Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

I'll try, but the alien culture examples and the strawmen are making that difficult at present.

Frankly I think humanity should become more orky.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cake Smashing Boob
Nov 5, 2008

I support black genocide

skeletonotherkin posted:

I'd be more curious about what makes stupid nerds attracted to deeply reactionary politics and even fascism.

Stupid shut-ins holding retarded opinions seem pretty self explanatory to me :confused:

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

Sounds like you're having difficulty reconciling the concept of the Other with lived human experience! Would you like to run the Existentialism Setup Wizard?
  /
 /

There is no other. Call me a militant solipsist.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Tautologicus posted:

There is no other. Call me a militant solipsist.

well in that case i dunno why everyone is so hostile to you when everything is the product of your mind. too bad there's no such thing as psychological help to get you out of your crushing depression

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
Everyone to the right of Jill Stein is a Fascist according to GBS

PostNouveau
Sep 3, 2011

VY till I die
Grimey Drawer
Is OP calling for the public stoning of Donald Sterling? Because as a nation, I think we should strongly consider it.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Effectronica posted:

well in that case i dunno why everyone is so hostile to you when everything is the product of your mind. too bad there's no such thing as psychological help to get you out of your crushing depression

Eh it's not so bad. Psychology is useless anyway, it just makes people dependent.

EXTREME INSERTION
Jun 4, 2011

by LadyAmbien

MizPiz posted:

It's a mixed bag with the first one, but for sure with the last two.

What on earth are you talking about

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
scratch a liberal & a fascist bleeds

Pizzagate Pedophile
Mar 2, 2013

by Lowtax

Nude Bog Lurker posted:

Ayaan Hirsi Ali is to Islam as Something Sensitive is to Something Awful, just fyi.

So what you're saying is that there are no clits on something sensitive? drat it must be awful.

Pizzagate Pedophile fucked around with this message at 09:16 on Sep 29, 2014

Pththya-lyi
Nov 8, 2009

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2020

Tautologicus posted:

Eh it's not so bad. Psychology is useless anyway, it just makes people dependent.

Like medicine, right? People won't take care of themselves if they know they can just go to a doctor and get themselves fixed up!

5-HT
Oct 17, 2012

Exclamation Marx posted:

liberalism = trash, op

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004

Effectronica posted:

western philosophy has been so tainted by christian dualist influence as to remove any applicability to the actual human condition

and modern philosophy students wonder why people laugh at their degree choice

Disconnecticus
Oct 21, 2012

Wait, like, actual money?

paranoid randroid posted:

when i think of places that have not produced millions and millions of corpses, i think of Industrialized Europe. exactly 100 years ago, specifically.

Yup we're at the centenary of the start of the European civil war that caused Western civ's crisis of confidence in itself. From flappers to hippies to hipsters to AH and Rush Limbaugh.

It all started out as such a lovely sunny August too. drat shame.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

history shows long term that being a culture causes the collapse of cultures

anyways, yeah having a moral framework pretty much requires you to acknowledge that some actions are better and more just than others and it's a very small leap from there to "wow some cultures suck more than others"

that shouldn't be difficult or controversial even for radical leftists let alone liberals

the hard part is "what are you going to do about it that won't cause even more suffering and conflict, especially in the short term"

you just kick everyone out like australia, and put out a go away door mat, or be isolated like iceland.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

EXTREME INSERTION posted:

What on earth are you talking about

He somehow thinks American liberals are neocons? Although I guess they do unintentionally vote for people who aren't much different from the later.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
All the neocons were democrats first. How liberal they were is up to interpretation though. Rise of the Vulcans is a good book about the group.

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

All the neocons were democrats first. How liberal they were is up to interpretation though. Rise of the Vulcans is a good book about the group.

I know this, at any rate I can't make sense of what he was saying so nvm.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Tautologicus posted:

lots of them were trots

Disconnecticus posted:

Yup we're at the centenary of the start of the European civil war that caused Western civ's crisis of confidence in itself. From flappers to hippies to hipsters to AH and Rush Limbaugh.

brb gonna get all iron pilled up and start rambling about how the great war sapped the Volk of their martial vigor & pride and then maybe do some bench presses with the specter of klemens von metternich

paranoid randroid fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Sep 29, 2014

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

lots of them were trots

Good

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Disconnecticus posted:

European self-destruction from 1914-1945 was extremely cool and good, as it ultimately led to the dissolution of the violently racist colonial system.

Enjoy the blowback.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW
thank god colonial rule is over and done with and now all of the post colonial nations are doing much better than ever before.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
that partition of the ottomans is working out super well

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

Miltank posted:

thank god colonial rule is over and done with and now all of the post colonial nations are doing much better than ever before.

and to think all we needed to achieve it was a mere half century of the most horrific bloodshed ever to be loosed on the earth

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
it's almost as if ceasing your active oppression of a people doesn't magically undo the effects of centuries of oppression and exploitation

next you'll be telling me african-americans are still living in poverty and oppression even though slavery and segregation are over and we have a black president. guess they're just too culturally inferior to properly pull up those bootstraps

fspades
Jun 3, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Miltank posted:

Yeah, they are actually. Could do even better if they purged the remnants of colonialism and collectively showed the middle finger to your fatasses.

Drunkboxer
Jun 30, 2007

fspades posted:

Yeah, they are actually. Could do even better if they purged the remnants of colonialism and collectively showed the middle finger to your fatasses.

when I look at the faces of the a bunch happy go lucky Congolese people, I can't get over how crazy it is that the only thing that need to happen to make them that way was the worst and most violent thing that has ever happened...

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

lots of them were trots

Is this even true though, or just a sloppy accusation that was only true in a few instances?

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

skeletonotherkin posted:

Is this even true though, or just a sloppy accusation that was only true in a few instances?

technically its only the really early neocons that were trots, like irving kristol. but those guys did basically midwife the movement. anyway arguing about where the True Ideological Roots of neoconservatism lie is like arguing about which brand of artificial sweetener is superior.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Miltank posted:

Very much so. Though sentimentalizing the colonial era is popular with the historically ignorant, sperglord "neo-reactionaries," and steampunks. Probably a lot of overlap in that Venn diagram...

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Drunkboxer posted:

and to think all we needed to achieve it was a mere half century of the most horrific bloodshed ever to be loosed on the earth

WW2 is widely considered the "most horrific" war in history due to the fact that the Nazis employed colonialist violence against other Europeans as opposed to overseas populations. The methods were hardly novel, and the scale was eclipsed by the Chinese civil war and subsequent Maoist rule.

There is nothing special about WW2, it's only that we grew up watching movies about it. White Europeans obsess over the violence they inflicted on themselves, while dismissing the equivalent violence they inflicted on non-white populations.

the worst thing is
Oct 3, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
But..but..holocaust..chosen people..never again..remember the jews, goyim

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

Tautologicus posted:

But..but..holocaust..chosen people..never again..remember the jews, goyim

The Roma suffered much worse than the Jews, proportionally speaking, at the hands of the genocidal Nazis. Not to mention the mentally ill, gays, dissenting clergy, and so on. But we only care about one of the victim populations, because blah blah Nobel prizes...

If you value groups of human beings differently, exterminating some is a greater crime than others.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007

Agag posted:

There is nothing special about WW2, it's only that we grew up watching movies about it. White Europeans obsess over the violence they inflicted on themselves, while dismissing the equivalent violence they inflicted on non-white populations.

id say the fact that it completely reorganized the global hegemony makes it p fuckin significant

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

Agag posted:

WW2 is widely considered the "most horrific" war in history due to the fact that the Nazis employed colonialist violence against other Europeans as opposed to overseas populations. The methods were hardly novel, and the scale was eclipsed by the Chinese civil war and subsequent Maoist rule.

Hmmmm no.

fun tunnel
Feb 16, 2007

that boys so lovely
liberalism is a disease hth op

skeletonotherkin
Sep 26, 2014

technically its only the really early neocons that were trots, like irving kristol. but those guys did basically midwife the movement. anyway arguing about where the True Ideological Roots of neoconservatism lie is like arguing about which brand of artificial sweetener is superior.

Maybe Neo-conservatism is an accelerationist plot :tinfoil:?

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

id say the fact that it completely reorganized the global hegemony makes it p fuckin significant

Meh. That happens all the time.

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
sperg lord "accelerationists" are as bad as sperg lord "neoreactionaries"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ashgromnies
Jun 19, 2004
actually anyone who spergs about politics and identifies with an ideological label is usually a worthless loser

• Locked thread