Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I have three Deflecting Palms already thanks to sealed play. I guess I should finish the set before they spike up in price~

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
That top deck harness :vince:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Aw, 9th place. :(

http://sales.starcitygames.com//deckdatabase/displaydeck.php?DeckID=73385

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Rogue 7 posted:

I know that dude! He is a good dude.

Edit: Unless you are that dude, in which case, hey!

Naw, it ain't me, but I do like seeing any sort of Sligh/Red Deck Wins/whatever place. Gotta live that classic dream~

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

stinkles1112 posted:

Do these people not remember Lightning Angel? How can you look at Mantis Rider and not see an obviously playable card?

My brother was hyped about playing Jeskai and Mantis Rider because of his nostalgia for Lightning Angel in ye olden Type II. He's now excited that Jeskai is a thing he can feasibly do in Standard.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

KidDynamite posted:

Why not just buy a playset of fetches for the same price???

You'll never get a foil playset of Polluted Deltas with that attitude!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bread Set Jettison posted:

I hate when people "tap" poo poo and in reality they just kind of poke the card and it barely moves. That guy gets murdered after lands-in-front guy.

Rotate your cards at a 45 degree angle just like it shows in the older tap symbols.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Love that boardstate.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Everyone should go back to just naming decks after cereal.

Or just breakfast foods in general. I was hoping to come back into Magic after Journey Into Nix came out and see the best decks called "Toaster Strudels" or "Biscuits and Gravy."

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I ended up placing first at my LGS's Game Day thing with a Mardu Warriors deck that I thought was awful. Ended up beating two Abzan Midrange decks, a Mardu Midrange deck, and a Jeskai Combo, only losing to Mono-Black Aggro in the final round (I was the only undefeated player by round five). It's a fun deck, but there were a few cards I didn't really see played much that I could probably take out and replace with something else. I'll throw up the deck in the deck-building thread thing.

A+ set would pull fetch lands again

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm a fan of the original "The Blob" movie and also I remember the X-Men character because of the X-Men arcade game.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Lottery of Babylon posted:

I am truly moved by the story of Afanensa, his-or-her character really resonates with me and I can't wait to see the resolution of their "puts a counter on a thing" arc

I'm more interested in the story of Zurgo and Sarkhan's bitter feud, and how sometimes Zurgo can't deal with Sarkhan because he is a dragon, and sometimes Zurgo slams into Sarkhan for seven damage.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

xeose4 posted:

That deck sounds amazing! That's just how I used to play back in the day, with bounces and counterspells and walls and just never losing life. It didn't always work (sometimes I would draw poorly and couldn't get any early defenders out against an aggro deck), but it was always fun when it did.

It sounds like you would've loved the old Turbo Stasis decks that were running around during Black Summer of '96, an example of which is found here. I used to play a mono-blue version of Stasis in Old Extended that would take advantage of cards that utilized my resources in alternative ways, such as Daze, Thwart, and Force of Will for "free" counterspells, Gush for card drawing and keeping my Stasis up, and Chronatog once I have the board completely locked down and my hand is full of countermagic. It was the durdliest deck, and it didn't do too well in Old Extended, but it was fun. You may also notice that the deck listed doesn't have creatures in it, and the only creature I ever played in my version, Chronatog, is not burly enough to block most threats. Since Stasis prevents creatures from untapping, and the opponent is usually restricted to playing one spell every couple of turns (defended against by "free" counterspells), you can consider life total on my side as a resource. I'd only play countermagic or bounce spells if they would threaten my board control or cause me to lose right then and there, but otherwise I didn't care about how much damage I took early game.

The reason Stasis became a thing, however, and why the time was known as "Black Summer" is because of this new, seemingly bad (at the time) card called Necropotence, and the decks that would use it. It turns out paying one life to draw a card at the end of your turn is worth Dark Ritual-ing it first turn and drawing up win conditions and answers to your opponent's stuff. Unlike Stasis, Necropotence kept seeing play in the Extended format well into 2001, five years after its release, when they finally banned it. Prior to that, they would ban all the cards used in conjunction with Necropotence rather than ban Necropotence outright. Trix was especially rough at the time, since it was really consistent and fast with its wins, and this was a deck that not only used Necropotence to turn life into cards, it used life to fuel other cheap cards as well. And these were competitive decks from well over ten years ago.

Dark Confidant will potentially make you lose more life per spell than what Necropotence will, but average it out with land draws that don't hurt you, and they're more or less similar in function. Dark Confidant just happens to be easier to kill than Necropotence, and instead of waiting until the end of your turn to get the card you get it right before your draw step, and also you still have your draw step instead of just skipping it.

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 15:47 on Oct 22, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Cernunnos posted:

One of the articles from just before Khans release talks about it.

It was basically MaRo saying "yeah it's Ancestral Recall but it's a Sorcery and you gotta jump through hoops" so hey it's fine.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Commander's Sphere is nice. I mean it's just another 3-mana any color rock, but the straight up "sac to draw a card" is a nice clean ability I can get behind.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

Edit: Also, the Red Deck is called Built From Scratch.

Who was a planeswalker and also liked to build poo poo?

Don't care if it was literally 3 minutes it still happened.

I'll accept this. Gimme my goblin planeswalker dude, WOTC!

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Coucho Marx posted:

Well, that's one way to hose land destruction as an anti-green-ramp strategy

I showed this to my brother and his first thought was "so I should play Armageddon with this, right?"

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Bob From Accounting

His +2 will be to summon an Orgg.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Deofuta posted:

The white planeswalker will be Lin Sivvi, because her time in standard was a good and vibrant time and everyone should be reminded of that with a tribal rebels edh deck.

I agree, Lin Sivvi was great and also relatively simple to shut down in standard and block constructed with Rising Waters. That's pretty much my only memory of Lin Sivvi. I was the Rising Waters player. :geno:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Kind of weird for a goblin planeswalker but I'll take what I can get. He's cheap and fits into a couple of the strategies in my dumb Shattergang Bros.-led EDH deck at least between filling the graveyard for Living Death/Patriarch's Bidding and acting as a second Goblin Welder I guess.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Count Bleck posted:

You learn to tune out "[Magic product] is the WORST thing to happen to the game since [Magic product]. Back in my day we had POWER in our [deck archtype] and we walked FIFTEEN MILES to the LGS to play our 3 rounder and 0-2 drop!" After a while.

"WITH NO SHOES, IN A BLIZZARD!"

You call this a bad product? Back in my day we had Homelands, and we lost our minds over that poo poo! Got so mad we only bought one booster box I tell you what.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Archenteron posted:

It usually only shows up on aquatic creatures, so it makes kinda sense. It dives beneath the water to dodge your spells and pops up on command to receive yours :krakken:

I got nothing on the Sphinxes hexproof, though.

If they wanted to keep aquatic creatures to make sense from a game mechanic standpoint, they should've kept Islandhome. :getin:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Slivers were always this goofy fun tribe that would occasionally see constructed tournament play (I was only ever familiar with Counter-Sliver back in Old Extended) that was hampered by its very demanding mana base. Hell, you wanna stop Counter-Sliver back in the day? Play four Wastelands and four Rishadan Ports, maybe even four Price of Progress if you're playing red as well. Chances were your maindeck was already running the Wastelands and Ports already.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

So good was Port that they banned it in Masques Block Constructed, back when people played Block Constructed I guess. Is that even still a thing anymore?

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Zurgo Dragonsmasher

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

I'm excited to see what the other past-Khans are like in the next set. Yasova Dragonclaw is basically an Alpine Grizzly that can Harness By Force a creature every combat, and I already want to play two or three of those in a Temur Aggro kind of deck. If that's what the green-centric one does, I can't imagine what the Mardu/red-centric one will be doing, and if it'll fit in my Mardu Aggro/Midrange deck.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

The combo deck is fun-looking but it is no match for Milquetoast Midrange.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Chill la Chill posted:

This was my first real deck and aside from counter spells it only had stasis and a single morphling. It was an awesome deck. :)

Similar to what I had for old Extended, only instead of Morphling I was using Chronatog.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Mardudes attacking Abzan alongside dragon. I like the lightning dragon; seems to tie into the thing about Tarkir's dragons being born from storms.

Based on that art, I hope that dragon is a Mardu bro that triggers Crackling Doom every combat.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

TurboStasis Pie: Tell your opponent he can eat his pie all he wants but he isn't allowed to chew. You just kinda stare at your pie.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

#NotYourBlocker

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Daretti's origin story is cool. One of his creations explodes and he gets his planeswalker spark in the process. But also he lost his legs in that explosion so he built himself a machine to move around the place, hence all those levers and cogs surrounding him.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

Maybe if he was white. But I mean, come on, getting to have robot legs is metal as hell.

I was curious to see if there was any artwork showing his robot legs and I didn't notice this page until just a moment ago searching:

http://magic.wizards.com/en/story/planeswalkers/daretti

:black101:

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Boxman posted:

So he's the badguy from Wild Wild West.

:geno:

Wild Wild West rules, I don't see what the problem is.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Let's see those Bloodsoaked Champions jump in price. :getin:

EDIT: nevermind :(

Mercury Crusader fucked around with this message at 16:21 on Nov 9, 2014

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

gang sines posted:

suicide was the answer back when phyrexian negator was still a good creature

rip suicide black, the most baller of aggro decks

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

He's just messing up some White Zombie lyrics is all.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

Way to make Tom Ross look like he's about 10 years old, guys.

Tom Ross looks like the dude from the movie Christine. Leather jacket, hair, etc.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

meanolmrcloud posted:

Abzan whip mirrors are so boring.

What do you mean, I love watching life totals swing back and forth until one guy can't lifelink anymore 30+ minutes later.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

Don't ban or unban any cards, reprint Hymn to Tourach.

• Locked thread