Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Football?
This poll is closed.
A harsh mistress 26 18.06%
A hate-verse allergic to love 14 9.72%
A flayer of souls 28 19.44%
A wait at the DMV that ends with a surly attendant telling you that you don't have the right documents 76 52.78%
Total: 144 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

LLCoolJD posted:

Oklahoma has proven itself time and again at the top levels of competition.

This is petty, but you're referring to a team that lost convincingly to a Case McCoy-led Texas and got throttled by that same Baylor squad a year after losing to KSU and an overrated ND on their home field before getting embarassed by an admittedly very good Aggie squad?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

LLCoolJD posted:

Oklahoma has proven itself time and again at the top levels of competition. When Baylor went to the BCS last season, they let UCF hang 52 points on them in a loss. They're good, but I'm not yet convinced that they're at the very top.

Teams aren't exactly the same every year and can improve. What Oklahoma has done in past seasons doesn't matter this season. UCF was also a very good team last year and might have been able to beat Oklahoma.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

Thermos H Christ posted:

Haha this Texas team is so bad that losing to us is unacceptable at Kansas

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!

Spiritus Nox posted:

This is petty, but you're referring to a team that lost convincingly to a Case McCoy-led Texas and got throttled by that same Baylor squad a year after losing to KSU and an overrated ND on their home field before getting embarassed by an admittedly very good Aggie squad?

Last year's squad was a 9-4 team that just happened to go 11-2.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Numlock posted:

Iowa and Kansas should form a frat like club for Big XII losers and go on wacky hijinks

Agenda:

1) Kick out Baylor
2) Haze new pledges Tech and Texas.

I'm down for joining the Big XII

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
READING COMPREHENSION IS HARD

Spiritus Nox posted:

Lose to Case McCoy, beat Alabama.

Bob Stoops is a mystery.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

MourningView posted:

I'm down for joining the Big XII

We'd happily accept you. Having State and Iowa not in the same conference confused my parents when I was talking football with them, which I found really funny. Mind you, you'd have to give up the conservative offense and funsling with the rest of the conference, but these adjustments can be made.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

Probably Magic posted:

We'd happily accept you. Having State and Iowa not in the same conference confused my parents when I was talking football with them, which I found really funny. Mind you, you'd have to give up the conservative offense and funsling with the rest of the conference, but these adjustments can be made.

My Californian girlfriend half watched the Iowa game with me while we were at brunch, knew they won, and then later when I put ISU on for a bit was confused as gently caress as to how Iowa was playing again.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
Jesus christ I really wish that national title game would have been a little closer for ND. The number of people who think the team was garbage because of that bad loss is obnoxious.

Baylor would have gotten destroyed too. There's like 3 teams that could have hung around against that Bama team. They already played them in conference.

Spacebump
Dec 24, 2003

Dallas Mavericks: Generations

Fussy Dutchman posted:

Jesus christ I really wish that national title game would have been a little closer for ND. The number of people who think the team was garbage because of that bad loss is obnoxious.

Baylor would have gotten destroyed too. There's like 3 teams that could have hung around against that Bama team. They already played them in conference.

If you can't hang with your opponent in the NCG, you probably don't belong there.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Fussy Dutchman posted:

So what you're saying is... the four best college football teams were in the SEC?

I think you might be on to something here.

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006

Fussy Dutchman posted:

lol ND had no point being in that game

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

Mark May might be a shill

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

Fussy Dutchman posted:

ND was in there by virtue of not losing, and a lot of the reasons they didn't lose some of those games came down to effectively dumb luck.

It's like the opposite of the Detroit Lions' 2008 winless seasons - they really weren't *that* much worse than a lot of the teams that year, they just had luck go a certain way.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mark May might be a shill

Trolling Florida State fans so hard

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008
I guess I'm sorry ND didn't lose a game until then.

Fussy Dutchman
Jul 29, 2008

computer parts posted:

ND was in there by virtue of not losing, and a lot of the reasons they didn't lose some of those games came down to effectively dumb luck.

It's like the opposite of the Detroit Lions' 2008 winless seasons - they really weren't *that* much worse than a lot of the teams that year, they just had luck go a certain way.

There's no denying this. They definitely had a few bounces break their way but that's the truth with a lot of undefeated teams, like Auburn last year.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

PostNouveau posted:

Trolling Florida State fans so hard

Meh. Its more the 4 teams from the SEC west, as if Oregon and Oklahoma are only there begrudgingly because miss state and auburn have to lose at some point to tamu and Alabama.

But ya, I have fsu friends getting pretty bothered by it. We're rollin on 2 years without a loss though so its hard to be too grumpy about it.

pillsburysoldier fucked around with this message at 18:45 on Sep 28, 2014

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

pillsburysoldier posted:

Mark May might be an shill idiot

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Mark May is a troll. ESPN is paying him to do and say controversial things.

The playoffs don't actually matter until the season is nearly over. This is just ESPN's usual hype machine at work.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

Seems obvious to me that Georgia should use Todd Gurley at QB and probably DB and judging by this postgame interview

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxOcLjPGnZ4

where Todd admits that he eventually had to tell Mike Bobo what plays to call, Todd should just be OC too.

Thermos H Christ
Sep 6, 2007

WINNINGEST BEVO
Yes, let's have one of the TWO total playoff games be a rematch between SEC West teams. Maybe let's get 3 of them in the playoff so we have a shot at 2 rematches before it's all said and done.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

So Baylor fans have been making photoshops of Petty hurtling that ISU defender from last night, and some of them, uh...

...come out a little unfortunate.

fffff
Feb 11, 2014
Roll Tide :dance:

gently caress Noles forever.

(I'm so glad Bama didn't play this week)

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble
Shai McKenzie confirms his ACL is torn again, out for the season. It's now the Marshawn Williams show at Virginia Tech for the rest of the season (with bonus guest appearances by Trey Edmunds/Joel Caleb/J.C. Coleman)

Hed
Mar 31, 2004

Fun Shoe

every posted:

Other forums talking about playoff chances for a 1-loss Mizzou.

1-loss Mizzou.

This is laughable but I'm down with it just for the ensuing

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?

go3 posted:

lol ND had no point being in that game

They get thumped so it looks lovely in hindsight but prior to that game no one had a better resume. They played a similar schedule to the other contenders and didn't lose.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Alabama proving once again that the only winning move is to not play.

anne frank fanfic
Oct 31, 2005

Thoguh posted:

My hangover is as bad as our loss to Baylor.

I thought you guys played well and had really good fans. No one left early, they kept cheering til the end and sparked that Iowa State run in the 2nd half. Also, your coach didn't give up like a bitch and kept calling onsides kicks and stuff that I'm always confused when other teams don't do when they're down 3-4 TDs or whatever.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

anne frank fanfic posted:

I thought you guys played well and had really good fans. No one left early, they kept cheering til the end and sparked that Iowa State run in the 2nd half. Also, your coach didn't give up like a bitch and kept calling onsides kicks and stuff that I'm always confused when other teams don't do when they're down 3-4 TDs or whatever.

I think ISU's pretty solid this year, really - though despite Texas convincing the media otherwise, the rest of the league is pretty solid too, so wins still won't be easy to find. They've got a non-con game coming up to get them to two wins, then they'll probably beat Kansas, but it's all upsets from there. Wins over Texas Tech and West Virginia wouldn't shock me in Ames, but after that their best chances are probably at a good Okie Lite and a Texas team that will outmuscle them even worse than we did.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice
AP Poll

code:
1.  Florida State (27)
2.  Oregon (13)
3.  Alabama (13)
4.  Oklahoma (7)
5.  Auburn
6.  Texas A&M
7.  Baylor
8.  UCLA
9.  Notre Dame
10. Michigan State
11. Ole Miss
12. Mississippi State
13. Georgia
14. Stanford
15. LSU
16. USC
17. Wisconsin
18. BYU
19. Nebraska
20. Ohio State
21. Oklahoma State
22. East Carolina
23. Kansas State
24. Missouri
25. TCU

LLCoolJD
Dec 8, 2007

Musk threatens the inorganic promotion of left-wing ideology that had been taking place on the platform

Block me for being an unironic DeSantis fan, too!

Fussy Dutchman posted:

They weren't garbage but they clearly weren't even in the same league as Alabama. When Eddie Lacy trampled through the linebackers it was clear things were going to get ugly. Problem is, they had the best resume heading into the game, so I can't think of who else deserved to go.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Thoguh posted:

AP Poll

code:
1.  Florida State (27)
2.  Oregon (13)
3.  Alabama (13)
4.  Oklahoma (7)
5.  Auburn
6.  Texas A&M
7.  Baylor
8.  UCLA
9.  Notre Dame
10. Michigan State
11. Ole Miss
12. Mississippi State
13. Georgia
14. Stanford
15. LSU
16. USC
17. Wisconsin
18. BYU
19. Nebraska
20. Ohio State
21. Oklahoma State
22. East Carolina
23. Kansas State
24. Missouri
25. TCU

Others Receiving Votes:
Arizona State (3-1) 97;
South Carolina (3-2) 61;
Clemson (2-2) 52;
Arizona (4-0) 43;
Marshall (4-0) 40;
Georgia Tech (4-0) 37;
West Virginia (2-2) 24;
Arkansas (3-2) 18;
Maryland (4-1) 5;
Louisville (4-1) 4;
North Dakota State (4-0) 3;
Washington (4-1) 2;
North Carolina State (4-1) 1;
Virginia (3-2) 1

Frinkahedron
Jul 26, 2006

Gobble Gobble

Pakled posted:

Others Receiving Votes:
Arizona State (3-1) 97;
South Carolina (3-2) 61;
Clemson (2-2) 52;
Arizona (4-0) 43;
Marshall (4-0) 40;
Georgia Tech (4-0) 37;
West Virginia (2-2) 24;
Arkansas (3-2) 18;
Maryland (4-1) 5;
Louisville (4-1) 4;
North Dakota State (4-0) 3;
Washington (4-1) 2;
North Carolina State (4-1) 1;
Virginia (3-2) 1

UVA GOT A VOTE

RumbleFish
Dec 20, 2007

Seems weird to put Missouri in the Top 25 if losing to them was so bad we fell out completely, but oh well. We're not a Top 25 team regardless, so that's just splitting hairs at this point.

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer

RumbleFish posted:

Seems weird to put Missouri in the Top 25 if losing to them was so bad we fell out completely, but oh well. We're not a Top 25 team regardless, so that's just splitting hairs at this point.

Seems weird putting Missouri in the Top 25 if they lost to Indiana.

xbilkis
Apr 11, 2005

god qb
me
jay hova
Missouri lost to Indiana at home and is ranked a week later. Thank god for the move to the SEC

Zoran
Aug 19, 2008

I lost to you once, monster. I shall not lose again! Die now, that our future can live!
You see, they just beat a good SEC team, and that's why they're ranked. Don't mind what happened to the team they beat.

Thoguh
Nov 8, 2002

College Slice

Spiritus Nox posted:

I think ISU's pretty solid this year, really - though despite Texas convincing the media otherwise, the rest of the league is pretty solid too, so wins still won't be easy to find. They've got a non-con game coming up to get them to two wins, then they'll probably beat Kansas, but it's all upsets from there. Wins over Texas Tech and West Virginia wouldn't shock me in Ames, but after that their best chances are probably at a good Okie Lite and a Texas team that will outmuscle them even worse than we did.

I dunno that a win over Tech would be an upset at this point. They're real bad. Same for Texas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proud Christian Mom
Dec 20, 2006
Im honestly shocked South Carolina is unranked after losing only to SEC teams

• Locked thread