Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Any tips (or links) on how to not suck completely at this game? :smith:
I absolutely love the game, but I'm terrible at keeping track of so many things at once(different people and keeps needing defending, enemies needing killing, objectives needing completing) and while I read that most people think normal difficulty is way too easy I've failed several missions and adventure mode stuff on easy..

I'm hoping it's mostly because I don't get the type of game yet, but I often feel that it's already too late once it warns me. Like there's not even any red on the map and I suddenly get "we're losing the allied base" because apparently one moblin got in there on his own and took over the base himself. Not to mention getting two "we're completely screwed" messages, one on each side of the map.

It was mentioned in the Zelda thread, but I never saw a reply, is there a way to "heal" your keeps in any way? I've lost several fights after saving the allied base with a sliver left of it's HP only to lose it seconds after I leave because some mook tickled a soldier or something. Also, do enemies some times spawn infinitely even when there isn't an outpost anywhere nearby? In one mission I failed the mission because I was defending the keep from seemingly ever-spawning mooks until eventually a different keep fell and we lost.

I also feel like I never actually have time to take over non-mission-related enemy keeps because by the time I take over the keep one (or several, even) of our keeps are overrun.

Please teach me how to play this game, I love it so much but I suck so bad :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Dastardly posted:

If a character is in danger then you need to book it as fast as you possibly can.

I'm assuming this also means unnamed characters (Hyrulean captains)?

Evil Mastermind posted:

One of the most important things to remember is that it's not a race.

It... it's not isn't it? :downs:
Going to go ahead and guess this is what I'm doing the most wrong. It's not a "hell yeah let's murder some mooks" either, it's more like "oh poo poo if I don't rush them right away they'll take all of our keeps". I'll try taking it slower next time.

Thanks for the advice so far!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So.. what's the benefit of adding people's codes? :v:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Should I try to play as all the characters, or will I have enough rupees to boost the ones I don't like playing as when I inevitably need to play as them for a mission?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
So uh, with Legends just around the corner I realized I've played waaaaay to little of this game. However as I started it up I remembered why I haven't played it more, and it's because I'm incredibly bad at management. :( It just really stresses me out when a dozen NPCs are all yelling at me, keeps are in danger and goals are changing. I think I just haven't learned to filter all the info properly yet, and I'm so bad at prioritizing that I spend a lot of time simply running like a rubber band between stuff. It's not that I keep losing all the time or anything, I'm just stressed because it feels like I'm constantly failing.

Do the different difficulty settings make a huge difference? I'm honestly having enough fun just playing around with the different characters and weapons that I'm wondering if I should just put the game on Easy and try to stop stressing :kiddo: Any tips from the thread on how to git gud (well, how to prioritize anyway) would also be greatly appreciated.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips! Another question I have, is there any practical way to try out weapons? I haven't found any sort of training mode or practice map and googling only returns results for the Training Dojo (which of course has nothing to do with it at all).

I just want to learn some combos without NPCs constantly screaming at me :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I just tried out the Hyrule Warriors Legends demo for the 3DS and it feels like the game is running at 20 FPS with slowdowns. It's better on the N3DS right? I've preordered a ~*~Hyrule Edition~*~ N3DS XL so it shouldn't be a problem, but I have no idea when that'll show up.

Dunban posted:

There's no dedicated training mode or anything, but the very first square that you start at on the first Adventure Mode map is a good place to try out weapons. It's got a decent amount of mooks, some enemy captains, one giant boss, no allies that need help and no bases that need to be defended. Plus, the enemies are all pretty weak so there's really no danger of dying.

That's an excellent idea! Thanks :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Thanks for the tips everyone!

I do feel that a lot of Legend Mode is pretty hectic, but I had no idea about the text box thing. That certainly explains a couple of odd moments! Maybe I'm rushing and just need to slow down, I often found myself clearing out a bunch of keeps and stuff while the characters were talking, only to have all the enemies reappear (how can you get reinforcements teleported into everything I already cleared :argh:) I'm super terrible at using items too, though I blame this in part on me mostly playing on the gamepad with no TV. Having to scroll through items is pretty slow, and very confusing mid-battle.

Speaking of hectic, I just did the last boss for the first time (chickened out last time) and man what an utter clusterfuck. I did myself no favors by picking Midna, because the camera is so low that the constant thunder AoE wasn't visible (unless I titled the camera up) and the slowdown during the boss fight(s) was so bad that I couldn't get any combos off. :saddowns:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I thought I loved this game, but after being stuck on an adventure space with The Imprisoned now for over an hour I'm starting to change my mind.

Jesus that boss nearly singlehandedly made Skyward Sword a Bad Game and he's almost worse in this one, it doesn't help that you're fighting him inside a keep so the camera is constantly freaking the gently caress out either. Game, why are you bad. Let me love you.

e: while I'm mad/bad at videogames I'm definitely enjoying Adventure Mode more than Legend Mode however

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Mar 23, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of things I'm not super fond of, are giant bosses supposed to take a really long time to kill or am I doing something wrong?

There was an adventure space where I just had to kill two King Dodongos which sounds easy enough, but I almost ran out of time because they just wouldn't do their inhale. They're basically invulnerable outside of the weak point attack and even that only took 1/3 of their health so it took several minutes just to kill one. I'm having a similar problem with a lot of enemies where I can't reliably bait out an attack, and I have zero idea how to get better at it :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
What on earth are you supposed to do in the square three left from the beginning in the regular adventure map?

It starts off with 3 bombchus with very short trips and 3 messengers who gets reinforcements. Unless I'm missing a "nuke from orbit" button, it's literally impossible to get all of them, and when just a single one of them succeeds the enemy gets a morale boost and destroys the allied base. I just don't understand it, you also need to get a fairy, get a key, get to the keep on the other side of the map and kill the enemy commander and I haven't even gotten halfway through this before our keep gets taken. Hell, it gets taken even if I'm inside of it the entire time. :iiam:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got Agitha so now the game is good again, but I have a question; How do I go about grinding rupees, weapons and/or levels? I'm getting my rear end kicked in a lot of adventure mode spaces and I figure it probably has something to do with my characters being low level and having poo poo badges and weapons. Do I just do the same (easy) adventure mode spaces over and over or is there a better way?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Wow, thanks! Another quick question; what level ranges are you "supposed" to be in for the various maps? So far I've only tried the regular Adventure Map but even there it seems like difficulty varies wildly and I haven't seen any indication of how difficult. There's the red areas that you mentioned, and I've also seen that some maps have a "Level: x" on them but I have no idea what that actually means. :shobon:

e: since I haven't made much headway in Adventure Mode, most of my characters are probably between 1 and 20 with a couple around 30 :(

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Mar 23, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
"Rack Up KOs" maps being the "kill X mooks in Y time" type maps right? I totally have all the DLC even if I've barely played this game, probably because the kid in me is dying of fanservice shock :shobon:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

I will play this game 200% more on a handheld than a console so im fine with getting Legends.

:yeah: That's exactly what I was thinking too.

I see the game is out now... Would I be a huge dummy if I bought the game for my old 3DS while waiting for my new one to arrive? There's still a few days until I get my New 3DS and I'm doing a system transfer anyway.. Right? :ohdear:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Your Computer posted:

I see the game is out now... Would I be a huge dummy if I bought the game for my old 3DS while waiting for my new one to arrive? There's still a few days until I get my New 3DS and I'm doing a system transfer anyway.. Right? :ohdear:

RE:This

I can't even buy the game because Smash is taking up all the space on my memory card :negative: I just wanted the download code so I could play the new characters while I wait for my New 3DS..

e: completely unrelated but I finally figured out what the Magic Jar sound reminded me of, it has been bugging me since I started playing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QFCSXr6qnv4&t=116s
(1:56)

Why must I hear this every time, brain please stop :cripes:

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 04:29 on Mar 24, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Oh my god, the fairy stuff. Dress-up is exactly what this game needed, this went straight to GOTY for me :swoon:

I thought the Legend mode was supposed to be about Linkle but so far (first mission) it's the same, I guess that might happen later in the story. I'm playing it on my old 3DS because I just couldn't wait, and the enemies are incredibly sparse to the point where my biggest combos are around 15. Unless I'm missing something, getting A's in Adventure Mode seems like it will be next to impossible if you still need 1200 KOs and a time limit.

e: also the pacing seems a bit different from the Wii U since you're encouraged to break all pots and capture all keeps in order to get fairy items.

Your Computer fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Mar 24, 2016

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
While I'm not a fan of the ditsy blonde stereotype/cliché, Linkle is pretty endearing. I think it's her hilarious rendition of the fanfare that won me over :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Cicadas! posted:

News to me, though I haven't really been following along too closely. Just exciting that my favorite Zelda game is getting representation in any form.

Any details on what characters they'll be pulling from it?

No info yet, but I still get excited every time I read that there's Link's Awakening DLC coming :swoon: This game is already an overload of fanservice and it seems they're determined to go all the way.
Just knowing this game exists makes me giddy, but I can play it... on my 3DS... anywhere. My child self would have been mindblown.

By the way, does anyone know if the DLC costumes are part of Legends? I absolutely love Link's Classic outfit because, well, nostalgia.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Bruceski posted:

Apparently they're all on the various adventure maps.

Sweet. They're really piling on incentives to do everything, with fairies and food in pots, clothes and weapons in chests, characters and costumes. I feel like I'll be playing this for a looong time.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

BattleMaster posted:

I hope it's Game Boy Link who is inexplicably monochrome spinach in colour.

We already got this guy so I'm happy :3:

Twelve by Pies posted:

Of course, "making sense" doesn't seem to matter much (I mean we got Agitha rather than Ashei or Rusl or someone)

Agitha is the best, so it makes sense :colbert: (actually Medli is the best but we're getting her too) I think they're wonderful at picking characters, like who would ever think that you're going to play a Zelda beat 'em up as King Daphnes Nohansen Hyrule transforming into a boat and slapping enemies with a sail in 2016.

It's amazing how this game is piling on the fanservice but somehow manages to keep the spirit of the characters and just do everything right. It doesn't feel like a hollow fan-game (like so many on the internet), it really feels like you're playing those characters and all the little touches both to the world itself (with the pots and items and everything) and the characters makes it constantly trigger every nostalgia-button in my body.

mabels big day posted:

I hope its Groose

There's so going to be a "The Groose is loose" reveal trailer.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Man, I love the ability to switch between heroes. Since my biggest problem with this game is getting stressed out ("Keep needs your help! Hero needs you help! Saboteurs incoming! Kill the Giant Boss!" how am I supposed to prioritize :gonk:), being able to essentially jump around the map as threats pop up makes everything so much smoother. It also means more variety since you're not stuck fighting as the same person all the time, which is fun. You can even strategically use the different heroes for their different movesets where one handles mook-killing, another handles officers and maybe a third handles the Giant Bosses, I love it! I struggled with the first Manhandla map (Valley of Seers) on the Wii U but it was an absolute blast on the 3DS and I utilized all four heroes as much as I could.

Only thing I dislike so far (well, apart from the old 3DS frame rate) is that the badge shop and adventure map are so zoomed in. Having to scroll and scroll with no option to get an overview is pretty awful, and it makes it a lot harder to see whether someone has new badges available. There's the percentage view but.... that doesn't really help with anything at all.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
You know what sucks? Clearing out the entire map and only having 800 kills :whitewater: Having to actively camp for enemy respawns and being careful not to take their keeps/outposts in order to get an A is some bad game design.

That said, drat do I love Legends. The addition of Command and being able to control multiple characters is a huge game changer for me, so I'm having a blast.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

same, i'm on new 3ds qnd gaving no problems reaching 2000+ kills

I'm on an old 3ds and like I said in my earlier post I've frequently wiped out a map (no red, everything is blue) while only getting ~800 kills. There are pretty few enemies on screen at one time, and while I'm pretty sure that I'm hitting some enemies that I can't see, I frequently use special attacks only to see new enemies appear right where I used the attack once the dead ones despawn. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

SeANMcBAY posted:

Since Linkle is also getting a new weapon with the LA pack, I hope they give her some kind of crazy bomb arrow gun or something.

Bomb arrows should be in more Zeldas.

Being allied with cuccos, her attack should clearly be the glitch(?) where you throw your boomerang, fly up with the flying rooster and now you're constantly hovering with a boomerang of death constantly spinning underneath you. How great wouldn't that be for clearing mooks :colbert:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
This is going to sound like a dumb question if I'm missing something obvious, but is there a way to "save" a keep? If a keep gets raided, it kinda seems like it's easier to just let the enemy get it then take it back. Of course, this can't be done with the allied base and I'm having trouble with the "everything at once"-maps (often with multiple enemies, bombchus, saboteurs, summoners) because once the allied base has taken some damage I have no idea how/if I can heal it back. I feel like I've failed maps while I'm still inside the allied base just because mobs keep coming and the "health" is constantly draining.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Suaimhneas posted:

If enemies keep coming then they must be coming from somewhere. Try capturing all the keeps/outposts nearest your base early on so you have a buffer. Or maybe there's some objective you failed at that caused the enemy to gain reinforcements or morale and that's why they're overwhelming your guys.

I'm going to go with this :negative: It's that specific type of map, though they lack a naming convention like "Kill X enemies in Y amount of time" or "Weapon trials". They always start you off with a buttload of things coming at you, namely bombchus, saboteurs, etc. while also getting a morale boost because they're squishing the second enemy way on the other side of the map. It's everything I'm bad at condensed into a single game type. :(

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Can't wait to play as this guy

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
I finally got my New 3DS and wow :swoon: Hyrule Warriors Legends GOTY forever.

While I found it surprisingly playable on the old 3DS (to the point where I no longer agree with the goon consensus of "don't buy HWL for O3DS"), it feels incredibly good to play this with a decent framerate. Having the ZL button for targeting is also pretty huge and feels really natural, and of course being able to use my amiibos is nice.

Also nth-ing the Linkle love, the range on her basic combo is insane for clearing out mooks and it makes "All attacks are devastating" maps pretty easy since you can just autoattack out of reach and still kill everything. Of course, the best part about Linkle is immediately using a strong attack when the map starts :kimchi:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Silver Falcon posted:

What combos of hers work for that? I've always just used the bow on those stages.

I just use her basic combo and it works wonders. The range is really good and it even pulls enemies in.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

HenryEx posted:

Has anyone found out what exactly triggers Linkle's little victory fanfare?

Press the heavy attack button when your pew-pew meter is empty (for example, right after starting a map) :3:

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

LOCUST FART HELL posted:

look, i'd really appreciate it if you'd all stop insulting my robot sword wife

I'm sorry but your wife is trash garbage. She was trash in the game she came from and I'm glad she's trash in this one as well, because she belongs in the dump. :colbert:

Skyward Sword could have been a good game, drat it. Fi is the BonziBuddy of video game companions. She makes Clippy look helpful.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

mabels big day posted:

Medli gameplay footage!!!!!

https://youtu.be/aC6oVcxuP78

She looks like a combination of the Wind Waker and Agitha

She's uh, pretty high-pitched.

That said, I'm so happy they're adding her because Teen Bird Girl is the best character, and she looks super fun to play :kimchi:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
It feels really lovely to use a screen-clearing huge attack only to see the minimap still filled with red dots, followed by just as many mooks appearing out of thin air :( I wish the game just scaled down the amount of enemies and the requirements for killing them to a point that the console can actually render. Or just let us hit the ones who aren't rendered, but I guess that would take a bit hit on the performance.

• Locked thread