Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW
really i dunno more people die every day now thanks to moderninity sounds like things are good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!

TOILETLORD posted:

they do that while making GBS threads out blood into their villages water supply.

Without the crushing rigidity of the forty hour work week, they are able to poo poo that blood whenever the need comes.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Dozens of people dissatisfied with their lives but too timorous to dream. Depressing, isn't it?

TOILETLORD
Nov 13, 2012

by XyloJW

Tricky D posted:

Without the crushing rigidity of the forty hour work week, they are able to poo poo that blood whenever the need comes.

get a job where you work a ever changing schedule

ShaqDiesel
Mar 21, 2013
If you miss ye olden days so drat much just dress up like medieval peasant/knight/lord in the abundant free time modern society provides.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
But seriously any service that allows me semi-anonymous gay sex does not drive us apart gently caress you op

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

babypolis posted:

our whole value ssytem is based on monetary worth, even though money doesnt even make us happy and accumulation of wealth actively makes everyone else miserable. our lives are based around greed for greeds sake

most of us spend our time doing menial jobs so divorced from an actual product that we end uo feeling empty and unfulfilled. the joy of being a skilled craftsman is forever lost us as we spend 8 hours in a lovely office doing absolutely nothing that has real value

our lives are governed by a seemingly endless bureaucracy that also exists only to perpetuate its own existance. doing even the most simple task requires a multitude of forms and ids that end up in a warehouse forever, never to be looked at again

the tradeoff to all of this is our amazing technology, but all it does is alienate us from other people, when social interaction is the only thing that can make us truly happy

modernity loving sucks

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Sancho posted:

Antiquity was so much better when 50% of everyone died at 21 by making GBS threads their organs out their rear end

This didn't happen fucktard

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

butplug accident posted:

This didn't happen fucktard

This is correct. If you made it out of childhood you were likely to live to live to be at least 60. However a lot of people died as kids from making GBS threads their organs out their rear end.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

FreudianSlippers posted:

This is correct. If you made it out of childhood you were likely to live to live to be at least 60. However a lot of people died as kids from making GBS threads their organs out their rear end.

Thank u

PenguinBob
Oct 12, 2000
most of your issues with modernity could be solved by eating the rich, imo.

Bobert Bobertson
Apr 1, 2014
I got a real nasty splinter + won't have to die a horrible death since antiseptics exist, modernity is p cool

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

i was waiting for you to show up to this thread

Jimbo Jaggins
Jul 19, 2013

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
guys I think the Internet is full of jerks, maybe none of anything we ever invented was good

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

The Candyman Can :science:

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

babypolis posted:

this guy gets it. at least previous generations didnt have to pretend this was all cool and good

Right, because back in the unmodern day you could just be like "The king sucks and I hate digging for potatoes and gently caress you!" without getting a spike through your head and having your family sold into slavery.

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
the wheel was a terrible idea

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Right, because back in the unmodern day you could just be like "The king sucks and I hate digging for potatoes and gently caress you!" without getting a spike through your head and having your family sold into slavery.

it was more like basically every aspect of culture told you that life was hell on earth and the only reason to trudge tru that poo poo was the afterlife

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Better this than to die in a gutter after getting bankrupted by a preventable disease. Also lol, this is still how the world works especially in poorer nations. Or just try talking poo poo to your boss and see what happens

TontoCorazon
Aug 18, 2007

I'm pretty sure money can buy me happiness. Do you know how much pussy I could buy with money?

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Leroy Diplowski posted:

You could say this much more than you can today, because the laird wasn't constantly watching you and probably hated the king's unreasonable scutage taxes too. The tradeoff? Bandits, mainly, and shittier agriculture.

Tricky D
Apr 1, 2005

I love um!
I can go to the supermarket and get seasonal fruits and vegetables whenever, but am envious of people who had their teeth ground down to nubs by the dirt ground into their flour.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
It's glorious to see all the Dr. Panglosses posting in GBS, resolutely assured in the impossibility of improvement.

Cardiovorax
Jun 5, 2011

I mean, if you're a successful actress and you go out of the house in a skirt and without underwear, knowing that paparazzi are just waiting for opportunities like this and that it has happened many times before, then there's really nobody you can blame for it but yourself.
You spend a few months actually making poo poo with your hands and then tell me again how "deeply satisfying" that is on a daily basis. I am so loving glad I decided to go to college after all.

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Cardiovorax posted:

You spend a few months actually making poo poo with your hands and then tell me again how "deeply satisfying" that is on a daily basis. I am so loving glad I decided to go to college after all.

~All is for the best, in this best of all possible worlds!~

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Cardiovorax posted:

making something cool that actually exists in this world as something tangible >>>> managing excel spreadsheets

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Effectronica posted:

You could say this much more than you can today, because the laird wasn't constantly watching you and probably hated the king's unreasonable scutage taxes too. The tradeoff? Bandits, mainly, and shittier agriculture.

No, because the king is there by god's sole will and your neighbor would sooner report you than risk his family growing ill due to the wrath of god. Also there would not be widespread availability of literature like Candide for you to make condescending literary references from.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

babypolis posted:

making something cool that actually exists in this world as something tangible >>>> managing excel spreadsheets

Lol at anyone who tries to make anything tangible without excel spreadsheets. Have fun managing your production schedule, or controlling your costs. Hope you're ready to sit in the mud for hours scratching at the dirt and arranging pebbles.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax

Leroy Diplowski posted:

No, because the king is there by god's sole will and your neighbor would sooner report you than risk his family growing ill due to the wrath of god. Also there would not be widespread availability of literature like Candide for you to make condescending literary references from.

This is what happens when your view of the past is mediated entirely through must see TV

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Nobody believed in the divine right of kings during the Middle Ages. That didn't become popular until early modern times. Nor did the surveillance state exist back then.

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Lol at anyone who tries to make anything tangible without excel spreadsheets. Have fun managing your production schedule, or controlling your costs. Hope you're ready to sit in the mud for hours scratching at the dirt and arranging pebbles.

Clearly you haven't heard of Doobie's Dog House.

Beef Turret
Jul 9, 2009

by Lowtax
The past was so terrible they didn't even have lunchables or books or nothing. Just pointy sticks that they used to kill each other with, which is hosed up compared to modern horrors like the gulags. The past was like Mad Max without dragsters basically. And they even died of their teeth because they hadn't invented spit yet. I'm so glad to live in modern times where our work hours are higher, our ecology is fragmented and instead of being the property of lords and kings we now have the opportunity to be everyone's slave

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

Effectronica posted:

Nobody believed in the divine right of kings during the Middle Ages. That didn't become popular until early modern times. Nor did the surveillance state exist back then.

Divinity of Leaders has been a recurring theme in dozens of cultures throughout human existence. I'm arguing against the nebulous idea of "non modernity" not referring to any specific time period.

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

but seriously the invention of the steam engine was the worst moment in human history

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

also im glad that my friend effectronica is here to set you all straight

he has good opinions about everything, except for the fact that michigan sucks

Justin Tyme
Feb 22, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!
ya id rather be a human being dirt farmer with an ugly rear end wife and leper children who can't even read or write than have to put up with ANOTHER loving MINUTE of barbara's constant nagging about the report that I TOLD HER i would have had done if she would have left me alone about it!!!

but at least i'd be a skilled whittler

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib

Leroy Diplowski posted:

Divinity of Leaders has been a recurring theme in dozens of cultures throughout human existence. I'm arguing against the nebulous idea of "non modernity" not referring to any specific time period.

"Modern" ideas of government far outnumbered sincere belief in god-kings throughout history.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
Things will be fine when they invent the hoverboard. Just chill till then and everything will be cool.

Leroy Diplowski
Aug 25, 2005

Visit My Candy Shop

And SA Mart Thread

The Scientific American posted:

COOK: What would you say is the biggest misconception people have about violence?
PINKER: That we are living in a violent age. The statistics suggest that this may be the most peaceable time in our species’s existence.

COOK: Can you give a sense for how violent life was 500 or 1000 years ago?
PINKER: Statistics aside, accounts of daily life in medieval and early modern Europe reveal a society soaked in blood and gore. Medieval knights—whom today we would call warlords—fought their numerous private wars with a single strategy: kill as many of the opposing knight’s peasants as possible. Religious instruction included prurient descriptions of how the saints of both sexes were tortured and mutilated in ingenious ways. Corpses broken on the wheel, hanging from gibbets, or rotting in iron cages where the sinner had been left to die of exposure and starvation were a common part of the landscape. For entertainment, one could nail a cat to a post and try to head-butt it to death, or watch a political prisoner get drawn and quartered, which is to say partly strangled, disemboweled, and castrated before being decapitated. So many people had their noses cut off in private disputes that medical textbooks had procedures that were alleged to grow them back.

E: admit it, you fuckers just want to headbutt cats to death

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Effectronica
May 31, 2011
Fallen Rib
Considering that they had to limit people to five months of vacation time in the late 14th century, peasants probably worked fewer hours than we do.

• Locked thread