Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

The solution to misogyny and homophobia in other cultures isn't to impose our culture on them. Cultural imperialism tends to create problems of its own - the baby (i.e. the neutral-to-good aspects of a culture) tends to get thrown out with the bathwater (i.e. the bad aspects of a culture). Other cultures have to change from within, the way our culture has changed (and is still changing). The best we can do is keep our own house in order (by fighting our culture's examples of misogyny and homophobia) and being allies to people who fight misogyny and homophobia in their cultures.

Ya i dunno about the op, im tired of thinking about islam, but i don't like this post. Misogyny and homophobia are specific ideas in themselves, not objective qualifications of a society. Misogyny implies an ignorant disrespect of women that comes out of like mommy issues or sexual frustration, but in many cultures women do have a place in it that does not assume they want careers and a babysitter and financial freedom and all the rest of this western wage slave mentality nonsense. Some cultures are fine without these ideas, they would call us misogynistic, for example western women not covering themselves. It's just a useless, specific, emotional word past a certain point. Yes, treat women well, but the criteria should not be if you are a misogynist or not, then you've already lost. "Have you stopped beating your wife?"

And homosexuality seems to me by definition to be outside of society, gay people are not interested in helping to prolong it. They can't have children. Yes they can adopt, but anyone can technically adopt (not legally but that's not the point). The measure of a society is not by any means the measure of which they accept homosexuality, it is irrelevant to its health. And dictating what people do and don't do excessively is not the same thing as whether or not homosexuality itself is accepted. Society depends on heterosexual people looking towards the future, not a past/present oriented pleasure movement.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
America I wish you would just take over the world already

Kyrie eleison
Jan 26, 2013

by Ralp

Zzulu posted:

workin on it

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Zzulu posted:

if it wasn't for the liberals we would have already

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

And homosexuality seems to me by definition to be outside of society, gay people are not interested in helping to prolong it.

The gently caress? So gay people don't make contributions to art, science, politics, or warfare? (Those links are just a few examples of famous gay men, BTW.) Not even raising children counts as "prolonging society?" The only possible contribution to society is physically making babies? :psyduck:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Liberals and liberalism generally refer to two different things btw..liberalism is the political philosophy that underpins the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

But liberalism is basically the multiculturalism and tolerance that is turning the western world to poo poo slowly, as all the cultures that don't care about those things move to the west and take advantage of our tolerance.

And also i am gay

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

And also i am gay

That just makes your claim about gay people not "prolonging society" even more confusing to me

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Immigrants take advantage of our tolerance in the same way a wage laborer takes advantage of a factory owner's assembly lines

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

The gently caress? So gay people don't make contributions to art, science, politics, or warfare? (Those links are just a few examples of famous gay men, BTW.) Not even raising children counts as "prolonging society?" The only possible contribution to society is physically making babies? :psyduck:

Those contributions had nothing to do with them being gay, unless you want to be one of the first to say they did. Yes, homosexuality as a thing in itself contributes nothing towards society, except maybe a reminder to tolerate more open pursuits of pleasure. This doesn't mean it's wrong, but it is irrelevant to the continuation of society and does not need to be accepted on a societal basis. It should only be accepted on the basis that no one is harmed by being gay, not that society is better for accepting it itself.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

That just makes your claim about gay people not "prolonging society" even more confusing to me

But im also not gay

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Tautologicus posted:

Liberals and liberalism generally refer to two different things btw..liberalism is the political philosophy that underpins the liberal/conservative dichotomy.

But liberalism is basically the multiculturalism and tolerance that is turning the western world to poo poo slowly, as all the cultures that don't care about those things move to the west and take advantage of our tolerance.

And also i am gay

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

Immigrants take advantage of our tolerance in the same way a wage laborer takes advantage of a factory owner's assembly lines

Immigrants who are willing to assimilate, yes. Immigrants who want to continue to be as backwards and anti-civilization wherever they go (example - pakistanis in britain that continue to do honor killings), no.

chernobyl kinsman
Mar 18, 2007

a friend of the friendly atom

Soiled Meat
And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

End Of Worlds posted:

And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but considerest not the beam that is in thine own eye?

It's funny that that can be interpreted as saying that he who criticizes someone is automatically more of a hypocrite than he who never does. If he never says anything, do the beams suddenly become equal?

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Tautologicus, when the Xxxao'thians conquer our planet, will you be okay with them imposing veganism and the Xxxao'thian language on us and assigning everybody jobs based on their skills and mating us eugenically and putting all the children in crèches?

'Cause if you won't be, then you'll be standing in the way of progress

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:29 on Sep 28, 2014

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

Immigrants who are willing to assimilate, yes. Immigrants who want to continue to be as backwards and anti-civilization wherever they go (example - pakistanis in britain that continue to do honor killings), no.

What our troops are doing over there daily is more anti-civilization than a few random sluts getting murked.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Tautologicus, when the Xxxao'thians conquer our planet, will you be okay with them imposing veganism and the Xxxao'thian language on us and assigning everybody jobs based on their skills and mating us eugenically and putting all the children in crèches?

'Cause if you won't be, then you'll be standing in the way of progress

If their firepower is superior then they probably deserved their victory.

tetsuo
May 12, 2001

I am a shaman, magician
that's how they get you. one day you're practicing your watered down and socially acceptable pacific northwest riff on islam and then BAM you're installing a caliphate

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

What our troops are doing over there daily is more anti-civilization than a few random sluts getting murked.

If they had planes and tanks and missiles they would do the same thing. And besides, war is the best expression of civilization. We just happen to be winning. The only real mark of civilization is a unified banner, as opposed to tribalist infighting.

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

Jim Rustler posted:

President Obama keeps insisting that Isis is not Islamic. Well, maybe they don't practice the Muslim faith the same way he did. If vast numbers of Muslims across the world believe, and they do, that humans deserve to die for merely holding a different idea, or drawing a cartoon, or writing a book, or eloping with the wrong person, not only does the Muslim world have something in common with Isis, it has too much in common with Isis.

There is so much talk about wiping out Isis. You can't. Not with bombs. You can only expose that something is a bad idea, like extended warranties.

Cultures are different. It's ok to judge. Rule of Law isn't just different than Theocracy. It's better. If you don't see that, you are either a religious fanatic or a masochist, but one thing you are certainly not is a liberal. To count yourself as a liberal, you have to stand up for liberal principles; Free Speech, separation of church and state, freedom to practice any religion, or no religion, without the threat of violence, respect for minorities including homosexuals, equality for women.

It amazes me how here in America we go nuts over the tiniest violations of these values while gross atrocities are ignored across the world. Jonah Hill yells "Suck my dick human being" at the paparazzi and an entire nation goes into a twitter outrage until he is forced to perform that most debasing of acts, that 'talk show apology tour'.

Meanwhile, in ten countries, actually sucking a dick can get you stoned, and not in a good way.

We hear a lot about the Republican war on women. "It's not cool, Rush Limbaugh called somebody a slut!" OK. But Saudi women can't vote, or drive, or hold a job or leave the house without a man. Overwhelming majorities in every Muslim country say a wife is always obliged to obey her husband. That all seems like a bigger issue than an evangelic Christian refusing to make gay wedding cakes.

91% of Egyptian women have had their clitoris's forcibly removed. 98% of Somalian women have. Ayaan Hirsi Ali grew up in Somalia and is one of them. She was scheduled to speak at Yale last week, but the school's atheist organization complained that she "did not represent the totality of the ex Muslim experience." Meaning what exactly? The women who like mutilation? You are atheist's. You should be attacking religion, not siding with the people who hold women down and violate them, which apparently you will defend in the name of multiculturism and then lose your poo poo when someone refers to Chaz Bono with the wrong pronoun.

Donald Sterling isn't allowed to own a team because he told his mistress not to post pictures with black guys. OK. But if we are giving no quarter to intolerance, shouldn't we be starting with the mutilators and the honor killers? Or will that divert us from the real problem. That when Mel Gibson drinks, he calls women sugar tits?

tell me more about twinkle hands and OWS

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

If their firepower is superior then they probably deserved their victory.

Wow, so might makes right? Not compassion or justice? By that logic, those British-Pakistani dads should be allowed to kill their dishonorable daughters, since a grown man is generally stronger than a teenage girl!

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

If they had planes and tanks and missiles they would do the same thing. And besides, war is the best expression of civilization. We just happen to be winning. The only real mark of civilization is a unified banner, as opposed to tribalist infighting.

Those tribes are just the leftover components from a civilization we helped destroy. Besides, our over-extension in the mideast is causing our own to decay.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

Wow, so might makes right? Not compassion or justice? By that logic, those British-Pakistani dads should be allowed to kill their dishonorable daughters, since a grown man is generally stronger than a teenage girl!

No, i just don't answer hypotheticals. I was never arguing for progress anyway, just continuation. I am not even talking about the stronger taking over the weak, i was more saying that what some people think is progress is not progress at all, and is more akin to a snake eating its own tail.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

Those tribes are just the leftover components from a civilization we helped destroy. Besides, our over-extension in the mideast is causing our own to decay.

I agree with the first part but I think our decaying is due to not having much of anything to fight for or against. The real battles against nature and then against the equal and opposing enemy (the USSR) have been won, and the old unifying banner of christianity is decaying. Capitalism was never a unifying banner, just a means of appropriation and economic conquest. So what can we unify ourselves under now? If we don't find that, we continue to decay. Middle east adventurism was really an attempt to stave this off, thank god we found an enemy for 10 years. There's probably more to it but i will stick with this story for now.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020
Tautologicus' utopian vision (artist's rendering)

Pththya-lyi fucked around with this message at 13:50 on Sep 28, 2014

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

And homosexuality seems to me by definition to be outside of society, gay people are not interested in helping to prolong it. They can't have children. Yes they can adopt, but anyone can technically adopt (not legally but that's not the point). The measure of a society is not by any means the measure of which they accept homosexuality, it is irrelevant to its health. And dictating what people do and don't do excessively is not the same thing as whether or not homosexuality itself is accepted. Society depends on heterosexual people looking towards the future, not a past/present oriented pleasure movement.

Lmao "society depends on heterosexual people looking towards the future" you sound like you have some serious aspergers dude.

I don't know if you realize, but people don't usually plan to have babies. Life is just kind of happens for people. Also, homosexuality is going to be around pretty much forever since it's been proven that it isn't genetic and occurs in a consistent percentage of all animals across earth. Ignoring it or pushing it aside is only going to cause problems.

You're a shamefully stupid, and ignorant gay person.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
There is no utopia, people would much rather clan up and take the other people's poo poo than share what they have. Any utopian community that has ever succeeded only did so because there wasn't enough poo poo to fight over, but then no one was happy in the first place. Very few last over even 10 years. People require poo poo to fight over. That's civilization in a nutshell. I would prefer to find a way out of this cynicism but i can only go by what i see around me.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
Hmmm i wonder if this is another thread where everyone argues with one person who is constantly making grandiose claims about the nature of society and they just get constantly poo poo on and roll with the punches.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

There is no utopia, people would much rather clan up and take the other people's poo poo than share what they have. Any utopian community that has ever succeeded only did so because there wasn't enough poo poo to fight over, but then no one was happy in the first place. Very few last over even 10 years. People require poo poo to fight over. That's civilization in a nutshell. I would prefer to find a way out of this cynicism but i can only go by what i see around me.

So civilization isn't advanced cities, specialized workers, complex institutions, record-keeping, or improved technology - it's really about giving into our baser instincts. What you define as "civilization," I define as "barbarism."

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsinava posted:

Lmao "society depends on heterosexual people looking towards the future" you sound like you have some serious aspergers dude.

I don't know if you realize, but people don't usually plan to have babies. Life is just kind of happens for people. Also, homosexuality is going to be around pretty much forever since it's been proven that it isn't genetic and occurs in a consistent percentage of all animals across earth. Ignoring it or pushing it aside is only going to cause problems.

You're a shamefully stupid, and ignorant gay person.

But they have the ability to have babies (and that's enough), and the very essence of a heterosexual relationship is the hope for the future. Supporting each other towards some future state, whether thats kids or a quiet life or anything. And i never said to ignore or push aside homosexuality. No it's not going away, but society has nothing to do with it. It's an aberration, and it can be tolerated even so. The drive to accept it with open arms is a symptom of the decay of society because it has nothing to fight for anymore. This is a natural process even, its not worth getting upset over.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

Tautologicus posted:

But they have the ability to have babies (and that's enough), and the very essence of a heterosexual relationship is the hope for the future. Supporting each other towards some future state, whether thats kids or a quiet life or anything. And i never said to ignore or push aside homosexuality. No it's not going away, but society has nothing to do with it. It's an aberration, and it can be tolerated even so. The drive to accept it with open arms is a symptom of the decay of society because it has nothing to fight for anymore. This is a natural process even, its not worth getting upset over.

Homosexual people have biological children all the loving time.

lmao

just what

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

wow this thread got serious discussion posting quickly

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

*runs down the street as the thread watches quietly, it takes a long time and I'm huffing and puffing, red-faced and sweaty, by the time I get to where everyone has gathered*

H-H-HA-HAS ANYONE, ANYONE SAID...*GASP*... THAT THE TRUTH IS, IS SOMEWHERE IN THE MIDDLE?!?

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
its hard not to correct someone who is claiming to be gay who is also saying gays can't have babies.

im probably being trolled.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Pththya-lyi posted:

So civilization isn't advanced cities, specialized workers, complex institutions, record-keeping, or improved technology - it's really about giving into our baser instincts. What you define as "civilization," I define as "barbarism."

I don't see much difference between the two anymore, but I am not happy with that conclusion. I would like to agree with you.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Tsinava posted:

its hard not to correct someone who is claiming to be gay who is also saying gays can't have babies.

im probably being trolled.
You're trolling yourself. A gay couple cant have babies. Their dna cannot make a child. In uteri fertilization doesn't count. And if i am gay i dont think much of it. Seems like a base and frivolous activity. I like the same sex but to have sex with one seems disrespectul but sometimes who cares i guess. I would never tell anyone to think how i think. I just say poo poo and see what happens.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Tautologicus posted:

I agree with the first part but I think our decaying is due to not having much of anything to fight for or against. The real battles against nature and then against the equal and opposing enemy (the USSR) have been won, and the old unifying banner of christianity is decaying. Capitalism was never a unifying banner, just a means of appropriation and economic conquest. So what can we unify ourselves under now? If we don't find that, we continue to decay. Middle east adventurism was really an attempt to stave this off, thank god we found an enemy for 10 years. There's probably more to it but i will stick with this story for now.

I think people derive meaning mainly from each others company (good or bad) and not from abstract conflicts with nature or foreign states. A society decays when it's unable to meet ordinary people's social needs, and external causes like patriotism or religion are just distractions from the lowering quality of social relationships and destruction of local communities because of various economic factors.

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

I just say poo poo and see what happens.

Are you perhaps a puppet-master?

nomadologique
Mar 9, 2011

DUNK A DILL PICKLE REALDO
hamasexuals

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

butplug accident posted:

I think people derive meaning mainly from each others company (good or bad) and not from abstract conflicts with nature or foreign states. A society decays when it's unable to meet ordinary people's social needs, and external causes like patriotism or religion are just distractions from the lowering quality of social relationships and destruction of local communities because of various economic factors.

Yes but what creates those social relationships. Shared understandings. Societal, religious, philosophical, political, national. Meaning is created by these social forces...almost a cliche at this point. Peoples identities are formed by these things, they do not exist in a vacuum.

• Locked thread