Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy
so then i read the first 4 chapters of the big book and chapter 4 is literally saying if you are an alcholic atheist you will die and that you need to get close to God to survive

okay guys time to have a chat about how you define whether or not something is religious imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
You should try Scientology it's all based on real science, you see

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
hail satan drink whiskey

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

good point and it even has most of the word science in the name

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
oh god I'm drunk

that's a good compromise imo

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

i am about to go to a meeting to support someone getting their 18 year sobriety chip

i am an atheist but i also call myself a nontheistic satanist because i love killing babies and support legislation that kills babies and also i am okay with gay people should i speak at this meeting tonight y/n

edit: also "hail satan" is really fun to say and regular atheism doesnt have any cool phrases

Cubone
May 26, 2011

Because it never leaves its bedroom, no one has ever seen this poster's real face.
jesus is weaksauce, people weith chemical dependency are gay as hell

Ocean Book
Sep 27, 2010

:yum: - hi
you dont have to believe an immaterial wizard exists to benefit from interacting with something you call god

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
How else am I supposed to deal with the crippling reality that there is nothing in this life?

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
honestly the only higher power is alcohol, and vodka is his prophet

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Ocean Book posted:

you dont have to believe an immaterial wizard exists to benefit from interacting with something you call god

to be fair this concept exists in the big book. however, everything directly afterwards 100% contradicts it.

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

But I want something good
to die for
To make it beautiful to live.
Yams Fan
I got kicked out of a few AA meetings in the deep south for refusing to admit that I was an alcoholic or that some bullshit higher power was the only thing that could help me. gently caress AA and the people who promote it forever. Everything about it is a drinking-specific christian cult, and not in the good Dionysus kind of way.

chaosbreather
Dec 9, 2001

Wry and wise,
but also very sexual.

i liked this thread better when it was a south park episode

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

also to basically paraphrase it is written kind of like

"yeah god can be a higher power whatever you want but lol if u don't believe in the christian god and here's why"

ChairmanMeow
Mar 1, 2008

Fire up the grill everyone eats tonight!
Lipstick Apathy

FordPRefectLL posted:

i am about to go to a meeting to support someone getting their 18 year sobriety chip

i am an atheist but i also call myself a nontheistic satanist because i love killing babies and support legislation that kills babies and also i am okay with gay people should i speak at this meeting tonight y/n

edit: also "hail satan" is really fun to say and regular atheism doesnt have any cool phrases

you should shut up and support your friend who has made this work for him for 18 years, why should you give a gently caress how he did it?
You can kill babies with a different set of friends on a different night.

ghlbtsk
Apr 19, 2005

these bath mats
are
GORGEOUS
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4txNz25Ht9o

swampland
Oct 16, 2007

Dear Mr Cave, if you do not release the bats we will be forced to take legal action

BLARGHLE posted:

I got kicked out of a few AA meetings in the deep south for refusing to admit that I was an alcoholic or that some bullshit higher power was the only thing that could help me. gently caress AA and the people who promote it forever. Everything about it is a drinking-specific christian cult, and not in the good Dionysus kind of way.

why are you going to aa meetings if your not an alcoholic

I Am A Robot
Jul 1, 2006

Ocean Book posted:

you don't have to believe in god to get the same benefits either

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Ocean Book posted:

true, that's what i call your mom's sopping wet pussy and it's been really good to me so far

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

swampland posted:

why are you going to aa meetings if your not an alcoholic

This was about 8 years ago. I made a stupid mistake, and the military's solution was to force me to join a cult.

Topographic Nap
Apr 22, 2007

BLARGHLE posted:

This was about 8 years ago. I made a stupid mistake, and the military's solution was to force me to join a cult.

The downside of don't ask don't tell was that a goon gets drunk and just assumes his comrade is down for a hide the salami sesh

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.
AA has a 95% recidivism rate. To put that in perspective people quitting cold turkey have a 91% recidivism rate. It is absolute garbage and the only reason why it's so popular is it's cheap.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

shiksa posted:

hail satan drink whiskey

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp

FordPRefectLL posted:

enough free coffee to fill a swimming pool

Shithouse Dave
Aug 5, 2007

each post manufactured to the highest specifications

Congratulations to your friend for beating the odds and good for you supporting him. I don't think AA could work for me though, I think I would really struggle with the idea of turning to something outside myself when my behaviours, thought processes and motivations all come from within myself.

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

MegaGatts posted:

AA has a 95% recidivism rate. To put that in perspective people quitting cold turkey have a 91% recidivism rate. It is absolute garbage and the only reason why it's so popular is it's cheap.

Theres also a lot of people who are there because the court ordered them to go, getting cards signed and all that

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com
i went to a party tonight to celebrate my sponsor's 35th anniversary. it was a good time, and i have a lot of cool people in my life as a result of the program. that said, i would trade all of it just to be able to drink again.

Zeno-25
Dec 5, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

shiksa posted:

hail satan drink whiskey

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

Cosmic Charlie posted:

Theres also a lot of people who are there because the court ordered them to go, getting cards signed and all that

this was me and pretty much all the young people lmfao

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

Frostwerks posted:

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005

Mein Eyes! posted:

honestly the only higher power is alcohol, and vodka is his prophet

Frostwerks
Sep 24, 2007

by Lowtax

id show up 20 minutes late and i think they only gave me poo poo about it once. but they still signed it. then id leave and go hang out at my buddys and smoke weed and drink beers

Cosmic Charlie
Apr 6, 2009

How do you do? Truckin' in style along the avenue

Frostwerks posted:

It was a really awkward class reunion down here

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

My sister had a pretty bad drinking problem. She had a DUI, lost her job for showing up to work drunk, was blacking out every night etc. She went to AA and could not handle all of the religious BS.
After that she went to a therapist who worked with her to get down to the root of cause of why she drank, and imagine this, the therapist didn't tell her to stop drinking completely, just to stop using it to cope.

My sister is now a much better person for it and enjoys a nice glass of wine when we go out to dinner.

Mumpy Puffinz
Aug 11, 2008
Nap Ghost

Wadjamaloo posted:

My sister had a pretty bad drinking problem. She had a DUI, lost her job for showing up to work drunk, was blacking out every night etc. She went to AA and could not handle all of the religious BS.
After that she went to a therapist who worked with her to get down to the root of cause of why she drank, and imagine this, the therapist didn't tell her to stop drinking completely, just to stop using it to cope.

My sister is now a much better person for it and enjoys a nice glass of wine when we go out to dinner.

What have you done? Your sister seemes OK.

Kazak_Hstan
Apr 28, 2014

Grimey Drawer
OP I think this is a cry for help maybe you should drink less?

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Hahaha they did the lord's prayer at the end what the gently caress

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Kazak_Hstan posted:

OP I think this is a cry for help maybe you should drink less?

I am 6 months sober on my own because my friend told me I needed AA and I wanted to spite her

BLARGHLE
Oct 2, 2013

to die for
Yams Fan

FordPRefectLL posted:

I am 6 months sober on my own because my friend told me I needed AA and I wanted to spite her

I would not be friends with somebody who would tell me this.

Like "Hey, maybe you should drink less", okay, but "you need AA"? gently caress off, oval office.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stick Figure Mafia
Dec 11, 2004

FordPRefectLL posted:

Your friend is trying to help you and you're a dick lol

• Locked thread