Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I think the op needs a 'so you want to get in to magic' paragraph.

Also it's me, I'm the guy who is passed the foil fetchland in draft :getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

Seriosly? 1, or more, (but probably just 1) people were try-harding enough to just casually pass a Foil Fetch?

Dude better have won the draft with whatever he took over that.

Yeah just one. The guy isn't a new player (I'd probably have told him just take this), but is just like, a little off in his own world most of the time. Not gonna look a gift horse in the mouth.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Effort post for the new OP:

So you want to get in to magic

Perhaps you have a few buddies who play magic and showed you the the rules over a few practice games. Perhaps you tried a demo of the latest Duels of the Planeswalkers and want to learn more. Perhaps you have a fifty burning a hole in your pocket. How do you actually get in to (paper) magic?

There are numerous ways, and they will likely depend on what aspect of the game you enjoy most. Since you probably don't know what part that is yet, before dropping money on anything big I recommend cheaply sampling several different events and seeing what fits your style and what you found to be the most fun. Also I believe having, making, or joining a group of like minded friends is the key to getting the most out of the game. It's really important. Having people to bounce deck ideas off of, borrow cards from, generally play and bullshit around with, is definitely where it's at. You can get burned out on decks, formats, travelling to events, et cetera, but having a group to fall back on and enjoy your hobby with is a huge deal that can't be overstated.

If it's the right time of year when a set is about to be released, the absolute best 'new player' experience is a prerelease event. Everyone will be having a good time enjoying the sweet new cards and it is the most casual, most newbie friendly event there is. Try out stores in your area and see if you like their vibe. They are limited events so you don't need to have a collection at all to play.

If you're not going to play at an FLGS (friendly local game store) grab some premade products: 'intro decks' which are released with each set and showcase the mechanics of that set, or some 'duel decks' which come out twice a year and feature two balanced opposing decks, premade commander decks which is a fun casual format. Play at home or whatever with your buddies and enjoy.

For in-store play, next I recommend doing limited events. Again because they don't require any pre-purchases. The downside to them is there is a fairly deep learning curve so you are unlikely to win often from the get go. But, as a new player they have many benefits:
- They force you to exercise the widest array of mental muscles (drafting decks, deckbuilding, and gameplay) so you will likely learn and improve quickly
- They are good value: They cost the price of a movie ticket and last a whole evening
- You can build a collection organically over time from the cards you take and open
- They present the one opportunity to play with almost every card in the set, whereas for constructed a very small minority of cards are viable and the rest are immediately ignored.
- Also limited is the most fun you can have at magic IMO : )
- Ask here or in the limited thread for help or resources on improving your limited game.

Next, try out constructed events. Constructed presents an opportunity to spend almost unlimited amounts of money so hopefully you have a handle on what you want to be doing before dropping the big bucks. There are several ways to cheaply get into constructed magic:
- Start with standard. It has the most recent cards, cheapest overall cost, and is the most popular format so you should have no trouble finding events.
- Unfortunately the format rotates so over a long timeframe it is actually the most expensive format as you have to keep on the treadmill. Also you may need key cards for a deck that are about to rotate out and a) become useless since they're no longer legal b) lose a lot of value due to a.
- Either decide on a deck, perhaps borrowing a friend's to play for an event or two, or start with a cheap premade deck.
- Cheap premade decks come from 'event deck' or 'clash pack' products, which are premade semi-competitive decks that are designed to be easy to augment.
- For super casual play, you can buy the 'deck builder's toolkit' which will have a bunch of cards and you can practice putting your own deck together.

If you want to seriously play constructed you can then
- Pick your deck, then buy the specific cards for that deck
- NEVER OPEN PACKS HOPING TO FIND THE CARDS YOU NEED! The odds are just not there.
- Buy cards from your FLGS if you want to support your local magic community
- Otherwise buy them cheaply online if you can wait for shipping
- Avoid taking a good deck then subbing out the expensive cards with cheaper alternatives. This is usually a frustrating an unsuccessful strategy. Instead select an alternative cheaper deck that is perhaps off the radar and make the best version of it you can.

Other money saving tips:
- Don't buy brand new cards unless you intend to play with them immediately. Wait for the world to bust millions of packs for you and let supply match demand.
- Try not to change your mind too much about decks, as you will eat the retail to buylist spread every time you cash your cards in for other ones. Also playing the same deck for months and being really good with it means you will generally outplay opponents with 'better' decks who are new to them.
- Be mindful of rotation
- Buy a box for $80 - $100 and run your own limited event with your friends. It's easy and cheap.

TL;DR: Play with friends, do what is fun for you, don't take it too seriously at first, don't drop a tonne of money at first.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
^^^^ they never did they just banned discussion of it on mtgsalvation so it is hard to accrue enough data if you're not a big store. Once people realized the pack art pattern to reverse the intrabox reordering it got way easier too.

Magic: the Gathering Financial Speculation Megathread: Glittering Rich

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Sep 29, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
It won't be too good. If it gets popular, the meta will shift and people will add hate over time.

It's definitely a fun deck though whoo boy.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

mcmagic posted:

Christ. I wish my LGS was as nice as yours. The dude at mine keeps the Russian and Korean ones for himself.

Yeah mine is selling russian packs at $9 per. I watched someone by 9 and crack them and get basically poo poo :stonk:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So was my 'get in to magic' post poo poo or just not noteworthy? :(

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Carrasco posted:

This comes up every once in a while, and I don't think we've ever found a way to template it that isn't really awkward. Functionally, I think Aetherling is as close as it's gonna get.

Noncombat damage can't be marked on ~. ~ can't be destroyed except by lethal damage.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Carrasco posted:

That's just a weaker and needlessly complicated version of indestructible.

Isn't that what we're going for? I didn't actually read most of the last page :shobon:

End of Life Guy posted:

Prevent all non-combat damage that would be dealt to ~
:goonsay:

That doesn't get around 'this damage can't be prevented' effects..

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Talking about tempo as board presence like Duke does neglects that there are major tempo swings that have nothing to do with you or the opponent putting something on board.

Look at it in terms of using/amplifying the use of all the phases of your turn or denying your opponent the use of theirs. Haste lets you make use of an attack phase you otherwise wouldn't get to. Consider having a guy with haste. It's a tempo gain that has nothing to do with board presence (you had board presence whether your guy has haste or not but now you get to make use of an extra attack phase!). Having your lands tapped down (e.g. Rishadan Port) denies you non-instant-speed use of your untap phase. Still nothing about board presence.

Yes exactly. I regard tempo as the translation of some limited, time gated, resource into board presence. Usually 'ability to generate mana to cast spells' that affect the board. Thus, plays can be tempo positive, negative, or neutral.

Playing a creature is tempo positive. You've translated a card in your hand, by using the lands you've played, into a threat on the board.

Unsummon is also tempo positive. Cast against me it undoes the tempo I gained when I 'used up' my turn playing the creature. That is, tempo is loosely zero sum. What's negative tempo for me is positive tempo for my opponent.

Unsummon is tempo positive but card disadvantage. I still have my creature and you are down your spell. But a tempo deck is happy to trade card disadvantage for strong positive tempo. A tempo deck's game plan is to maintain a board advantage through tempo long enough to win the game before running out of cards.

That is why cheap counterspells that 'trade up' countering larger investments are good for tempo decks, or the king of tempo cards: Remand. Also why tempo is the gameplan of an agro-control deck: Play supercheap threats to create an initial board advantage, and then deny, counter, or delay your opponents development.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So my friend Ranjan invented the deck and finally did a writeup on it in case you want to hear about sideboard options and such: http://legendstech.tumblr.com/post/99043068011/building-jeskai-ascendancy

Also that is our teams hilariously lovely new tumblr

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Yeah please subscribe actually we hope it'll fill with pretty good content.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
So who is caught up on the latest modo drama? Today was the first new ptq. Limited with t8 draft. Apparently modo screwed up and auto submitted 80 card decks for several of the players.

Well I'll just quote reddit for the rest:

In the T8 of the Magic Online PTQ today 4 players were forced to autosubmit 80 card decks. The event was not remade and they played it out. One of the unsubmitted decks made it to the finals (where the player lost) and, in order to resolve the issue, Mike Turian (Digital Product Manager for Magic Online) called the winner and asked them to replay the match.

So, uhh don't put your cellphone in if you don't want the director of magic calling you up and guilting you into replaying a match on their broken system. :aslol:

e:fffuuuuu

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Well I sold all my rabblemasters when they hit 10 ish but one of my team mates just cashed out. I think we're still sitting on 500 or so...

e: average buy price $0.82

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 7, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
36 creature decks, devoting out hydras for 10+, 8+ 5cmc Sarkhan/Dragon decks, main deck Doomwake Giants...

How inbred will the big-game decks get before blue makes an appearance in standard to punish all this? I haven't seen a meta like this in forever.

e: Not to say it's a problem, just a unique set of circumstances right now I suppose.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Chill la Chill posted:

You've just described the thragtusk-angel standard from a couple years ago. This is what happens when wizards only wants good creatures that aren't easily killed. And yet they will do so because of the feel bad of counters and kill spells.

I agree that's partly it. here is development's manifesto on the balancing the pillars of ETB creatures vs Hexproof vs Wrath vs Conditional/Unconditional targeted removal.

What good creatures can't be easily killed? I mean we do have a shittier wrath, we do have cut, we do have downfall and anger. Eventually people will start disdainful stroking siege rhinos, they have to.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

I Love You! posted:

I'm going to go out on a limb and say that banning Treasure Cruise might actually be the correct move since it's going to enable whatever combo deck comes around even if it isn't Jeskai Ascendency. That card is BARELY fair in standard and might prove not to be if people break it. In the eternal formats it basically rewards an ever-escalating sequence of dick moves with 4 maindeck Ancestral Recalls.

Basically from the moment they spoiled Cruise it should have been apparent that several formats were about to be rocked HARD because vomiting 6-7 cards to the yard by t3 is pretty much completely trivial.

I say all this and Cruise is basically my favorite card printed in the last 10 years, but it's not a healthy card when it finds a home. If control has ANY place in the current meta it is going to be on the back of this card. People keep pointing at Dig Through Time, but they're missing a few pieces of why this card is so unbelievably overpowered in a strong control shell:

1. Control typically wants both land AND cards. Control isn't just good because it draws a lot of cards: it's good because it has useful stuff to do with all the cards it draws. Dig Through Time is incredible for getting a few specific answers if you are behind: Treasure Cruise is merely excellent at this but is much better at simply putting you further ahead or pulling ahead when you are even.

2. Treasure Cruise is much better in a deck that wants to tap out every single turn, since it ensures a steadier supply of cards that include both land and answers. It is better in a deck with redundancy and inevitability and strong mana sinks. It is better in multicolored and splashy decks that have more versatile answers on average due to the single blue pip.

3. It costs one blue mana symbol. This is absolutely huge in combo or hard control where every pip counts. And it combines with the final point to really push Cruise over the edge:

4. Treasure Cruise is great in multiples up to 4-of where Dig is typically not. The reason being: when casting Treasure Cruises, you are pulling lands in addition to counters and discards and all your normal cards. With Dig you are typically grabbing only specific answers and finishers barring dire need. Cruise is more about proactive developing your board and hand for the long haul vs. Dig. As a result, Cruise intrinsically does more to set up your mana base and gyard for subsequent Cruises (in addition to being easier to cast) than Dig. It's not uncommon to pull something like a fetch and 2 random cards from a Cruise, which results in net 2 cards in yard and +1 mana between the Cruise itself and cracking the fetch. Combined with the land drop itself, that's 3 mana pips toward your next Cruise where you would only have 1 from the Dig in the same circumstances. Over time, this adds up and is a reason many Legacy/Vintage decks have been creeping toward Cruise as a 4-of.

/end treasure cruise rant for now, it's amazing and scary

Cruise is so good check out where it's showing up:

Someone I know 4-0'ed a daily with it.

4 Goblin Guide
4 Eidolon of the Great Revel

4 Rift Bolt
4 Chain Lightning
4 Lava Spike
2 Price of Progress
4 Fireblast
4 Lightning Bolt

2 Searing Blaze
2 Searing Blood

4 Treasure Cruise
2 Gitaxian Probe

4 Scalding Tarn
2 Bloodstained Mire
10 Mountain
4 Volcanic Island

---
3 Smash to Smithereens
4 Dragon's Claw
4 Grafdigger's Cage
2 Tormod's Crypt
2 Sulfuric Vortex

R1: Merfolk (2-1): I won the first game, and lost the second to Chalice@1. For game three, I boarded in Smash and didn't look back.

R2: Dark Times (2-1): I win game 1 stranding Spoils of the Vault in his hand. I actually resolve a third-turn Cruise this game. Game 2, he has Leyline and combos me out. Game 3, he assembles a third-turn 20/20, but doesn't live long enough to attack with her.

R3: Miracles (2-0): I just burn him out, and while he gets Counterbalance and Top in game 2, plenty of cards in this deck don't cost one.

R4: Grixis Delver (2-0): The Searing cards turn his creatures into Lava Spikes, and his taxing counters are easy to play around when he can't keep a creature on the table.

He couldn't find monastery swiftspears or more fetches before the daily but those seem like good inclusions

In short, :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

newtestleper posted:

So very very tired......

awkward, check
strict(ly), miss
unnecessary double negative, miss
optimal, miss

1/4 buzzword rate: must not be magic related

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Attorney at Funk posted:

I'll tell you what, though, getting rid of Sheldon Menery and bringing back Randy Buehler has been great.

:agreed: . I'm waiting for the strategy that CFB has used during their recent GPs of recording two matches per round and playing both to cover the break between rounds to catch on. There are only so many ultrapro commercials and lame 'top 5 most impactful cards' features I can take.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

neetengie posted:

Is that some silky smooth 15FPS? It looks better than other Wizards broadcasts.

I'm a fan of the 2 seconds of audio video desync.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
"Tossed a couple lands on the table after deckbuilding. Person across from me was (unbeknown to me) hit and felt aggressed. During turn 3 of game 1, I get pulled out and told my tournament is over. Zero tolerance policy for potentially aggressive behavior. Intent is not taken into consideration."

Not even his opponent lmao

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Greg Ogreenc at the Pro Tour. I'm loving it it's so stupid.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

DurdleDuck posted:

According to someone on Twitter:

Matteo Orsini Jones ‏@matteoOJ 37m37 minutes ago
@dieplstks he did it because the other guy took basics from the communal pile, then refused to give them back when greg said they were 'his'

Sounds like a nice guy.

Nerd drama is the best drama. :razz:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

JerryLee posted:

Just about everything I read about SCG tournaments, and PTQs for that matter, makes them seem like really unfun hellholes.

It's a cliquey, toxic environment full of try hards doing their best to pull one over on everyone else at all times of course it's miserable.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRxCeO2KIS8&t=480s

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Cernunnos posted:

The thing I don't like about Net-decking is that there are lots of people who netdeck and then have almost no idea how to actually pilot the deck but will still parrot off the whole "this deck won an Open/GP/PT" spiel when you ask them about it.

I enjoy dicking around with building my own decks. Taking an idea, slapping it together, smashing it into a friends deck, tweaking it bit by bit myself or on the advice/suggestions of friends at my LGS and then playing it again, and then tweaking it again, etc. The most competitive Magic I play is FNM though and I've never won with them (lots of 2-2 though) but I have a lot of fun.

I think all the deck-building I've done has made me a bit better at Limited too.

I hate deckbuilding and pulling cards out of boxes and poo poo. It's probably the biggest barrier to me playing constructed magic. Honestly just printing out a list and putting it together once is the easiest for me so that's usually why I do it. Then again I'm playing eternal formats where like, there's almost no point in brewing up some wacky goofball thing just to see how it does.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

AlternateNu posted:

It is your duty now to build 4 color Quickling Rhinos.

See, I'm the exact opposite. I love brewing the most random jankiest Johnniest decks imaginable. And I will trade for the stupidest cards to do it. I will loving kill you by shrapnel blasting a Scuttling Doom Engine, you fucker! Or Spite of Mogis-ing my own Boros Reckoner after dumping half my deck (packed with Divinations, Jace's Ingenuity, and Steam Augury) into the grave!

Yeah maybe I'm weird.

Honestly though I will pay someone $10 an hour to come help me clean up my collection and get my 11 (:sigh:) 85% complete modern decks together. +30% if you'll accept cards/boosters. Totally serious if you live in seattle hit me up. Just don't steal anything haha.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

I can't be arsed to look it up, but a year or two ago, in the midst of one of the most severe MODO tournament implosions, there was a post here from someone in the Seattle area describing a WotC Rep showing up at an FNM trying desperately to recruit some C++ (C#?) programmers or some such and getting laughed out of the store when people saw the compensation.
Oh yeah, this was monday legacy at card kingdom (apparently they were around at fnm too). As if 'plays magic' has any relationship to 'develops good software'.

Here are some things people should bear in mind when spouting off about what they should do about modo:

- "They should just make a new team and have them do a new client." They did this recently, twice. Once was a silverlight based browser version that did in fact get canned. The next was V4. They failed at that too until they could no longer afford to code everything twice and also brought in an external company to help with crashes and 'having more than 1000 cards in the collection view'. Seeing as the non dueling non matchmaking views are barely functional they are at the minimum bar above failing here.

- I do know someone who was hired onto their dev team recently. He was a tenant of mine and started as a contractor, which if you know the seattle dev area is like a second class coding citizen (ms blue badge etc etc). They liked him so much they hired him full time before he finished his 6 months though. iirc he was a .net guy. But, he had just moved to town and I expect they were paying him ~75k /year which is honestly about 1/3 - 1/4 what a grade A engineer makes in this town.

- The reason they never advertised about MODO or put in the effort to grow the player base was because of their backend. Aaron Forsythe mentioned this specifically when he was on the brainstorm brewery podcast. It could never support a 10x scale jump in user base and as such was always considered a niche product and thus not a first class citizen. Presumably with v4 this can now change.

- Client performance is pretty poor too. I don't understand how it can be such a resource hog when all it's doing is moving a few 2d images back and forth. Shameful.

Anyways my biggest beef with MODO is how it is still mired in the 'replace paper but online' mindset. That was important back in 2003 or whenever when it launched. I mean, paying real money for online cards? Shocking at the time. It has some benefits still like redemption but on the whole has been holding them back for a long time:

- poo poo trading. Trading online should be so easy. It's just numbers in a database. All copies of a particular card are identical. Having to talk to a bot that ocrs a view of a binder is ridiculous. Having to scan classifieds like some lovely craigslist ghetto is even more ridiculous. There is no reason to re create the (terrible) in-person way trades happen. Make a marketplace with bids and asks already. Take a cut and you could make it revenue positive even!

- Recreating paper tournaments. I enjoy spending an evening drafting at the store with friends. I might even take a whole saturday for a ptq occasionally. I do not want to be tied to my computer for 4+ hours to do one magic event. Take the hearthstone draft model (for sealed events) at the very least where I can drop in and play a round whenever.

- Stop trying to do everything yourself. Put your backend on appengine or aws or something and leave the service management to professionals. Keep your staff focused on improving the rules engine, divorced from any particular frontend view of the system, so that you could have a web client or something other than windows (lol).

- Allow me to play but don't force me to have identical collections online and offline. Maybe this means phantom constructed events or borowing a deck service or something who knows.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Nice! But it needs that blue paper layer to survive a third glance.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Details on that mtg board game they announced at the PT: http://s3.gatheringmagic.com.s3.amazonaws.com/uploads/2014/10/16/mtgsg-press-fact-sheet.pdf

eh

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Also what is up with that weaksauce frame? I guess it's just a placeholder.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

This is the PT winning deck 1 week after the PT of course it will be expensive. It is at its total peak.

But, all the theros cards in that deck were 20-50% cheaper not 5 weeks ago. Also all the ktk cards in that set will be 20-50% cheaper by new years. $800 is not a really accurate figure.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Ultima66 posted:

Like you don't look at the retail price of a game and say "well that price is inflated, when it goes on sale you can buy it for less so the retail price isn't the REAL price of it."

I totally look at the retail price of things and say that. Especially in the days of steam sales and stuff.

People don't just drop $500 at once on a single deck all together. They buy it over time usually, or sell the rotating cards and keep the core of nonrotating cards. If you've been playing for any amount of time you have a feel for the cycles of ups and downs throughout the year and it is totally a fair way to look at the price of a deck.

Mythic bant, now that was an expensive deck. 4x $100 Jace, 4x $50 Baneslayer, fetches, heirarchs, KotR, and more.

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Say you are sideboarding for game two in a match and you notice a mainboard card in your deckbox. Do you call a judge on yourself? Be honest.

vv I'm not asking what you're supposed to do I'm asking whether you actually would do it.

Fuzzy Mammal fucked around with this message at 21:44 on Oct 20, 2014

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Toshimo posted:

You'd be wrong. If anything, cheating is significantly more prevalent at FNM level.

I find this to be very true. Ever notice the decks in Sunday prereleases are way better than the Friday midnight ones? People are less on the lookout when not as much is on the line. The lengths people will go to for a pack or two is pretty nuts.

Harmonica posted:

Unintentional events like that don't really bare any comparison to intentional cheating, though. And if your point is, 'when you realise you did something wrong, do you own up?' you probably do, because at worst even if you get disqualified or whatever punishment, few people are going to be all 'gently caress that guy who made a mistake and then admitted it when he didn't need to!'

Sure sure. I'm just saying it's hard to be that honest. Presumably if you just notice it in your deckbox afterwards you never drew the SB card, so in theory it had no effect on the game. Do you call the cops on yourself if you smoke weed every once in a while too?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Hasbro's Q3 earnings call was today. After the 'hearthstone isn't a competitive threat to digital magic' laffs in Q2 I was expecting more but it was pretty tame.

Highlights:

- Magic is doing well and they are continuing to ramp up investment in organized play and digital
- Q3 revenue >10% higher than Q2 (conspiracy probably didn't sell that well)
- Digital revenue as a proportion of all magic revenue is growing (Duels I guess?)

Here's a gross non-paywall link that works in chrome: view-source:http://seekingalpha.com/article/2576075-hasbros-has-ceo-brian-goldner-on-q3-2014-results-earnings-call-transcript?page=6

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
Interestingly this is what they had to say about Khans:

quote:

Yes, Tarkir has been a great release. The fans have really enjoyed it thus far. Still early days, because you know it’s just been released. We talked about earlier in the year the fact that the releases really do matter. This is a storytelling brand first and foremost and engagement with characters is critical.

So in their mind the revenue drivers are brand and story and not the design or the cards themselves. I'm surprised. Cool gold cards and a fun limited format are what I think make most players excited and open their wallets. Maybe I'm wrong?

e: If he were right why did they drop the novels / ebooks then?

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy
I'm picturing a CEO explaining the significance of fetchlands and what's basically a reprint of ancestral to some wall street analysts and it's not really working...

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

Skillface posted:

Yeah I'm up in Canada too and FaceToFace is where I get everything. Quick with cheap shipping.

Speaking of shipping to Canada, I need to get some cards and boosters to my parents' place in NS, and I can't find anywhere that will ship for less than $9 (WHAT??). Including face to face. Just one booster and a couple singles is all. We're gonna build a card catalog over the holidays and he needs them for sizing.

I remember shipping was terrible when I lived there but seriously nine bucks?

• Locked thread