Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
God dammit I'm so mad my new job didn't pay me this week so I could order like 20 Narsets at $2.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Sickening posted:

Shots fired!

Oh hey, this kid goes to my (closing) local shop.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah that's basically it. The third act of Apocalypse is Yawgmoth himself personally entering Dominaria as a gigantic cloud of death and reanimating any dead thing it touched (Including the soil. This is why there are clay golems in some Apocalypse art. I know Smash shows Tahngarth smashing through some.) The Apocalypse novel is pretty bad

Yawgmoth is such a strange character. He's not a planeswalker but that was basically one of his ultimate desires and when he couldn't biologically do it he basically surpassed it with technology. Basically everything about Yawgmoth's power is all poo poo he did to himself. He was essentially a gently caress-off powerful techno-lich-god. The reason he's never depicted on card art, I believe, is he's a goofy looking fucker according to the Apocalypse style guide. Imagine a 40-foot-tall Dr. Robotnik that's turned himself inside out. Alternatively the novel says he's just a giant techno dragon now. Again, Apocalypse novel is pretty bad.

Alternatively,

Chorocojo posted:

It really takes a turn once J. Robert King introduced Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker. And then careened directly into the ground when Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker casually mentions he has knowledge of how the story will end and Phyrexia is only defeated because he just erases the parts where they win because he is literally Scott-McGough-but-as-a-planeswalker.

Reminder this is the man who wrote Onslaught block's books.

To be fair he also wrote Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II, which are pretty okay.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Chorocojo posted:

Yeah, human Yawgmoth before he created Phyrexia was just a Thran doctor.

Kamigawa and Legends Cycle II were written by Scott McGough. Fine reads.

J. Robert King wrote Invasion and Onslaught and they were awful. Onslaught far more awful.

EDIT: God, now I'm thinking about The Thran that he wrote and how Yawgmoth drops nukes on Chicago, New Orleans, Washington, Seattle, New York, etc. loving hell.

Oh, my bad, I thought Scott McGough wrote Onslaught too, but now I'm remembering that he wrote Torment.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Man, it's almost like Delve is actually as good as every person in this thread who experienced it in Time Spiral made it out to be.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"Hey I'm home from work, got paid today, let's do a KTK Sea-"

:stare: :stare: :stare:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

DurdleDuck posted:

According to someone on Twitter:

Matteo Orsini Jones ‏@matteoOJ 37m37 minutes ago
@dieplstks he did it because the other guy took basics from the communal pile, then refused to give them back when greg said they were 'his'

Sounds like a nice guy.

Then he goes home and posts about how he "casually" threw them and they "barely touched" the player. What a giant loving tool.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Attorney at Funk posted:

Two notable stories that I've seen:

Martin Juza ‏@Juzam_
@dieplstks when he played against jaklovsky he tried a lot of things that ended in 2 warnings (sorcery as instant, unmorph 2wru with no w/r)

eric froehlich
‏@efropoker
@dieplstks @HAUMPH cast ascendancy with one in play, he snap negates, cheon says triggers, he tries to say he missed it cus negate.

That second one actually got LSV mad

Luis Scott-Vargas @lsv
@bmkibler @Juzam_ @dieplstks I got mad and berated him about trying to cheat @HAUMPH, which is pretty uncharacteristic of me.

Holy poo poo, I would pay to see LSV berating him. What a sight that must have been.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Toshimo posted:

No, but Tarfire did.

And Nameless Inversion. It even got a textless version because of how much it saw play!

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Dude's literally using every basic Magician's shuffle in the book. I'm surprised more people don't get caught doing this, honestly. It's not hard to learn basic Magician shuffles.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I will completely admit to drafting Spin Into Myth when it was bugged on purpose in order to file for reimbursement every time when I was younger. I feel pretty scummy about it now, but I was real bad at drafting and that let me do it the most at the time.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Just played the most tilting round of Magic I have ever played.

I win game 1 really really easily, but see he has two Arrow Storms. Uh oh.
Game 2, I keep a hand with Abzan Charm, two Abzan Guides (of which I have 4), plains, swamp, swamp, and the Outlast guy that costs B. Over 7 turns of surviving, I drew no other lands. Whatever, I can win game 3.
I stabilize early with a 6/6 Abzan Guide thanks to Dragonscale Boon, but then he plays the 5/4 Mardu guy so I lose an favorable attacks, so I just draw some other stuff, play Abzan Guide, etc. By this point I'm at 47 life or something ridiculous like that. Then he plays Butcher of the Horde. "Okay, I have Kill Shot, Abzan Charm, and Murderous Cut" in my deck, I say. 10 turns later, nothing but lands. I have a Parapet and a Mardu Hateblade against his Butcher. I draw Charm, kill it. I end up Parapet'ing him down to 2 life, swing in with Hateblade. He Mardu Charms, makes 2 1/1 guys, kills the hateblade. He attacks with both, I block and parapet him to 1, I go to 5. One card in his hand. Arrow Storm.

:suicide:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

AnacondaHL posted:

Just FYI, the massage therapist is in fact in the VIP section at Eternal Weekend and is pulling up Magic nerds' shirts to give massages.

A braver man/woman than I.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

PleasantDirge posted:

Buy that wizard a goddamn beer!

You really going to skip the cocaine and naked broads party just because dudeski hit his grand slam off your pitch?

I did the Magic Online equivalent by chatting to him about how good of a round it was (it was, it just sucked I ended up on the losing end) after the game.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

So if you're not watching LSV's stream right now, you're missing this:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I don't care how I do in this 8-4, I got to do this game 1 and I love it :allears:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Oct 27, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

If you told 13 year old me reading the Magic books that Freyalise would one day have a card, I would have poo poo myself in joy of putting it in my Kamigawa snakes deck.

He's inside going nuts, even though I know I'll never play the card because I hate EDH.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Yeah, I think Maro said Fateseal is like a 9 or 10 on the Storm scale. It's never coming back.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Applebees posted:

The announcement that they made during the Vintage Super League yesterday was the Magic Online Holiday Festival. It's Vintage events, Holiday Cube drafts, and Flashback queues. There is also a chance to earn Power if you don't have any by going 4-0 in a Legacy Daily to qualify and then being one of the top three finishers without Power in the Vintage Championship.

Welp, guess it's time to bite the bullet an build dredge on MODO.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

"Words aren't racist."
Wow. Just... just wow.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

So why aren't we talking about Bertoncheaty's "Apology"?

He also deleted his twitter, I believe?
"Guys I'm actually really sorry that I got caught I swear I've actually changed now!!!"
He can gently caress himself.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Holy gently caress shut up

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'm started playing in Champions. Me and my three friends all shared buying cards because we were young and that was the easiest way. For Christmas that year we had gotten 6 boxes between us (my friend's families are loaded). That's not even counting the number of tournament packs, fat packs, or random packs we wasted our money on. Eventually we all kinds took a break from buying Magic cards (two quit, one of whom just started playing again with Khans). We sold a whole bunch of our cards for money for other things in that period, and looking as prices of those cards just go up and up and up for various reasons (EDH, modern, etc.) makes me :smith: every time.

So no, you don't have to have gotten rid of Moxen and Duals and FoWs to feel bad about selling your collection. All it takes is a few dozen Sensei's Divining Tops (we had to have had at least 30) or Glimpse of Natures.

Also holy gently caress Champions came out 10 years ago?! Jesus Christ.

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 02:24 on Dec 11, 2014

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I'm under NDA and haven't actually done it yet since I just checked my email, but apparently they are testing the new League system this weekend in the Closed Beta. So I guess that might actually be a thing soon.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

This was my casual turn 3 earlier:

I lost because he Null Rodded me g2 and Smash to Smithereens'd my Double-Striking Flying Myr Battlesphere for exactly lethal. :smith:

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

When I first started playing Magic and used Savannah Lions in my White Weenie deck, seeing Isamaru made my 12 year-old brain explode.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I remember playing on MWS with a reanimator deck during Kamigawa/Ravnica standard and specifically putting in a button that had the comp rules section for only finding 2 cards with Gifts because literally no one believed me.

Lots of rage quits.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Niton posted:

And it's going under the CFB banner, so presumably it'll show up on their main page. That sounds pretty fantastic.

That's pretty awesome.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Email wizards about the FNM promos. I had an issue like that when I was younger and Wizards puts the hammer down HARD on them.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

whydirt posted:

Why do the commons and uncommons have the hologram?

Because they belong to those clans?

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

tirinal posted:

Meh. Conditional 7 drops aren't the greatest thing, but it will be alright in limited.

I'm going to open this every draft and cry.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 02:45 on Jan 9, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Boco_T posted:

Paul Cheon's stream is going wild, he's been donated into doing a 24 hour stream and people have now donated enough to send him to Vancouver in like the last 30 minutes. It's pretty great, Paul Cheon is great. Haumph.

Update: He just broke $1000 in donations, and has had 371 subscribers.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Applebees posted:

Was there something specific that prompted all these people to throw money at him.

Edit: I just watched two people each give him $100.

Nope, just people being chain generous.

Also LSV just opened trade with him to show off his Power and foil Power collection, then cancelled trade.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

I have gone to every pre-release since Betrayers of Kamigawa (minus Shadowmoor-Zendikar block when I stopped for a little). I always manage to do terrible, even though I'm not a bad player by any means.

Got to the pre-release late last night, so the only choices left were Mardu and Sultai, so I obviously went with Mardu. I ended up going 4-0 because my pool was absolutely sick. I had a pre-release promo Mardu Strike-Leader (whoever said before they didn't play him in Mardu is insane, he's absolutely incredible), a normal Mardu Strike-Leader, the 5/4 for 5 that makes them sac down to 2 creatures at the end of turn (which is AWESOME with your opponents Dashing creatures thanks to APNAP order of triggers), and Monastery Mentor.

MVP was Raider's Spoils, though. I managed to draw my single copy in most of the games I played and it just made them completely unfair. Strike-Leader plus Spoils is just broken, I drew 7 extra cards in one of the games I played because of it.

Best match of the whole night was in round 3, game 3. I played an Alabaster Kirin relatively early, and was doing a bit of damage to him when he was at 22. A few turns later he has Ponyback and a few other things out, swings with everything. I forget to block with Kirin, he Trumpet Blasts me for 17, putting me to 4. I keep drawing enough chump blockers to block his things to stop myself from dying (including his 5/5 fish thing), and swinging in every turn for 3 with Kirin (thanks to Spoils). I end up winning at 1 life with every single point of damage done to him coming from Alabaster Kirin. Felt good, man. Thank God I didn't block with it.

I also apparently beat the two best players in the store last night, when I reported my winning for round 3 they were asking me "Wow you beat [x]?!" and asking him "Are you okay, man?" in a "he's-definitely-not-used-to-losing" way, then when I won in round 4 they said something like "Are you going to come to FNM next week so you can destroy our champs again?" :smug:

GonSmithe fucked around with this message at 17:25 on Jan 17, 2015

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Went Jeskai, pulled a very solid pool. Went 4-0 for first place. Got 4 packs in prizes and pulled trash. Life's a roller coaster.

How many people played in your pool that you only got 4 loving packs for going 4-0? Jesus. I went 4-0 and got 12 with around 50~ people.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

MySwan posted:

*raises hand*

I have some questions about let legality.

If I'm making a modern deck, and I want to use Tectonic Edge, can i use the 'Commander 2014 ' edition in it, or do i require the 'Worldwake one'?

And If i wanted to use Treetop Village, do i need the 'Tenth Edition' print or can I use one from the various 'Duel decks'? Can i use the 'Urza's legacy' printing?

You can use any (non-silver/gold bordered) version of any card in any format.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Stoneforge unbanned lol yeah ok

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Deckit posted:

Considering the salt that was in the thread lately, here's some good news.

My girlfriend sent these links to me. The FEELS. :unsmith:

http://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2rfvty/gpdenver_a_success_story_for_my_daughter/

Which led to..

http://imgur.com/gallery/wmQbd

D'aw. Someone submit this to Buzzfeed so I can see "Man takes his 8 year old daughter to a card game tournament. What the makers of the game did next will warm your heart..." appear on my Facebook wall.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Stormageddon posted:

You will find no banned list in Valhalla, my brother.

May you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Angry Grimace posted:

In case someone missed it (several on other forums didn't seem to get it, yes, Alesha is transgender.

Great move on WotC's part. She's a badass.

• Locked thread