Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

EugeneJ posted:

If you're talking about your premiums through a work plan going up, that would qualify you for an Obamacare plan on the exchange. Employer plans can't exceed more than 9% of your salary.

For a family or individual?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

For a family or individual?

Individual - the family plans are hosed

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

EugeneJ posted:

Individual - the family plans are hosed

Well, there you go then! Group death is costing me more than real insurance was a year ago. Obviously the system is working. I love having to haggle with my doctor for prescriptions because they can't profit as much from my insurance anymore!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

You can remove your own teeth with pliers! Something something about poor people having refridgerators.

well no because you end up paying like what, ~$50-$100/mo and then you're still out of pocket the first $500 or so. And it only covers (most of the time) half the cost of major procedures, 75% the cost of fillings and crowns and poo poo, and 100% the cost of check ups (lol the $50 check up).

So how is it cost effective? Nix it entirely and just pay out of pocket. They usually give you a good discount if you don't have insurance. If you take care of your teeth you'll be paying a lot less. I had all my wisdom teeth + another bad tooth pulled for $1900 which was expensive but it's not like insurance would have saved me any money really.

And I had to option of going to Mexico and doing it for half that but that seemed like too much of a hassle. But it's not particularly sketchy, there's whole towns set up around US doctors going down and practicing dentistry just across the border for cheap.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 01:32 on Sep 29, 2014

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

well no because you end up paying like what, ~$100/mo and then you're still out of pocket the first $500 or so. And it only covers (most of the time) half the cost of major procedures, 75% the cost of fillings and crowns and poo poo, and 100% the cost of check ups (lol the $50 check up).

So how is it cost effective? Nix it entirely and just pay out of pocket. They usually give you a good discount if you don't have insurance. If you take care of your teeth you'll be paying a lot less. I had all my wisdom teeth + another bad tooth pulled for $1900 which was expensive but it's not like insurance would have saved me any money really.

I used to have an actual not lovely dental policy where I would get check ups for a $10 copay, 95-100% on crowns and fillings, surgery etc.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

I used to have an actual not lovely dental policy where I would get check ups for a $10 copay, 95-100% on crowns and fillings, surgery etc.

how much did you pay per month though?

I mean yeah you can find good policies but just generally speaking as a person who doesn't have health coverage through their employer most dental policies offered end up loving you.

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

how much did you pay per month though?

I mean yeah you can find good policies but just generally speaking as a person who doesn't have health coverage through their employer most dental policies offered end up loving you.

About 1/3rd as much as I'm paying now for group death.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

HEY VAPER posted:

About 1/3rd as much as I'm paying now for group death.

well you said you're paying 30% of your salary so a third of that is still too much imo

idk why we can't just get socialized medicine already, the concept of profit driven healthcare is ridiculous

HEY VAPER
May 15, 2014

by XyloJW

Moridin920 posted:

well you said you're paying 30% of your salary so a third of that is still too much imo

idk why we can't just get socialized medicine already, the concept of profit driven healthcare is ridiculous

Oh I agree that it definitely was hosed big time before obamacare. I'm only saying that in my personal world bubble, it's gotten significantly worse since Obamacare and that I'm now seriously considering living without healthcare because I realistically can't afford it anymore and the coverage I'm paying for now isn't very good since I can't afford my copays now.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
yeah it's definitely hosed some people and helped others, didn't mean to imply it was good for everyone

extra stout
Feb 24, 2005

ISILDUR's ERR
ive decided were all on the wrong end of this coin - if any american hospital owners are reading this i will do observation for 144 dollars a patient, or we can split it since you own the place

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

HEY VAPER posted:

That all said, pre-obama care, a Canadian friend of mine got tricked by a nurse into having a wristband put on him (she snuck up behind him and attached it to him in the waiting room, in front of me and his family) and that cost him almost $3,000 so I don't think that system was very good either.

lol wut? bullshit, ayyyyyy

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/09/21/us/drive-by-doctoring-surprise-medical-bills.html?_r=0

Before his three-hour neck surgery for herniated disks in December, Peter Drier, 37, signed a pile of consent forms. A bank technology manager who had researched his insurance coverage, Mr. Drier was prepared when the bills started arriving: $56,000 from Lenox Hill Hospital in Manhattan, $4,300 from the anesthesiologist and even $133,000 from his orthopedist, who he knew would accept a fraction of that fee.

He was blindsided, though, by a bill of about $117,000 from an “assistant surgeon,” a Queens-based neurosurgeon whom Mr. Drier did not recall meeting.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
the USA medical system is totally whacked out lol

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
my kid cost me $125

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

Moridin920 posted:

the USA medical system is totally whacked out lol

no no no no no it's v=best in world even though no one can afford it

so you see how you are wrong

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
someone was telling me how the doctors had to make money too because their education costs are so high

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Moridin920 posted:

someone was telling me how the doctors had to make money too because their education costs are so high

this is because the ama artificially restricts the supply

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

yes. despite how expensive medical care is here a lot of doctors never get out of their school debt

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
well right but the insanity is that the education should be super cheap or free like it is in other sane countries so the doctors wouldn't have to go into crushing debt and it would be a non issue

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Moridin920 posted:

well right but the insanity is that the education should be super cheap or free like it is in other sane countries so the doctors wouldn't have to go into crushing debt and it would be a non issue
um who would pay for the education then? checkmate heh

maybe doctors would be able to pay their school debt off if it wasnt for haggling motherfuckers

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

doctors like to play god and smoke cigarettes hth thread

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

a hole-y ghost posted:

um who would pay for the education then? checkmate heh

maybe doctors would be able to pay their school debt off if it wasnt for haggling motherfuckers

education isn't a limited commodity though

and usually they can haggle so much because they are artificially inflating the gently caress out of the price just to get $$$ from the insurance company so when they know you don't have insurance they give you something better (or risk you not paying at all).

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

drs more like mctrs

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

why is education so expensive here anyway? none of the professors i know make much at all and a lot of them cant even afford to have cars lol

Do it ironically
Jul 13, 2010

by Pragmatica
having unviersal health care would actually cost the us government less than what they pay without it :)

Captain Candiru
Nov 9, 2006

These hips don't lye

a hole-y ghost posted:

why is education so expensive here anyway? none of the professors i know make much at all and a lot of them cant even afford to have cars lol

It's just another system in America where administration costs have skyrocketed combined with a system of debt that lets users (in this case, students) become government subsidized ATMs.

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Do it ironically posted:

having unviersal health care would actually cost the us government less than what they pay without it :)
hmm i didnt know commies could make jokes

Whatev
Jan 19, 2007

unfading

Mike the TV posted:

Don't be obtuse. The US ranks 5th in the world for net average wealth per adult and in those top 5 ranks the lowest for average debt.

Man, I really hope you're just fuckin around and didn't drop out of middle school math class before you learned the difference between means and medians.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
if 10 American adults have 1 dollar and the eleventh has a million the 'average' is going to be ~$100,000 but that doesn't mean everyone has $100,000.

even right above that chart in the image you posted it says look at the median for a more accurate number. don't be obtuse indeed.

Ivor Biggun
Apr 30, 2003

A big "Fuck You!" from the Keyhole nebula

Lipstick Apathy

paranoid randroid posted:

im going to run for tribune of the plebs on the platform of giving every person in congress and the forbes 500 a flesh eating virus

Poors like rich people for some reason but _no-one_ likes Congress. Campaign on the first point and wait until your second term before moving on to the riches.

Ignatius M. Meen
May 26, 2011

Hello yes I heard there was a lovely trainwreck here and...

Zzulu posted:

Explain yourselves immediately, americans

our government is run by rich assholes who listen to other rich assholes who like it this way because they make fat stacks from this system

said rich assholes are protected by lots of cops so it's not like we can forcibly realign their heads either

cmykJester
Feb 16, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Ivor Biggun posted:

Poors like rich people for some reason

ONE DAY ILL BOOTSTRAP MY WAY OUT OF THIS lovely JOB AND ILL BE A MILLIONAIRE BETTER MAKE SURE RICH PEOPLE GET EVERYTHING BECAUSE ILL BE ONE.

Something idiots believe.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Zzulu posted:

It cost 60 bucks to deliver my sisters baby here in Sweden. It was mostly for the extra hospital food

That 60 bucks is subsidized from Notch's hard earned income that you leeched from him

jenny jones fan
Dec 24, 2007
For profit health care is a really good ide-

http://www.mlive.com/news/detroit/index.ssf/2014/09/doctor_pleads_guilty_to_orderi.html

Only killed a few people though! :thumbsup:

But at least it paid for his modest home:

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
Why the hell are you call concerned about getting hurt when none of you even go outside and all have single floor living?

Your places don't even have stairs in them.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp

The Taint Reaper posted:

Why the hell are you call concerned about getting hurt when none of you even go outside and all have single floor living?

Your places don't even have stairs in them.

Why would a place having stairs in it be a plus. Have fun climbing that poo poo when you're old. Lmao.

Tsinava
Nov 15, 2009

by Ralp
whoosh

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
I'm not even going to say anything snide about this, because honestly, at this point I just pity you poor fuckers. I hope you get your stuff together and beat up the rich until they say uncle sometime soon.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Cardiovorax posted:

I'm not even going to say anything snide about this, because honestly, at this point I just pity you poor fuckers. I hope you get your stuff together and beat up the rich until they say uncle sometime soon.

The rich aren't the problem, the bureaucracy is. Most of these places are just a jobs program for the unskilled so they have a shitload of people who can't help you in the healthcare industry.

• Locked thread