Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Chew on that... you overgrown son of a bitch.

I'll hop on the NNID train. liquidypoo is mine. It's been a while since I've added someone on the WiiU, we actually have friend requests now, right? Nintendo started to do some smart things?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

How often are you guys seeing Network Links? So far I've only seen two of them, and they were both at the very beginning of my adventure mode sessions.

Also it took me like a day to get the "network link" word play. I am a dumb.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

So there's something that's been bugging me a little bit: where's our butt rock version of the Gerudo Valley theme?

I mean, we got a butt rock version of the OoT House music <:mad:>

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Misandu posted:

That's a shame but it's what I figured. In that case I'm even more impressed they managed to come up with a bunch of really fun to use mechanics like they did for Hyrule Warriors!

I want to elaborate on this a little bit: they're just starting to go nuts with certain weapons, but for the most part they're going to be run of the mill spears and swords and whatnot. Examples of crazy movesets that I can think of include the handheld gatling gun, a weird armblade thing that can act as a surfboard, a pressurized air cannon, and gigantic gauntlets meant more for grabbing and wrestling dudes than just punching them.

Unfortunately, those hilarious sounding things are just a drop in the boring weapons bucket. It's strange how it never occurred to me how boring most Dynasty Warriors weapons are until I played Hyrule Warriors.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Inverness posted:

Does the series not have magic or something? That opens up a lot of possibilities when it comes to weapons.

Sort of? They've always had some extremely mild references to magic here and there, with things along the lines of an enemy officer or general summoning wind to blow down a canyon, forcing you to take an alternate path or some garbage. Sometimes someone conjures up phantom troops that you can't damage and can only be rid of them when you destroy comically large magical jars.

They're only just now realizing, "Hey, we can do really fun things with this," giving us stuff like a guy who wields a giant paintbrush and just paints images of tigers and poo poo in midair on the battlefield, or replacing one guy's boring sword with an infinite supply of cartoon bombs that he just throws in different patterns for each strong attack. Even then, it's still really subdued and nowhere near as good as what they did in HW.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Actually the only item that is objectively worthless is the boomerang. If it stunned officers for even a little bit I'd love the hell out of it, but otherwise it's only good for its one job: the Manhandla.

The other items are pretty great. Especially powered up bombs. Great for clearing out mooks much faster than working your way towards your favorite combo finisher. I'd say everything but the boomerang actually have extra uses outside of monster bosses/terrain things they do.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Quick tip I wanna throw out there: if a boss monster is stubbornly refusing to let you damage them and you have a full magic bar or easy access to a full magic bar, just activate your magic and interrupt it with your special. That actually knocks those guys into their weak point animations just like it does to the regular officers.

I'm pretty sure the game tells you this, but I honestly just assumed it wouldn't work on those guys until a King Dodongo was being a jackass and I wanted to clear mooks away from under his feet.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Someone earlier in the thread had said they were using it to reliably stun officers, but I wasn't really getting that. When I tried that out, they either blocked it or were stunned for as long as it took for me to hit them once, where they would then immediately resume their blocking spree. I maintain that the only uses the boomerang has are its two utility uses, and nothing more.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

That's the worst for me on the Hard Skulltula in Lake Hylia. I'll finish off King Dodongo, and then Sheik's face disappears off of the gamepad a couple seconds later. Guess which announcement the game prioritizes? :suicide:

I dunno what you guys did to get that one. I read someone say that you should leave the trash enemies behind so that Sheik isn't fighting the enemy commander, but it seems like the trash officers melt her just as fast as the commander does. I'm feeling like I gotta wait until I can play some local co-op to get it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Cador_2004 posted:

They managed it with Dynasty Warriors 8 I think, at least with the Playstation 3. Probably just wasn't a priority when they were developing the game.

The PS4 version has it as well, but last I checked it just flat-out did not work. You would start a stage with your pal, and be able to play maybe 5 minutes before it dropped the connection and abruptly killed the stage. You don't even get to finish it if it drops the co-op.

Being the nerd that I am, I tweeted Techmo Koei US about it, and all I got in reply was them favoriting the tweet. We did eventually get a patch but I never tested it out again.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Silver, I think I was able to do that one by saving the fairy for the boss keep, and taking an alternate route to get to the allies. It's the Hyrule Castle Field/Courtyard/Whatever one, right? I'm pretty sure that, as much of a pain in the rear end it looks like, you should be able to cut around everyone in the northwest path. Although I get the feeling I'm misremembering, and that's the one that arbitrarily puts a wall exactly where I'm telling you to go.

Either way, much as it pains me to say it, there's usually an alternate path in those missions that lets you hold onto the fairy for the boss keep. Doesn't change how much bullshit it is, though.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

The more I think about the Happy Mask Salesman as a potential warrior, the more I like him. His weapon is the mask bag, and all of his attacks oughta be tied to the various masks from the games. I say "games" because OoT actually had a couple that weren't in MM, like the redead mask, and uh..

So anyway! Slapping on masks real quick to do attacks related to them as standard attacks, and some of the more significant masks are combo finishers. Basically, he'd transform into a goron or deku scrub real quick to do related attacks. I haven't decided if I'd like it more for his special attack or his charge 5, but he should definitely pull his organ out of his pocket dimension and play the song of healing for one of those. Throw in the boss masks somewhere for good measure, too. I wanna see Goht charge through a crowd of mooks.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

So while trying to find my best option for getting Ganon's Fang, I found this here page that seemingly lists out all materials, what they come from, and suggested farming stages. Figured I'd share with the class.

Sorry if some of the formatting in this post is weird, mobile posting sucks.

edit: yep totally botched that and had to fix it

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 20:28 on Oct 31, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I'll never understand the "But it came out [amount of time] ago!" deflection. Time since release has no real bearing on whether or not a person has played a game. To put this in perspective: there are people reading Elentor's FF7 LP that have never played the game and haven't had it spoiled for them, and we even have a blind LP of Ocarina of Time being done by Faerie Fortune.

Relevancy I can kinda understand, but it's still a shock to find out for the first time.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Man, if C is just Charge, then why is a standing strong attack C1? It hasn't been charged by anything!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Hey man if Zelda's an option when it comes to devastating attacks, I'm all over that baton. A straight line of instakill, or a giant cone of instakill? I, for one, go with the giant cone.

There's something satisfying about leaving one of the larger devastating attacks stages with over a thousand KOs. It's completely unnecessary, but it's also nice to take a couple seconds and make sure no random mooks are gonna try to bonk me as I pass by.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I'm sorry, Shadow Ninja 64. I see your Link all the time, but the reward never looks like something I want.

Touche, Twelve by Pies, touche. That's even better when you consider the water shield.

Also if you guys haven't finished the grid square with Hyrule castle in it, be prepared to get booted to the main menu when you complete it. I thought it was kinda funny; make sure you take the flavor text at the map screen seriously.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Is there another way to get someone's 8-bit weapons other than just doing another A-rank on the stage that unlocks it? Ganondorf is real close to being a keyblade master and I'd really like it if I didn't need to light arrow cheese that stage again.

I'm expecting the answer to be "dumb luck," and it's gonna be a huge bummer when someone has to post that :smith:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

That's less of a bummer than I'd thought! I didn't really consider Network Links. The icon usually says Lv.3 next to whatever weapon it is, so I kinda assumed that would exclude Lv.* weapons. I guess I'll try it out after work tomorrow and see what's up. Thanks!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

This loving game is taunting me. I've gotten two more of Ganondorf's lvl* weapons, and they've only offered an increase in stars. Did the original stage again, then a network Link appeared with one. What's a guy gotta do to get some drat slots on a special weapon?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I got it! It was so drat simple and I feel like an idiot for not trying it. Once you have your basic no-slot lvl* weapon, go test it out on a rack up KOs mission. I went to the lower left Master Quest one with a slots 3 potion and got a 5 star 8-bit magical key with 8 goddamn slots.

Go try it out and see if this is actually a sure thing. I get the idea that using the actual lvl* weapons will give you a better chance of getting them anywhere.

Edit: just did it again and now Link has a worthwhile candle on a stick

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 03:38 on Dec 13, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

My 'Dorf is only 107, I think. He still does dick-all as far as damage goes in that stage. Just make the buff items potion, and light arrow stunlock all the dangerous things. In a weird way, it works faster since you aren't waiting for openings and dealing with a turtley opponent. Just keep an eye on your KOs, because you don't get nearly the same amount of collateral damage as you would with your actual weapons.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Now go try 'em out in the lower left corner Master Quest rack up KOs mission to get a good version! Craft a slots potion for good measure.

VV they're the 8-bit magical key. Or maybe keys. Don't remember if it's plural.

liquidypoo fucked around with this message at 15:59 on Dec 17, 2014

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I used to swear by summoning the stationary beetles all the time, but then I played an Agitha restricted mission and tried out the one that throws a tornado out. That one's way better, and if you hit an officer with it, you can follow up by mashing your strong attack until you're on a butterfly and hit 'em with that, too. The tornado launches suckas into perfect butterfly light attack range. Plus you get to have a little breathing room; the stationary beetles require you to get a little too close.

That said, I still avoid Agitha like the plague. Totally unfun to play as.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I now know why I didn't think the boomerang does anything to player characters: it doesn't do anything to Volga. The north segment of the Termina map is so goddamn cruel because of this. You can either A rank a mission as Agitha, or A rank a quiz that involves Volga. Since he's not stunned by the boomerang, he hounds you relentlessly while you try to pick off Midna. Both of these missions are blocking off an important part of the map.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I got the hitstun sound of him grunting, and not the shield clang sound. No boomerang stun on him. I'll keep trying it, but Volga just did not give a poo poo

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

BlueOccamy posted:

Oh, and my husband and I got the rupee glitch the other night so we bumped everyone up to at least level 100 and took a buncha skills off weapons that we otherwise really want to use and it was great :D

Arbitrary Coin posted:

Wait, Rupee glitch? I haven't heard of it.

Yeah, what's the deal with that? I tried looking around using Google and all I'm getting is "Play the adventure map where you fight two Gohmas as Lana and maybe you'll leave with 99 mil rupees." That narrows it down a bit, but I need more details!

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Oh my god that Wind Waker theme :stwoon:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Or we could stop making any assumptions at all? Maybe that could be a good idea?

It's a single, untranslated trailer that we (presumably) weren't meant to see yet. Assumptions, of the good or of the bad, are a bit more than stupid at this early juncture.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Stupid digital preorder. "The scheduled release date for the purchased item has passed. Launch this software while connected to the Internet to check distribution information."

Doing what it tells me to do nets me a "Please wait until distribution has begun."

:confused:

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Hey, next time you're on a loading screen, press buttons that aren't the A button. So, you know, play around with L, R, B, Y, and X.

This is new, right? I don't remember it happening on the Wii U, at least.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I keep having dumb ideas for what Linkle's second weapon will be. Roc's Feather combined with stompy boots, cucco feed, the fishing rod. Maybe a bug net that summons bees. This is what happens when I've got nothing to do at work.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

... the trident could have been a bit better than it ended up being.

You've said something like this before and I just don't understand it at all. You're the reason I set my expectations low for the trident, only for them to be blown sky high when I actually tried it out. You've gotta be doing something wrong because the trident is basically my new favorite thing.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Folt The Bolt posted:

condescension followed by a lot of words

Well the trident is new and shiny and fun. Also the giant monster weak point smash is just fantastic. Load up your Wii U Hurl Wars so you can see it.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Yeah, fairy magic is hosed up. I don't get it. I've had a single cast of fairy magic rack up 812 KOs. I'd like to know exactly what it's doing so I could take advantage of that more often. Accounting for mooks that haven't physically spawned yet, maybe?

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Counterpoint: I've had it lock onto a Darknut instead of Lana. They were both right next to each other, close to center stage.

My lock-on advice is to just accept that it's not at all good, and work with it as best you can instead of fighting it. I've had the thing shift lock to the right when I pressed the C-nub left to look at a different officer. In my experience, it's just bad.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

Uh. Did we know about a second way to trigger infinite crazy meter on Zant? I know the old way was to tornado your way into a character intro cutscene, and that was patched out. In Legends, I just did a strong attack to activate crazy mode the instant before a focus spirit ran out of time, and ended up finishing the rest of the Rack Up KOs mission as a tornado.

The specific series of events was me pressing X to take Zant's helmet off and I started mashing Y to do the tornado. As soon as his helmet was down, the timeout focus spirit finisher happened, and when Zant shrank back down, I started mashing Y again and the crazy meter just did not deplete.

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

I miss the big dumb 8 bit weapons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

liquidypoo
Aug 23, 2006

As far as I can tell, yeah. Instead of having a separate level * weapon category, we get level 4 weapons with higher base damage. Seems like they all have 7 skill slots to start with, too.

edit - It's worth noting that they have the same weapon model as the level 3 weapons. The only difference is that they have a + at the end of their name, and the weapon icon has a gold background.

• Locked thread