Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

just doesn't roll off the fingers as well in sha alla

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

queertea
Jun 4, 2013

Not Fade Away
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3639060

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

:staredog:

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

lmao ho wcan he keep posting after that

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

dude sounds like an italian, government had to make laws to subsidize men moving out of the house where they live with their mother's because they can't find women that will take good of care as them.

Morkyz
Aug 6, 2013

TOILETLORD posted:

dude sounds like an italian, government had to make laws to subsidize men moving out of the house where they live with their mother's because they can't find women that will take good of care as them.

lmao ceasar is rolling in his grave, and would kill himself if he could die agains

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Morkyz posted:

lmao ceasar is rolling in his grave, and would kill himself if he could die agains

it's normal over there for guys to live in a small 2 story "house" where they live on a floor and their mothers live the other floor.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
im pretty sure italians dont post on the internet

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The best part about people that whine about multiculturalism is that when you confront them with what a real opponent of a culture like Ayaan Hirsi Ali or Philip Sheridan wants to do/did they immediately start dodging the question or saying that "we are at war with Islam" doesn't actually mean anything about the millions of Muslims residing in the USA (granted, European opponents are probably more willing to call for slaughtering Muslim children) or downplaying the wholesale and calculated slaughter against the Native Americans of the West, or really just about anything to make it clear that they just want a multicultural society that's nasty and hateful. Evil is generally banal.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

The best part about people that whine about multiculturalism is that when you confront them with what a real opponent of a culture like Ayaan Hirsi Ali or Philip Sheridan wants to do/did they immediately start dodging the question or saying that "we are at war with Islam" doesn't actually mean anything about the millions of Muslims residing in the USA (granted, European opponents are probably more willing to call for slaughtering Muslim children) or downplaying the wholesale and calculated slaughter against the Native Americans of the West, or really just about anything to make it clear that they just want a multicultural society that's nasty and hateful. Evil is generally banal.

people don't like multiculturalism because it's an excuse for people to not integrate. Why we don't want muslims they kill us.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

TOILETLORD posted:

people don't like multiculturalism because it's an excuse for people to not integrate. Why we don't want muslims they kill us.

Even this little bit of contrarianism leads inevitably to the army gunning down people at celebrations of Chinese New Year or the police arresting people for celebrating Hanukkah, if we're willing to go the whole way on integration. Otherwise, it's just more of what I said- a multicultural society that's just nasty about it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Diversity creates conflict. When people don't understand each other, they fight. And people say the solution is for people to understand each other, but has that ever worked? If two cultures understood each other, they wouldn't be separate in the first place.

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

boom boom boom fucked around with this message at 20:46 on Oct 7, 2014

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof
Many European nations are taking jihadism and radicalism seriously as a new social ill on par with gang violence, domestic abuse, and generational poverty. Nations are working with religious communities to ensure that young Muslims know that radicalism exists, understand it, and are prepared should they ever be tempted to answer the call to glorious jihad. Much of Western culture comes packaged with violence, hatred, and bigotry, but American and European societies have done a reasonably good job of acknowledging and isolating distasteful parts of our inherited cultures. There's no reason we can't do the same with Islam, by rendering arcane its core, every true muslim's calling, which is to kill the infidels and expand the caliphate.

Helpimscared
Jun 16, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

Diversity creates conflict. When people don't understand each other, they fight. And people say the solution is for people to understand each other, but has that ever worked? If two cultures understood each other, they wouldn't be separate in the first place.

Communist

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
The best part of all of this is that historically, once you reject liberal values like tolerance and acceptance for one group, you start rejecting them for everyone. The KKK moved from being anti-black to anti-Jewish, anti-Catholic, and anti-women. The Republican Party went from the party of Lincoln and abolitionism to the party of William McKinley and imperialism. Anti-multiculturalism is really just another way of saying "In order to save the village, it became necessary to destroy it".

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Yikes.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Effectronica posted:

The best part of all of this is that historically, once you reject liberal values like tolerance and acceptance for one group, you start rejecting them for everyone. The KKK moved from being anti-black to anti-Jewish, anti-Catholic, and anti-women. The Republican Party went from the party of Lincoln and abolitionism to the party of William McKinley and imperialism. Anti-multiculturalism is really just another way of saying "In order to save the village, it became necessary to destroy it".

history shows long term embracing multiculturalism causes the collapse of cultures.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

TOILETLORD posted:

history shows long term embracing multiculturalism causes the collapse of cultures.

Every great civilization was multicultural to the extent that it had groups living side by side who wanted to kill each other.

dZPnJOm8QwUAseApNj
Apr 15, 2002

arf bark woof

TOILETLORD posted:

history shows history causes the collapse of culture

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Mein Eyes! posted:

history shows history causes the collapse of culture

history shows people don't learn because it always repeats itself.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I'm not sure what is wrong with someone saying "All this poo poo over here is bad if you value democracy, security, and the human condition."

If it shits on certain cultures, then so be it. Every culture has value as far as it is the human experience, but it doesn't mean that it has to be embraced. Ayaan Hirsi Ali is extreme but she's not entirely wrong on this. It just doesn't fit into the mold of liberal theocracy and rational thought. Everyone can't be right all the time and have equal footing if you're going to find a good solution that benefits everyone.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

People should be able to have their own silly holidays and decide what foods should be pickled or not but if you cut off little girls vaginas that's super gross and the US army should go in and blow your poo poo up

How is this going to fix the problem? People like to attribute the massive decline in wife-burning in India to British colonial rule, but this ignores that the practice was already opposed by a number of people in India before the British Raj began and illegal in a number of Indian states. External opposition is an existential threat where internal opposition is grounds for a debate. People that detest FGM would nevertheless end up defending it if it became a choice between their identity as Egyptians or submitting to and collaborating with foreign invasion and occupation. If this is to let off steam, I suggest playing a nice videogame instead.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

i loving love fascism

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

boom boom boom posted:

violence stopped the holocaust. I think you just have to do a thorough job of it

I did just play Tomb Raider, so violence against women is on my mind.

The Allies had to massively rework their propaganda (the USSR especially) in 1944/45 because they realized the perception that they were coming to annihilate German civilization and culture was making the average German fight harder, and the Wehrmacht fled westward to surrender to the Americans and British because they perceived them as more merciful than the Soviets.

Not to mention that the Holocaust was localized. You could just shoot guards and liberate camps and ghettos to end it, where FGM would require either terrorism or genocidal slaughter to eliminate through violence.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Y-Hat posted:

i loving love fascism

It's a fact that cultural diversity creates conflict, and many people see that as a good thing.

dkj
Feb 18, 2009

This thread reminded me that I don't miss the old GBS at all.

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

dkj posted:

This thread reminded me that I don't miss the old GBS at all.
i don't understand why people aren't using this opportunity to make fun of "multiculturalism is impossible" fascists. trolling is good for the soul

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The only bad thing about old-gbs other than it being unfunny was the sickly complacency among its posters and the punishments for wrongthink, grammar and off-topic posts

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

i loving love fascism

same

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Y-Hat posted:

i don't understand why people aren't using this opportunity to make fun of "multiculturalism is impossible" fascists. trolling is good for the soul

I personally never said this though. It's definitely possible. It just leads to misunderstandings and conflict unless everyone assimilates under one roof so to speak. Would love to see any good trollposts you might have waiting though

Fairly passive
Nov 4, 2012

Not as productive as I should be
Just dropping in to say that FGM has as little to do with Islam as dancing round a maypole has to do with Christianity.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Fairly passive posted:

Just dropping in to say that FGM has as little to do with Islam as dancing round a maypole has to do with Christianity.

Yea as I understand it it's a North African thing, it's barely a Muslim thing at all. Not analogous to circumcision at all for example.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

Pththya-lyi posted:

Tautologicus, when the Xxxao'thians conquer our planet, will you be okay with them imposing veganism and the Xxxao'thian language on us and assigning everybody jobs based on their skills and mating us eugenically and putting all the children in crèches?

'Cause if you won't be, then you'll be standing in the way of progress

This is my fetish

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

The west will follow the same course as Rome, Spengler, fart, I'm gay.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

TOILETLORD posted:

history shows long term that being a culture causes the collapse of cultures

anyways, yeah having a moral framework pretty much requires you to acknowledge that some actions are better and more just than others and it's a very small leap from there to "wow some cultures suck more than others"

that shouldn't be difficult or controversial even for radical leftists let alone liberals

the hard part is "what are you going to do about it that won't cause even more suffering and conflict, especially in the short term"

boom boom boom
Jun 28, 2012

by Shine

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

history shows long term that being a culture causes the collapse of cultures

anyways, yeah having a moral framework pretty much requires you to acknowledge that some actions are better and more just than others and it's a very small leap from there to "wow some cultures suck more than others"

that shouldn't be difficult or controversial even for radical leftists let alone liberals

the hard part is "what are you going to do about it that won't cause even more suffering and conflict, especially in the short term"

i prefer the harsh form of cultural relativism, where the destruction of culture is the greatest evil, because it's fun to let your brain try and frame things within it and see where it fails

• Locked thread