Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

our whole value ssytem is based on monetary worth, even though money doesnt even make us happy and accumulation of wealth actively makes everyone else miserable. our lives are based around greed for greeds sake

most of us spend our time doing menial jobs so divorced from an actual product that we end uo feeling empty and unfulfilled. the joy of being a skilled craftsman is forever lost us as we spend 8 hours in a lovely office doing absolutely nothing that has real value

our lives are governed by a seemingly endless bureaucracy that also exists only to perpetuate its own existance. doing even the most simple task requires a multitude of forms and ids that end up in a warehouse forever, never to be looked at again

the tradeoff to all of this is our amazing technology, but all it does is alienate us from other people, when social interaction is the only thing that can make us truly happy

modernity loving sucks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Digi_Kraken
Sep 4, 2011
epic fight club opinions bro

super edgy

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
shut the gently caress up Cato

klapman
Aug 27, 2012

this char is good
yea but I also dont have to leave my house to get a pizza so theres pros and cons

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
uh I don't think you can say it's separated us when grindr exists

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

babypolis posted:

our whole value ssytem is based on monetary worth, even though money doesnt even make us happy and accumulation of wealth actively makes everyone else miserable. our lives are based around greed for greeds sake

most of us spend our time doing menial jobs so divorced from an actual product that we end uo feeling empty and unfulfilled. the joy of being a skilled craftsman is forever lost us as we spend 8 hours in a lovely office doing absolutely nothing that has real value

our lives are governed by a seemingly endless bureaucracy that also exists only to perpetuate its own existance. doing even the most simple task requires a multitude of forms and ids that end up in a warehouse forever, never to be looked at again

the tradeoff to all of this is our amazing technology, but all it does is alienate us from other people, when social interaction is the only thing that can make us truly happy

modernity loving sucks

money=availability of resources to an individual this is no different than ancient times.

Sidecrab
Jul 16, 2012

Sounds like someone's got a case of the Mondays :yayclod:

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

modernity loving sucks

lmao you wrote all these words while you should instead be trying to make some money you loving poor

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

gently caress this gay earth

Sancho
Jul 18, 2003

Antiquity was so much better when 50% of everyone died at 21 by making GBS threads their organs out their rear end

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
The joy of plowing the land for 16 hours in exchange for half a loaf of bread and a jug of wine is forever lost. :negative:

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Chinatown posted:

lmao you wrote all these words while you should instead be trying to make some money you loving poor

another great thing about modern life is that we have 8+ hour workdays but most people only do actual work like 3 hours a day

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
I liked The Lord of the Rings too. Can't wait for the Silmarillion.

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

another great thing about modern life is that we have 8+ hour workdays but most people only do actual work like 3 hours a day

Yup and I get paid for 8 hours. Its called working the system.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Sancho posted:

Antiquity was so much better when 50% of everyone died at 21 by making GBS threads their organs out their rear end

MeLKoR posted:

The joy of plowing the land for 16 hours in exchange for half a loaf of bread and a jug of wine is forever lost. :negative:

life has been poo poo forever but at least thosee dudes didnt pretend existance was anything more than a miserable hellhole

old beast lunatic
Nov 3, 2004

by Hand Knit
I'm sorry sir, but we gota take your balls.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

Sancho posted:

I agree

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Chinatown posted:

Yup and I get paid for 8 hours. Its called working the system.

or you could work 3 hours and get paid the same and actually have time to enjoy your life and pursue your own interests but gently caress doing anything that makes sense

1gnoirents
Jun 28, 2014

hello :)
thats when you join a church OP when you cant deal

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

its okay op it'll all be over soon once the planet heats up

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
late antiquity would eat your nerd rear end whole and spit out your bones

fuccboi
Jan 5, 2004

by zen death robot
I agree with the OP, but how do u feel about the fact that only comfortable whites can make that realization, that life is profoundly difficult for those who are barely abel to sustain themselves through subsistence farming. the fact that we can bring ourselves to the point where boredom and obesity are our biggest problems are good problems to have.

Corey Plumper
Nov 22, 2008

There are still many skilled trades out there OP

Chinatown
Sep 11, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
Fun Shoe

babypolis posted:

or you could work 3 hours and get paid the same and actually have time to enjoy your life and pursue your own interests but gently caress doing anything that makes sense

lol its cute you think poo poo works like this

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

We should go back to a hunter-gatherer where everyone lives in small tribes and 70% of children die of easily preventable diseases during childhood and the sick and disabled have no hope of survival. It would be pretty rad.

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
not a day goes by in my life that i do not face the heavens and sincerely thank our lord and savior jesus christ that i do not have to know how to plow a field with an ox + mouldboard

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

life has been poo poo forever but at least thosee dudes didnt pretend existance was anything more than a miserable hellhole

Well if you want the full experience nothing is preventing you from working 16 hours a day and giving away all your wages but $2 per day.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

paranoid randroid posted:

late antiquity would eat your nerd rear end whole and spit out your bones

late antiquity myself would be naturally buff and tanned. our flabby, plae bodies aare yet another strike agaisnt modernity

Slipknot Hoagie posted:

I agree with the OP, but how do u feel about the fact that only comfortable whites can make that realization, that life is profoundly difficult for those who are barely abel to sustain themselves through subsistence farming. the fact that we can bring ourselves to the point where boredom and obesity are our biggest problems are good problems to have.

being aware of the natural injustice of the world sucks too, before you could just imagine everyone else was a filthy savage in dire need of civilization

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Revolt_Against_the_Modern_World

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
Whenever I take a poo poo, it goes into a magical bowl that transports it miles away from my domicile and I never have to see it again. What could I stand to gain from a society that can't provide that luxury?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
the imminent thread of nuclear annihilation was just so rad

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Chinatown posted:

lol its cute you think poo poo works like this

of course it loving doesnt work like that but it should

MeLKoR
Dec 23, 2004

by FactsAreUseless

babypolis posted:

late antiquity myself would be naturally buff and tanned. our flabby, plae bodies aare yet another strike agaisnt modernity

You're not gonna get buff on 1500 calories per day and a belly full of tapeworms.

GBS Ambassador
Oct 31, 2013

babypolis posted:

Unless you are referring to another country, productivity in the U.S. have skyrocketed over the past several decades whereas income remained stagnant.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Counterpoint:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gy88-5pc7c8

paranoid randroid
Mar 4, 2007
me, the cool and detached modern: how the gently caress do you preserve a fish? haha beats me.
everyone from ancient times: *looks on with barely suppressed jealousy*

Future Mrs Booger
Jan 18, 2012
This is America! If you don't make money, then you're a fuckin' douchebag!

DoctorStrangelove
Jun 7, 2012

IT WOULD NOT BE DIFFICULT MEIN FUHRER!

I agree OP. I would much rather a life of subsistence farming where my ability to not painfully starve to death is tied to how much rain we'll be getting this week.

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

GBS Ambassador posted:

Unless you are referring to another country, productivity in the U.S. have skyrocketed over the past several decades whereas income remained stagnant.

complete dominance by our corporate overlords while society feeds us with a bunch of trash about how we are so free to do whatever we want and that success is abviable to everyone is dumb too. nobody told a peasant he was anything more than a bitchmade fuckboy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

enzeen
Sep 23, 2010
I'm a poor

• Locked thread