Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Lurchington posted:

http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus/

shotgun lotus VRD draft of champions I'M SO EXCITED

This draft is going to be awesome, 8 champions will make for some interesting picks. Like E Woo going Ancestral Recall first pick, and Charles Wong Going Demonic/Mystical Tutor with picks 4/13 YESSSSS :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

ungulateman posted:

GET

HARNESSED

:getin: that game was fantastic

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

PhyrexianLibrarian posted:

Holy poo poo, watch the way this guy is shuffling his opponent's deck at the 1:00 minute mark, he's straight up stacking it.

http://www.twitch.tv/scglive/c/5333218

- Riffle-shuffle the cards
- Be careful not to break up the top 8-10 cards on the top of the deck
- If the bottom card of the deck is a non-land card, flip it under the deck to put it on top.
- Repeat

End result: Opponent has to mulligan and play around mana screw both games, leading to your victory.

Beaten, but you really need to know exactly what to look for to spot it, and once you do it's obvious. He's clearly practiced this.

Yeah, just was coming in here to post this same thing. God its harrowing to watch once you see what's happening. All on camera

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

BJPaskoff posted:

Trevor's a regular at my store. He very rarely plays in my tournaments, because most of what I run is draft; we have another judge who runs the Standard events. I'm sure it's going to be all people are talking about for weeks.
Have you or the other judge ever witnessed any suspicious shuffling before?

Count Bleck posted:

You got a link to that?
From the reddit thread:
http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2jsuue/suspect_shuffling_at_worchester_scg_standard/

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

Yes, anytime something seems fishy, or you realize a mistake was made, even if it's you, call a judge. It's very simple.

e: Sorry, I thought it was clear, personally, yes, I call the judge on myself.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 21:49 on Oct 20, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

that was fantastic

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Boxman posted:

Oh awesome, thanks!

Also, how many rounds can I reasonably expect for an PTQ? Is this the sort of thing where I should be bringing snacks for between rounds? I knew I should for an SCG Open, but those are streamed so I knew what to expect.

Attending actual tournaments is fun. :3:

What Cactrot said, and also get a good night's sleep beforehand. Take it from me, testing until 7 AM's upsides do not outweigh the reality of being braindead in round 7. Good luck!

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

10-1-1 Food Chain, what a wonderful world we are living in :allears:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

TheKingofSprings posted:

What's the best direction to take an equipment EDH deck if I want to sword things really hard and really well? Like, what colours, any really good equipment I should run outside of the 5 swords, Jitte, and Butterskills?

For sure there'd be a shitload of white and that new Commander deck would be a great place to start, but what are the absolute must-use equipment and equipment support cards?

The scariest equipment Commander in my local group/meta is Tajic, Blade of the Legion. The guy who runs it often wins in the first five turns one on one, and does surprisingly well in multiplayer.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

InterrupterJones posted:

I get the idea behind most of those faves, but...Isamaru? Even as a joke?

Isamaru in a deck full of equipment is a fantastic Commander starting point. In 1 v 1, if your opponent stumbles just a bit you just bite their face off.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

That was some really great D&T play from Marc.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

That situation definitely feels bad, but at comp REL, everyone should know what they are getting into, especially with regards to morphs in Khans.

At every Comp REL event I've been to during KTK, the head judge made a very clear announcement at the start regarding morphs. I can't speak to that particular event, but I wouldn't be surprised if a similar announcement was made.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

After that, its Mirage block drafts (which in theory sounds atrocious - the block is NOT set up for drafting unless I am really not recalling it right)

Mirage block is actually the first set where they designed it with limited in mind, so it actually does draft okay.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

It's certainly no Innistrad or Rise of the Eldrazi, but it's no where near as bad as earlier formats are for limited.

e: yeah, I know, it's a low bar. I remember drafting it back at release & the older dudes in the store going crazy over it.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 23:48 on Nov 26, 2014

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

One is, unless you're very much built around it's pretty difficult to cast it for U twice.
It's a very strong card, but UR Delver is really only so common on Modo because it's an order of magnitude cheaper than other decks.

My local LGS's Legacy event has been about 75% U/R Delver in the past month

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Anti-Citizen posted:

It's also cheaper irl, it doesn't shake out in big events where it becomes one of many good decks, because it's the only thing that really plays well against green right now. Would you rather go into a format dependent on Nobel Hierach?

I also play in Modern, with Pod :smithicide:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Isn't like "No JTMS, No Stoneforge, No Top" like the three pillars of modern?

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

must be nice to open a box full of money

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

Ah I think we might also do drafts differently, MTGO lets you take the basic land out the pack. I would take the land over Nexus or lens in the hope that the guy next to me runs it.

I've gotten Ugin's Nexus three times as last pick in a pack. :ohdear:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, I understand what he's saying - Birthing Pod is an entire archetype and not just a randomly over represented card. But I don't think there's much precedent in Modern for banning basically an entire popular deck that isn't doing unfair things (Seething Song) or isn't inherently unfun to play against (Second Sunrise)

I wouldn't have a problem if they banned delver... :getin:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

The Lord of Hats posted:

Tell me, Cernunnos, what do you think of the following pack:

I'm windmill slamming Kessig Malcontents, then slamming my head into the table for drafting AVR :smithicide:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Villainous Wealth Control is fun, although not always effective. When it works it's amazing though, I Villainous Wealth'd a Sidisi Whip deck for 7 and flipped Sagu Mauler, Sagu Mauler, Nighthowler, Sidisi. :getin:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Sick GP Miami playmat, I might have to snag one

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 22:02 on Jan 16, 2015

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

BaronVonVaderham posted:

Where? The banner on their main site is broken, just redirects to their Cardboard Crack book sales page no matter what.

looks like darkspider42's link only shows sometimes, SCG must not be keen on hotlinking. here

e: nothing wrong with that, for me, surfing goblins was enough to need it.

TheTofuShop fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Jan 16, 2015

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Angry Grimace posted:

The biggest problem I see is that the "other creature decks" they keep talking about are Tarmogoyf decks and they have yet to do anything serious to address Tarmogoyf being $200.

No no you see, Goyf's Price tag keeps it legal in the format - there aren't enough of them to actually be a problem! :v:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

LordSaturn posted:

so is it McMagic or Motor City Magic or MC Magic like MC Hammer? Or something else?

It's McMagic, because just like McDonald's it's quick, salty, and pretty much the worst thing for you.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

I guess i should clarify by saying that the judge at a store I used to go to kicked someone out cause their sleeves were creepy naked chicks and said the rules let him do that. the store owner backed him up. I guess I don't really know if he was telling the truth or not, i wasn't exactly sad about him leaving or anything

I worked at an event once where during deck registration a judge noticed a player with nearly naked anime ladies on his sleeves, and brought the guy over to ask him to change his sleeves. The judge had said he didn't think it was appropriate at a Saturday standard tourney with about a dozen kids registered, but this guy wasn't having it. The store owner noticed him getting all a tizzy, and brought over a pack of ultra pros for him, saying he could have them for free.

The dude proceeded to drop his backpack on the ground and begin to go into a profanity laced tirade at the judge and store owner about his rights, America, and freedom of expression. I will never forget the smirk on the judges face when he grabbed his decklist and said, "well, that's definitely an Unsportsmanlike Conduct - Major, you will be disqualified from this tournament and I'm going to have to ask you to leave."

:allears:

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

morning wood posted:

So I've been playing at my LGS for about a year. I bring my son who's almost 4 with me and he just sits next to me and watches cartoons on Netflix. The owners kid is usually in the store too and other people sometimes bring theirs. Today I was playing against someone who said gently caress pretty much every other word. I asked him if he wouldn't mind keeping it clean around my kid and he pretty much ignored me. Am I wrong for asking him to knock it off? I get that he's paying to be there and play too but I don't think its a super unreasonable request and I wouldn't dream of being vulgar around a toddler.

If you're in a sanctioned event, after asking once, feel free to call a judge and explain the situation. There's a chance that the judge is the store owner & doesn't care at all, but most judges I know would give that player a stern warning about how magic is a game for players of many ages and that language isn't appropriate.

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

Swagger Dagger posted:

I found a box full of random speculative poo poo I bought while Worldwake was in standard, and now I'm just wondering who the hell is actually paying 7 bucks for a copy of Basilisk Collar and why I thought I needed 3 playsets of it back then.

Good Commander equipment is often the fastest stuff to move out of my binder, people are super eager for them in my store.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheTofuShop
Aug 28, 2009

mr. mephistopheles posted:

Just went into a LGS to buy some Modern singles and there was a cute girl at the counter who was apparently just getting into Magic and I stood at the singles case about three feet away from them for five minutes while he rattled off the basic rules of Magic and the story of Theros and asked her what color she liked the most without even acknowledging I was there. It was cute how he dumbed things down like saying "friendly colors" instead of "ally colors" for no discernible reason. I ended up ordering a playset of the one card I really wanted off ebay on my phone and walking out. I'm sure I could have said "hey can I get some singles" and he would have helped me, but I am of the belief that I shouldn't have to do much work beyond "being present" to have the opportunity to give my money to a business, and it bothers me that I know he would have helped me, or at least acknowledged that I was standing in his store, if the person just getting into the game was a fat neckbeard with a ponytail. This hobby sometimes.

:allears: please tell me this is copypasta from somewhere...

• Locked thread