Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Pile Of Garbage
May 28, 2007

what's a rotor?

for that matter, what's a weboos?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl
anyone else remember when someone suggested rotor should put little video guides in his programs where they'd click help and it would look like rotor came around the corner from the program window and look surprised

"oh! hi, i'm rotor. it looks like you're having trouble here..."

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

anyone else remember when someone suggested rotor should put little video guides in his programs where they'd click help and it would look like rotor came around the corner from the program window and look surprised

no, but it sounds very 90s multimedia

rotor as the dad in myst

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde

duTrieux. posted:

the "e" in grey means it's from "e"ngland, the "a" in gray means it's from "a"merica

just a quick pro-tip for those of you who actually have to use both american and queen's english, from a professional worder.

anyone who as ever walked around outside in england will know that they are a natural authority on the colour grey

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

Farmer Crack-rear end posted:

oh I found it: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3273841&pagenumber=2&perpage=40#post373323572

rotor posted:

when I have to display an error message, I display a fullscreen video window of me explaining what happened

"Hi. I'm rotor. I wrote the application you're using. I hope you're enjoying using it as much as I enjoyed writing it. I suppose you're wondering why this video is playing. Well, there seems to be a problem. The program can't write to the directory you selected. This could have several causes ... "

to be sure they watch the whole thing, I disable any play controls except rewind (in case they want to watch it agin) and I also make sure to disable any controls that would allow them to close the window. In addition, i programatically set the system volume to 80%.

biznatchio posted:

bonus points if it's done on a chromakey background and displayed so you just happen to like, walk out on the user's desktop. more bonus points if the video starts like you're mildly surprised to see the user. "oh! hi there! i'm rotor..."

biznatchio posted:

"you might remember me from such errors as 'no disk found in drive a:', 'terminal out of paper', and 'i told you not to fold, spindle, or mutilate the input but you didn't listen'."

JawnV6 posted:

they'd still call and it would just add existential confusion

"wait did I say that or did video me say that?"

rotor posted:

Only who can prevent paper jams?
You pressed "you," referring to me. That is incorrect. The correct answer is "you".

JawnV6 posted:

"Just... just close video rotor ok? He's not helping anymore, just listen to me on the phone. How do you close him?"
*sigh*
"Click the crotch."

rotor posted:

now click it again

god yes

poty
Jun 21, 2008

虹はどこで終わるのですか? あなたの魂の中で、または地平線で?
bring back pagancow he was my fav mod

his stories about videos and codecs were so fun and interesting

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

poty posted:

bring back pagancow he was my fav mod

his stories about videos and codecs were so fun and interesting

http://codecwarriors.yospos.net/

Moo Cowabunga
Jun 15, 2009

[Office Worker.

shouldn't have changed all the tags to amiga and then go have a job for a weekend then.

the people spoke that weekend. they were annoyed at having to look at the same thread tag for a few days and called for ik blood. the people spoke and the admin listened. now we have rotor

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smythe
Oct 12, 2003

duTrieux. posted:

the illuminati is a feat of misdirection. the real conspiracy lies elsewhere.

alright you posted the one weird trick for gray and grey, now, tell me the weird trick for lie, lay, lies, etc. hook a brutha up

• Locked thread