Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

I'm a good way into the story campaign, but haven't touched adventure mode yet. What exactly is the online friend integration stuff about?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

conceitedguy
Nov 8, 2013

Also check this out:

Heatwizard
Nov 6, 2009

Also if you're having trouble holding keeps after you've left, outposts, especially the ones behind your lines, are important. The game likes to spawn blobs of red all across the map, including in your territory. While keeps are often stocked with plenty of guys to deal with poo poo like that, outposts are always manned by a skeleton crew, and the AI knows it. I always made priority 1 to make sure all the outposts I could reach were blue before doing anything else, and Hard didn't give me all that much trouble. Admittedly, though, I had a co-op buddy, so we could split up to make progress and clean up stray enemies at the same time.

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.

THE loving MOON posted:

Hurray, my title! :neckbeard:

Just unlocked Ruto about an hour ago, whats the deal with that water gauge? It seems like she might be pretty good, but I think I'm missing something critical. Seems like shes pretty good at killing weak points, but I haven't played her enough yet to be sure.

The water gauge activates when you hit Strong Attack (Y if you're using the Zelda controls, not sure with the other set), and makes Ruto into sort of a stationary turret where you can shoot really long range waves that push back enemies and do a good amount of damage. I find with a full gauge I can generally pull off 3 wave shots.

As a tip for Legend Mode, since I was an idiot and got killed a lot on this part, when you revisit the Temple of Souls and Volga is enchanted with Cia's dark power , DON'T RUSH HIM. Let Zelda finish talking to him first and he becomes much easier. Otherwise he'll take out most of your health in a single combo.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'll hop on the NNID train. liquidypoo is mine. It's been a while since I've added someone on the WiiU, we actually have friend requests now, right? Nintendo started to do some smart things?

LordHippoman
May 30, 2013

I, frankly, want this smug Jagen to be my avatar on all forms of social media immediately.
Oh, something that everyone should know for Adventure Mode.

On any maps where "all attacks are devastating", use the Bow for everything. It one shots even enemy captains, and there's a medal for completing a map using only items. Easiest to get here.

THE FUCKING MOON
Jan 19, 2008

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

the water gauge is for her X attack. she shoots waves at people that each take about a fourth of the gauge. And I think if it's full when you start the attack, she fires off a really large wave at the end.

LordHippman posted:

The water gauge activates when you hit Strong Attack (Y if you're using the Zelda controls, not sure with the other set), and makes Ruto into sort of a stationary turret where you can shoot really long range waves that push back enemies and do a good amount of damage. I find with a full gauge I can generally pull off 3 wave shots.

As a tip for Legend Mode, since I was an idiot and got killed a lot on this part, when you revisit the Temple of Souls and Volga is enchanted with Cia's dark power , DON'T RUSH HIM. Let Zelda finish talking to him first and he becomes much easier. Otherwise he'll take out most of your health in a single combo.

Cool, thanks. I'll have to take another crack at her later once I get a starred out weapon for her. That seems like it could be useful.

After buffing out Darunia's combos with Kokiri Swords, he's a lot better than I gave him credit for to start with. His weak gauge poo poo sucks hard though, I can almost never knock out the gauge in a single go with him- his attacks just come out too slow. Lotsa fun though. :v:

^^edit: The bow is definitely legit for those missions, that's how I get compasses whenever I need one. I can clear the first one with Lana in less than 2 minutes without taking damage. :eyepop:

Xad
Jul 2, 2009

"Either Sonic is God, or could kill God, and I do not care if there is a difference!"

College Slice

LordHippoman posted:

Aha, I figured it was supposed to be Zelda. I spent that mission playing as Zelda, so instead Ruto was the one being all important and leader-y, which seemed really weird. I wonder if she had any different dialogue/if that happens with other missions/characters?

cell
Nov 25, 2003

The more Johnny the better.

Dastardly posted:

You can't heal keeps. If your allied base is that low then you've already messed up and let it become that way. Give it some time and you'll be able to prioritize what's happening on the map, you can also always pause the game and check the battle log to see what's going on.
The first warning usually means you should check it out soon but there's still time to finish what you're currently doing. If a character is in danger then you need to book it as fast as you possibly can.

I kind of feel that keeps heal over time as they respawn more defenders. I've gone into a keep to clear out attackers, run off to do something else and then when I've passed back through the strength is higher than I left it. That could just be a trigger based 'reinforcement' as part of the level progression, though.

My NNID is cellect for anyone adding!

Snidhog
Dec 31, 2007

THE loving MOON posted:

After buffing out Darunia's combos with Kokiri Swords, he's a lot better than I gave him credit for to start with. His weak gauge poo poo sucks hard though, I can almost never knock out the gauge in a single go with him- his attacks just come out too slow. Lotsa fun though. :v:

Try using his standard Strong Attack. If you get it in early enough it knocks them up in the air, keeping the weak gauge up and doing considerable damage. Just remember to keep mashing that button.

Just Andi Now
Nov 8, 2009

LordHippoman posted:

Oh, something that everyone should know for Adventure Mode.

On any maps where "all attacks are devastating", use the Bow for everything. It one shots even enemy captains, and there's a medal for completing a map using only items. Easiest to get here.

If you have Zelda's Wind Waker, it's actually way better than the bow. The strong attack by itself (no combo) will clear entire rooms. It also has virtually no start up time and can be dodge-cancelled.

Just Andi Now fucked around with this message at 21:32 on Sep 29, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My NNID is RegyRusty. Can anyone do a writeup on what kinds of benefits you get from both sides of Network battles?

Anyway here's my biggest advice to people if you're having trouble getting overwhelmed by all the things going on - pause frequently. Your pause menu gives you a bigger map, and more importantly, if you go to "Battlefield Info" you can see the location and health of all allies, keeps, and enemy commanders. Use this to find people who need help, or to see where the enemy raiders are attacking so you can go kill them. It's incredibly useful. Remember that this is half a strategy game, and that part doesn't have to be fast paced!

HondaCivet
Oct 16, 2005

And then it falls
And then I fall
And then I know

Xad posted:

As someone who has played through a good portion of Legend mode in co-op, I can safely say that it's awesome. One person plays on the gamepad, the other plays on the TV using either a wiimote+nunchuk or a pro controller. P1 is still limited to whatever characters you can pick for that mission, but P2 can pick whoever out of the characters you've unlocked.

Weird thing though--it'll just spawn an "extra" copy of that character for them to play as. So if the mission includes Link and Impa, and P1 plays as Link, and P2 picks Impa, there will still be a CPU-controlled Impa helping you out in addition to your friend running around as Impa.

Aside from that, you can do co-op in literally any mode afaik, just make sure P2 hits + to join in when you're on the character select screen. The only limitation is that you can't both pick the same character.

EDIT: Oh also my NNID is XAdmiralMundane.

Glad to hear you're enjoying it! I'd heard something about performance problems with local co-op, can you say anything to that?

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

Regy Rusty posted:

My NNID is RegyRusty. Can anyone do a writeup on what kinds of benefits you get from both sides of Network battles?

Anyway here's my biggest advice to people if you're having trouble getting overwhelmed by all the things going on - pause frequently. Your pause menu gives you a bigger map, and more importantly, if you go to "Battlefield Info" you can see the location and health of all allies, keeps, and enemy commanders. Use this to find people who need help, or to see where the enemy raiders are attacking so you can go kill them. It's incredibly useful. Remember that this is half a strategy game, and that part doesn't have to be fast paced!

Yeah, this is what I use when I need to chase down the people I know are going to be problems for me if I leave them alive long enough for the boss to show up. It's way easier to find them in the pause menu. hit left and right arrows within the menu to toggle between your folks, the baddies, and the locations of keeps.

Dastardly
Jun 14, 2011

Fresh outta hecks.
Wow, the great fairy is absolutely awful except for having a wonky hitbox

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Qapla' to a true warrior! :patriot:

Oh yeah, NNID is ShockLobster.

Widestancer posted:

What's the nude code is there one

I want to see some animated tits.

Who needs a nude patch. There are giant tits just about everywhere. Nude would be overkill on an overkill.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

mabels big day posted:

"To halt the Imprisoned's advance, you need to use The Groosenator"

That's just loving low, game. Why do you do this to me.

I wish Groose's theme was unlockable so I could have it playing the entire time.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

If I go into a map that's offering say, Ghirham's level 2 sword and I clear it with Link do I still get the weapon?

I ask because his level 2 has a chicken that spawns in and follows you around and Gigglefits has no idea what control is and blows the chicken up with any of his combos

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

If I go into a map that's offering say, Ghirham's level 2 sword and I clear it with Link do I still get the weapon?

I ask because his level 2 has a chicken that spawns in and follows you around and Gigglefits has no idea what control is and blows the chicken up with any of his combos

Glad to know I'm not the only one having issues with that particular cucco.

Speaking of Gear-Ham, what does his strong attack even do? Does the little red laser do anything besides a tiny amount of damage on first contact with the enemy?

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.
One interesting thing of note for me is this game is basically my first real exposure to Skyward Sword past the intro, and it's interesting how much my dislike of that game has deepened as a result.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
Skyward Sword is a great game but I can see why what is here isn't that interesting.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

My NNID is WIDESTANCER please make sure that you do NOT report my miiverse posts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Eej posted:

Skyward Sword is a great game but I can see why what is here isn't that interesting.
Iunno, this game's version of Impa is basically lifted from Skyward Sword, and Impa rules in this game.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Indigo Cephalopods posted:

Glad to know I'm not the only one having issues with that particular cucco.

Speaking of Gear-Ham, what does his strong attack even do? Does the little red laser do anything besides a tiny amount of damage on first contact with the enemy?

It makes his knives home in on that one enemy, it's not terribly useful.

Drowning Rabbit
Oct 28, 2003

YAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY!

Not a Children posted:

They drop nothing, they're there purely as a punishment mechanic.

While gold cuccoos do drop nothing, killing a gold one does get the cuccoo army to fight for you instead.

Orange Crush Rush
May 7, 2009

You don't need thumbs for revenge
Why does Ghiarhim need to stop and laugh while fixing his hair for 2 minutes after every single attack you do as him

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

I just got a Lv3. Fire Rod with 5 Stars and 6 Slots from doing a buddy mission. :eyepop:

Orange Crush Rush posted:

Why does Ghiarhim need to stop and laugh while fixing his hair for 2 minutes after every single attack you do as him

Yeah, I'm trying to figure him out. If you use a strong attack out of a combo he seems to mark an enemy with a beam to it, but I don't know what that does. You can also follow up some combos by pressing strong a few more times and he'll do poo poo like snap his fingers and summon a posse of minions.

Oxyclean fucked around with this message at 22:35 on Sep 29, 2014

Brackhar
Aug 26, 2006

I'll give you a definite maybe.

Eej posted:

I dunno, the design of The Imprisoned seems really... bad? And apparently he's a repeating boss in Skyward Sword?

Eh, this isn't a thread about that game anyway, so nevermind. Just a thought.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So.. what's the benefit of adding people's codes? :v:

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS

Brackhar posted:

I dunno, the design of The Imprisoned seems really... bad? And apparently he's a repeating boss in Skyward Sword?

He grows more features every time you fight him and when his final form is literally a Ganondorf crossed with Akuma and it's probably one of the coolest end boss fights in Zelda.

Ghirahim is kind of silly though, you just gotta embrace his crazy throughout Skyward Sword.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Your Computer posted:

So.. what's the benefit of adding people's codes? :v:

I think there's more likelyhood for them to show up on your Adventure Map - when you do a mission with a Network Link on your adventure map, and it gives you a bonus reward. But I've also had Network Links show up on my map that aren't on my buddy list, so I don't know if buddy list dudes have better rewards.

e: Gonna start adding people to the second post soon

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
I have not got Ghiriham yet, but can't you cancel out of most animations using dodge?

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Unlucky7 posted:

I have not got Ghiriham yet, but can't you cancel out of most animations using dodge?

Yes, you can. He's still pretty dumb though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Unlucky7 posted:

Yup and that's what the game wants you to do. I love playing as him and summoning a bunch of ghosts then dashing away while they run across the field mowing everything down.

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
How do I get the gauntlets? I think I'm in the right square for them but don't know where to use my search item.

Suaimhneas
Nov 19, 2005

That's how you get tinnitus

Brackhar posted:

It's much less annoying in Hyrule Warriors, since you can take out all its toes in one special attack, the shockwave from its footsteps is smaller and doesn't linger as long, and your movement is much faster so it isn't a constant struggle just to keep up with it.

My god that was a terrible boss

Indigo Cephalopods
Oct 26, 2012

Justice Rains From Above

Alteisen posted:

How do I get the gauntlets? I think I'm in the right square for them but don't know where to use my search item.

Use a compass, it'll tell you the exact square to use the item on.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
Do any of the devastating attacks maps. Use Zelda with baton. Mash Y. You're goddamn welcome.

MarquiseMindfang
Jan 6, 2013

vriska (vriska)
I'm gonna go through the thread so far and add people, if you get requests from MarquiseMindfang that's why. If you didn't get one, add me if you like!

MarquiseMindfang fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Sep 29, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ThePhenomenalBaby
May 3, 2011
Anyone having trouble downloading the Ganondorf costumes? I get an error with Paper Mario every time. Luckily it doesn't use up the To Do List option.
Says something about site maintenance. Is Paper Mario trying to bullshit me???????????

• Locked thread