Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

My NNID is RegyRusty. Can anyone do a writeup on what kinds of benefits you get from both sides of Network battles?

Anyway here's my biggest advice to people if you're having trouble getting overwhelmed by all the things going on - pause frequently. Your pause menu gives you a bigger map, and more importantly, if you go to "Battlefield Info" you can see the location and health of all allies, keeps, and enemy commanders. Use this to find people who need help, or to see where the enemy raiders are attacking so you can go kill them. It's incredibly useful. Remember that this is half a strategy game, and that part doesn't have to be fast paced!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Why are you guys talking about rumors and gamefaqs whispers regarding skulltullas? The game specifically tells you exactly what the requirements are for each skulltulla in every level.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Bicyclops posted:

Wait, really? I thought that just listed combos and weapon info! Everything that gives me difficulty in this game is like, written in big red letters that say "HERE'S HOW YOU DO THIS, YOU IDIOT."

Yep, it has that but the last option is "Check Skulltulas".

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

What's so great about the Naginata? It doesn't feel nearly as good as the Giant's knife. What am I missing?

Have you upgraded its combos all the way? Because the last one is one of the most incredible crowd clearing moves I've seen so far.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

No you just need to get the Naginata (it's the closest weapon in adventure mode) and then craft all the "wooden sword" badges for Impa since those are what give the Naginata more moves.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I admit I haven't been paying any attention to the best places to get any given materials, but just by fooling around in adventure mode I had that weapon fully upgraded before too long.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

In legend mode, pieces of heart always appear by capturing a keep. Heart containers are more annoying since they could be hidden anywhere. I haven't found many of them.

I'm adventure mode I'm not 100% what the rules are. I think all of both I've found so far have been from capturing keeps.

Basically just always capture all keeps and at least you'll get some of them.

E: severely beaten

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Someone remind me what button toggles the map zoom in. It keeps happening tonight and I don't like it.

E: I also just got my first secondary Adventure Mode Skulltula. I think this is the moment when I begin to get competent at this game.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Thanks Internet posted:

Up/Down on the D-pad.

Thanks. I must be hitting it with my thumb or something stupid.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Aw hell yes level 2 gauntlets, naginata and even freaking Deku Spear. I am on a roll tonight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"Goron Captain defeated Impa"

:stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

DrPaper posted:

Goron Captain and Hyrule Captain should be added as DLC characters tbqh

Agreed.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Rirse posted:

I saw in my game today Hyrule Captain killed Wizzaro. I didn't even know he was even in the battle!

I hadn't even approached Impa as she was acting as the commander in an optional keep and I already had everything I needed, so I just went around to head for the rest of the map. But I guess Goron Captain had other ideas!

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I wish I had the time to play this as much as you guys. I love it.

Yeah me too. I see people in this thread talking about how they're all level 50+ already and meanwhile my guys are still in the teens and 20s.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I want an adventure mode map where all enemies and allies are cuccos.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

"Attend the party of cuccos!"

Does that map square count?

I don't know, I haven't found that yet! I'm excited now.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok Ruto is a bizarre character. I don't really understand how to play as her. What do you do use to fight stronger single enemies? All her attacks seem slow and focused on crowd clearing so I keep getting hit a huge amount while trying to fight Link and Sheik at the same time in an adventure mode stage.

And her strong wave attack always starts off facing the wrong direction??? So I can never get it off before they hit me.

E: Well apparently the mission was extremely generous because I lost half my health and still got an A rank. Ruto tips would still be appreciated however.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 00:40 on Oct 2, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

everyone posted:

Face towards enemies you dunce!

Oh man I can't believe I didn't realize that. I understood that concept from things like Darunia's and Midna's special attacks but it didn't occur to me that's what was going on with Ruto.

That level where you have to defeat the 3 groups of enemies with Ruto is the next one I'm gonna try (just took a break to get Darunia's Level 2 hammer, aw yeah) so we'll see how those tips go.

E: Wait what the gently caress. It won't let me play that level now even though I attempted it earlier. It's giving me the "You haven't met the requirements" message. Is it glitching?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Ok so here's something bizarre. Apparently the game can get confused on certain adventure mode squares if you're trying to enter them while the walking around sprite isn't the character it expects. I switched it to Ruto by entering and exiting another level and now it's letting me play the "Defeat all enemies" stage. That's really weird.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

God drat midna is absolutely incredible. If you can get her combos going she can practically ignore commanders blocking entirely and send them flying as though they were but worms. I just got her level 2 shackles and Lana was absolutely helpless against me.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Inverness posted:

Does anyone have a complete guide to what each of the unlockables are in adventure mode? I never seem to have enough item cards and I want to prioritize certain things before others. In particular I'm looking for the level 2 power gloves.

Those are in adventure mode and you'll need a candle. Third row from the bottom, fifth column from the right.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Are we sure it's okay for me to be playing as Ganondorf? Because I'm not so certain. :stare:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

THE loving MOON posted:

It's always okay to play as Ganondorf. :geno:

B-but he's a monster.

I just used him for the first time on the level to unlock Agitha and he tore through it and A-ranked it effortlessly. One hit destroyed all enemy weak points. He exploded the entire battlefield.

im scared

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Oct 2, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lobster Harmonica posted:

Why can't I access this battle if it's already unlocked?

I desperately need the power bracelet to progress and have been stuck here for two days

I posted about this earlier - try switching the walking character to Ruto by entering another map as her and then quitting out. You can still play it as anyone if you just need the bracelet but I think it's a glitch where the game will only let Ruto enter.

I think that other map near Agitha may be similarly glitched but playing further in Legend mode fixed it (I didn't get in there until after unlocking Ganondorf. )

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Yeah, I noticed the A rank reward was for a character I hadn't unlocked. So i'm guessing that once I unlock that character i'll be ok.

Nope that A rank reward is for one of the last two characters and you do not need them to play it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

My problem with taking keeps is half the time I get to one there's nobody in there. There's a couple dozen guys I kill immediately doing about 1/5 the keeps damage and then wait for more to respawn. It takes forever. Anyone else have the same problem?

Also does anyone know if chest opening cut scene time is counted against your time?

This is how it's supposed to work. A good tip is to lure more powerful enemies inside because killing them seems to take a bigger hit off the gauge. You can also make sure to bypass a bunch of mooks outside so they'll chase after you and you won't have to wait for respawns. But sometimes if you're going for an isolated keep you just have to accept that it's gonna take a bit of time to capture.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

Where are you getting that information?

It's legit, my uncle who works at Nintendo confirmed it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I wish when you unlocked a character in adventure mode there was an immediate normal keep capturing mission to practice with them. It's hard to get the feel for a new character on the more gimmicky ones. I guess I should just suck it up and practice on free play with Agitha and Ruto.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 16:44 on Oct 2, 2014

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I beat Legend mode! :woop: Those were some drat cool final levels.

Man there's still so much stuff to do. Guess I'll complete the first skulltula thing and then head back to adventure mode to try and shoot for the rest of the weapons and characters.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Shadowlyger posted:

This right here. Stop trying to do adventure mode before finishing Legend Mode, people.

That's silly. There's a ton of adventure mode stuff you can do. Just realize that if something is difficult or being stubborn about unlocking, you should stop throwing yourself at it and progress in legend mode.

I wanted to space out legend mode and it was a lot of fun bouncing back and forth between the two.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Mayheim posted:

Today I did this to get Zant's level 3 weapon. He is now the second highest level among my warriors. :suicide:

Another good reason to alternate between the two is that Legend mode is incredibly relaxing in comparison :v:

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lessail posted:

I mentioned adding Groose in all of the text boxes in the post play survey so stand tall my Groose brothers and sisters

I have done this as well

It may be futile but I can only hope.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Really there's so much stuff they could do with Groose. Skyward sword only has two characters representing period - Fi and Girahim. Having Groose be the Skyward Sword gimmick character would be cool.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

greatn posted:

I bet the next Skyward Sword character will be Demise.

That's hosed up

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Golden cucco is just a bit stronger than the others and will dog your heels even more persistently than them. Killing him accomplishes nothing however.

I like how there's actually a ridiculous amount of different cucco mechanics. More keep showing up the longer I fool around with the game.

I've seen:

- Neutral cucco that can summon allies to attack either team if they damage it
- Cucco chick and Mama cucco which can be an ally if you get them together, or an enemy if you let cucco chick die
- A cucco that allies with you automatically and gets stronger the more enemies you kill
- A golden cucco that "feeds" at various bases to get stronger. I haven't ever left this guy alive long enough to see how dangerous he gets.
- Two cuccos fighting in a keep. Again I'm not sure how dangerous this gets if you don't put a stop to it.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The hard mode skulltulas are getting really cool. The one for Death Mountain requires you to beat Darunia twice and kill 1500 enemies all before the plot event is triggered that opens up the Keep and destroys Darunia's sirloin.

This means that you have to leave the West Boulder Keep in enemy control while you kill Darunia the second time, because if it's in your control when Impa reaches there she immediately shoots the boulder in it and you'll fail the Skulltula requirement. But leaving it in enemy control means that you have to let your base tank a boulder assault for a while. Which means it's extremely weak during the Bombchu assault. :psyduck:

I managed to beat it by tanking two Bombchus while I wailed on Darunia and the Poes, beating him moments before the final bombchu would've obliterated the base. Man that was close.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

PureRok posted:

How am I, someone who never used the Zelda controls, supposed to know that? How is that "being daft"?

Because for this entire thread everyone has been referring to the controls by the method they use, and by context it's not difficult to figure out what they mean because "spam dodge a whole bunch" isn't a move description.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

"All Attacks are Devastating" levels are just the best. Absolutely effortless to A-rank with any character, and incredibly quick if you need to get an item. If you need a basic item like a candle just find one of those maps because it's way less tedious than having to replay something longer just so you can access stuff on another square.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

I'll say it again - when things get hectic like in that Goron level use the pause button. It'll give you a breather and then you can use Battlefield info to see where all the bombchus and operators are. You can spend as long as you want plotting a route to deal with all of them.

It's really important to remember that the game does not intend you to strategize on the fly with the limited information of your minimap. If you don't use all the tools at your disposal you only make the game harder for yourself.

It is also possible to ignore the bombchus and kill Darunia really fast, but if it's your first time through the level that might be difficult.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

The GIG posted:

TO add to this, use mid battle saves to save time. If you keep getting blasted during a mission, next time do everything you know you can ace, then save and continue on, so if you do lose, you don't have to retry the entire map.

There's mid battle saves!? :psyboom:

E:

Regy Rusty posted:

If you don't use all the tools at your disposal you only make the game harder for yourself.

:suicide:

• Locked thread