Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Since the OP is new enough, would mtggoldfish (https://www.mtggoldfish.com) a good link? It's a good way to figure out the online meta.

also something something, explore joke

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

img-timeline.jpg

Guy that is 5-1 at SCG Indy: have you seen a lot of BUG in the room? Brad Nelson is doing okay with it in NJ but I think that deck is super sweet.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Dave Williams, on his opponent casting a Dig Through Time for two after filling his graveyard with See The Unwritten: "Jesus Christ."

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

bhsman posted:

Would someone be awesome and repost that UR counter burn deck from awhile back? TIA

http://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/13152#online

There is also a version that Pat Chapin wrote about a few weeks ago that is the same idea but has no creatures main, lightning strikes, and Master The Way

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Todd Anderson with the robots. gently caress yeah.

edit: just kidding. what the hell is going on here

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

There was a sweet BUG control decklist Karsten Cotter posted that had just 4 Emtpy The Pits as the win condition. I think technically it had 4 Satyr Wayfinders/4 Caryatids/4 Courser, but those nerds aren't going to get there.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

qbert posted:

Yep, Fabiano, known fair-play stickler.

Here is a fun story about G.Fab from the last SCG Open, courtesy of The Source:

quote:

Only other interesting thing was my Round Nine match. I'll paraphrase the dialogue.

GFab: Hi, I'm Gerrard.
Me: Hi, I'm Damon. So, draw?
GFab: No.
Me: No? Uhh...we're first and second seed?
GFab: I know.
Me: So.......
GFab: So let's play.
Me(I know he's on BUG, with like two hate pieces): You got it buddy.(proceed to shuffle up)
Judge(grabs slip): I'll take this. Oh. What's going on?
GFab: We're playing it out.
Judge: Really? Well OK then.(sits down to watch)
Friend of Gerrard: Hey. We're going to get food. You coming?
GFab: We're playing it out.
Friend of Gerrard: Uh....you are playing for seeding? You'll still be in second or third with a draw.
GFab: And what if I want to play through the final?
Friend of Gerrard: Uhh......OK.(sits down to watch)
GFab: High Roll?(rolls a 2)(I roll a 16)
GFab: Oh. Never mind then. Want to draw?
Me(fuming, but exhausted): Sure. Fine.
Judge: What a dick move. Sign the slip.(we do) Let me get your decks so we can check before Top8.
GFab: No. I'm going to eat.
Judge: Uhhh, well we can't wait for you to eat. We want them done as soon as possible.
GFab: You gonna be responsible for it when I leave? No? Then too bad.
Judge: Ok. Wait here. I'll get the Head Judge to discuss this with you.
GFab: Get hosed, nerd. (walks out)[I might have editorialized that last line. But that was the intent of his statement.]

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

YourHumbleMessiah posted:

I believe we just saw the dream. Holy poo poo.

You take the Siege Rhino to the face and knock the top of your deck. That's the play.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

MiddleEastBeast posted:

I totally missed it, what was the play that put Lee in top 8?

On the final turn before he dies to attackers (at one life, turning off any fetches or Mana Confluence), he top decks a Jeskai Ascendancy, then draws into that discard 1, draw 2 red spell, that draws into a Dig Through Time, that draws into the win.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A lot of people would buy that deck, probably

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

En Fuego posted:

You wanna hear some stupid poo poo regarding Rhino? I watched on camera at WA States (Shotgun Lotus did the coverage) where there was a 4c Esper control. The splash? Rhino.

Esper Rhino is what they called it.

WHAT

And it was at like 4-1-1 or 5-0-1 or something crazy when I was watching.

Junk Reanimator 2: Electric Boogaloo

fake edit: wizards please give us a functional Resto Angel reprint

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chill la Chill posted:

If they were in the same colors I would play siege rhino and Quickling together all day for troll value and sweet synergy.

Then again, so would everyone. Unironically. :mad:

Next Level Blue 2

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

Oh good, no one can ever accuse me of netdecking Abzan Midrange since I posted several versions of it in the Brewhaus before Khans was even legal. :v:

It's a Biff situation, like in the hit motion picture Back to the Future 2

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

FYI you have not lived until you have Triton Tactics'd a Daring Thief midcombat. BXCX recommended it and hoo boy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

BXCX posted:

That's a lovely Xenagod you've got going over there, it would be a shame if you didn't trade it for this sweet Singing Bell Strike though :smug:

In seriousness that deck has been really pissing me off. I can never close the door with it. I've been trying the Soul Blade version but that hasn't really gone well either.

I'm probably just bad.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Nehru the Damaja posted:

There's no correct time to link this so here's my favorite deck I've ever seen on an SCG stream:

http://blip.tv/scglive/scgdc-std-rnd3-steven-axtell-vs-carl-endres-5909750

Some loving weirdo BUG deck from Innistrad standard that just has filthy value everywhere. It's hilarious.

Scars/Innistrad standard loving owned

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Buttcrack guy sheds a single tear for Brad Nelson's homage to his art piece

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Man, thank God my stubby sausage fingers lack the dexterity to do any of this fancy stuff with decks. I could use the help though.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

LGD posted:

I really hope it's like Commodore Guff just for maximal trolling

Commodore Guff loving owns buddy, and I won't hear an ill word about him.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

On the Eternal stream, the UR burn guy fireblasts his opponent that is at 15 to get three more cards in the bin for Treasure Cruise. Fair magic card

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

We just went over this Madmarker. On this very loving page.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

A big flaming stink posted:

Combine that with Humphries "amazing" showing at the open where he won both the standard open and modern premier, does this mean we have ought to be suspicious of anyone that does extraordinarily well?

A friend and I were talking about this last weekend. With two pretty high-profile players getting caught doing basically the exact same cheat, it makes one wonder how widespread it is. Someone else brought it up a few posts above, but it would be interesting to see if there are any players that are Top 16'ing tournament after tournament. That exceeds the 60-65% win rate of matches you would expect from the very best players. This is purely anecdotal, but you pretty often at the open series see guys that show up often enough (Reid Duke, BBD, Todd Anderson) scrub out pretty often. I'd be interested to see the final finishes of the guys that grind that series but aren't really good enough to hack it on the pro circuit.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I, like you, am insufferably autistic. A side effect of this condition is that I watch a lot of Opens on stream. He's been a pretty regular fixture on that circuit for a while. That's why there was a fair amount of video evidence people could just go back and find.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Niton posted:

I would be beyond amazed if Reid Duke was cheating in any capacity, not because he's a standup guy (though he certainly is), but because he rose to prominence through Magic Online, where it's a good deal harder to pull off sleight of hand :v:

I agree. He, and the other ones listed, seem (disclaimer: have not actually checked his finishes) to have finishes more consistent with what a pro players win rate would be.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Pinterest Mom posted:

I think Kibler wins because he can just flip his hair, giggle coyly, and leave his opponents flustered. :swoon:

a good user name/post combo

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Orange Fluffy Sheep posted:

The only decks I've seen use this are Rest in Pieces and Enchantress.

Go with Rest in Pieces. It's put up results in the last two years. :shepicide:

There's a modern version (it doesn't have the draw engine, it's really more like Stax) that you could maindeck RIP if you wanted. That deck is actually pretty good in a meta without a lot of tron and UWR control

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Serperoth posted:

"gently caress you Birthing Pod, a deck in a format where I'm not even legal."
Wizards please stop printing cards that do bad things to the decks I like to play

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

For D&T players: How big a deal is being able to Vial stuff in in the matchups that you want that hate bear? Flickerwisp has some obvious applications but I don't know important it is if you have access to that guy.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

blue can do everything, littorally.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

A buddy of mine is rolling with Abzan midrange tomorrow for a 5K. Does anyone have any tips for playing against Green/x Midrange? He's running Fleecemanes maindeck, list is more or less this http://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/249779#online minus the Hornet Queen and with a third Wingmate Roc.

Here's a tip for playing Abzan Midrange: just throw your cards down on the table and roll your face across your deck and playmat like a loving animal. just have someone count out how much mana you can have each turn and then play the card with that CMC

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Deckchat:

Standard: Nothing, but I might put that Jeskai Ascendancy Heroic deck together because it looks silly.

Modern: Scapeshift and U/W Prison. Please U/W Prison online right now, it owns bones.

Legacy: Dredge, Sneak and Show, and Solidarity.

Vintage: Dredge, because it is all I can afford in that format :negative:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

C-Euro posted:

Have you posted that Prison list before? I thought I remembered a coupl people talking about it but wasn't sure.

It gets posted every now and then in the Eternal thread, and was designed by streamer and certified Cool Dude dissolution_of_eternity. I played it in GP Richmond, but lost my win and in for day 2. This is the deck as currently constructed for me.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Tom Ross is pretty good at Magic: the Gathering

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Thankfully, the person this happened to is noted fucker idiot Harry Corvese

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

I Love You! posted:

I feel like I cheated since I basically got 2 shots at the top 8 AND this was my first ever PTQ event (or even ptq qualifier). On top of that the deck i put together in the redraft was completely loving ridiculous (seriously, check this thing out http://www.twitch.tv/tedsternator/b/587115097 ).

This is a cool and good watch because I am not very good at limited and it was interesting hearing you pick up on "tells" from what is getting passed to you which you obviously read correctly given how ridiculous that deck was.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Sickening posted:

This sounds very self important.

In Texas of all places what a shocker

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Chamale posted:

I'm still partial to Goblin Offensive: "They certainly are."

this has always been my favorite

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The vintage super league stream just died right as LSV cast a Notion Thief using a black lotus and a mox in response to a Preordain :negative:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

suicidesteve just a quick reminder that I used those cards you sold me to play with basically Necropotence and turn 2 emrakul people all weekend, thanks a million

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

The last big theft like that I remember happened in Jersey, too. I blame Fabiano.

• Locked thread