Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Schweinhund posted:

didn't know he made guitars

Who?

On a tangent, Brian May from Queen does build his own guitars which is p cool

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BigBoss
Jan 26, 2012

by Lowtax
I'm not really into Floyd but the fact there's a laser Floyd show travelling the country in the year 2014 and people still pay to see it is hilarious.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

BigBoss posted:

I'm not really into Floyd but the fact there's a laser Floyd show travelling the country in the year 2014 and people still pay to see it is hilarious.

They're probably using lasers from 2014 tho...which I assume are much more badass and exciting

Sir Nose
Mar 28, 2009

Hungry Joe posted:

They're probably using lasers from 2014 tho...which I assume are much more badass and exciting

I gotta say that the lasers I saw at Floyd shows in the late 80s and early 90s were pretty badass and exciting, even by today's standards... Certainly a lot more badass and exciting than the music was.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring
Curious what people itt consider good music

Brittney Spears?

One Direction?

Kanye West?

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Someone in this thread please explain to me what is "prog rock" so I can sound informed about it at parties TIA

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

1gnoirents posted:

I kid, plus this one hot girl I knew loved it a lot even though you'd probably pin her as a ke$ha type. so i hosed to a lot of pink floyd blasting which was weird, made me think "was I actually concieved this way?"

i also never used a condom because we were always literally high and drunk as gently caress

that sounds cool why didn't you marry her? My nice stable gf doesn't listen to any cool music when we get at it. I'm the wierdo that's gotta put on type o negative

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

Someone in this thread please explain to me what is "prog rock" so I can sound informed about it at parties TIA

Rush and Tool for starters I think. I'm sure I can be pedant'ed into being wrong. Math and weird time signatures from that. Instead of 4/4 its like 5/4 or 7/16 or 9/16 or whatever.

Luvcow
Jul 1, 2007

One day nearer spring

KoRMaK posted:

Rush and Tool for starters I think. I'm sure I can be pedant'ed into being wrong. Math and weird time signatures from that. Instead of 4/4 its like 5/4 or 7/16 or 9/16 or whatever.

Yes, the band

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)

EAB posted:

Hey everyone, did you know OP is a sex haver, not sure if he has made it clear yet

I too, am also a sex haver

I could be lying you moron

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

Luvcow posted:

Yes, the band
Oh hey dude! Hows that lovely basic DnD thread goin? I lost track of it.

Roy
Sep 24, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

Music with weird 90's album covers played by guys with long hair

i.e:

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUXBCdt5IPg&t=258s Prog beat

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

lol anytime a thread I make goes past a page I almost never read it. does this make me a bad person

Danger
Jan 4, 2004

all desire - the thirst for oil, war, religious salvation - needs to be understood according to what he calls 'the demonogrammatical decoding of the Earth's body'
Animals and Meddle are still legit.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Harime Nui posted:

If it's got pretentious lyrics based on sci-fi and/or fantasy and the songs are 15+ minutes long and feature lots of really complicated solos then it's probably prog.

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Luvcow posted:

Brittney Spears?

One Direction?

Kanye West?

My top favorites:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-soul
Radiohead

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

KoRMaK posted:

Yes is really the beginner's prog rock band.

Please for the love of God never listen to Tool

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

facebook jihad posted:

Why not? They're all extremely talented musicians?

e: I'm Ron Burgandy?

Hungry Joe fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 30, 2014

TEAYCHES
Jun 23, 2002

is emerson lake and palmer prog rock

Flyball
Apr 17, 2003

FreudianSlippers posted:

If it's got pretentious lyrics based on sci-fi and/or fantasy and the songs are 15+ minutes long and feature lots of really complicated solos then it's probably prog.
or no lyrics at all, which is a great feature for any type of music.

THS posted:

is emerson lake and palmer prog rock
Absolutely.

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Hungry Joe posted:

My top favorites:

Red Hot Chili Peppers
Kendrick Lamar
Ab-soul
Radiohead

Christ you people have horrible taste in noises.

KoRMaK
Jul 31, 2012

facebook jihad posted:

Sorry that your tool fan friends are all into steampunk now, but mine have always been cool and never into lame poo poo.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Seriously gently caress you op

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.
aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
I can listen to the entirety of the wall in the time it takes me to mow my lawn, weedeat, and blow off the driveway side walks and patios. It's almost perfect timing.

So that's just one reason among many that pink Floyd, waters, and the wall all own and the op is a moron

e: to be fair though I listened to cypress hill on spotify tonight, can't overdo a good thing

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

i feel like i should clarify that there was a thread called "Speaking of dad music: pink floyd" because i really dont think pink floyd is bad music

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

I am a dad

And I like music

Hungry Joe
Nov 27, 2006

DDFH

Fog Tripper posted:

Christ you people have horrible taste in noises.

Lol if you think your opinions are universal truths

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
my best pink floyd moment was when i was on a bus in west yorkshire

some really loving depressed looking bald man got on with his wife+kids. he turns on a lovely pocket tape recorder that plays comfortably numb out of its tinny speaker and just sits staring into space looking like poo poo. then his kid tells him to "turn that noise off" and he just does it

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

Harime Nui posted:

trick question, no gathering where prog rock is discussed is a party

I Might Be Adam
Jun 12, 2007

Skip the Waves, Syncopate
Forwards Backwards

Abandon posted:

my best pink floyd moment was when i was on a bus in west yorkshire

some really loving depressed looking bald man got on with his wife+kids. he turns on a lovely pocket tape recorder that plays comfortably numb out of its tinny speaker and just sits staring into space looking like poo poo. then his kid tells him to "turn that noise off" and he just does it

That's sad as gently caress.

Abandon
Nov 23, 2006
i know right, ive never seen a man so undisguisedly defeated by life

I Pledge The Legence
Sep 18, 2009

Gleaming the Cube
my favourite floyd album is "best of" because nobody really needs to hear the rest.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Obscuritatem posted:

my favourite floyd album is "best of" because nobody really needs to hear the rest.

The Echoes greatest hits was kind of bullshit because they edited some of the songs. But really looking back on it it was a good selection of the stuff you need to hear to have a general sense of the band's output on the whole.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

I Might Be Adam posted:

The Wall is/was terrible and I just don't understand the continuing obsession with it among younger/new listeners considering the other options available in the PF catalog. Must be the readily available graphic tees and blacklight posters available from kooky stores at the mall that sell sexy birthday cards and lava lamps.

its because its a great album.

opus111
Jul 6, 2014

facebook jihad posted:

Why? Tool are a great band,

El Destructo
Jul 28, 2004

The football is in my path.
In 12 seconds' time she pulls
it away. I'm already lying there, 12 seconds into the future.

FreudianSlippers posted:

And if that 15-minute song has several different sections-- a multi-part suite, if you will-- with classical instruments like flutes, harpsichords, church organs or spacey Moog poo poo, you're definitely listening to prog. And it is awesome.

Exhibit A: King Crimson.

El Destructo fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 2, 2014

Mixodorian
Jan 26, 2009

Luvcow posted:

Brittney Spears?

One Direction?

Kanye West?

If i had to pick between kanye and pink floyd and never hearing the other again, id deffo pick kanye.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NiceGuy
Dec 13, 2006

This is my BOOMSTICK
College Slice

Mixodorian posted:

If i had to pick between kanye and pink floyd and never hearing the other again, id deffo pick kanye.

you're a loving retard bro lol

edit: sorry that was harsh but you're still real dumb

• Locked thread