Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I bought eight the other day. I knew I wanted a set for a deck, but they were cheap enough to get a spare set JUST in case I was right about it being the real deal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

TheKingofSprings posted:

Because all it takes is resolving one Sundering Titan to utterly wreck your opponent.

At Modern last week someone had apparently never seen Sundering Titan before. The room got really quiet while he and his opponent had their back and forth going over what the card did. I wish I could remember exactly what was said but it was really comical. Sundering Titan is a dick.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

C-Euro posted:

I'm running 3 Rabblemasters in my Modern Goblins list until they reprint Goblin Piledriver (shut up and let me dream OK)

Also, when did Stoke the Flames become a $4 card? And should I pick up a playset if I want to play red this Standard season?

SCG's been sold out since last week. There are copies on TCGPlayer, but not at any local shops near me or SCG (wanted to order from them to pick up at the GP to guarantee I get them).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Bought my first booster box since Modern Masters. Yes, I'm opening it....but to practice for Orlando! Running sealed against my girlfriend. Plus I won a buttload of store credit recently.

I didn't get to even do a prerelease so I figured it might be a good idea to actually play with some Khans cards before the event rather than just reading the set-list and theorizing about it. I've been looking at sealed pool generators online, but it's not quite the same as actually turning things sideways and seeing how it turns out.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

sarmhan posted:

Sealed pool generators don't replicate the semi-randomness of magic packs since they don't have print runs. Practicing the art of organizing and forming a deck from a pool in person is also worthwhile practice in of itself.

Yeah that was the idea. Sealed is by far my worst format according to my stats....I think my win% is something like 35-40 or something godawful like that. Compare that to 59% in Modern or even 48% in Draft. This might be the first GP where I have no expectations for the main event and plan to destroy as many side events as I can. Mostly it's a chance to hang out with my old group one more time and have fun.

EDIT: First pool I cracked gave me a Windswept Heath and two decent possibilities to build....I think Sultai Delve is the stronger of the two with Rakshasa Vizier, Abominaion of Gudul, and 6 Delve cards including Treasure Cruise with plenty of graveyard enablers. The other is Jeskai with three Act of Treason and lots of combat tricks, a Mantis Rider. Both have lots of fixing.

I'm liking this set already. It's a lot twistier than Theros was, many more variables to take into account when you're pretty much always going multicolor. Gone are the days of drafting mono red in Theros....gently caress that was a boring format.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Oct 1, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Balon posted:

So I decided to update my cube with some of the great 3-color stuff from Khans so I bought a box. Wizard's Towered with 9 packs then went home and opened the rest.

Final pack in the box, just when I think it was decent for value I pull this:

Welp, I guess that's value city.

I ran through that box practicing sealed and came across this in a pack:

Very next pack was a Wooded Foothills, and I got another Bloodstained Mire and a Windswept Heath elsewhere in the box.

And yet I opened ONE Hordeling Outburst :psyduck: (I need a set for Mardu Tokens)

It's like Stoke the Flames being sold out all over. Why are there some uncommons that are basically mythics this year?

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
EDIT: Huh, I'm an idiot, I was wondering why this didn't show up in the Brewhaus thread, I assumed the airport wifi hosed up. My bad.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 17:45 on Oct 2, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Samael posted:

Holy crap, I just found out the guy who does some of my favourite art (Archangel of thune, for example, let's not talk about Triumph of Ferocity) James Ryman lives actually down the road from me. Time to get him to sign my tajic for my commander deck. :dance:

Do you....do you just walk up to the dude's door and knock with cards in hand or something :ohdear:

What's the protocol since it's not like 1960 where everyone actually knows their neighbors....

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I got to live the dream tonight:

First pack of my sealed pool in the "Foiled Again" event tonight at GP Orlando. Sadly my White was REALLY weak except for a Siege Rhino, but my Sultai was epic, so I went BUG with a splash of white for double Sorin and a removal spell. Went pretty well, but I didn't play the final round (hadn't eaten all day, wanted to go eat and relax at my hotel).

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
GP Orlando Trip Report:

This limited format is incredibly fun. Much, much more enjoyable than Theros was.

I kicked rear end on Friday and cracked that double Sorin pack, which was definitely the high point of the weekend. Found out I did in fact have a bye, which made my VIP SO worth it when I was able to sleep in until 10:15.

I started off 5-0, but finished 6-3 thanks to some really poorly timed mulligans. It was eerily similar to how I was knocked out in GP Miami last year: I have lethal on board for next turn, opponent topdecks an X burn spell for exact lethal damage (in Miami it was back to back Miracle Bonfire of the Damned for 6 then 7 when I was at 13). poo poo happens, but two of my losses were to absolutely horrible human beings. I got to make my first judge call for harassment when playing against this obnoxious hippie who would not shut up when I was doing some really complicated combat math (we each had like 12 creatures and were both X-2 at the time, and I wasn't playing at an unreasonable pace since each turn was literally draw, play creature, calculate damage, can't get there and would die on the swing back, pass).

Losses suck, but it's harder to take a loss from a complete douchebag than it is from a friendly opponent you were chatting with all match.

I got sick from the overpriced hot dog I ate so was up really late, decided to skip the big Sealed on Sunday. I showed up later and just did a handful of on-demand Standard pods. Didn't win any of them, but got in some good games to really test my new decks. I did much better with Legacy. I got to play with everyone from my old play group all weekend, too, so that was pleasant.

I counted at least 73 unique players in fedoras. And two kilts. One kilt was wearing a fedora. There was also janitor who looked like he was doing a bad Wolverine cosplay. There actually WAS a girl randomly cosplaying as Link for some reason and clearly basking in the attention she got.

I'm now sitting in the Orlando airport, bored because my flight home has been delayed for half a day, and experiencing the wonderful onset of the flu. loving Magic players, stay home if you're sick instead of spreading your plague to me. There was also a huge B.O. problem at this event. I asked a judge about one guy, and he basically shrugged and said he wasn't allowed to do anything because it might hurt the guy's feelings. WOTC really needs to come up with some sort of official personal hygiene policy, because there's definitely a line that needs to be drawn. You would not be served in a restaurant if you were dressed like and smelled like this person.

Counter point: Most magic players do seem to be decent human beings, at least outside of matches. I had two friends lose expensive decks only to have them returned with nothing missing at the lost and found. Same for my Hyrule hockey jersey, which I'm VERY surprised some nerd didn't just walk off with given how many compliment it and ask where they can get one when I put it on. Almost makes up for terrible behavior in matches and the general lack of social awareness otherwise.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Snacksmaniac posted:

Oh right. GP Miami Orlando is over. Time to start scouring eBay for a playmat.

And I may have a spare, if I do I'll be posting it tomorrow.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I'm having so much fun with a Reanimator brew abusing the hell out of Ashen Rider, Siege Rhino, and Rescue from the Underworld. It's surprisingly consistent, especially with Nyx Weaver around.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I want to share the most satisfying play I've gotten to make in my MTG tenure.

I was in the Legacy Challenge last Friday playing Miracles against BUG Delver Game 1. Turn 3 I am tapped down for all but one land, having used one mana for an upkeep Top activation (needed to draw land) and then a main phase Ponder for the shuffle, pass turn.

Opponent windmills a Tropical Island and slams a True-Name Nemesis, having seen my hand with a Thoughtseize so he knew all but one card in my hand and knowing I had no Force of Will.

I had a few options, but I had a Terminus and Brainstorm in hand, so the plan was to cast the latter, put Terminus back second from the top, then draw it off the Top on his next turn.

Well, he thought I was digging for the Force, so after some hesitation, he returned the Trop to his hand to cast Daze targeting Brainstorm. My reaction: :dance:

Cast Misdirection discarding one of the two Counterbalance in hand. Change target of Daze to his own True-Name Nemesis. It is countered, my Brainstorm resolves, and he loses a land drop from the Daze to boot.

I put that one Misdirection into the main mostly because of Abrupt Decay (I can't counter it, but I can Misdirect it to their own Jitte or Hierarch or Delver or even their own TNN since THEY control the spell doing the targeting), but drat that was insane value for zero mana.

My opponent was initially confused and needed clarification on Misdirection to confirm what I did was Kosher. It was, and he extended the hand and said, "poo poo, I can't even be mad, that was loving nuts, dude. Well played."

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

To be fair, his opponent arguably misplayed by FoWing the FoF instead of the Misdirection, but he probably didn't see how the Misdirection was being resolved, since the most obvious interaction would be to redirect the FoW to Misdirection, which is normally how Misdirection counters a spell.

This and redirecting Ancestral are basically the nut high of Misdirection.

Yeah I got to redirect three different Ancestral Visions in the event (I have more in the side for that matchup). It was awesome.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Another nugget from the GP I forgot about until I went to clean out my phone just now:

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

rabidsquid posted:

Run your own Caryatid, Bile Blight it :unsmigghh:

I've done this for a win. One attacking creature, one Caryatid on my side, two Caryatids on opponent's side, he's at 2 life. Bile Blight my own Caryatid, eliminates his two, swing for lethal.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

En Fuego posted:

I did terribly at Washington States yesterday, but I am still really excited for Standard. WHAT?

I played against 4 different decks (well one was a mirror), while running Abzan. There's so many ways to make the deck, and it makes me stoked to find the right combo that fits what I want to do and still have fun.

Lots of silly things happening in Standard now, and it's pretty fun, especially when this is a smaller set format right now.

I agree. I may not care for many of the decks out there yet, but on MTGO I think I've only seen two or three duplicates all weekend. Contrast this with a year ago when all you would see right now is mono black and mono blue, all identical card for card.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

AgentSythe posted:

Junk Reanimator 2: Electric Boogaloo

You joke, but this is actually a playable deck I've been running since GP Orlando: http://deckbox.org/sets/799748

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

qbert posted:

That's why I loved Mono-U so much last Standard. It wasn't just a goodstuff deck, it was basically two potentially insane cards and the rest was just about maximizing their potential. The deck felt like the "underdog sports team" deck of Standard. Would love to see another synergy style deck emerge this season.

I think something like Junk Aristocrats is a better example of a deck where each individual card is incredibly weak, but when put together with a dash of pilot skill they do amazing things.

What's missing is text on creatures that cares about other creatures. Until Rhino we haven't even had many relevant ETB triggers around, except maybe Gray Merchant. There just aren't any abilities that offer much opportunity for synergy anymore, the cards are designed to be stand-alone lately. The best we have that I can see are those creatures that grant abilities for counters, we just don't have creatures like Blood Artist or Restoration Angel anymore.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
I want to know what they're doing to MTGO. After the last update, this program is unplayable on my laptop and lags like gently caress all on my desktop....with a 4.4 GHz processor and 32 GB of RAM. The laptop isn't exactly slacking at 2.4 GHz and 8GB.... Every weekend I'm streaming Netflix in full HD and playing poo poo in multiplayer like Civ 5 or StarCraft with maxed out graphics. No lag. Want to draft? It'll take a full minute to cast each spell :psyduck:

I just want to understand how you gently caress this up so badly :negative: It was fine a week ago, what did you do?!

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Wadjamaloo posted:

Who writes these things?

The same people who have to publish a list of known bugs to warn players not to do those things because they can't be bothered to fix them.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Gyshall posted:

The only thing MTGO has going for it is the ability to draft in your pajamas. while drinking.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Playing sealed on MTGO is dumb, but thanks to Orlando I've gotten REALLY good at this format, so I've been turning a hefty profit doing these things.....

Then I crack this in a pool...... Foil Ashcloud Phoenix, Foil Rattleclaw Mystic, Dig Through Time, Foil Dig Through Time. Yay freerolls!

EDIT: And it turns out my Temur cards are bonkers, so I get to play all of the above.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 15, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
The MTGO design flaws continue!

If you play a foil Morph creature face down, the resulting morph on the battlefield is foiled. So if your opponent sees you have a foil morph game 1, they can now tell exactly which creature that is if you play it again in subsequent games.

Great design, guys.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

endlessmonotony posted:

They explicitly stated your opponent won't see foil morphs. Or was this wrong?

This is apparently wrong.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Countered a Sarkhan with a Stubborn Denial just now. The board was clogged except for my Ashcloud Phoenix charging over the top. He thought he just ripped the game-winning card. He was not pleased.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sickening posted:

A counterspell was used folks. The plays.

Not particularly skillful, but gently caress it feels good and his rage was amusing.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Harmonica posted:

Your opponents don't see your face-down morphs cards as foiled. Your morphs also return to a randomised position if they are bounced.

edit: quoted wrong post.

Except they hosed it up. My opponent commented on my playing my Rattleclaw Mystic face down and he saw it as foiled.

On a somewhat related note, Wizards should print actual foil tokens some time.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

• The collection window is loving awful. It's amazingly slow, the filters are clunky and do unexpected/confusing things with certain cards.

Their "Binder" system is the stupidest thing ever. I dread any time I accidentally make too many of a card tradeable, as there is currently no way to search your trade binder. You have to manually scroll (which is incredibly laggy) and find it to undo the mistake. Not having a search function seems like a really fundamental oversight.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

So uh what's happening here? Did Wizards' data center explode or something? MTGO's been down for a while now, too.

By data center you mean the two PCs running Windows 98 in a closet they use to run this thing?

Curious what happened though. I haven't gotten to play much this week, and I was really looking forward to playing all day today now that my to-do list is empty and my girlfriend isn't home :(

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

stinkles1112 posted:

Mine has him for 50, Sorin at 30, the temples at 6.99 each and a slew of other ridiculously over priced singles, mantis riders at 10, rabble masters at 22, etc. I don't know how they expect to compete with online prices.

I packed a Sorin the other day and asked how much cash I could get for it. He offered me seven dollars.

Check the store's own online prices. I've posted here before about a store I used to go to that jacked up in-store prices and then had the same cards online for much much cheaper. Curious if this is another case of that.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
Who the gently caress doesn't know the movie "The Blob" but knows the obscure villain "The Blob" from The X-Men....

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Toshimo posted:

You are showing your age. The Blob (film) was a disastrous 1988 remake of a 1958 film. The Blob (X-men) is very much a prominent X-men villain who was regularly in the 90's X-men cartoon, the newer X-men cartoons, the live-action film X-men Origins: Wolverine, and has been in most X-men video games. If you were born after 1980, and are in the M:tG demographic, you probably are 100x more familiar with the comic version than the movie.

Yup, had no idea he was in the cartoon version and somehow erased the awful Wolverine movie from my mind. Only Blob I knew was from the original X-Men comics and I think he comes back once or twice up through the 70s and maybe early 80s. Believe it or not, though, I had never read an X-Men comic before last month, I found a handy reader app for my tablet and have been plowing through the series.

I still think it's weird for people to not know the movie, though.

EDIT: Jesus, Magus of the Moat wins a game against Elves.

BaronVonVaderham fucked around with this message at 19:38 on Oct 19, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boxman posted:

I liked how quickly game one of this Elves vs. Reanimator match went down. T1 fetchland, entomb for Norn. T2 Animate dead, kiling what is otherwise a very good looking board of dryad arbor, deathrite shaman, and wirewood symbiote. Elves player extends the hand.

EDIT: And in game two, he reanimates his opponent's Scooze because he's too low on life to renimate anything in his own 'yard. Incredible.

I don't see how game 1 is a good game unless you have some irrational hatred of Elves? I think it's boring when the Reanimator player just has the nut draw opener.

The Scooze play was good, and that was a really interesting game.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

mcmagic posted:

Lol look at this rear end in a top hat on the GPLA stream with a SARS mask.

Given how incredibly ill I became after going to GP Orlando, I wish I had worn one. If you're sick, stay home, I always catch the plague from some idiot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Boxman posted:

I get a kick out of how ridiculous the nut draw against Elves is. Like, the nut draw against most decks still makes you think "why play anything else," but most decks at least can cast removal against your Griselbrand or Norn or whatever. Elves, if I know the deck right, literally cannot win.

Meanwhile, at the GP, Kibler steals a win by being able to Stubborn Denial a Stoke because the other guy tapped all his land rather than convoking. Crazy.

I play Elves, and yeah....seeing a turn 1 Entomb is not a good feeling. There's literally nothing you can do game 1 except hope they are waiting for a turn 3 Show&Tell and you can go off turn 2. I've won through a few odd scenarios, discarding a Griselbrand to hand size to reanimate it comes to mind. Basically if they can't get a turn 2 Norn you have a shot IF you can go off and are on the play. If you lose the die roll you're basically hosed.

The other side of the coin is that there are many matchups that are the exact reverse. Game 1 against Merfolk or Goblins I just laugh.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Zoness posted:

Although I'm not sure why he's looking at the top card if he knew he was thumbing it over, I guess it's to make sure he took the right card from the bottom?

I think that one actually slipped a little.

This reminds me of something that happened at GP Orlando. A friend from my old store lost his deck after round 3, but fortunately someone turned it in at the lost and found. But they were kind of annoying about giving it back even after he named a handful of cards in the deck (it's limited, he doesn't know the set that well...). Then he remembered he slipped an M15 card with his DCI number written on it into the box. Their response was apparently, "What's the DCI number?" (isn't that why he wrote it down on a card?...)

He finally got the deck back and rushed to his seat but was a little late. His opponent was fine with it but wanted to call a judge to get a time extension. Result? Game loss for tardiness. He didn't think to appeal this, which he really should have since the lost and found could back him up that he was stuck there trying to get his poo poo back.

They play out the round and he wins game 2. Game 3 goes horribly, though, and there is no way he's going to win the match. So as a joke, he sneaks a Cheatyface into play. His opponent finally notices about a turn later and just laughs about it....but a judge just happened to be walking by and saw it, disqualified him from the tournament.

I don't think anyone's in the right here. The judge was overreacting (same judge that gave him the game loss), but my friend is a complete dumbass for doing this in the first place. He doesn't care, he was going to drop anyway, but...now you have a DQ on your record, idiot.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Entropic posted:

Why in god's name does MTGO live in %user%\AppData\Local instead of in Program Files like a respectable application? And is it normal for it to use over a gig of memory just firing up and going straight into a draft?

You're right, it makes no loving sense.

I get that it's old software they're holding together with chewing gum and dental floss, but somehow they're making it worse with each successive update. I used to really enjoy sitting on the sofa plowing through the week's DVR recordings while drafting or playing some Legacy; now this software is unplayable on my rather high end laptop, it takes over 5 seconds to play a land and I disconnect constantly. It's barely playable on my gaming tower, but I don't know how long that will last, they could force me to have to quit with any upcoming patch.

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

suicidesteve posted:

I'm playing this pile.

I've gone up from 2 to 3 RiP and not regretted it for a second. It's nice because once they see what I'm doing, they usually Bolt my turn 1 creature and let me resolve RiP. I also added a Spirit of the Labyrinth and Ethersworn Canonist to my side, which I'll probably end up taking out because I've seen the Spirit exactly 0 times and the Canonist just got bounced by Solitaire before it went off. Plus I added 2x Electrickery. For value.

Whoa, this is almost card for card a deck that one of the weirder players at my old store always played (he always played strange decks and used little vinyl Zoidberg figures for tokens....which I was totally fine with, it was actually kind of awesome....but he was that guy who played Battle of Wits). I had never seen it anywhere else.

Not a single night of Modern passed without having to overhear him explain Norin to someone, no one understood the deck. I was probably the only one in the room who had no fear of it, since I play Melira Pod and what's another 30 damage to an infinite combo. Everyone else had a ton of Scapeshift and stuff that REALLY struggles when you have a ton of life gain. The biggest douchebag at the store played Scapeshift, so Alex and Norin were my heroes because they made him bitch and moan so much (and always beat him).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!
gently caress these changes to MTGO.

Good idea: It's hard to target things in graveyards, let's make it so you can pop out the graveyard and make it bigger!

How they executed it: Let's HIDE the graveyard for no reason, leaving the space where it used to be blank, but have annoying notifications pop up any time any card is placed into a graveyard (like casting an Instant). You can click on an icon to make the graveyard appear, and you can even resize the window....but the cards remain exactly the same size, defeating the entire point.

Bonus idiocy: If you have a Bloodsoaked Champion (or I presume anything else with an activated ability that can be used) in the graveyard, any triggered ability causes your graveyard to pop back out, even if you deliberately closed it.

I could even live with most of this if they had just left the graveyard where it was so you could keep an eye on it without taking up space on the battlefield. Especially in Legacy, you really need to keep an eye on both graveyards at all times. I don't understand why they hid it and then just left this huge blank space where it was....

• Locked thread