Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.
Richard Nguyen won game 2 of round 5 on camera, but didn't reveal his morphed Rattleclaw Mystic when he scooped his cards up and no one caught it.

There's a judge sitting right next to him, what the hell?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Noncombat damage can't be marked on ~.

Prevent all non-combat damage that would be dealt to ~
:goonsay:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Use her naked body as your playmate ala those girls off whom you eat sushi.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

MiddleEastBeast posted:

lol where the gently caress does he get off comparing himself to 'the rapists murderers felons' of the world for being banned from competitive events for a trading card game for 4 years. I actually sympathized with him for being the unfortunate target of the worst aspects of internet detectivery and vigilantism but not anymore. What a dickbag.

I imagine he was attempting to mock the comparisons that the internet detectives were making about him.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Since the next set is called "Fate Reforged", I'm thinking we might see Nahari in standard soon.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

And even if it's something you could normally do (like add -1/-1 counters), you can just choose not to, then ignore the sacrifice clause?

I'd say yes because Cumulative upkeep has this reminder text: (At the beginning of your upkeep, put an age counter on this permanent, then sacrifice it unless you pay its upkeep cost for each age counter on it.)

So you can just choose not to pay.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Valentine's Day is amateur hour at every date spot. Go the day after and get a waiter that isn't crumbling under the pressure of 15 guys each needing this night to go perfect. If your date is anything other than completely superficial, he/she won't mind going a day late. Flowers and teddy bears go on sale too.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Is there a list of EDH staples that can go in basically any deck like artifacts or lands and maybe a list of good cards of each color ? I want to spice up the white and black pre-cons that the misses and I just bought. I don't want to re-invent the wheel by searching Gatherer for keywords that I can think of if I don't have to.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

born on a buy you posted:

he's a pretty big guy, it's hard not to see him

Does he have the body of a strong man and the chiseled face of a super model? Because that guy was at both the SCG Opens I went to in Dallas in the past year, and he constantly stood out from the crowd. I couldn't find myself not looking at him by accident. Just a real hunk of a man.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I bet texting your table to your phone will start as a premium service available at SCG events. I'm still in school for programming, but if the pairings list is already exported to a txt document, searching it for the dci numbers of the people who paid for the service wouldn't be too hard. If AOL Messenger can send messages to phones, I'm sure it could be hooked to a program that also does that. Feed it a line of text and a phone number a few hundred times and collect your extra $.

Really, what's another $5 to avoid the crowd?

Star City Games is not responsible for your lovely cell service and or your battery being dead. Standard messaging rates apply. Also, we're compiling all your numbers into a database for future use

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

drat he's good.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

He might inspire cheating by being at a skill level that is unobtainable to us normal players, but that's it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

By what metrics do they rank the best players in the world? Is it pro points by season?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Bring a Become Immense in case he only has time to sign one card.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

DAD LOST MY IPOD posted:

... you can't put object on the stack in the middle of the resolution of another object (you wait until it resolves, then put any relevant triggers on the stack). ...

So, if I use Twinflame to make a copy of Mnemonic Wall, I don't put the wall's ETB trigger on to the stack until after TwinFlame is in the graveyard, meaning I can target Twinflame with the ETB trigger?

I've been told that this doesn't work by my LGS owner (a L1 judge) because the ETB triger goes onto the stack during twinflame's resolution and therefore twinflame isn't a valid target. I initially thought he was wrong, and mentioned that MTGO doesn't seem to work like that, but he convinced me with an example of Villainous Wealth: you have to cast the spells Villainous Wealth reveals as part of its resolution, so things are going onto the stack during the resolution of something else.

Which is correct?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

So I was watching Cheon's stream yesterday, ...

Is that correct?

A forest can't be attached to a permanent, so that's the behavior I'd expect.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

The Forest was attached though.

Oh, I misread which card was floating over on the side.
Mtgo is dumb sometimes.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

My family is asking me what I want for Christmas. Are there any TCGplayer type websites with gift cards? I'd hate to be monotonously pedantic and tell her which pieces of amulet combo I'm lacking.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Every trigger of yours works like this. You don't have to manually place them on the stack and resolve them, you only have to acknowledge them at the first time they would become relevant to the game.

I cast Mantis Rider
I cast Jeskai Ascendancy
I cast Dig Through Time
I go to combat
Mantis Rider swings for 4. <-- first required mention of the +1/+1 trigger from Jeskai Ascendancy.

"Oh wait, I forgot to draw and discard a card earlier" <-- Too bad, you should have mentioned it back when it affected the game. It is missed. If you call a judge, depending on the REL and his/her discretion, it may be added to the stack now, but probably won't be.

I cast Young Pyromancer
I cast Gitaxian Probe <--You better mention the Young Pyro trigger right now, as it has an immediate effect on the game.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Careful not to throw around "resolve" too loosely. Resolving is what an object on the stack does. Both Hardened Scales and Doubling Season are replacement effects and are applied immediately (albeit, in the order you choose) without use of the stack and cannot be responded to.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I'm stuck at work with only my phone. How is Chapin doing? I saw he got at least 1 loss, is he still in the running for top-4?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Devor posted:

Patrick Chapin vs Shahar Shenhar in the World Magic Cup Finals just started

If Chapin wins, maybe SCG will bring him back as a commentator :smith:

He won't have time to comment what with the pussy he'll be drowning in.

GO CHAPIN GO

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I just built a U/G control deck with 4 Caryatids, 3 Coursers, and 17 counter spells. Wincons are a Villainous Wealth off an Urborg and a Sagu Mauler.
I played a 55 minute game 1 with it last night. It was glorious. I'm dumping the mauler for Grindclock.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Anti-Citizen posted:

You don't even need the Clock, and keep the Mauler in the SB, Villainous wealth gets there 90% of the time, Coursers close the gap pretty well.

I wealthed for 10 last night and hit 9 lands and a lightning strike. It was really funny.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Man_alive posted:

This sounds completely oppressive and you are a monster.

Got a list?

AlternateNu posted:

Yeah. Are you really only running 8 creatures? No Rattleclaw Mystics?

Here's the most recent version. I'm open to suggestions.
http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/10-12-14-Mtw-ug-control/

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

Nullify is about a zillion times better than Cancel. And Void Snare is a great removal spell for permanents that get past your counter wall. It is cheap and almost always allows you to keep counter magic up.
I would also just max out Polluted Deltas and Windswept Heaths (unless you just don't have them).

Void Snare in the board seems good against all the whip decks. I will board out cancel for nullify against aggro and U/W heroic.
What would you replace with more fetch lands? I'm running low on fetchables as it is.

Rimusutera posted:

No Opulent Palace?

I want as few tapped lands as possible in the early game, and with three ways (Delta, Temple, and Swamp) to cast Villainous Wealth in a game that I already want to go long, I think tri-lands give no benefit.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I like that you don't have to remove all the storage counters, just as many as you need.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

mcmagic posted:

Yeah anything like this that just bounces off Courser isn't going to be all that great.

Isn't there a warrior "Lord" you can drop on turn 2 or 3 that could make his turn 4 dash a little better?

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

It is restricted, by the size of your graveyard though? :confused:

In response, sac Tormod's Crypt . :getin:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Gyshall posted:

Ban Yisan, the Wanderer Bard

Melira Bard is the next tier 1 deck.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Errant Gin Monks posted:

What? We just finished a block with supreme verdict and day of judgement.

we wont get 4 mana uncounterable unconditional board wipes anymore per Wizards right before the release of Khan.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

AlternateNu posted:

It would be awesome if by the time the standard is done "Ascendancy Combo" won't be descriptive enough.

They said "Temur Ascendancy", and I assumed it was W/U/R splashing green.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I tried to get a playset of Frontier Siege on TCGPlayer for ~$0.79 each, but by the time I hit checkout, all 24 of that seller's cards were gone and the cheapest I can find now is a buck. :argh: JERKS! :argh:

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I'm struggling to find the article, but I read one recently that encapsulated this whole thing by talking about women in street jokes. You know, like the "Three guys walk into a bar" kinds of jokes. They found that when people were told jokes that involved men, the people listening expected the joke to be about a funny situation in which those men found themselves. But, if the joke began with "Three women walk into a bar", the listeners expected the joke to involve a situation that is compounded by the fact that the people are women. Men is the default form, and if you add a woman in there, her gender is expected to contribute to the story in some way. I think that's what's going on here. Some people expected the fact that Alesha identifies as trans to impact the story in some way, and when it doesn't impact it to the level of their expectations, they respond, "Why did she have to be trans?" innocently confused about why it mattered while others don't assume that a person's gender should necessarily impact the story to the same degree, so, to them, it's not a big deal and maybe even kind of cool that she was trans, and that her gender wasn't the focus of the story.

StrugglingHoneybun fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Jan 29, 2015

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Not sure if that's the original or a reblog, but that's it. Thanks, I'm gonna bookmark it.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Don't Get Greedy
3U

Instant

Counter target spell.

This spell costs (1) less to cast for each spell that was cast before it by the targetted spell's controller this turn.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Elyv posted:

I'm pretty sure this doesn't work because targets are chosen before costs are paid.

Isn't that be exactly why it would work? You'd pick a target, then calculate and pay costs based on the target's controller.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Entropic posted:

We might actually end up getting more returning mechanics with 3 blocks per year instead of 1 block plus a core set. Ever since at least Shards block, the Large fall set has always had a returning mechanic, as has the core set. If every Large set going onward still has a returning mechanic, that's three a year instead of two. And there's no reason they can't play around in a block set with putting stuff in different colors the way they did with Convoke, Exalted, Bloodthirst etc. in the M1X core sets.

There's only going to be two large blocks in a normal post-metamorphosis calendar year. It'll be large Fall block, small Winter block, large Spring block, and small Summer block.

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

I'm one of the people playing U/B Control after FRF because I've never played control before, and I already had most of the pieces from playing mono-black that splashed blue for Psychic Strike. Polluted Deltas are an investment worth making, so I bit the bullet and bought them, and nothing else was that expensive. Dig Through Time was down to ~$4.50 on TCgPlayer, and I traded for my Perilous Vaults and Crux of Fates.

Control is hard to play in that I want to get the most value out of my cards. I win through card advantage. When you have 1 card in hand, and I have 7, You can't come back from that. But, how do I obtain maximum value out of this board wipe if you refuse to play a second creature? Do I use my last counter on this Fleecemane lion that you're casting when I know damned well you've got a Seige Rhino on deck? I'm still learning, and it's super fun.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrugglingHoneybun
Jan 2, 2005

Terrible Horse posted:

Can you post your list? I bought most of it pre-FRF but didnt want to buy Vaults.

I haven't tweaked this for my meta yet, but I'll probably maindeck one more vault or find a place for Ugin. Its weak to lots of walkers.

http://www.channelfireball.com/articles/ub-control-with-fate-reforged/

• Locked thread