Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT is boring. It's best when you can come up with stuff on top of that to make it better. Like being crazy.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, this story is entirely too dark for Baby Bowser showing up and running around in circles until we're dizzy.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, BEEP BOOP I AM ROBOT is boring. It's best when you can come up with stuff on top of that to make it better. Like being crazy.

:allears::allears:

Glazius posted:

Man, this story is entirely too dark for Baby Bowser showing up and running around in circles until we're dizzy.

I think my favorite part about how dark the story gets is that we haven't gotten very far from the introduction and it's already pretty grim.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Is the first song of the new area in any other game before this one? I honestly can't remember.

notoriousman
Nov 18, 2007

I'M AWARE I'M
AN IDIOT
Yoshi's Island, actually; it's the title sequence.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

notoriousman posted:

Yoshi's Island, actually; it's the title sequence.

Ah, that's probably why I've never heard it before then, I never actually stay on the title screen that long. Someone told me it was the world 6 map theme but I don't know what they're talking about. :shrug:

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I like your new avatar.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

One thing that seems to be removed for this game are the "Incorrect Mario Brother Animations" that Superstar Saga had. Like, with the water spout thing, if you tried that with Luigi, he'd just barf up the water. Although, I will say I like that they slightly improved it here; you get to not only see how many water shots you have, but you can also control how much you load up. It's a nice improvement to a returning mechanic.

Also, I will miss your Hector avatar, ChaosArgate.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

AradoBalanga posted:

One thing that seems to be removed for this game are the "Incorrect Mario Brother Animations" that Superstar Saga had. Like, with the water spout thing, if you tried that with Luigi, he'd just barf up the water. Although, I will say I like that they slightly improved it here; you get to not only see how many water shots you have, but you can also control how much you load up. It's a nice improvement to a returning mechanic.

Also, I will miss your Hector avatar, ChaosArgate.

Yeah, since you can't change the leader anymore there's no reason to do things like that. Luigi can't even be the one in the front anymore so that's gone entirely.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

It's not a 6 thousand word essay, but when you find kamek in bowser jrs castle, they commented on kidnapping baby luigi in yoshi's island.

"Disregard saving world, fight over cookies" is the best reason for a dungeon ever.

VVVVV
woohoo, that makes my explanation 6760 words shorter!

FoolyCharged fucked around with this message at 00:11 on Nov 3, 2014

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

FoolyCharged posted:

It's not a 6 thousand word essay

6786 words :smugbert:

Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

RareAcumen posted:

Yeah, since you can't change the leader anymore there's no reason to do things like that. Luigi can't even be the one in the front anymore so that's gone entirely.

It does seem weird that they took out switching leaders in the later games. It would be such a simple way to account for new Bros Moves and puzzle possibilities.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Geostomp posted:

It does seem weird that they took out switching leaders in the later games. It would be such a simple way to account for new Bros Moves and puzzle possibilities.

I might be a bit of a purist in that I much preferred the first game's special attacks to Inside Story and Partners in Time. Bros. attacks still seem way better than just items and items/minions that for some reason cost special points still.

Also, I'm a bit miffed that they went 3-d with the latest one too.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Bowser's special moves were amazing, come on.
And yeah Bros. Attacks are really the best incarnation of M&L specials.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Bowser's special moves were amazing, come on.
And yeah Bros. Attacks are really the best incarnation of M&L specials.

As much as I like Bros. Attacks from SSS, I think the Special Attacks and Bros. Attacks in Dream Team were better because of how creative they could be for combining Mario and Luigi for attacks.

Here's today's update, in which we fight a little mini boss.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Off the top of my head, the only nods to Partners in Time in Brawl were the aforementioned song, and a couple of stickers such as Mario and Luigi with their baby versions (i.e., one adult + one baby), Stuffwell and Shroobs. Don't recall if there are any trophies based on stuff from this game, though.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
You only need to hit the Smash Eggs twice with the babies before you kick it into an enemy. The damage for each kick caps pretty fast.

AradoBalanga posted:

Off the top of my head, the only nods to Partners in Time in Brawl were the aforementioned song, and a couple of stickers such as Mario and Luigi with their baby versions (i.e., one adult + one baby), Stuffwell and Shroobs. Don't recall if there are any trophies based on stuff from this game, though.

There weren't.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice

Jobbo Fett, in the video posted:

I wanna see Bowser piledrive someone through the ring.

Boy have I got a show for you. (Well okay he doesn't put anyone through the ring here but that's not important)

Back on topic though, as I've said before, I played this game all the way through, and even less than everything else, I just do not remember Yoshi's Island. I do not remember the whole deal with the cookies. I think I vaguely remember the shroobed giant yoshi monster. I just can't remember a bit of the rest.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
...Welcome to Bowser's Inside Story, I guess.

I was wondering, if you control two characters and leave the other two behind in a place that has enemies, can the enemies attack the not-being-controlled characters at all?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Oblivion4568238 posted:

Boy have I got a show for you. (Well okay he doesn't put anyone through the ring here but that's not important)

Back on topic though, as I've said before, I played this game all the way through, and even less than everything else, I just do not remember Yoshi's Island. I do not remember the whole deal with the cookies. I think I vaguely remember the shroobed giant yoshi monster. I just can't remember a bit of the rest.

This is still my favorite videogame character wrestling gif.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

I was wondering, if you control two characters and leave the other two behind in a place that has enemies, can the enemies attack the not-being-controlled characters at all?

Not at all. For all intents and purposes, they're non-existent when not under player control.

Jobbo_Fett posted:

This is still my favorite videogame character wrestling gif.

WHY HAVEN'T YOU SHOWN ME THIS BEFORE

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Man, after that episode, all I have to say is that those babies are lucky they're really good with hammers. We've got enough boss fights on the horizon without those bundles of id getting us into more.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I have to wonder now if the o's in Yoob are pronounced to rhyme with dude, or pronounced to rhyme with note.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
This whole time I thought it was spelled "Ube"

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

I'd assume the rock the yoshi's push is a chain chomp as a nod to the chomp rocks in Yoshi's Island.

Hell if I know why they made them chain chomps there though.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
The Yoshi's in the Paper Mario series spoke perfect English (or which ever language you chose) out loud, but the ones in the Mario and Luigi games speak in brackets which I assume means only the players can understand them.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
The Yoshis didn't just destroy his colon, that rock also lodged in the poor guy's appendix.

Oblivion4568238
Oct 10, 2012

The Inquisition.
What a show.
The Inquisition.
Here. We. Go.
College Slice
To explain that thing about action interaction from Superstar Saga, if Luigi hit Mario with a hammer, Mario would become mini-Mario. You could then have Luigi set up for the High Jump ability, which doesn't stick because Mario is mini. But, Mario could jump while doing this, hitting Luigi, getting a coin every hit, and also damaging Luigi. If you had enough of a Stache discount / high enough max health on Luigi, you could end up getting more money than it costs to buy a full-heal mushroom, thereby earning infinite money, however slowly it would take.

On the note of action interactions, I'm reasonably certain you could start fights in Superstar Saga by popping up from digging underground. I don't remember if it had any special effects.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

While I freak out over end of semester hijinks, here's an episode that was in the pipeline.

Also because it's the end of the semester, I've been busy so I might not have an update of this next week. I may or may not have a little mini bonus thing to show soon-ish though.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Show Me How is a great book, no joke.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

So I've got an episode in the pipeline, just waiting to be edited, but in the meantime, here's a thing I did with Faerie Fortune, who I am running an Ocarina of Time LP with over here. This has nothing to do with the mini bonus thing I mentioned though.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh, Baby Bowser. Your schemes are as predictable as they are transparent.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

I'm a little late on this because I have an exam tomorrow, but here's a new update.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

I'm a little late on this because I have an exam tomorrow, but here's a new update.

Fawful remains the best. :allears:

And good luck with your exam.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Peach is Knuckles, obviously.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
This is honestly the best possible thing they could have done with fawful in this game.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Nihilarian posted:

Peach is Knuckles, obviously.

Peach is Sally Acorn

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Ok, so normally I'd have an update today ready to go, but we haven't been able to record commentary for a bit, so I don't have the first part of the next area ready yet, so instead, I have a little side project I've been working on.

I don't think this game is big enough to warrant a thread of its own, but I thought it'd be a good fit for filler in a Mario thread. The concept seems dumb, but hey, you've got a bunch of awesome Eurobeat Mario songs and some amazing model animation, so I thought it'd be a fun ride. The basic plot is Waluigi's broken into a castle and stolen the four Music Keys that keep the people of the Mushroom Kingdom musically stable, I guess. It's a weak plot, but let's be real, no one was expecting an amazing plot from DDR Mario of all things. I'm doing this as subtitled commentary because I don't wanna talk over the game's amazing soundtrack. Apologies about the first video's quick subtitles, I'll make them last a little longer for the next one.

Anyway enough rambling, let's dance!

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

What a charming, strange little game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Wait there was a Mario game where Waluigi actually did something other than yell at people? Even if its a gimmicky spinoff that surprises me.

• Locked thread