Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?

Dr. Stab posted:

I was eagerly awaiting the Magic 2010 thread title.

RIP Core Set thread names.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

It feels like the Sultai decks we saw aren't doing anything powerful enough to warrant how slow they are. They really do need In Garruk's Wake or Empty the Pits or the like. Necropolis Fiend is good, but is it really any better than Polukranos, Stormbreath, or a walker suite?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Empty the Pits in an aggro deck :stare:

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

While it is funny how people flip out over it (and kind of annoying because some podcasts can't get over telling you how much they hate the names), I do hope that they allow more descriptive deck names than COLORS (AGGRO:TEMPO:MIDRANGE:CONTROL), because otherwise deck names are gonna get really, really samey, really really fast.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Yeah, it's gonna be the Ascendancy. Glittering Wish is a neat card with potential niche applications. Ascendancy is really just a combo piece.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

toadee posted:

OK I realize that you can replace Glittering Wish with Idyllic Tutor, but, wouldn't banning Wish greatly restrict your ability to tutor up answers and therefor possibly be the card to get banned? I'm not even saying it's the smartest move but I know Wizards will be loathe to ban a brand new card,

It'd hurt, yeah, but it'd only hit the deck's resiliency, not so much its consistency or explosive potential. Wizards is going to recognize that Jeskai Ascendancy is only playable in this specific deck, whereas Wish can at least theoretically pop up elsewhere.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Cruise is about as close to obvious as you can get. Draw 3 is a known factor. Cantrips and fetch lands are a known factor. I have no idea why people were/are resistant to this card but I've been talking it up everywhere since the spoiler was first posted and it's done EXACTLY what I figured it would, because, you know, draw 3 for 1. We've seen that card before. Really.

I honestly think we're still just scratching the tip of the iceberg with this card, though. If it doesn't eat a ban it's going to get very silly very fast in older formats.

It wasn't that obvious it would be such a force, mostly because delve is tricky to evaluate. People were all thinking that yeah, the first one's great but drawing a second is just awful, when in actuality you can pretty much cast as many as you want.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Gensuki posted:

Oh god... So much shame... I played a swiss draft on mtgo, and I lost my first two matches against Abzan (I was playing Sultai). I blame basically all of my losses on my lands... I never had a starting hand with 3 or more lands

I won the third match because the other worst player-person dropped out...

So I got a polluted Delta, and a pack of khans, which I think means the draft paid for itself?

Nope. MTGO prices (at least, on rares) tends to be pretty deflated in comparison to paper. Delta's just not going to be worth enough to cover the other 2 packs and 2 tickets.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Nehru the Damaja posted:

The UB control is weird as heck because it's so incredibly unsexy, unflashy, and not visibly powerful. I know we're coming off two years of Verdict/Revelation that are coloring that impression but yeah. Not even any walkers. Nothing about it says to me "you can't compete with me in the late game" like I expect from control.

I think that's because we're still underrating Dig Through Time. It's just absurd power for a control deck; Revelation would draw you more cards, but Dig will draw you exactly what you need, more cheaply. It is, in fact, a sexy card.

Deckit posted:

It first blush, yeah. It looks like it has Despise and Thoughtseize for early game hand removal, late gate Disdain and Dissolves for Mid. Resolve a Sphinx and never let it die, I guess.

I want to know what the heck Pearl Lake Ancient comes in against?

It's just the basic finisher. Nothing else really works because they all die to Vault.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

What's the EV of a Khans pack right now, anyways? Still negative, but it's got to be a crazily close margin.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Bleh. I'm no game designer, but I think I'd have tried to incorporate planeswalking in some way shape or form--it sells the setting a whole lot better than 'random battlescape' does. I just don't think a tactical combat game really does a whole lot for the brand. Go for something a little more Arkham Horror (although ideally not hideously complicated and long) in terms of board layout instead of Heroscape.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zemyla posted:

There's fanfic of that, I'm sure.

Elesh Norn resulted in quite a bit of fanfiction for M:tG, actually. It is as horrifying as you'd expect.

She really does have a fantastic visual design, though. Wizards, please print her and her faction on more cards so that I can have a Mono-Machine Orthodoxy deck, tia. (Seriously that Rout from Conspiracy is gorgeous).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Veyrall posted:

I don't know why that image is so table-breakingly massive, but it seems that Chamale is inordinately proud of ripping a piece of cardboard in half.

It's a feat of strength. I mean, Sarkhan is indestructible after all.

But really, it's just kind of... I don't really get why I should care. I mean, congrats on making someone angry somewhere, I guess?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

Anyone else going to be at SCG Minneapolis next weekend?

I might go for Saturday, except that I'm pretty far off of actually having anything for standard.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Aisar posted:

I hoped it was obvious, but I'm not expecting an about-face or an overt rescission of his current policies. I'd be happy if he took a look at the article and stopped being so scared to experiment again. I love Khans, I think it's the best set since Innistrad, and I have a lot of hope for the rest of the block because of how pleased I am, but I know at least KTK was a fairly safe play. People wanted wedges, give them wedges, hit all the appropriate notes with charms and legendary creatures and so on, and trot out morph, now featuring modern design sensibilities. I want more exploration of the potential design space like what was found in TSP.

Can every block really be Time Spiral, though? As much as it'd be nice for design space to be infinite, it really isn't. I think that they can be more experimental, and likely should, but at the same time you can't just try to be as over-the-top as TSP every block. PLC set a precedent that people keep wanting to go back to (we got MECHANIC in COLOR in Planar Chaos, why can't we do it again?), because that one time the boundary was pushed in a direction they liked, and I think the block as a whole is similar, but for complexity. That's not to say we should leave that boundary where it currently is, but more that we remember it more fondly precisely because it was so far beyond the norm. We can put man on the moon, but that doesn't mean we can support him living there (also our space program is currently underfunded but operational, to stretch the obnoxious metaphor further).

Also, I feel like you can't say they've gone full-on conservative when we had DFCs just a couple years ago.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Interestingly this is what they had to say about Khans:

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

e: If he were right why did they drop the novels / ebooks then?

They're in a push to expand the brand to things beyond the card game, so it's not surprising they'd emphasize that. I mean, it's a pretty good setting as an IP, after all, while the card game is only ever going to be a card game (albeit a very popular and successful one). And while people certainly opened packs for the quality of the cards, that's not setting-neutral either--without a stro flavor tie for the wedges, it falls a bit flat. Remember how hype the thread was for Jeskai when all we had was colors and art? Or Savage Punch, for that matter.

The novels and ebooks were cancelled because they were poorly-selling garbage that they had to withhold information from elsewhere to support. They dumped them in favor of telling the story where most players see it--the cards themselves and Uncharted Realms.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

There is a difference between appreciating the mythology or knowing it, and caring about it. I don't think I have met a single person that actually cares about the magic story.

I feel like this belief stems from surveys and questions such as "How well did you like the story, theme, and atmosphere of the Innistraad block on a scale of 1-5" To which I would answer 5, even though that was very small factor in my enjoyment of the set.

Story is important, but its definitely a secondary concern to things like gameplay. Its not something most players care about either, just something that adds value to an already enjoyable game.

EDIT: I would also argue that more people care about flavor than story. New Phyrexia is a good example of this. People were excited for the return not because that actually gave 2 shits about the plot and how things panned out, but because the plane and the Phyrexians had cool flavor.

*raises hand*

While you're right that it's easy to conflate flavor and story (and they are intertwined to a fair degree), story definitely matters. I mean, to use your own example of New Phyrexia, they originally had it planned that it would start with showing you New Phyrexia, and then later you find out that it was Mirrodin all along. And I'm sure that block would have been fine, but it misses the compelling part of the story (the Phyrexians actually taking over). And they've been getting more effective about actually getting that story told through the cards. I doubt you could tell me anything about the story of Ravnica just by looking at the cards, but RTR (while a mediocre story), at least gets the gist of what's happening across. I imagine most people know that Heliod killed Elspeth, and while they're unlikely to be hugely invested in either character, that still deepens their enjoyment of the game as whole.

And while people don't play Magic just for the story and flavor, I do think it's a larger factor in people's enjoyment of the game than they tend to realize. It spices things up a lot.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Babylon Astronaut posted:

That's all well and good, and I'm sure the story is part of the appeal for a bunch of people, probably the kids more so than the adults which is cool, but the quote is insane.

It enforces the belief that Hasbro has no idea what they have in WotC.

Sure they do. They've got a marketable IP that they wholly own. Sure, their subsidiary happens to run a card game attached to it, and a popular one at that, but that isn't something that Hasbro itself needs to be concerned with, because WotC manages that perfectly fine on their own. No, Hasbro does things like spin off a board game, or haggle with Hollywood to get a movie made, because that's closer to their expertise. I mean, really, besides throwing money at making MTGO better, there isn't a lot they can do to expand or influence the card game itself. So to them, the area they *can* spread further (story and setting) is what they primarily care about, and they'll let the money machine that is the game just keep chugging along.

Carrasco posted:

This is not a good example for your point, though, since it very deliberately was not shown on the cards. (Elspeth killing Xenagos was, but not Heliod killing Elspeth.)

That's true, but more people still know about that than, say, Venser's death. They're clearly getting better at getting that knowledge out there.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

xeose4 posted:

Wow, she is actually the perfect colour combination too. :swoon:

Captivating vampire looks awesome.

Is there a werewolf equivalent of Olivia, by any chance?

Nope. The werewolf mechanic is really specific, so it'd end up feeling pretty wonky. You do get Mayor of Avabruck and Immerwolf to buff your dudes, though.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

What was said was that we knew the character but 'maybe' didn't know the name. I think it's the mask planeswalker from DotP that they did an Uncharted Realms for.

P. Sure that dude got Garruked.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Myriad Truths posted:

Sure, but Teferi isn't a planeswalker anymore either. I don't know the lore well enough to say if maybe Serra isn't a better fit for the white walker, or the Lithomancer, but he comes to mind as a solid possibility, since they did a lengthy bio on him and he was on a lot of the Magic 2015 promo materials.

That's a good point, I'll admit.

What I'm really excited for is the new planeswalker from a plane we've already seen. That's got to be Lorwyn, right? It's a plane they're pretty much guaranteed not to revisit, but that they'd do representation for in the same way that Tamiyo is our representative for Kamigawa. Speaking of which, she must have a nice thing going now that Kamigawa is basically guaranteed never to have anything disastrous happen again because we aren't getting a new block there. She can always just go home and relax if she feels like it. Everyone else's homes are either wrecked (Mirrodin, Zendikar, Dominaria, Alara) or not the greatest place in the first place (Innistrad, Tarkir).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Kamigawa (Tamiyo) - recovering from the Kami War under the Sisters' supervision

That's actually pretty ancient history--at the end of the Kami War, Toshiro Umezawa gets blasted off of the plane and into Dominaria. His descendant Tetsuo Umezawa came about 400 years afterwards and fought Nicol Bolas, and *that* is hundreds of years ago too. I'm pretty sure Kamigawa is pretty well recovered in the ensuing millennium.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Xeom posted:

I nearly fell for that.

When people do cube drafts how do they usually go about making the 'packs' to play with?

A shitload of shuffling and then I just count out all the packs we'll need, and get them set aside.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Entropic posted:

Just show the the Serra planeswalker card already. :f5:

We aren't getting one. We get 3 old walkers, and we've seen them all.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Huh, so Ob Nixilis was middle-aged when his spark ignited, that's kind of neat (also we'll probably never see his home plane ever). Although I have to say, while it's very good for a demon, 'Ob Nixilis' sounds like a really ridiculous name for a human to have.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Fingers McLongDong posted:

Exactly. I see cool cards like Feldon and get all excited before remembering that it's only playable in legacy or commander and realize I will never get to use said cool cards.

Build a cuuuuuuuuuube

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Flamekin Village

As Flamekin Village enters the battlefield, you may reveal an Elemental card from your hand. If you don't, ~ enters the battlefield tapped.

T: Add R to your mana pool.
R,T: Target creature gains haste until end of turn.

Come oooooooon Flamekin walker. Preferably with a Sneak Attack ability.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

The March Hare posted:

If it isn't Serra, Planeswalker I'm going to be Mad as Heck.

You may as well get your mad out of the way then, because it's gonna be Nahiri.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Man, I just wish he had better art. As it is it's just really busy.

Okay I also wish it was a Flamekin walker but I'll take finally having a goblin walker.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Wadjamaloo posted:

Am I missing something here?

Not last as in "most recent", last as in "they aren't doing block constructed anymore so that was the last one"

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Serperoth posted:

And yet philosophers still can fight a bear on even terms, and at least take the bear down with them.

Bears are more akin to a natural disaster on Tarkir; purely destructive, unconcerned by the survival of the individual so long as it widens the ecological niche for the species as a whole. Once bears have a true foothold on the plane, they will rapidly become the dominant life form. Innistrad is doomed once the bears work out how to consistently work in pairs (with a backup bear to sweep in once something's died).

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Zoness posted:

The Third Set to End all Third Sets!

Remember the other great third sets, like the last third set with Dragon in its name and no dragons? The last third set featuring a tribe that appeals to casual players? What about the last time a third set was about dragons and had a dragon's head for the set symbol?

That's some tough precedents to live up to!

No but really I hope the set is interesting.

I really like that the set symbol is the same outline as Khans, but it's a dragon head this time, that's a fun little touch.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Count Bleck posted:

Scrounge around in a Walmart or a Target first.

You can actually get acceptable prices for precons there.

About a month or two ago I just straight-up found a Mind Seize at target, because there were some precon a stocked in the toy section as well as the card wall.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I really like that, it's probably one of my favorite Uncharted Realms. It's interesting, even though I'd say he's pretty clearly mono-black the whole way through, he originally had at least very vaguely noble intentions--put an end to the cycle of destruction that was eating his home plane. I feel like that's a nice example of "Black can still do good things, but in its own way".

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Allstone posted:

Nah, the original nobility being mentioned here is before the part where he allows a dark being to kill everyone - the original nobility is the part where he's aware that his world has a propensity to cyclic war that he believes he can stop by creating a unified ruling power.

Yeah, this is it. *After* that he just goes "gently caress it, what I can't have I will burn to goddamn ashes and salt the earth because there's plenty of worlds out there". And from what we see of this little snapshot of him, he's very... fair, in his own way. He doesn't hold it against you that you're in it for yourself--when his army is broken and most of his soldiers surrender rather than die, his response is "Yeah, no, I'd do the same thing if I were you, the guys fighting to the end are dumbasses". Something about the way he's written just vaguely reminds me of Commander Vimes from Discworld, and I'm not sure just what it is.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

I Love You! posted:

Ahahaha wrecked Todd Anderson in the finals of the makeup PTQ and he runs to twitter and lies about how he lost, rulessssss

On the plus side I'm on the pro tour

Well hey, congrats! How did the games actually go?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Can we... not have Gamergate get mixed up in the M:tG thread? I won't say that the argument is stupid or anything, and it is something I do have opinions on, but there really is a time and a place and this is not the place to argue over it.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Now, this is probably going to come to absolutely nothing, or to something I get started on and then flake out on like the giant loser I am, but... I've been going over some of the CYOA threads in the Game Room, and thinking a bit about the setting... would people be at all interested in a CYOA set on one of the planes?

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

forbidden lesbian posted:

everyone sounds like anime girls to me, op.

How kawaii am I, scale of 1-10

Ramos posted:

YES!

That would be pretty fantastic, particularly since Magic has all sorts of interesting settings.

Well, I sure hope you like Lorwyn?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Don't make the theme strictly Infect, make it infect blended with Wither. Necroskitter and the like, there's a lot of Shadowmoor block cards that care about the counters.

• Locked thread