHING on turn 5 and the mana requirements are incredibly good, even if you're taking two turns off.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Lurchington posted:

I'd really like Fact or Fiction available in modern and think it'd be fine in an 18 month standard. I think it's a skill testing card that doesn't invalidate whole classes of cards like Sphinx' Revelation
We have fact or fiction its called Steam Augury. #thingsWOTCthinks

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Sleep of Bronze posted:

4 mana to 7 mana is a big difference, especially if you want the card draw effect particularly.

Not what the word means. Though it would certainly help to avoid everything that EOTFOFYL meant when Fact or Fiction was last around.
Well people have played Jace's Ingenuity and other pretty meh card draw before. 5 mana sorcery fact of fiction would see some play in standard, but it'd see zero play in modern.

Blue seems like it will be going through a slump in the current standard. I think a few decks are going to mostly be splashing blue for sideboard counter spells and main deck draw(treasure or dig).

quick edit: Speaking of Treasure Cruise, first on cam casting of it from a U/R Delver deck and it hits Bolt, Bolt, Mountain.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Samael posted:

Goons, what is your preferred 5 drop for a Temur Monsters deck- Sarkhan, Stormbreath Dragon, Prognostic Sphinx, Surrak Dragonclaw, Keranos, God of Storms or Nissa Worldwaker?
Surrak in Temur colors. He does a lot of positive things for your other creatures and stacks up against Rhinos, Polukranos, etc. Sarkhan allows you to burn out something that is being problematic or get in for 4 damage. Stormbreath is still great if people are playing white removal or white creatures, but will be bad if people move to other types of removal. In the mirror match Stormbreath is likely to get Tactics'ed. Sphinx is an interesting meta game choice. Could be a great sideboard card if you're up against lots of dragons?

Keranos sounds fun as a garruk replacement, helps draw cards or helps kill opponent or problematic creature. Keranos + Polukranos activation kills just about everything in the format. The only issue is this would be turn 6 at the earliest.

Nissa does amazing things, definitely a 2-of in any green deck.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

AnacondaHL posted:

SCG has officially awarded me $50 for my performance with 4 Monastery Swiftspear registered in my deck. In Legacy.
Seems to be a few Swiftspear decks at the NJ legacy event top tables.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Stephen Mann got a game loss and match loss due to slow play in the semi-finals of the Legacy tournament. Apparently he had got a few warnings throughout the day. Tough break for him since the top 8 isn't timed. I couldn't see what exactly was preventing him from moving on with the game.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

This semifinals match is hilarious.
This finals is hilarious. UR Delver guy gonna cast 2 or more treasure cruises a game.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
That legacy finals was pretty amazing. 8 Khans cards mainboard in the winning deck. Khans is a bigger legacy staple than Theros that printed a few hatecards.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Cernunnos posted:

MODO posts go here just make it obvious you're talking about MODO so no-one thinks you've done something insane.
What do you mean I can't play FNM in just my Garfield underwear?

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Jabor posted:

I'm pretty sure the price will drop a little once people figure out that 4 Sarkhan 0 Stormbreath Dragon isn't the optimal card distribution.
I've been running a 1:1 split in non-control decks. Sarkhan is better if you need to use it as a 5 mana kill spell that also saves you some life if they attack it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Don't buy random loose packs either. Box mapping is a thing.

Angry Grimace posted:

I'm really torn on whether now is a good time to invest in cards or a completely terrible time to invest in cards given that we have no clue what's going to be played at the Pro Tour (which is far more likely to show us what Standard looks like than random SCG events).
The odds of the Pro Tour inventing some completely new archtype are low. Possible but still low. When Theros hit all the decks that ran a little bit under the radar were known by online testers(Mono Black and Blue Devotion.)

I've been toying with the 7 drop Resolute Archangel in white decks as a way to instantly get back up to 20 hp with how painful the early game is. It's one card that I could see pros taking notice of that others haven't.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Angry Grimace posted:

"Known by online testers" isn't what drives card prices, its results in tournaments. In that sense, yes, Pro Tour Theros DID invent Mono-Blue and Mono-Black.
What I'm saying is, the main decks are out there already. There's gonna be tweaking but for the most part we could make a fairly accurate top 40 theros-m15-khans cards that will/have spiked in the next few weeks.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Angry Grimace posted:

I think you are overestimating the card evaluation skills of the Magic playing community at large.

The fact that "the deck" that's going to be dominant in Standard exists on the internet somewhere doesn't mean you can or should be able to accurately predict as such. There's a reason Master of Waves went over $25 on the second weekend in October vs. any time before that.
You said you're torn whether to buy now or later. I'm telling you to figure out what strategies you personally like playing and buy now. The mainboardable cards are definitely known outside of some tweaking of numbers.

There's no overestimating card evaluation when we've had a few tournaments and 2+ weeks of testing proving what works in a vacuum.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

It won't be too good. If it gets popular, the meta will shift and people will add hate over time.

It's definitely a fun deck though whoo boy.
It can be "too good" to WOTC that want modern to be a turn 4 win or later format. Currently the only other deck that inconsistently can turn 2-3 win is the Reanimator deck. quick edit: Ad Nauseam can turn 3 occasionally.

There's a hilarious narset deck out that can turn 1 win but it's inconsistent enough that I wouldn't worry about it outside of 2-mans.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I don't know how viable it is mainboard but an interesting sideboard for decks running Sarkhan would be the Becoming Immense card to possibly 1 shot your opponent. It's not always win more and can be used as pseudo removal if needed, say putting it on a caryatid. Helps your tramplers do ridiculous amounts of damage.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Ashcloud is a solid card and lots of pros were pimping it. I personally think it works as a control finisher since you can wipe the board and get value out of it as a 2/2 until you can instant speed flip it if your opponent tries to kill it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Has anyone thought about a Purphoros-Xenagos PW-Rabblemaster type of deck that abuses the fact that xenagos pw is much better now that there is no mutavault in the format and a lot of people are using 1 for 1 kill spells? Seems to me you can just make a low to the ground aggressive GR deck that consistently puts through the damage needed.

Cactrot posted:

I can't believe they're up to nearly 20 bucks now, I kinda feel like I should dump mine for fetches and play a non-rabblemaster deck.
You should honestly.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Count Bleck posted:

On the subject of Phoenixes, I wonder if Flame-Wreathed Phoenix is going to be any good now that theres less unconditional removal.
One of the pros was saying that some of those 'bad' cards might actually be playable now. I do hope everyone takes another look at Theros block cards and reevaluates them in a format without many 2 mana removal spells.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

quote:

Two random items: how long has it been since a set has had neither dragons nor angels printed in it? And has anyone play tested an Agent of Fates deck yet? It seems with all the cheap removal gone, it gets ridiculously better. Imagine a Sentesen Tactics that annihilates 3 creatures with a single Agent out.
I was thinking about pulling out the UB or BW deck list to try it out. It feels like it'd be great on paper.

JerryLee posted:

It's interesting how the whole bluff value of morph plummets like a rock in Constructed for pretty much exactly the reason you stated. In Limited it's interesting because one morph could be a 3/1 and the other a 4/4 lifelinker so which one are you gonna burn when they're tapped out?

I realize this isn't something that everyone didn't already know, so I guess what I wanted to add is just that it's a shame they didn't do more work to try and make multiple morphs per deck a widespread thing in Constructed too.
People won't know the first week or two, so theoretically you could catch enough people off guard that you win a tournament. Assuming the top players + friends don't scope your deck out.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
Sam Pardee talking about being 16-0 with the deck including winning with two 4-0s makes me think there's a lot more game to it.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

LordSaturn posted:

I see pro testers doing a lot of 'fudging' - saving playtest time by, like, casually Scrying three on every draw step to help induce the situation they want to test. You don't want to just set up sample hands because that doesn't give you a feel for the odds, but fudging by a fixed amount should give you a loose feel for how likely it is that, say, you'll have an answer every time you see threat X.
Well when you goldfish two decks against each other, you do set up every draw as "What would be the absolute best thing I could do right now?" I've also heard of pros that like to give their testing partner a 1 time use trump card that they can use at any time, to see how well your deck does against those type of top deck scenarios where someone runs back to back.

Pro Tour theory: One interesting thing about this current standard is there are actually a ton of sweepers in the format, including ones that only hit your opponent's side of the board. It feels like if you figure out the perfect mix of cards for the early game, the rest of the game you're gonna be 1-for-2+ing so much that no deck can come back from it including control decks. If I kill my opponent's 2-6 wincons in a control match up, they just flat out lose the game plus lose sideboarded games right now. No one is running graveyard recursion.

WB would probably be the nut control deck. Plenty of kill spells that hit stormbreath while also having exiling effects for annoying enchantments. We all know Elspeth completely wins games, and Resolute Archangel can reset your side of the board in such a huge way.

Korak fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Oct 8, 2014

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
As Jeff Hoogland and other people have pointed out, there's 30+ hate cards that see regular play in modern that help fight the jeskai combo deck. People are just going to have to sideboard or mainboard a few more hate cards for the matchup and it'll work itself out. I don't want any more bans in modern.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST

Attorney at Funk posted:

Around a year ago they fired all their commentators besides Cedric Phillips and Patrick Sullivan (and sometimes Patrick Chapin and that guy with the hat that pronounces all the card names wrong). They've also standardized their Open formats, losing the couple Team Limited Opens there were the year before in exchange for a consistent Saturday Standard/Sunday Legacy format. They only recently stopped streamlining their circuit and coverage offerings and are just beginning to expand from the base they built up over the last year (the one that sees their coverage numbers surpass even same-format simultaneous GPs). SCG is also *the* premier source of Legacy coverage, so cutting back on that is giving up one of their greatest advantages.

They could obviously put down the money to add people and cameras to cover the Modern events, and I expect they will, but their priorities don't seem to quite be there yet.
Didn't WOTC just cut a bunch of modern events from the pro tour? Honestly I'm not sure what is going on with any of the productions(CFB/TCG/SCG/ggslive) in regards to Modern.

Modern is much more exciting to show especially to newer players. They really should be pimping it more.

• Locked thread