Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
http://www.twitch.tv/shotgunlotus/

shotgun lotus VRD draft of champions I'M SO EXCITED

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'd really like Fact or Fiction available in modern and think it'd be fine in an 18 month standard. I think it's a skill testing card that doesn't invalidate whole classes of cards like Sphinx' Revelation

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
https://twitter.com/TrickMTG/status/519983354548981760

waiting for this playmat for awhile.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
I'd like to take a moment and complain that this is basically the only PT since DKA where I wasn't able to start at the beginning in the "Past Broadcasts" and catch up, skipping the the boring parts. :(

As of now, there's only 90 minutes of video there of the 6 hours since they started

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 02:17 on Oct 11, 2014

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

Mordieth posted:

cant you go all the way back on youtube?

eventually you can (typically Wednesday), but it's not here right now:
https://www.youtube.com/user/wizardsmtg/videos

but checking into it, it looks like you can go back to the middle of round 2 on the "live event" here: http://youtu.be/GJ2v-uRBYuc

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
my usual answer for this kind of thing is "get Urza's Saga" just for Pestilence at common

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

End of Life Guy posted:

Is there a list of EDH staples that can go in basically any deck like artifacts or lands and maybe a list of good cards of each color ? I want to spice up the white and black pre-cons that the misses and I just bought. I don't want to re-invent the wheel by searching Gatherer for keywords that I can think of if I don't have to.

something like this is a fine start (~2 years old so prices are probably a lot lower and it's missing the last ~5 sets):
http://www.starcitygames.com/article/24454_Commander-Staples-And-The-Hall-of-Fame.html

I was able to pick up the Red and White precons at my local Walmart with no problem while on another errand :cool:

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
tying together a few conversations last page, on Mirage / crazy good deals on product / rules confusion.

The summer of Masques/Nemesis/Prophecy draft format (1999 or 2000) there was a video bootleg store near my local mall that also sold sealed boxes of random magic sets. Stuff like Fallen Empires, random core sets, plus whatever was in print. It was an extremely mixed bag. They ended up having a month or two where Mirage boxes were ~30-40 bucks each, and my friend bought as many as we could realistically afford at age 16, which was around 6-8 boxes. (I think it around ~30% of whatever the latest set booster box was priced at)

We 2-4 person drafted Mirage for the rest of the summer and I have really fond memories of it. Especially drafting a lot of red for flanking, torch and Raging Spirit (as a hill giant it had a relevant body and there was a lot more protection from red running around back then).

My friend was the local rules guru but it was within his range to speak authoritatively despite being totally wrong. For several weeks I was losing games due to him making plays such as:

Melesse Spirit entering the battlefield, put the Protection from Black ability on the stack, and I'll respond by killing it with Dark Banishing

This was due to a combination of us:
- as really new tournament players, copying all the good players who seemed to say "respond" to basically everything.
- taking "damage on the stack" to a completely illogical conclusion

That summer of drafting appears to have costed 6 * ~$480 = $2880 and since this was before anything know that Lion's Eye Diamond was actually good, I think the most impactful thing we actually saved for ourself was random old arts of thing that were in standard at the time.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 01:41 on Nov 27, 2014

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
we did 3 games of 3 people and it was good, though I felt disconnected from what was happening across the room

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

rabidsquid posted:

I don't know that it was even bad game design, logistically it was so passingly unlikely to happen. Then when distribution and accessibility changed the rules did.

Rosewater in Drive to Work has consistently described this as "if it turns into a problem, that means we'll have hit the jackpot so big we can we can figure it out later." I think that makes a fair bit of sense.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
signal the clans has the "fixed" templating for this effect.

"Gifts Ungiven For Lands" has the original one.

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon

:respek: I was unreasonably happy when tcgplayer started listing tokens. I think it's worse it when people represent tokens with dice/backs of cards, so I go out of my way to make sure it's not like that in my cube (which plays a lot of obscure ones)

I was expecting it to be Kenji until the way the announcement was handled. Like everyone else, I hope it's LSV, but I'm an hour into the Efro episode and it's pretty good. I like Efro on the Vintage Super League commentary, so I think I can get past the awkwardness I feel whenever he's tilting.

Lurchington fucked around with this message at 05:05 on Jan 3, 2015

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lurchington
Jan 2, 2003

Forums Dragoon
There was a brief mention of it, but Drive to Work with Mark Rosewater is one of the more important ones if you care about the game's history. His voice reminds me a lot of Ira Glass and I've already made peace with it.

• Locked thread