Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Hissing Butt posted:

when you see it you'll poo poo bricks

what is this soem sort of forest or somethong? Is this where cold guy is going to off hisemf when he gets cancer?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

communism bitch
Apr 24, 2009

logical phalluses posted:

since there's been a lot of talk about russian lit, i'm curious what people here think of dostoyevsky's the brothers karamazov, which i, having read it, think is a masterpiece.
I've jumped into it twice and got thrown out both times around about the the part where Karamazov senior causes a scene at the monastery, after the meeting with the father, fairly early in. Can't form any clear, coherent impressions on it, except I have a nagging feeling that Alyosha is gonna get loving broken by the end of the book.

Big fan of Dostoyevsky's shorter works - particularly House of the Dead, which has that inimitable taste of reality about it. Obviously it's at least semi-autobiographical, and I wouldn't be surprised to learn that every word of it comes from his own experiences. It paints a perfect picture of a place and time that I couldn't otherwise form any notion of, and it fuckin owns owns owns.

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
For the record I bought war and peace to use as toilet paper .

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

mazzi Chart Czar posted:

Ohhh gently caress the Rostov family they just could not stop loving up! The failed marriage, the dead son, the gambling debts, the horrible friends, if it weren't for the fact they were so loving nice, they deserved to become peasants.

Dad I cannot control myself when I drink and I've racked up an enormous debt.

Oh... okay... I'll just sell some of the land we've had in our family for a long time, reducing our life-long income for the rest of our lives.

Flash forward to Anna Karenina where the noble gets completely screwed on a land deal because he refuses to inspect the land and figure in lumber profits, all while a character tries to explain this to him, because he cannot be assed to try and actually negotiate.

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Harime Nui posted:

At least Dostoevsky has a sense of humor about things. When Raskolnikov finds out the afterlife is a giant bureaucracy like the DMV, I died

Wait, what? So that whole thing about going to Siberia was really him in hell or something? I never really got that book tbh.

A book I did get however was The Grapes of Wrath.

Harime Nui
Apr 15, 2008

The New Insincerity
Grapes of Wrath is good but they obviously had no idea where to take it in the second season. The aborted romance arc with Tom and Ryuko was just ignored and the final battle had them creating new powers for the Megatractor out of nowhere just to have a proper shounen ending. Could have cut it down to a 13 episode OAV and told the same story about coming of age and finding who you are as a Kryptonian in Dustbowl Middle America much better, IMO.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

The Grapes of Wrath completely misinterpreted the joy and happiness of the farmer masterfully presented in War and Peace as well as Anna Karenina, where their toil is enjoyable and their existence honorable. TBQH, they are botht he ultimate victims in War and Peace when war ravages their fields, rather than the Russian artistocrats, and the heroes of Anna Karenina, no matter how Konstantin views them as being anti-innovation ("We need to make things 9% more efficient!"... "Why, sir, when there's enough for us all to eat?").

Benny Harvey
Nov 24, 2012

Professor Shark posted:

("We need to make things 9% more efficient!"... "Why, sir, when there's enough for us all to eat?").

That was one of the central themes of Grapes of Wrath though.

Professor Shark
May 22, 2012

I don't know if we can continue this conversation if I've read both books and you've read just the one... the "lighter" of the two, no less.

MegaGatts
Dec 12, 2004

The Enteroctopus dofleini, also known as the giant Pacific octopus (GPO) or North Pacific giant octopus, is a large marine cephalopod belonging to the phylum Mollusca and is tripping balls.

de_dust posted:

crime and punishment is a pretty good book OP you should read it

For the longest time this was the book that beat me. I could just never get into it, but I finished it this summer. My problem is I couldn't mentally pronounce the Russian names so I looked up how to do so phonetically and it got miles easier.

Extra Large Marge
Jan 21, 2004

Fun Shoe
I read Jarhead, but it wasn't about a guy with a jar for a head, it was about the Gulf War.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
I read this recently: http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599

It's a book about how to fly a loving fighter jet, how cool is that?

I don't plan on actually flying a jet anytime soon but if I did, assuming I could figure out how to turn it on, I think I could shoot down some commies now and my worth as an american male is defined based on my ability to kill commies so that makes me a better person.

Also this: http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shooting-High-Speed-Marksmanship/dp/1581601433

It's a book about how to shoot mainly handguns, accurately.. Most of the book is how this method is better than that method but ultimately as a beginner shooter it helped me not to blow my own dick off.

a star war betamax
Sep 17, 2011

by Lowtax
Gary’s Answer

soy posted:

I read this recently: http://www.amazon.com/Fighter-Combat-Maneuvering-Robert-Shaw/dp/0870210599

It's a book about how to fly a loving fighter jet, how cool is that?

I don't plan on actually flying a jet anytime soon but if I did, assuming I could figure out how to turn it on, I think I could shoot down some commies now and my worth as an american male is defined based on my ability to kill commies so that makes me a better person.

Also this: http://www.amazon.com/Surgical-Speed-Shooting-High-Speed-Marksmanship/dp/1581601433

It's a book about how to shoot mainly handguns, accurately.. Most of the book is how this method is better than that method but ultimately as a beginner shooter it helped me not to blow my own dick off.

post reported to the NSA

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry
lol i was at a local bookstore today and they were having some event where people fill out these big 'top 10 most influential books'

there were like 3 sheets but one was literally:

'lord of the rings'
"peoples history of us"
"good omens"
"infinite jest"
"the road"
"cryptomicon"
"freakonomics"
"gravity's rainbow"
"black swan green"
'foundation series'

i lolled

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
House of Leaves wasn't that bad.

Not that good either.

Just kinda sorta worth reading.

soy
Jul 7, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

a starwar betamax posted:

post reported to the NSA

the NSA has a guy who reads every gbs post already

it is me, I am that guy

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Al Cowens posted:

House of Leaves wasn't that bad.

Not that good either.

Just kinda sorta worth reading.

yea i actually agree. it was a big internet/goon favorite and sort of overhyped at the time, but it was an interesting concept and is worth reading once. it's not something that should go on anyone top 25 but doesn't deserve some of the hate it gets now.

some of it was really mediocre but i remember the navidad expedition being cool and some of the crazy insane man writing was fun to read. i dont really remember much about it besides the concept though.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i read brothers karamazov in a week while listening to merzbow and having attained peak literature never read again

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I liked My Ishmel

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
The Brothers Karamazov >>> Anna Karenina >> War and Peace

War and Peace just goes on and on and on and then an "ending" happens; The Brothers Karamazov actually has coherent structure and development. Anna Karenina has development but not much structure and is more focused on the characters' drama than on Big Ideas (which are the reason for reading gigantic old Russian doorstoppers in the first place). Neither The Brothers Karamazov nor Anna Karenina has Lev Tolstoy literally lecturing you for chapters on end about every loving thought that pops into his head.

Sham bam bamina! fucked around with this message at 06:14 on Sep 29, 2014

logical phalluses
Mar 18, 2009

The living look upon the corpse with their eyesight,
But without eyesight lingers a different living and looks
curiously on the corpse.
brothers k and anna k are similar in that they're both attempts by the authors to push their respective brands of christianity, but dostoyevsky has much more profound insight into what religion actually is and how it is important for people. in some ways you could see brothers k as an answer to the question 'how can a person live a moral life without god?' *futilely wipes at cheetos dust on book pages*

Who Is Paul Blart
Oct 22, 2010
Books are gay unless they're about coding, in which case they're not necessarily inspiring but instead they're tools to help you get your dream condo in Oakland or whatever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mein Kampf.

sex excellence
Feb 19, 2011

Satisfaction Guranteed

Professor Shark posted:

I think that Pierre's experiences in War and Peace better encapsulate the affect of war on the human psyche

its actually 'effect' in this situation nice try trying to be right you idiot edit: must be your poo poo book-learning loving sick idiot!!

tolstory died a poor fool who wandered the earth in shame of his hypocrisy enjoy your poo poo book (i read it and from what you've been posting i 'get' it better than you; perfectly in fact)

read a real book like finnegans wake which i also understand fully

once you know whats going on in that you can talk to me but until then youre stupid\\ finnegans wake made me the girl i am today

sex excellence fucked around with this message at 04:28 on Sep 30, 2014

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

i read 2666 while laying in my shithole yard and while i enjoyed the urine and whoremurder i can not recommend it

Cosmik Slop
Oct 9, 2007

What's a hole doing in my TARDIS?

Skeleton King posted:

read a real book like finnegans wake which i also understand fully

Here Comes Erudition

Hayburner
Jan 29, 2005

hi
I have many leather-bound books In my mahogany bookshelf

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois
I have discovered Greg Egan and my autism is flaring up

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
most classic literature is dumb, because modern books took their concept and made it readable. most good books are probably 30 years old or so because they are still culturally relevant, but enough people decided they are good for you to get a easy reading list and they are actually good. Most new books are poo poo and you gotta wait a couple decades for the poo poo to be filtered out.

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013

Al Cowens posted:

I have discovered Greg Egan and my autism is flaring up

The guy from My Two Dads? What did he write?

Al Cowens
Aug 11, 2004

by WE B Bourgeois

ShaqDiesel posted:

The guy from My Two Dads? What did he write?
http://gregegan.customer.netspace.net.au/

fuck. marry. t-rex
Jan 23, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
all i read is the damnable life and deserved death of doctor faustus over and over and i pray each time that satan will sell me some gold and pussy

Ill Peripheral
Jun 29, 2008
The Animorphs

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
There's only one book the reading of which makes a man better and that's the bible, god bless.

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Jim Barris posted:

There's only one book the reading of which makes a man better and that's the bible, god bless.

which version and old or new testament?

Squashing Machine
Jul 5, 2005

I mean boning, the wild mambo, the hunka chunka
Hal Incandenza. The Enfield Tennis Academy. ONAN. Don Gately. The Ennet House Drug and Alcohol Recovery House. Michael Pemulis. Eschaton. Hang yourself in the garage

Vordhosbn
Aug 7, 2008

Jim Barris posted:

I raise you the Diamond Sutra and the Bhagavad Gita.

hohhat
Sep 25, 2014

logical phalluses posted:

brothers k and anna k are similar in that they're both attempts by the authors to push their respective brands of christianity, but dostoyevsky has much more profound insight into what religion actually is and how it is important for people. in some ways you could see brothers k as an answer to the question 'how can a person live a moral life without god?' *futilely wipes at cheetos dust on book pages*

The difference is that Dostoyevsky is more fatalitic, whereas Tolstoy had an agenda, which he laid out in greater detail in his non-fiction. Having an agenda implies some sort of optimism, and Dostoyevsky's pessimism and deep personal flaws resonate more with goons.

Melville's lays out a kind of middle-path version of Christianity, plus you get to learn about obsolete cetology.

RideTheSpiral
Sep 18, 2005
College Slice
lol if you think war and peace is the best piece of russian literature. this is only the opinion of people who have read zero pieces of russian literature

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Read Primo Levi if you want to be a good human being.

• Locked thread