Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Costello Jello posted:

I've known alcoholics who drank so much that they only friends they had left were just drinking buddies, and alcoholics that couldn't handle being around any alcohol ever. And I've known more alcoholics that never got to that level for either. Every person is an individual and it's pretty dumb to condemn an organization that by definition of being an organization has scenarios to cover all bases.

But AA doesn't say that some people are like that and some aren't, they say that literally all alcoholics are like that, no exceptions and that they will always be that way. That's not only wrong, it's actively harmful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

I lust in my heart for as many dead refugees as possible.

Costello Jello posted:

I've known alcoholics who drank so much that they only friends they had left were just drinking buddies, and alcoholics that couldn't handle being around any alcohol ever. And I've known more alcoholics that never got to that level for either. Every person is an individual and it's pretty dumb to condemn an organization that by definition of being an organization has scenarios to cover all bases. Your friends aren't "doing AA wrong" by choosing the parts that are helpful to them. That's just stupid as hell.

I'm not the one who's saying they're doing it wrong, AA is. And I think telling people stuff like "if you stop coming to meetings you're going to relapse" is a lovely thing to do because when they inevitably start missing meetings or stop going entirely it's going to create guilt and anxiety that increases the chances of relapse regardless of whether that was true in the first place.

POWERBALL
Feb 16, 2012

by zen death robot
this thread is cool because the guy with the huge avatar of a dog wearing a crazy hat is talking about being an alcoholic

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

please tell me where i can date this cute boy

Jimbo Jaggins posted:

Do you not think going to meetings and discussing your alcoholism with other alcoholics as sort of mutual support group isn't in any way benficial?

support groups are beneficial. do they need to include god? probably not. do they need to tell the people who are in them that they will never get better and can only not get worse by always attending the support group? definitely not

c0ldfuse
Jun 18, 2004

The pursuit of excellence.
Holy poo poo there's a lot of callousness in this thread.

People who have serious problems are trying to fix their lives, who gives a gently caress about their methodology.

Edit:

SniperWoreConverse posted:

my deranged neighbor is real big into AA cause he started drinking when he was 11 or what the hell ever....
Think about how bad he is now and imagine the same neighbor drinking. I surmise you're better off with him sober.

c0ldfuse fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Sep 29, 2014

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

c0ldfuse posted:

People who have serious problems are trying to fix their lives, who gives a gently caress about their methodology.

because nothing bad ever comes from trying to fix problems in a stupid way, right

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

c0ldfuse posted:

Edit:

Think about how bad he is now and imagine the same neighbor drinking. I surmise you're better off with him sober.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_psychology

glad we didnt ever criticize anyones techniques for treating disorders

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

c0ldfuse posted:

Because some methods are absolutely atrocious. The concept of AA is fine, alcoholics working together to create a support network to help one another is a good idea, but it's needs to be supplemented with ways that actually cure the addicts instead of dehumanizing them and telling them that they are worthless and incapable of being cured.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

ill be honest when i first stopped drinking i did go to aa meetings, over 100 consecutive days i went to meetings, then i tapered off somewhat but it was fist and foremost in my mind, "I AM AN ALCOHOLIC" and what do you know, it became part of my identity and a few years of white knuckling later i started drinking again.

now im 9 months sober with no aa meetings and what do you know, i dont think about it that much because im certain it drove me to drink last time

Izumi Konata
May 4, 2012

by Ralp
trip report:

wasn't an alcoholic for a week or so before participating in catholic mass and partaking of the blood and body of christ. i relapsed after eating the eucharist, when i imbibed of the chalice, and was immediately born again and transmutated into a wino.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005

im pooping! posted:

ill be honest when i first stopped drinking i did go to aa meetings, over 100 consecutive days i went to meetings, then i tapered off somewhat but it was fist and foremost in my mind, "I AM AN ALCOHOLIC" and what do you know, it became part of my identity and a few years of white knuckling later i started drinking again.

now im 9 months sober with no aa meetings and what do you know, i dont think about it that much because im certain it drove me to drink last time

you aren't the only one with that experience

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

Can't bust the Krust fuckman
www.skullmund.com

Who What Now posted:

But AA doesn't say that some people are like that and some aren't, they say that literally all alcoholics are like that, no exceptions and that they will always be that way. That's not only wrong, it's actively harmful.
That's simply not true. You sure have a lot of misconceptions about AA!

Sasquatch!
Nov 18, 2000

Have you ever found yourself sandwiched in between Meatloaf's big bitch tits?

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

Kleen_TheRowdyDog posted:

That's simply not true. You sure have a lot of misconceptions about AA!

Yes, I know that you have the one magical AA that never does anything wrong, but maybe not all AAs are like yours. In fact, it's likely that most of them aren't.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

Thug Lessons posted:

It's cool but also AA has a lot of stupid crap. Not even religion but weird untested beliefs about alcoholism. Peace.

I've taken the time to pull some quotes from AA's only consistent element - the book "Alcoholics Anonymous" - to refute each of your claims.

Thug Lessons posted:

There's a ton but people will tell you stuff like "alcoholics don't have any friends, they just have drinking buddies".
"If you are with a person who wants to eat in a bar, by all means go along. Let your friends know they are not to change their habits on your account. At a proper time and place explain to all your friends why alcohol disagrees with you. If you do this thoroughly, few people will ask you to drink. While you were drinking, you were withdrawing from life little by little. Now you are getting back into the social life of this world. Don’t start to withdraw again just because your friends drink liquor." (p.102)

Thug Lessons posted:

Also it's impossible to stay sober if you don't keep going AA, people who claim otherwise are just "dry drunks" who will inevitably relapse.
"We, of ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, know thousands of men and women who were once just as hopeless as Bill. Nearly all have recovered. They have solved the drink problem." (p. 17)

"We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience." (p.84-85)

Thug Lessons posted:

And you really shouldn't be around alcohol period because it's too tempting for any alcoholic to resist.
"People have said we must not go where liquor is served; we must not have it in our homes; we must shun friends who drink; we must avoid moving pictures which show drinking scenes; we must not go into bars; our friends must hide their bottles if we go to their houses; we mustn’t think or be reminded about alcohol at all. Our experience shows that this is not necessarily so ... In our belief any scheme of combating alcoholism which proposes to shield the sick man from temptation is doomed to failure. If the alcoholic tries to shield himself he may succeed for a time, but usually winds up with a bigger explosion than ever. We have tried these methods. These attempts to do the impossible have always failed. So our rule is not to avoid a place where there is drinking, if we have a legitimate reason for being there. That includes bars, nightclubs, dances, receptions, weddings, even plain ordinary whoopee parties. To a person who has had experience with an alcoholic, this may seem like tempting Providence, but it isn’t." (p.100-101)

"Many of us keep liquor in our homes...Some of us still serve it to our friends provided they are not alcoholic...We feel that each family, in the light of their own circumstances, ought to decide for themselves.
We are careful never to show intolerance or hatred of drinking as an institution. Experience shows that such an attitude is not helpful to anyone." (p.102-03)

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
whats aa

Spider Helidon
Nov 4, 2010

by XyloJW
This is my first day of trying to do something about the alcohol addiction that caused me to lose my job a few days ago, and I'm really sketchy about AA. I'm going to see a GP tomorrow so I can hopefully get a referral to some kind of counselling, so I guess I'll see how that works out. Working in bars for eight years is a great way to have your drinking problem spiral out of control.

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

the good thing about the big book is that you can probably go to the location of each and every one of those quotes and read the subsequent paragraphs and watch the book completely contradict the quote

Big Bowie Bonanza
Dec 30, 2007

Spider Helidon posted:

This is my first day of trying to do something about the alcohol addiction that caused me to lose my job a few days ago, and I'm really sketchy about AA. I'm going to see a GP tomorrow so I can hopefully get a referral to some kind of counselling, so I guess I'll see how that works out. Working in bars for eight years is a great way to have your drinking problem spiral out of control.

ask about rational recovery

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

Who What Now posted:

Yes, I know that you have the one magical AA that never does anything wrong, but maybe not all AAs are like yours. In fact, it's likely that most of them aren't.
No, there is a lot of bullshit in AA, but you simply haven't properly identified any of it. Rather, you're talking out of your rear end with this kind of smug confidence that is completely unfounded.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The first two don't refute a drat thing, but the last is pretty convincing (though I still heard that). Of course if you're going by the Big Book you should also concede that AA is a fundamentally religious organization.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

Thug Lessons posted:

The first two don't refute a drat thing, but the last is pretty convincing (though I still heard that). Of course if you're going by the Big Book you should also concede that AA is a fundamentally religious organization.
The first talks about how its fine to hang with your old FRIENDS who still drink, negating your claim that AA says alcoholics don't have non-sober friends, they simply had drinking buddies.

The second is basically support for the assertion that at a certain point in your recovery you no longer have to fear drinking. Common knowledge in the program is that once you get to that point, the only reason you go to meetings is to try to help the newcomer - but you don't need to go to meetings to stay sober. There are tons of guys in my community with long term sobriety that maybe go to 1 or 2 meetings a month. Many more still just show up on their anniversary to get a chip. Others just stop going to meetings altogether and stay sober.

Kleen_TheRacistDog fucked around with this message at 02:03 on Sep 29, 2014

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

sweet thread op good job

Thug Lessons
Dec 14, 2006

The first talks about how its fine to hang with your old FRIENDS who still drink, negating your claim that AA says alcoholics don't have non-sober friends, they simply had drinking buddies.

The second is basically support for the assertion that at a certain point in your recovery you no longer have to fear drinking. Common knowledge in the program is that once you get to that point, the only reason you go to meetings is to try to help the newcomer - but you don't need to go to meetings to stay sober.

First talks about the possibility of non-alcoholic friends but doesn't say a thing about your current friends being okay, the second doesn't say anything about whether it's alright to quit the program. Now talk about the part of the Big Book that explains how many AA members used to be atheists and agnostics until Bill W. converted them to Christianity.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

"We, of ALCOHOLICS ANONYMOUS, know thousands of men and women who were once just as hopeless as Bill. Nearly all have recovered. They have solved the drink problem." (p. 17)

If by all they mean around 5%, then yeah, I'd say that's accurate.

No, there is a lot of bullshit in AA, but you simply haven't properly identified any of it. Rather, you're talking out of your rear end with this kind of smug confidence that is completely unfounded.

Man, you should have told me that you were a goon when you went to the exact same meeting I did. I mean, how else would you know what I experienced the time I went to one?

KierkegaardsHo
Mar 21, 2004

I dunno, I think AA is a pretty decent place. Sure, I've been to plenty of meetings where people are all "If you don't give your life completely over to GOD, you are sure to die!" and I hear stories sometimes that are along the lines of "Yeah, I was driving down the street the other day on my way somewhere, and I thought, 'Gosh, I'm hungry! I'll go through this drive-through." and when I came out a fatal accident occurred right where I was! That was GOD sparing my life!" and all sorts of nonsense. Oh, I especially like the ones that are like, "Yeah, and I should be dead, except GOD obviously had other plans for me. HE saved my life!" Which is kinda hosed up, really, because I guess god wasn't too worried about all of the people who did die.

There's no doubt that AA has religious roots, having come out of the Oxford Group, which was specifically a Christian organization. But like other people have said, the core of it is pretty much just people who have had similar experiences helping one another. Believe it or not, there are meetings where god isn't brought up as the topic every single time.

For me, it's pretty much just about living according to your conscience. Going out of your way to help others seems like a lot more of a worthy activity than getting down on your knees and praying each morning. If you're being decent and generally helping to meet the unfulfilled needs of others, I don't see how anyone can knock you for it. When people try to preach to me, I kinda just nod and say, "Well, if that works for you, keep it up."

I dunno, I seem to be doing OK.

Sasquatch! posted:

Have you ever found yourself sandwiched in between Meatloaf's big bitch tits?

Also, they say keep coming back, and the hope of this happening to me is p much what keeps me coming back

Slush Garbo
Nov 20, 2007

FALSE SLACK
is
BETTER
than
NO SLACK

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
aa is for quitting pussies

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

AA is a social club where alcoholics can go and hang out with people who will tell them it's not their fault. And then they go off to a lovely motel to gently caress, leaving their husband and 6 year old child at home. But hey, it's cool.

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

praxis posted:

AA is a social club where alcoholics can go and hang out with people who will tell them it's not their fault.
Wrong:

"Selfishness - self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles...our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so." (p.62)

AA is all about taking personal responsibility for one's actions.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
really the important thing to remember is that drinking a beer in the car is just a misdemeanor, like speeding. It doesn't really matter at all

what matters is if you're drunk and, if so, then what does the open container matter? Not at all

that's important to understand fyi

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Wrong:

"Selfishness - self-centeredness! That, we think, is the root of our troubles...our troubles, we think, are basically of our own making. They arise out of ourselves, and the alcoholic is an extreme example of self-will run riot, though he usually doesn't think so." (p.62)

Yeah, sure. What AA says it's about and what its members do aren't always the same thing. There's a reason the term "13th Step" exists.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't have a problem with AA but I was court ordered to go to it for a few meetings after getting caught with weed once and that seemed pretty dumb to me and I felt ridiculously out of place at AA.

KierkegaardsHo
Mar 21, 2004

Wrong:

I dunno if quoting the big book is going to have much effect here. It seems like if people hate AA, maybe we could just work more on acting better. Attraction rather than promotion and all that.

Larry Parrish
Jul 9, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

n0n0 posted:

In the early days of AA, there was a lot of controversy between members who were Christian, and members who were not Christian. That's why the Big Book, and the steps, sometimes references God and sometimes references a Higher Power and sometimes references generic spiritual principles. It's the same way today.

There are some members who are Christian and who use the 12-step model to slowly and methodically help people to discover the "one true God," and then there are people like me who, whenever we get the chance, let everybody know that it isn't necessary to become a Christian in order to have a spiritual experience. In fact, it might actually be counter-indicated, since the Big Book itself, and the founding members of AA, had all tried religion and found that it wasn't sufficient to help them get sober. Instead, what they found to be helpful was trying to help other drunks. That's the really important part.

I've known recovering alcoholics who are atheist, Buddhist, Muslim, Hindu, all sorts of "pagan," generically spiritual, new age... whatever. AA is not a religious organization. Some members of AA think it is, but they're flat wrong, and I let them know it at every chance I get.

did you take a wrong turn?

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

praxis posted:

Yeah, sure. What AA says it's about and what its members do aren't always the same thing. There's a reason the term "13th Step" exists.
Perhaps you should hang out with less sleazy/white trash members.

My entire circle of AA friends consists of doctors, lawyers, college professors, and other professionals with long-term sobriety who are in committed, loving, monogamous relationships. :)

Kleen_TheRacistDog
Feb 17, 2014

www.skullmund.com

KierkegaardsHo posted:

I dunno if quoting the big book is going to have much effect here. It seems like if people hate AA, maybe we could just work more on acting better. Attraction rather than promotion and all that.
The point of quoting the big book is to refute these claims that "AA says this" and "AA says that". The only thing that "AA says" is in its conference approved literature. Everything else you hear white trash losers say at meetings is not AA - it's the opinions of retards.

praxis
Aug 1, 2003

Perhaps you should hang out with less sleazy/white trash members.

My entire circle of AA friends consists of doctors, lawyers, college professors, and other professionals with long-term sobriety who are in committed, loving, monogamous relationships. :)
And that's awesome. I'm genuinely happy for you and your circle. I thought that's what all AA meetings would be like when I first got involved in it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
how is it anonymous when you're there in person

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I went to AA in Riverside which was... not a good look.

• Locked thread