Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
1) I didn't know the Mario DDR Mix existed, which is a shame, since it looks ridiculous.

2) There's a place to grind beans if my memory is correct. We haven't yet been to where I'm thinking of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

GeneX posted:

1) I didn't know the Mario DDR Mix existed, which is a shame, since it looks ridiculous.

2) There's a place to grind beans if my memory is correct. We haven't yet been to where I'm thinking of.

I think I know where you're talking about too, and I'll cover it when we do get to that point.

In other news, we take you back to your regularly scheduled time travel adventure.

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

:frogsiren:
Super Paper Mario gets a lot of poo poo for being both the sequel to Thousand Year Door and not being a true RPG in it's style, I enjoyed it for what it was, I always thought the Paper Mario charm was with the characters anyway, and Super Paper Mario had loads of it, who can honestly hate a game where Bowser and Peach marrying causes the literal end of reality?

CmdrKing
Oct 14, 2012

Maybe if I called it 'Interpretive Stabbing'...
I think SPM's issues were half being the followup to a game that really couldn't be followed up and half having some really dumb puzzle design. I just kinda shelved the game in disgust after finding that stupid number password in chapter 5 (I think? Caveman level), for example. I should really finish it up, it's overall a decent game, just holy hell that's off-putting.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Some of those blocks looked awfully high up. Are you going to get yourself an even higher jump at some point?

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Hey I hope everyone enjoyed their holidays, I would've had this up earlier but I was busy with other things.

Glazius posted:

Some of those blocks looked awfully high up. Are you going to get yourself an even higher jump at some point?

I think so, but I don't quite remember off the top of my head.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Finally get to .gif it up in this thread!

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
I've done a low level run of this game once. I finished it at level 15 and the final boss took about 2 hours to finish. I don't think I'd do that again. :psyduck:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

MR. J posted:

I've done a low level run of this game once. I finished it at level 15 and the final boss took about 2 hours to finish. I don't think I'd do that again. :psyduck:

I did it legit and it still took me over half an hour, and that's even with the lowered enemy stats the Pal region got.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The final boss has an absurd amount of HP. It's like the romhack version of the actual boss but it's the real game and not a romhack.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

So theres a damage cap on singular hits. Its 999.
Theres an end game bros item that does a single hit but allows you, with enough practice, to reach that.

The lost count of how many the final boss took to actually kill.

Admiral H. Curtiss
May 11, 2010

I think there are a bunch of people who can create trailing images. I know some who could do this as if they were just going out for a stroll.
I never beat the final boss. At some point during the fight I got way too bored and turned the game off. Haven't touched it since.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Going off Mario Wiki, the final boss has a total of 6500 HP across two phases, if we're only talking about the main target. The non-US version has a total of 3800 HP. I don't understand why AlphaDream thought it was a good idea to bloat the final boss's HP so much but I hate it. For reference, Superstar Saga's final boss has 2000 HP (800 for phase 1, 1200 for phase 2), just for the main target; Bowser's Inside Story's has 2560 to drain (1000 for phase 1, 1560 for phase 2); and Dream Team's has 2417, just for the main target. In theory if you rammed that 999 damage cap in this game, you could finish the final boss in a few turns, but there's a whole lotta bullshit in the way to draw it out super far and it's kinda bullshit. We'll cross that bridge when we get there though.

FishOnAPiano
Oct 9, 2012
I got to the final boss, used up all the items I had gathered throughout the game in the battle, ran out and lost.
I then went back, sold some unwanted stuff and bought all the items I could afford (max amount (99?) of a few of them) and tried again. I ran out of items again, put the game down and wound up losing the cartridge before I ever got around to gathering the fucks to try again.
Likely was some sucking on my part to account for part of it, but yeah, looking forward to seeing the end of the game through this LP.

MR. J
Nov 22, 2011

Chuck and Fuck
Well in their defense, in Superstar Saga you can completely trivialize any boss into a 2-4 turn encounter with Swing Bros. and pretty much any Bros. move set to level 3.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I remember not having that much trouble with the final boss. I wasn't as through with getting beans as ChaosArgate is though but I was still able to buy one item-free badge.

Fun fact, those trampolines don't last forever. I could've sworn that there was something that told you how long items lasted because I know there's a couple that last until you mess up.

Also I had no idea about the sarcophagi Snifits. Color me shocked! I never bothered with Green shells or fire flowers after getting decently into the game.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

ChaosArgate fucked around with this message at 04:26 on Jan 19, 2015

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.
I'm a bit embarrassed to admit it, but when I was younger I got really creeped out by the facehugging shroom.

As for the final boss conversation: the music was good. That's about the only good part of that fight.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
Oh god, now future Bowser can team up with past Bowser!

...actually they'll probably just fight. The little one doesn't seem like he'd even respect himself.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

It's late and I was busy all day so I don't have a banner up for this episode yet, I will eventually though, but here's the video proper.

Episode 15: Hydrogush

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

ChaosArgate posted:

It's late and I was busy all day so I don't have a banner up for this episode yet, I will eventually though, but here's the video proper.

Episode 15: Hydrogush

You might want to take a look at 25:44 or so, it's a very nice view of the top screen but I don't think this is what you meant when you made the comment about this being how you'll do boss battles from now on. :v:

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Ignatius M. Meen posted:

I don't think this is what you meant when you made the comment about this being how you'll do boss battles from now on. :v:

Chaos always has at least 1 broken screen transition. :v:

Or just 1 broken part in the video.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Ah, so Thwomps are born/forged in a volcano. That explains why they like to live in lava castles. The Mario timeline is once again connected.

That thing with the water hose was confusing, though. E. Gadd sent loads of water into the past. This means it's gone from the present but there's more water in the past, which then goes to the present in more conventional ways. So it's in a closed loop, after the 'present' there's as much water as there was before the 'past'. But what's the chance that the water E. Gadd sends through is the SAME water that appeared in the past. If it's different the loop is not closed and there's a paradox and :psyduck:

Judge Tesla
Oct 29, 2011

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Chaos always has at least 1 broken screen transition. :v:

Or just 1 broken part in the video.

I just assumed the fight was so brutal he had to censor it for our own safety, saying that though, I didn't like this area or the next when I played the game, it's just so boring.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

:psyduck:

I have no idea what happened there, Jobbo_Fett can back me up that the commentary encode was fine. I'll reupload either tonight or tomorrow.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ChaosArgate posted:

:psyduck:

I have no idea what happened there, Jobbo_Fett can back me up that the commentary encode was fine. I'll reupload either tonight or tomorrow.

Yeah the video qas fine when we did commentary.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Yeah the video qas fine when we did commentary.

It was a shared hallucination.

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Carbon dioxide posted:

Ah, so Thwomps are born/forged in a volcano. That explains why they like to live in lava castles. The Mario timeline is once again connected.

That thing with the water hose was confusing, though. E. Gadd sent loads of water into the past. This means it's gone from the present but there's more water in the past, which then goes to the present in more conventional ways. So it's in a closed loop, after the 'present' there's as much water as there was before the 'past'. But what's the chance that the water E. Gadd sends through is the SAME water that appeared in the past. If it's different the loop is not closed and there's a paradox and :psyduck:

It's a Mario game. You're really overthinking consequences here.

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Fixed!

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Do you think the hairpiece on that giant hose serves a purpose or is it more of an aesthetic piece?

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Is there a reason you're avoiding Defense for the level up bonuses?

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

AradoBalanga posted:

Is there a reason you're avoiding Defense for the level up bonuses?

Defense is useless if you aren't getting hit.
Hell I'd argue defense is useless even if you are. You'd want to get a battle finished as fast as you can before you eventually slip up.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Defense isn't that good in these games since you can avoid everything.

Edit: Never mind.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Eh, when I went through Superstar Saga, I dropped a few points in Defense mostly as insurance in case I royally hosed up something since my dodge timings are not the best either.

Also, it'd count as a bonus not spent on Stache, so I could get better roulette options for Stache on a future level up.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

AradoBalanga posted:

Also, it'd count as a bonus not spent on Stache, so I could get better roulette options for Stache on a future level up.

When you can open up with Copyflower, Trampoliners or any other item that gives you tons of hits, I hardly see defense as being all that important if I can just beef up whatever stat either: Boosts my item's attack power, boosts MY attack power, increases luck to hit harder.

Maybe its because I'm just here for the ride but there don't to be too many enemy attacks that are hard to dodge :shrug:

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

Jobbo_Fett posted:

When you can open up with Copyflower, Trampoliners or any other item that gives you tons of hits, I hardly see defense as being all that important if I can just beef up whatever stat either: Boosts my item's attack power, boosts MY attack power, increases luck to hit harder.

Maybe its because I'm just here for the ride but there don't to be too many enemy attacks that are hard to dodge :shrug:

In general unless your a masochist like me, you get hit often enough that occasionally picking it for roulette makes life easier, but you're going to have a real hard time regardless of your defense if you get hit all the time instead of dodging. The game gives you the power to nullify enemy damage and expects you to use it. If you are a masochist that treats getting hit as a game over, there's no point in ever picking that stat.

ZeeToo
Feb 20, 2008

I'm a kitty!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

By the end of a M&L game, the enemy attack patterns are sometimes practically minigames.

Attack is still king, because the most defense can do is allow maybe one more slip-up, vs attack power not giving them several more attack chances.

AradoBalanga
Jan 3, 2013

Jobbo_Fett posted:

It may just be my memories of Superstar Saga, but some attacks there were not as dodgeable as I'd thought, or the timing was rather strict. Or I misread enemy tells (trust me, I could make a "kill your liver" drinking game out of those moments).

But yeah, the Bros Items in this game are crazy, with Trampoliners and Copy Flowers just being "Press character button to overkill opponent" items.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Defense and HP help you survive longer, but it's a lot better to just completely annihilate enemies before they can touch you than to prolong battles and potentially give them the chance. Gameplay-wise, that'd make Mario the superior bro because he almost always moves first and hits really hard, but Bros Items makes that a non-issue because Trampoliners and Copy Flowers are ridiculous. Admittedly, I screw up a lot of dodges, but the damage is never severe enough to the point where I really want more HP or Def and by the end of the area, I'm barely getting touched anyway.

• Locked thread